Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-01-2011, 08:50 PM   #31
321Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by QLD-Bluey
A valuable lesson here grasshopper............expensive doesnt always mean best!!
Maybe as far as these satellite dependent portable navigation units are concerned, but the top end VDO-Dayton systems (which now costs $3000+), that are OEM on many many brands including almost all European brands, and some Ford, is the best navigation system IMO. The system fitted to the AU/BA range was from memory a $4000+ option. The ONLY issue with the VDO-Dayton systems is the price to update the CD maps. But they're free if you know where to look.

All these portable units (TomTom, Navman, ect, ect) depend on satellite signal for accuracy. If the signal is a weak one (which it is at most times) the units don't work properly. They don't work in tunnels at all. Limited to no signal in bad weather and built up areas. VDO-Dayton systems don't depend on satellite at all. It's hard wired into vehicle. All map info is on the CD. Speed signal is taken from speedo wire off ECU.

After using many types of systems, the VDO-Dayton kills them all. Accurate 99.9% of the time and upto 1 metre. Try getting that with a portable unit.
321Go is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2011, 09:46 PM   #32
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

i once tried to put my home address into both the mio (3 years old) and the new 2 month old Navman (Navman own Mio)...

The Mio would recognise the street and the address correctly and all current speeds (havent updated it since we got it) but the new bloody Navman doesn't even recognise the Suburb.. Which sucks.

You would think that a 3 year old system would be worse than the newer one but i dont think it one bit..

/end true facts
Old 01-01-2011, 09:55 PM   #33
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by 870-cse
VDO-Dayton systems don't depend on satellite at all. It's hard wired into vehicle. All map info is on the CD. Speed signal is taken from speedo wire off ECU.
how does it know where you are?
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2011, 12:48 AM   #34
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
Accelerometers.

If you know the starting point you can calculate your position quite accurately.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2011, 12:15 PM   #35
321Go

Quote:
VDO-Dayton systems don't depend on satellite at all. It's hard wired into vehicle. All map info is on the CD. Speed signal is taken from speedo wire off ECU.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
Sorry, I should have said the VDO Dayton systems don't depend solely on a satellite signal to navigate. They use a combination of GPS reciever and internal accelerometer. When both inputs are combined, the software is very very accurate. You can use either of the input signals by themselves, but works best combined.

If anyone is interested, I have THIS exact VDO system with TV for sale. Was OEM on a T-Series, but can be fitted to any vehicle. Comes with 2010 CD. When new, was a $4995 option through Tickford. PM me if interested.

Last edited by 321Go; 02-01-2011 at 12:25 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:04 PM   #36
321Go

Just a heads up, ACA have a review on portable SatNav units tonight. 6:30pm CH9 for Melbourne.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:28 AM   #37
brismike
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Navigation Devices - Outdated Maps

Quote:
All these portable units (TomTom, Navman, ect, ect) depend on satellite signal for accuracy. If the signal is a weak one (which it is at most times) the units don't work properly. They don't work in tunnels at all. Limited to no signal in bad weather and built up areas. VDO-Dayton systems don't depend on satellite at all. It's hard wired into vehicle. All map info is on the CD. Speed signal is taken from speedo wire off ECU.

After using many types of systems, the VDO-Dayton kills them all. Accurate 99.9% of the time and upto 1 metre. Try getting that with a portable unit.
Not quite true .. The high end TomTom standalone models include a feature called Enhanced Positioning Technology (EPT) which works through motion sensors in the device. This is used to keep your position when you are travelling through tunnels where there is no GPS signal.

I know it works because I used it in Europe recently and especially in the Italian and Swiss alps where there are heaps of tunnels.

Also regarding your comment on the GPS signal being weak most times .. My TomTom usually picks up a minimum of at least five or six satelites and I have seen up to eleven at any one time.

Mike

Wife's - 2018 Peugeot 3008 Gtline, Pearl White - 6 Speed Auto - Fully Optioned.

My Toy - 2014 Smart Fortwo Passion Crystal White, Black Tridion Cell - 5 Speed Auto with Flappy Paddles - Tint - Twin Exhaust

The only good Commodore is the one now very very quickly disappearing in my rear view mirror.
brismike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post