Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-08-2022, 10:57 AM   #31
buggo
[BU66OS]

Default Re: Monaro V Rubbish Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Terry View Post
Yeah, missed that, but why is he so far from the kerb.

I'd say the blame here is spread between a few drivers.

Truck going too fast & no care. Blue car stopped too far from the kerb & why is the Monaro sitting there at all ?

Dr Terry
Blue car is driving. In his lane. He is 0% to blame.

Monaro is stationary. Whether parked/broken down/ whatever. Doesn't matter. He's a stationary object on a roadway.

Truck is 100% to blame. You cannot just ram into cars because they're stopped and you think they shouldn't be there. It's ridiculous anybody could have any other opinion.

BA XR8 Manual
buggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 25-08-2022, 12:23 PM   #32
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Yeah, missed that, but why is he so far from the kerb.

I'd say the blame here is spread between a few drivers.

Truck going too fast & no care. Blue car stopped too far from the kerb & why is the Monaro sitting there at all ?

Dr Terry

He is bang in the middle of his lane. Who drives along the concrete of the gutter? End of the day is the truck had enough room to get passed if he exercised a little caution and care. If he didn’t have enough room he should have stopped and waited for a clear path. That size truck seams to navigate the inner west of Sydney everyday and be fine
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2022, 12:28 PM   #33
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Blue isnt parking, they're driving. They're in a perfectly sensible place in their lane. The bigger issue is the truck driver's impatience. It was obvious it was going to be a tight squeeze, but he wouldnt wait. Legally it will be on the truck driver 100%.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-08-2022, 12:57 PM   #34
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Reminds me of a few years ago when I was running the Safety Team at Winton for a come and try day, this was the last of the Commodore Monaro's, novated lease through Tesltra - so basically a company car kinda, but no insurance on a race track. Apparently he grabbed 2nd and not 4th in his excitement.

I watched it happen and thought I was gonna have to break out the Jaws of Life to get him and his wife out, but to the credit of the car, they both stepped out with basically nothing wrong. He got out and asked about a local panel beater, I told him it was well past that lol

Statutory write off - never to be repaired. I saw it come on for auction as it was fairly new, but parts only. The left hand front wheel was up near the door hinges

Video of it happening
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWotNeYsOJI

That is my Maverick in the background

Trevor 57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 25-08-2022, 01:30 PM   #35
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Blue isnt parking, they're driving. They're in a perfectly sensible place in their lane. The bigger issue is the truck driver's impatience. It was obvious it was going to be a tight squeeze, but he wouldnt wait. Legally it will be on the truck driver 100%.
I said that the Blue car was stopped, not parked. My point is that if you're going to stop & let somebody pass by, why wouldn't you stop closer to the kerb, not that "sensible" IMHO. He is lucky it wasn't him that was hit & not the Monaro.

You are correct though, legally the truck is 100% in the wrong here, the rest are all just contributing factors.

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2022, 03:54 PM   #36
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You are correct though, legally the truck is 100% in the wrong here, the rest are all just contributing factors.

Dr Terry
Spot on, regardless of whether a vehicle is parked legally or illegally you can't just run into it
Trevor 57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-08-2022, 04:08 PM   #37
FERG_51
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
Reminds me of a few years ago when I was running the Safety Team at Winton for a come and try day, this was the last of the Commodore Monaro's, novated lease through Tesltra - so basically a company car kinda, but no insurance on a race track. Apparently he grabbed 2nd and not 4th in his excitement.

I watched it happen and thought I was gonna have to break out the Jaws of Life to get him and his wife out, but to the credit of the car, they both stepped out with basically nothing wrong. He got out and asked about a local panel beater, I told him it was well past that lol

Statutory write off - never to be repaired. I saw it come on for auction as it was fairly new, but parts only. The left hand front wheel was up near the door hinges

Video of it happening
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWotNeYsOJI

That is my Maverick in the background

Wow he went in hard.
FERG_51 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2022, 04:46 PM   #38
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As a suburban bus driver for a number of years, I know that if we hit a stationary object while driving the bus, we were at fault. End of story.

