Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-05-2011, 08:03 AM   #31
Dustin_80

Default Re: Finally! Cheaper insurance for special vehicles.

Is this the beginning of a trend of customers moving away from Shannon's?
Excuse me if I dont shed a tear.
Dustin_80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2011, 08:16 AM   #32
sudszy
Banned

For what its worth, I got quotes from Shannons about 15 years ago to insure my "classic". Had to take the car to them, then got this assessor that knew ba about the car telling me it was only worth x. His assessment of x would have been market value for a crapped out version of the car, which I could have got with any other insurance company, but this one was mint with many rare fact options etc and good examples were getting easily 2 to 3 times the market value.

Found about lsv/lumley, sent them some photos and they agreed to insure for what I wanted at about the same rate as regular companies wanted for market value.

Unfortunately this car got involved in a seemingly minor shunt(other member of family at the wheel) where the other party was at fault. I just passed the details on to Lumley, they dealt with the other party and I picked the repairer of my choice. The quote for the damage was way in excess of market value of a crapped out version of the car, but within my agreed value....so the car got fixed, otherwise it would have been a write off, exactly the reason I got agreed value insurance for it.

The whole process wasnt entirely smooth, the repairer of my choice was a problem, compounded by Lumley paying them before I had cleared the work as OK.
sudszy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2011, 12:29 PM   #33
whingey

Glad to see everyone is open minded about a cheaper insurance company. I posted this thread on a couple of GT sites and got back some responses I couldn't believe. It was as if I had turned my back on Shannons after all they done for me (haven't figured out what) and that I owed them some misguided respect!? I'm guessing the clubs devotion stems from the fact that Shannons throws them some sort of bone, probably a sponsorship deal. One guy said he didn't mind paying twice the premium he could get with LSV because Shannons had looked after him. I wrote back and said "How do you know LSV won't do the same...and for half the price"? SILENCE.
whingey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2011, 01:06 PM   #34
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As I said in one of my previous post. Shannons used to be a great insurance company, and the people who worked for Shannons had a passion for cars, including the basic customer service people and claims people. They knew what they were talking about. Since the Suncorp takeover, the Suncorp group are taking control of the indivual insurance company's. So instead of calling a shannons call center, you are actually calling a Suncorp center now.

The service you used to get from Shannons was very personal, but for the last couple years since the service has changed. So I can understand where the die hard enthusiast, do not like a bad word said against Shannons, but they may not know what has happened over the last 2 or so years.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2011, 01:44 PM   #35
XESP351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I also posted in the past about LSV, have been with them since 2002 (they were vigil back then) and they have always been pretty good to me. Everytime i rang Shannons to get a quote for any of my cars i always got bad customer service and bad attitude!
XESP351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2011, 09:55 PM   #36
jlef5

I'm with Lumley Insurance, (no relations) for my EH agreed value of $15000 I'm 23 and pay $149 a year full comp. Lumley also has a storage insurance for spares and "investments/projects" that are in the shed. Didn't even bother with Shannons after hearing that.
jlef5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2011, 08:47 AM   #37
sanchoXB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4VCLEVO
I just got a quote from Rihno, XAGT insured for $35k for $349 a year. Comprehensive insurance for less than 4000km a year. Its a very good price as I am currently under insured with RACV for $19000 and it cost over $500. I did contact LSV but they haven't got back to me yet, where as Rihno got back to me the very next day. Shannons wouldn't insure my car as I don't have it locked in a shed.
I will be switching to Rihno this week.
None of my buisness but $35k for a XA GT sounds a bit undervalued to me. My XB GT sedan is insured for a lot more than that. XA's are worth more than XB's.
sanchoXB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2011, 09:48 AM   #38
whingey

Mine's insured for 40k. It would have to be a pretty catastrophic impact not to be able to repair the car for 40k. Theft would be the biggest worry but these cars are usually equipped with anti theft everything and mine is locked up like Fort Knox at home and rarely out of my sight when I'm out in it. I could easily insure it for more but that would bump the premium up too much.
Old 27-05-2011, 10:55 AM   #39
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

I can understand some owners and clubs having reluctance with change especially what Shannons have done with support over many years and still do.
Unfortunately like any company with growth - dominate market share - product expansion contributes to higher running costs but I'm sure profitable hence Suncorp making the bid and buying.
Like any company takeover the buyer puts a broom through the old management and in time the good employees leave.
As for my case after haggling over Premiums/market values etc the last 3 years it just makes sense it was time to move on - I admire owners being loyal but sadly that word doesn't stand for much these days....especially at Corporate level as we all know.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2011, 11:16 AM   #40
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217
I can understand some owners and clubs having reluctance with change especially what Shannons have done with support over many years and still do.
Unfortunately like any company with growth - dominate market share - product expansion contributes to higher running costs but I'm sure profitable hence Suncorp making the bid and buying.
Like any company takeover the buyer puts a broom through the old management and in time the good employees leave.
As for my case after haggling over Premiums/market values etc the last 3 years it just makes sense it was time to move on - I admire owners being loyal but sadly that word doesn't stand for much these days....especially at Corporate level as we all know.
Suncorp took over Promina and only wanted the finance part of Promina. When Suncorp took over, they tried to sell off all the personal insurance brands, they have now gutted all the insurance company's and put them all under the one brand. Soon with Suncorp if you call to speak to someone you will be speaking to someone who deals with many brands, just not one, like it used to be.

