Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-08-2009, 01:14 PM   #31
torbirdie

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
Now this one is just stupid! If a car is moved to another car parking spot, obviously spaces are available for everyone to use. How many fatalities will this prevent? Councils will love it!
I dont think the parking regs in inner city areas are anything to do with preventing fatalities?, but willing to be corrected on this issue.

Why will councils love it?
There will be fools that move their car one spot away when they know its against the regs? for a short time anyway.

Of course it is a good law, it stops people monopolising the parks, they are there to provide short term access for iternary workers, shoppers, visitors to businesses etc, not all day parking for office workers.

Yeh, Ive seen it, workers from one institution grabbing a whole lot of spots early in the morning, then they then just go and change spots with each other when the meter runs out, allowing that to happen is stupid!
torbirdie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2009, 01:17 PM   #32
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Whats with the new parking laws - why is it a problem if you move to the next free space? How are they going to specify where one area ends and another starts. Think our government is running out of funds and looking at new ways to raise revenue (again)

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2009, 03:51 PM   #33
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Victoria cracks down on mobile phone use

http://www.caradvice.com.au/39347/in...r-in-voctoria/

Quote:
Victoria cracks down on mobile phone use

Driving and using a mobile phone in Victoria is about to get a whole lot stricter with increased fines and demerit points to be introduced under a new proposal from the State Government.

The crack down will also include drivers using a phone that is not fitted to a cradle and will even extend to portable navigation devices. This move will become law from November 1.

Roads Minister Tim Pallas said the new laws were all about common sense and saving lives, based on one simple principle – hands on the wheel, eyes on the road.

“But the message doesn’t seem to get through to everybody,” said Mr Pallas. “Talking on a hand-held mobile phone while driving is reckless and increases the risk of a crash fourfold.”

Drivers breaking the law face a $234 fine and three demerit points.

P-platers will get an even stricter deal with the new rules saying they cannot use a mobile phone at all whilst driving, even if they’re in a hands-free set.
Old 28-08-2009, 04:06 PM   #34
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If no one sees you do any of this stuff, you're right!

And as if driving on the phone using a blue tooth headset, and pressing the answer button on your ear is less dangerous than pressing loadspeaker on your phone! Its the same.

Plus I'm not putting one of those things near my head, (brain tumor anyone?) Thats why I use my loadspeaker. Never use my phone near my head either.

Using your phone in any way, even automatic handsfree, is all the same as it is the not concentrating on the road that is the problem, not the pressing of the button on your phone and putting it in your door handle.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2009, 04:12 PM   #35
Wally
XP Coupe

It really a competition between the QLD and Vic Govts to see which one can boil a frog the fastest without it exploding.

Wouldn't mind the Vic Govt contract to install voice activated bluetooth and cradles in their fleet.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2009, 04:17 PM   #36
burnz
VFII SS UTE

i love the one where you can't use your sat nav.

maybe they dont like being beaten in court, where you can prove you wernt speeding.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2009, 05:42 PM   #37
joolz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Behind every new law is a fine ... Its not hard to see what some of these laws are designed to do... Revenue yes!! I mean if you are caught with a phone not in a cradle even if its your passangers sitting in the console you have to proove it wasnt yours after a fine is issued. But also why wasnt changing CD's/radio stations, smoking, ipods and melways on passenger seat included?

Hmm i hope Mr Pallas doesnt read this!!
joolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2009, 05:46 PM   #38
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So a p-plater can't use hands free? Thats the step before NO passengers in the car what so ever..
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2009, 06:00 PM   #39
GavL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
So a p-plater can't use hands free? Thats the step before NO passengers in the car what so ever..
The article on car advice isn't overly correct. See what the actual vicroads document reads
http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rd...PhonesVDUs.pdf
Quote:
Learner and P1 drivers, are not permitted to use a mobile phone at
all while driving.
P1 drivers and learners cannot use a phone (even on hands free). Been like that since the graduated licensing system was introduced, so no changes there.....

BAII XR6 in SHOCKWAVE
5SP Manual | Sports Leather Seats | Premium Sound | Dual Zone Climate Control | Sunroof | Reverse Sensors | 18" XR8 Wheels | XR6T Exhaust | Lowered | XR6T Intake | GT Steering Wheel

AUIII XR8 in NAROOMA BLUE
Info to come soon!
GavL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2009, 06:11 PM   #40
tweeked
N/A all the way

Whats the difference with pressing the green answer button on your phone or the button on the earpiece?????

dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb

Exactly how long must you go away from the parking strip before you can come back. So you forgot the milk honey? Sorry, im not allowed back down the shops again due to ive had my park for the day!!!!

dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2009, 06:15 PM   #41
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by torbirdie
I dont think the parking regs in inner city areas are anything to do with preventing fatalities?, but willing to be corrected on this issue.

