Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-05-2014, 10:22 PM   #31
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 
Default Re: The future of spare parts

just a serious question

can taxi fare prices be bargained with?
even when the driver does not go the most direct way to the destination

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 26-05-2014, 12:12 AM   #32
SVR73
Mr Polish

I've bought most of my stuff from eBay sellers or direct from the manufacturer
Don't like stores much
SVR73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2014, 09:01 AM   #33
msman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter View Post
just a serious question

can taxi fare prices be bargained with?
even when the driver does not go the most direct way to the destination
taxis use a meter so they don't control the price!
if the driver takes you the long way round report it.
use you smart phone gps to work out KM and the price display stickers to work out $, will give you a figure fairly close, variance for slow moving traffic, lane being used etc

don't know why you ask that ratter? no one is forcing anyone
a taxi doesn't try to sell you a $10 item for $50, the only thing Ebay/internet has done is show you what an item can be sold for.
I understand a retail store has overheads but how much is reasonable?
also most auto parts stores around here have the worst customer service you can get, I am not paying a premium to be treated like an idiot.
msman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2014, 11:40 AM   #34
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

I've often considered buying online but in reality I'd rather just walk into a shop and get it on the spot.
In there lies the dilemma, yes its good to support bricks and mortar retailers, but in many cases they have to order it in, so why not cut out the middle man if you have to wait anyway.

I gave up on SC because everything needs to be ordered and some try to slug you an extra charge for the pleasure, like its my fault a parts place doesn't have my part in stock and im not talking exotic machines here.

Last week I went to Autobarn at Elizabeth for the $12.99 Gulf Western 15W-40 oil they had on special. Relax, i only use it in my Lancer hack.
Whilst there I asked for an oil filter.
Got to the check out...
'that will be $27.99 thanks'
'I beg your pardon, the oil is only $12.99'.
'Yeah, the filter is $15'
'You've got to be joking, I can get the same part around the corner for under $10, you've just put the price of the filter up to cover the discount on the oil.'
'Would you prefer a Wesfill filter?'
'How much?'
'I can do it for $11.'
'I suppose,'
I've used them plenty of times before and never had an issue, I change the oil every 7.5k so it never gets badly contaminated.

So the checkout chick tells another chick at the parts counter to get me a Wesfill filter.
The parts chick looks up the Wesfill filter on the computer and calls over telling me she can do it for $9.
The look on the checkout chicks face was priceless, embarrassed, belittled oh the joy it brought to me.
I paid the $21.99 and told them it will be the last time I will ever walk into their store.

From now on I will stick to my local independent, Parts Boys, even if it means paying a bit more, im not getting sucked into the franchise outlets bargain bait promotional again.

It would not surprise me if the whole industry gets a shakeup and online takes over to be honest, customer service and honesty are in fast decline.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2014, 11:42 AM   #35
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

so what about the meter, that's just a way to fix the price isn't it? somebody has to set the price

I guess you could compare internet shops Vs Bricks and mortar shops like comparing some civilian rocking up to a taxi rank in their private car and offering rides a lot cheaper than the taxi would do it for and then expecting taxi operators to start to match the price.

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2014, 11:56 AM   #36
pbk1776
00XR00

I'll say all the stuff I bought for my cars are 50/50 from ebay and in the shop. Things that I really need on the spot I go to the shop - but for other things or bigger parts I go to ebay.

With the technologies we have - it is easy to get reviews from people who bought items from an ebay seller - then you can make your own decisions if you want to buy online or in the shop
Old 26-05-2014, 12:02 PM   #37
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
so what about the meter, that's just a way to fix the price isn't it? somebody has to set the price

I guess you could compare internet shops Vs Bricks and mortar shops like comparing some civilian rocking up to a taxi rank in their private car and offering rides a lot cheaper than the taxi would do it for and then expecting taxi operators to start to match the price.
Security reasons dictate that every cab and driver are accredited, so it is not possible to just rock up and take their business.
I believe a company here in Adelaide tried it years ago with mini vans without success, they are now accredited and carry taxi plates.

Retail is different, the market sets the price, if your mark up is too extravagant you force people elsewhere and online is legal.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2014, 12:16 PM   #38
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I sorta do this already. Used to use a taxi to the airport which cost me $97 each way. Now use a limo service for $95, much nicer vehicle and he's waiting for me inside the aiport, helps with baggage etc and I don't have to join a taxi queue.

As for spare parts, so far i've bought over the counter and the knowledge of the staff I encounter has dropped, this goes for Repco (probably the best), Supercheap (same knowledge level as a Coles staff member) and a few dealers.

My mechanic neighbour sometimes has to order more than one type of the same part as the parts guy at the dealer doesn't know which ones to supply and this goes for VW, Renault, Hyundai.

If I were going to restore a car again (last one was a 68 Mustang GT ages ago), i'd simply car visit forums to gain my knowledge, then order parts online.

Last edited by Kieron; 26-05-2014 at 12:24 PM.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post