One of the main reasons why people are leaving Shannons is that you do not speak to someone who is a car enthusiast now, just a person who works for a call center.
Old 17-08-2011, 05:44 PM   #41
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Greg

Ended up insuring my AU II XR8 with LSV for around $300 less than what was quoted by RACV, GIO or AAMI

Agreed value $12500 premium $780. This would have dropped another $40 odd if I was a member of a club and another $30 if I moved my landau over to them

Pretty happy with the outcome

Will insure my Landau with them when she is fully restored - no point whilst it is laid up being restored
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2011, 06:06 PM   #42
Blem
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm with Allianz.
Clean record 08 FGF6 traveling less than 10k per year & am paying $109.74/mth in Adelaide. Not an everydayer. Valued @ $45k ?
Blem is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2011, 09:08 PM   #43
Supercharged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Would probably have to be more specific - I live an hour from Sydney. Liverpool.

Currently pay $2900 for my F6. Probably not considered a special vehicle.
I have general insurance on the GS FPV Ute with Lumleys at $890.00 and the insurer I was with before with the FG turbo wouldn't touch the GS because it was supercharged, go figure.

And remember: Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Beer in one hand - meat pie in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"
Supercharged is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2011, 09:16 PM   #44
4VCLEVO
XA GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchoXB
None of my buisness but $35k for a XA GT sounds a bit undervalued to me. My XB GT sedan is insured for a lot more than that. XA's are worth more than XB's.
I ended up switching from rihno to LSV ($50 cheaper) and sent them photos, they valued it at $60,000, so yes $35k was undervalued.
Old 17-08-2011, 10:05 PM   #45
mash85

i remember trying LSV a few years ago for my xr6 turbo, i remember them saying they wouldnt touch it as it wasnt a "special" vehicle. i copped that, but i see someone above has insured their au2 xr8 with them. might give them another crack.

does anyone know if they'll insure modified cars? currently ive been stuck with Just Car Insurance as no one else seems to want to touch it.
mash85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2011, 10:15 PM   #46
rocket67

Have heard reports from Mustang owners who have put in claims to LSV.

Without exception they have praised the efforts of LSV claims department after having accidents.

All of our Mustangs are insured with LSV, Their Premiums are very low on classic cars.

Rocket.
rocket67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2011, 10:17 PM   #47
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

They now insure cars like the XR8 etc

I tried them early 2009 when I first bought my G6ET and they wouldnt touch it - they have changed what cars they will insure now....
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2011, 10:19 PM   #48
whingey

They processed my claim at light speed and have been fantastic.
Old 17-08-2011, 10:29 PM   #49
GRNKPR
DPC PERFORMANCE Race prep

they are a ll a necessary evil ,you have to have them.they all have their good and bad points insurance is a personal thing and what works for one dosnt work for another

i have 5 cars house contents and model cars with Shannons as a whole they are the best by far as the others dont do the whole package shannons does and to 10 % discount for holding a CAMS licence

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria

Ford Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car Club
GRNKPR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2011, 11:02 PM   #50
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When I got my BF F6 in 2005 I got quotes from Shannons, Ryno, LSV.
LSV was the best by far and when the F6 was written off (not my fault) in 2008 they paid the agreed value of $60k within 2 weeks of the wreck. At that time a friend had his Shannons insured FPV Tornado involved in a crash and it took endless arguments and stress to finally get the OK out of them to proceed with the repair.

I had my 1970 Mach 1 insured with LSV and will be insuring my 1970 GTO (on the water) with them.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2011, 11:29 PM   #51
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I went from Shannons to Budget direct & saved around $700. When I rang Shannons to see If they could do any better they streight out said no. So I ditched them.

They looked after my dad when he made a claim & I like to support companies that support the enthusiast with the events they support. But budget were around $500 & shannons were over $1200. I couldnt justify that mutch.
Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2011, 08:57 AM   #52
desGT

Been with Shannons a long time, and had very good service. UNTIL a couple of years ago when they started to drop the agreed value of my Porsche 928GT to the point I thought I would have to sell it (write off would leave me quite out of pocket).

Thanks to this thread!, I contacted Lumleys. The chap I was conversing with was very helpful, photos got me a proper value on the Porsche, and the FPVGT, so goodbye Shannons, hello LSV.
desGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2011, 09:41 AM   #53
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neale
I went from Shannons to Budget direct & saved around $700. When I rang Shannons to see If they could do any better they streight out said no. So I ditched them.