Why will councils love it?
There will be fools that move their car one spot away when they know its against the regs? for a short time anyway.

Of course it is a good law, it stops people monopolising the parks, they are there to provide short term access for iternary workers, shoppers, visitors to businesses etc, not all day parking for office workers.

Yeh, Ive seen it, workers from one institution grabbing a whole lot of spots early in the morning, then they then just go and change spots with each other when the meter runs out, allowing that to happen is stupid!
Tad sarcastic about the fatality bit .....

My point was ........ IF you can move your car to another spot after your time has run out, obviously there was other spots available.

I have no problems for time limits and restrictions on parking areas that are in short supply ..... but in MANY cases, they are just a slush fund for (obsolete) councils.

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2009, 06:18 PM   #42
Ralliart
2011 A New Fresh Start

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG

What's next, no listening to music or talking whilst driving?
would't be surprised with this government
Old 28-08-2009, 06:23 PM   #43
Ralliart
2011 A New Fresh Start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man

But when will changing CDs or even just the radio station on your car radio become illegal at this rate.... That's a distraction. They can go a bit over the top sometimes.
+1 Complely agree with u, there is about 20 items i can think of that are distractions from car driving i just can't belive the government go shaight to the mobiles Phones and blame them shaight away.

Anyway i honestly don't care about these Pathic rules i'm still using my gps no matter what , i'll just would't like at it.
Old 28-08-2009, 06:26 PM   #44
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmmm I guess most accidents are due to dog lap abuse since they're targeting it.

Why don't they look at their god damn road statistics and focus on the main causes rather than preventing around 20 people in the state from putting a dog on their lap.

Yeah good one, again.
Old 28-08-2009, 06:26 PM   #45
Ralliart
2011 A New Fresh Start

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw
A driver must not have another person or animal on their lap.
\
dam Ive done this once of twice with a dog and my cat
Old 28-08-2009, 09:59 PM   #46
torbirdie

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
My point was ........ IF you can move your car to another spot after your time has run out, obviously there was other spots available.
You dont think I can read? and did you read what I had to say about people who basically parking in restricted hours parking zones all day?

....perhaps have a think about what is the point of the time limited parking...Ill leave it at that.

Last edited by torbirdie; 28-08-2009 at 10:04 PM.
Old 28-08-2009, 10:19 PM   #47
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

The parking one is a joke, basically, if i have already parked in a street for one part of the day, I can't come back half an hour later in the same day, or I risk getting a fine. As for the phone, now that is pushing it a bit, if it is on handsfree and sitting in the cupholder, how is that causing anymore of a distraction than changing radio stations?

Also, how is it that they class having a mobile phone sitting on your lap and running a red light as equal offences? (both attract 3 demerit points) Why is their STILL no mention of enforcing the Keep left unless overtaking law? Where is the change in attitude regarding improved driver education?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
However all this time spent not doing "dangerous" things can be spent thinking about who you are going to replace these idiots with at the next election.......
Problem is, they are all idiots, whether you vote ALP, Libs, Greens etc, they are all Pollies at the end of the day.
Old 29-08-2009, 08:02 AM   #48
torbirdie

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_190
The parking one is a joke, basically, if i have already parked in a street for one part of the day, I can't come back half an hour later in the same day, or I risk getting a fine. .
It does seem a tricky one to implement, clearly I see the aim of it is to keep the spirit of the time limits on the parking, changing spots with your mate every two hours for the whole day was not the intention of having limits attached to parking times in most areas, its not a grab for money, they get the same amount out of you and your mate feeding the meters all day anyway.
Havent seen any detail for the requirement, but possibly you only get a ticket if you stay within the one area for more than the specified time limit within one day, so you could visit and do drops offs any number of times within that time. The probabilites of any parking inspector keeping track of all those comings and goings, nil. IMHO, they just want to concentrate on the obvious flouters of the spirit of the regulations who have been beating the system for years by doing the swap spots thing and staying there all day. Just because there is one spot available at the moment you need to move your car is irrelevant, you are effectively stopping other people who may arrive any time later for using the spot for the short duration that was intended.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_190

Also, how is it that they class having a mobile phone sitting on your lap and running a red light as equal offences? (both attract 3 demerit points) Why is their STILL no mention of enforcing the Keep left unless overtaking law? Where is the change in attitude regarding improved driver education?