If a car was parked in a bus zone, and got hit by the wagging tail of the bus, our fault.
The car could be fined for illegal parking if police attended, but we were still at fault for causing an accident, and the bus company liable for repairs.

Same situation here. If cars are legally, or illegally parked, it is the truck driver's job to avoid them. Doesn't matter if he can't get through without hitting them. Just the way it is.

Councils are doing the wrong thing with the roads. I know of housing developments where the roads are too narrow for garbage trucks, so they don't drive in to collect the bins.
If there is a fire, fire trucks will be a real challenge.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 25-08-2022, 05:41 PM   #39
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Still parked on a solid white line
Are you talking about the solid white line In the Centre? I couldn't see any solid line
The Monaro is parked behind the no stopping sign so looks perfectly legal, its a small street

The Truck clearly likes using intimidation tactics to make the blue car stop, if he just slowed down and gave the blue car a chance to move over for him it could have been avoided

then the muppet hits the tree!!
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 25-08-2022, 09:10 PM   #40
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I said that the Blue car was stopped, not parked. My point is that if you're going to stop & let somebody pass by, why wouldn't you stop closer to the kerb
You're assuming he had ample opportunity to move over.

I'm betting the blue car had already exited the roundabout when he saw the truck enter the street. Seeing the road was all but blocked, he had little option but stop, but with a car parked in front and one right behind, he couldnt move.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2022, 10:29 PM   #41
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thought there was a rule where if there was a painted centre line you had to park your car a minimum distance from that line. Shouldn't matter if parking is allowed or not.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2022, 05:29 AM   #42
mondeomatureguy

Hi Guy's
I drive trucks for ten years and was parked in a Loading Zone in York Street in the city at around 6am when a bus came down the road too close to my truck and took out the drivers side mirror.

He stopped told me what Bus Depo he was from his name, the bus number and that was it.

I used to drive a 14 ton Acco and go to Marrickville in Sydney to do deliverys. The streets around Marrickville are not real wide and many times i had to give way to cars coming the other way because the size of the truck.

I watched Garbage truck and there was no way he didnt know he had hit the Monaro and should have stopped.
mondeomatureguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-08-2022, 08:06 AM   #43
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
I thought there was a rule where if there was a painted centre line you had to park your car a minimum distance from that line. Shouldn't matter if parking is allowed or not.
In NSW its within 3mtrs of a double dividing centre line.

In Victoria this.....seems silly to me.

3 metres
Unless there is a sign saying that you can you are not allowed to park, stop or leave your vehicle within 3 metres of:

an Australia Post mail box
the departure side of traffic lights (signalised) pedestrian or bike crossing) not at an intersection
double continuous dividing lines (double lines)
a single continuous dividing line

a single continuous line to the left or right of a broken dividing line
a dividing strip.

Street looks to narrow to even allow parking. My brain would tell "this don't look like a good place to park my flash car."
Garbage truck did us a favour taking out another non Monaro.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-08-2022, 10:16 AM   #44
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I never knew the parking with a solid line rule, but is that actually a solid line as the is a break in it.

The street is a bit confused, there are not stopping signs either side of the roundabout and also makings on the road each side of driveways.

Id hate to live in that street & I certainly wouldn't park a nice car on it
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2022, 10:34 AM   #45
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

If you go to Google Earth and go to the location at the Corner of Joy Street and Roselyn Crescent and virtually drive the garbo's route the "bay" the Monaro is parked in does not have a painted line at the roundabout end so what does that mean; i it really a marked bay?

Last edited by aussiblue; 26-08-2022 at 10:39 AM.
aussiblue is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2022, 12:42 PM   #46
ozrunner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I looked this up just before posting and its a strange setup.

The middle parking bays have a start and end enclosure etc whereas those near the roundabouts seem to have a start marking but no end. Must be a Mexican thing. The Monaro is "parked or on the phone", LOL, in one of these.
ozrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2022, 01:37 PM   #47
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozrunner View Post
I looked this up just before posting and its a strange setup.