They looked after my dad when he made a claim & I like to support companies that support the enthusiast with the events they support. But budget were around $500 & shannons were over $1200. I couldnt justify that mutch.
There is a big reason why budget is cheaper than most companies. A lot of the time it is not a good reason either. Read the PDS of budget, compare it to Shannon’s and you will see the differences.
Old 18-08-2011, 11:39 AM   #54
EFFalcon
Last warning

I just (5mins ago) put my thunderbird up with LSV, couldn't be happier!
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2011, 05:27 PM   #55
genebaby
Abuser of Charvels

I am getting a quote for my XR8, they kept denying it a few times before due to not being special.

Daily: Tornado MY20 GTI

Retired: Venom BA XR8 - build thread
genebaby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2011, 08:23 PM   #56
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503
They now insure cars like the XR8 etc

I tried them early 2009 when I first bought my G6ET and they wouldnt touch it - they have changed what cars they will insure now....

Hey George, is your XR8 insured as a daily driver or limited use only?

Ryno are very good to deal with, but dont do XR8's.
Shannons on my XR8, I pay $770 p/a, full daily use, 13k agreed value. Id like a bit more agreed $$ than that personally as its a 2002 AU3 XR8, manual.
Lumleys dont do a pay by the month thing, and when I last called didnt wanna know about daily drivers, even if you had 2 or more other cars..

When I bought my XR8 back in december 2010, I did the ring arounds, was with Ryno for the GT-P before the XR8, and was really annoyed to find out they wouldnt do the XR8, even if I gave em the XY to insure as well.. Rang LSV to see if they'd take it on but they didnt wanna know about it, tried as above by adding the XY GT an they still didnt wanna know. Infact the guy from LSV was a rude git on the phone. Rang Shannons and they were fine to add it on with the XY. Shannons was very helpfull and to date have always been so. LSV were cheaper on the XY compared to Shannons the last time I asked, but with the no pay by the month option, and no interest in covering my daily as well, it wasnt worth the hassle to change just the one. That might be a diffrent story now..

Ryno, I had a claim with, (not my fault) accident. It was handelled well, but had to fill in old fashioned claim forms etc, and there was a minor issue with their outsoursed assessors trying to tell my repairer that my GT-P should be repaired to the same quality as an XT Falcon should be done. My repairer set them right tho and it was fixed to the right standard.

Shannons I am right in the middle of a claim with them now on my XR8. Another me not at fault situation. Their claims process was all done over the phone very painlessly, and 30 seconds after the call I had a SMS with the claim number and acknoledgement of me not at fault, zero excess etc.. Im off to the repairer tomorrow to continue this latest saga.. So we shall see how it goes...

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2011, 08:29 PM   #57
genebaby
Abuser of Charvels

To their credit Shannons have been great when I've had to deal with them but they are not the same as they used to be and don't see my car as special as I do.

Daily: Tornado MY20 GTI

Retired: Venom BA XR8 - build thread
genebaby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2011, 09:35 PM   #58
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny
.. Rang LSV to see if they'd take it on but they didnt wanna know about it, tried as above by adding the XY GT an they still didnt wanna know. Infact the guy from LSV was a rude git on the phone. .
I was on the receiving end of a poor attitude from the girl at LSV I spoke to when trying to get cover on my BA GT recently. After telling me outright they couldn't insure my car because it was a daily driver (without letting me finish what I had to say) she then changed her tune when i said it was being retired from daily driver duties and would be doing no more than 4,000kms a year. However when looking up the cost of the premium she then said the car was not a classic, it was too new and they don't insure vehicles like that. When I said a few people on the forums have had their late model GT's insured with them she then became nice agaon. However when I told her I hadn't bought my new daily driver yet and that I was getting quotes in preparation for when I do get it, she became arrogant again and virtually acused me of wasting her time -so ended up giving my business to AAMI for the 18th year running.
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2011, 09:39 PM   #59
xm289
formerly millenium_falcon

I got a quote from lumley for my xm coupe, covered for $30,000 and it cost me about $260 for the year. Shannons was $350 for $20,000, I've had 3 cars plus house insurance with shannons but now the coupes with lumley.
xm289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2011, 10:32 PM   #60
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool Re: Finally! Cheaper insurance for special vehicles.

I posted earlier
that I went with Rhyno
for the price and the pay by the month
when I rang Shannons the best they could do was
an agreed value of $15k but it had to be registered
and Rhynos offered me $20k un registered using a trade plate
or behind the fence under a carport no difference
it didnt have to be securely locked in a garage
just inside the property
when I went to Rhynos to sign the paperwork
the fellow there Scott told me he didnt
have to look at it as he had seen it at a car show