There seems to be a great unawareness on this site and in the media about the dangers of hands free mobile phone conversations.

We get the "what is the difference between that and talking to a passenger, and we get the stupendous line, "lets ban passengers".

Research says it is just as dangerous as holding a phone in your hand, having one hand off the wheel isnt really the major problem, it is the mind not concentrating on what is happening around the vehicle.
How is it different to talking to a passenger? Tests have shown that passengers are able to moderate their demands on the driver in conversation according to their needs at that instant, ie they shut up when the driver is doing a tricky right hand turn, or the driver doesnt feel compelled to keep talking when faced with a situation that needs more concentration because the passenger understands the need for the driver to give some situations more attention, whereas the person on the ohter end of the phone has no empathy for what the driver is facing at that instant as well as the driver not wanting to stop the flow of the conversation and/or explain awkward periods of silence.

Yes, I am staggered that authorities havent as yet banned use of mobile phones by the driver in moving vehicles, period.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:41 PM   #49
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

This article seems to give a good list of the laws.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/40998/ne...from-november/

Quote:
New road laws for Victoria from November

September 11, 2009 by Matt Brogan

Vicroads has announced a raft of new road laws aimed at making Victorian roads safer, all to be effective from November 9 this year.

The changes apply to mobile phone & satellite navigation use, child restraints, motorcycle pillion passengers, U-turns and overtaking, seatbelts, cyclists, wheeled recreation devices, driving with trams and parking.

Mobile Phones & Visual Display Units:

Using a mobile phone to make or receive a phone call while driving is prohibited except if the phone is secured in a commercially designed holder fixed to the vehicle, or can be operated by the driver without touching any part of the phone.

All other functions, including video calls, text and email, are prohibited.

Holding the phone, whether you are engaged in a phone call or not, is also prohibited. Holding includes resting the mobile on the driver’s lap. Learner and P1 drivers, are not permitted to use a mobile phone at all while driving.

A satellite navigation device must not be used if it is not an integrated part of the vehicle or is not secured in a commercially designed holder that is fixed to the vehicle.

Television receivers or visual display units must not be used when the car is mobile if any part of the screen is visible to the driver or is likely to distract another driver.

For more information about this rule, click here.

Child Restraints:

All children under seven years of age must wear a child restraint or booster seat when travelling in a car for improved safety. The type of restraint will depend on the age of the child as follows:

* New born to six months: to be restrained in a properly fastened and adjusted approved rearward facing child restraint
* Six months to four years: to be restrained in either a properly fastened and adjusted approved rearward or properly fastened and adjusted approved forward facing child restraint with inbuilt harness
* Four to less than seven years: to be restrained in either a forward facing child restraint with an inbuilt harness or booster seat restrained by a correctly adjusted and fastened seatbelt or child safety harness

There are also new laws about where children can sit in vehicles.

If a car has two or more rows of seats, then children under four years must not travel in the front seat. If all seats, other than the front seats, are being used by children under seven years, children aged between four and six years (inclusive) may travel in the front seat, provided they use an approved child restraint or booster seat.

U-Turns & Overtaking:

New rules will also apply to making a U-turn or overtaking another vehicle. These are as follows:

* Centre dividing line: a driver will not be able to overtake, or do a U-turn across a single continuous centre line, or a single continuous line to the left of a broken line. A driver can however cross over a centre dividing line (except a double continuous centre dividing line) when entering or leaving the road
* Lane lines: a driver must not change lanes over a single continuous lane line
* Painted islands: a driver must not drive over a painted island that is surrounded by a single continuous line. A driver can however drive over the island if they are entering or leaving the road, or entering a turning lane that begins immediately after the painted island. A driver must not drive over a painted island at a freeway on-ramp. It is also illegal to drive on a painted island that is surrounded by a double line.

For more information and diagrams concerning this rule, click here.

Seatbelt Use:

Drivers are required to make sure seatbelts and child restraints are used by all passengers. When all seatbelts or child restraints are used, no extra unrestrained passengers are permitted in the vehicle (implemented December 2008).

This rule does not apply to the driver of a bus. The rule also does not apply to a taxi driver with passengers 16 years old or older. However, an adult passenger commits an offence themselves if they travel in a taxi without a seatbelt.