The middle parking bays have a start and end enclosure etc whereas those near the roundabouts seem to have a start marking but no end. Must be a Mexican thing. The Monaro is "parked or on the phone", LOL, in one of these.
Whilst it is a bit odd to not have the end of the parking bay closest to the roundabout marked, the 'No Standing' sign effectively acts as the end of that bay.

My suspicion is that the end furthest away from the roundabout is marked to ensure that the driveway is not blocked, but the council decided to save some small $$ because the 'No Standing' sign was there at the other end.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-08-2022, 01:58 PM   #48
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No way there is anywhere near 3 mtrs between the yellow car and the white line.doesn’t change who is guilty but the insurance co will probably use it as a bluff/stalling tactic
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2022, 02:05 PM   #49
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
No way there is anywhere near 3 mtrs between the yellow car and the white line.doesn’t change who is guilty but the insurance co will probably use it as a bluff/stalling tactic
I think you've missed the highlighted part of the rule tho:

Quote:
Single continuous dividing lines
If you are on a road with a single continuous line down the middle, you must:

stay to the left of the lines
drive as close to the left side of the road as you can.
You can cross these lines to enter or leave the road.

You can't:

overtake or do a U-turn
park opposite the dividing line unless there is at least three metres between your vehicle and the line or there is a sign saying that parking is allowed.
Now granted, there is no sign saying that you can park there, but the presence of a sign saying you can't stand beyond a certain point and the fact that there are parking bays marked implies that parking is allowed in that space and may just be enough to get you off. A good lawyer, or some of the regular posters here on AFF, would give it a good crack

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 26-08-2022, 03:27 PM   #50
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What a lot of palava....if the truck can't get through the roundabout staying in his lane it's his responsibility to give way to the traffic coming from the other direction if he makes the decision to cross the centre line then he is responsible for completing the maneuver safely end of story.....doesn't matter what's parked where

If it don't fit don't force it

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
PooDog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-08-2022, 03:28 PM   #51
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This accident doesn’t make sense. If as some say he driver of the side loader was in the left hand seat he would have known he would hit the car ditto if he was in the right hand side for that matter.
Maybe he wanted to get sacked.
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2022, 03:41 PM   #52
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Not an ideal scenario being able to park so close to a roundabout in such a narrow street but if its legal then old mate in the truck has the duty of care.

Driving heavy vehicles in suburbia successfully requires sound spatial awareness, something old mate is clearly lacking as evident in hitting the car at ground level and the tree branch above.

I reckon it was doable with a bit of care but old mate just plowed through.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2022, 04:05 PM   #53
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Trucks hit trees all the time. Council don’t cut trees back as they should.
Trucks hitting trees are a non issue.
Trucks hitting cars is an issue
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2022, 04:15 PM   #54
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Not an ideal scenario being able to park so close to a roundabout in such a narrow street but if its legal then old mate in the truck has the duty of care.

Driving heavy vehicles in suburbia successfully requires sound spatial awareness, something old mate is clearly lacking as evident in hitting the car at ground level and the tree branch above.

I reckon it was doable with a bit of care but old mate just plowed through.
I think you'll find he'll be considered at fault irrespective of whether the cars are deemed to be parked there legally or not. I recall a situation a few years ago where a car, travelling on the correct side of the road, impacted with a vehicle travelling illegally on the wrong side of the road. The driver in the vehicle travelling legally was deemed by the law to be at fault because there is a hierarchy to the road rules, and one of the highest is that you must avoid an incident where possible.

So, as has been said by others, whilst there are contributing factors, I suspect that those factors would not come into play because it would/should have been an avoidable incident if the truck driver took alternative action.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 27-08-2022, 06:48 PM   #55
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

There is a law in Victoria that says you must leave 3 meters between your parked car and the center line. Ol mate in the Monaro clearly hasn’t done so.
I’m not suggesting that it clears the truck driver of responsibility but ol mate has certainly contributed to the oopsy.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2022, 06:51 PM   #56
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Ghia View Post
There is a law in Victoria that says you must leave 3 meters between your parked car and the center line. Ol mate in the Monaro clearly hasn’t done so.
See posts 43 & 49.