There are also exemptions for some types of vehicles that are not required to be fitted with seatbelts.

For clarification of this rule, or for more information, click here.

Motorcyclists:

There are three new rules for motorcyclists. They are as follows:

* No passengers under eight years old: a young child under eight years of age cannot be carried as a passenger on a motorcycle, unless in a sidecar
* Travelling in a sidecar: when a sidecar is used, it can only carry the number of passengers for which it is designed
* No animals between rider and handlebars: animals can’t be carried between the rider and the handlebars of a motorcycle

Cyclists:

There are several changes cyclists will need to heed from November 9. These rules concern the use of a safety helmet, proper bike seating for passengers as well as changes to how a cyclist may turn from, and stop in, bicycle boxes at traffic signals.

* Seat and helmet: a bicycle passenger must wear an approved bicycle helmet and sit on a proper seat when riding on a bicycle
* Area reserved for cyclists (bicycle box): a driver must stop at the first line of the bicycle box while a cyclist must stop at the second line, within the bicycle box
* Turning at intersections: when turning at intersections with a bicycle box a bicycle rider must be in the left lane of the reserved area to make a left turn or in the right lane of the reserved area to make a right turn

Wheeled Recreational Vehicles:

Scooters, skateboards and roller blades are called Wheeled Recreational Devices in the road rules.

A scooter has two or more wheels and a footboard supported by the wheels. It is steered by handlebars, designed to be used by one person and propelled by any one or more of the following: gravity, the user pushing one foot against the ground, an electric motor or motors (with the maximum power output of 200 watts).

Wheeled Recreational Devices can travel on footpaths and on roads where the speed limit is 50km/h per hour or less.

Drivers:

Whilst all of the new road rules affect drivers, these rules are additional new road safety rules particularly for drivers. They include the following:

* At an intersection, a driver must stop at the first stop line and must not enter the area for cyclists when the traffic light is red
* If a driver is blocking a driveway, the driver is only allowed two minutes to pick up or drop off passengers and must not leave the vehicle unattended
* A driver must not have another person or animal on their lap when driving
* If two vehicles, for example a bicycle and a car or two motorcycles, are travelling in the same single marked lane and one vehicle diverges to the left or right within the marked lane, the diverging vehicle must give way

Driving with Trams:

When sharing the road with trams, a driver must stop before passing the rear of a stopped tram at a tram stop. Once the tram doors are closed and pedestrians have crossed between the tram and kerb, a driver may then proceed at no more than 10 km/h past the tram.

Unless there is a sign which permits parking, a driver must not stop or park within 20 metres of a tram stop.

Tram lanes are identified by a solid yellow line and overhead signage that shows an image of a tram and the word ‘LANE’. It is important to note that some tram lanes operate full-time, while others are part-time.

Part-time tram lanes have the same sign as a full-time tram lane, but the sign also shows the days and times that it functions as a tram lane.

A driver may drive in a tram lane for up to 50 metres to enter or leave the road or to avoid an obstruction.

Parking:

New rules will also govern how we park. These are as follows:

* Slip lane: stopping to park in a slip lane or on a painted island will be prohibited. A slip lane is an area of road for vehicles turning left. It is separated from other parts of the road by a painted island or traffic island
* Parallel parking: unless parking signs show otherwise, and provided there is at least three metres of clear road between the car and the centre dividing line for other cars to pass (see diagram), a driver can park opposite: double continuous dividing lines; a single continuous dividing line; a single continuous line to the left or right of a broken dividing line; a dividing strip. However, a driver is permitted to park opposite a broken line without leaving three metres clear between the parked car and the broken dividing line
* Heavy or long vehicles: cannot be parked on a road in a built-up area for longer than one hour, unless parking signs show otherwise or the driver is picking up or setting down goods
* Moving parked vehicles: when moving a parked vehicle to another parking spot, the driver must move the vehicle off the length of road, or out of the area, to which the parking sign applies
Old 11-09-2009, 07:51 PM   #50
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Television receivers or visual display units must not be used when the car is mobile if any part of the screen is visible to the driver or is likely to distract another driver.
I thought these things were to stop boredom on long drives?
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2009, 07:58 PM   #51
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCPWSF
I thought these things were to stop boredom on long drives?

Mounted in the rear headrests and playing whle the car is in motion is legal....the screen playing in the front where the driver can see them is illegal.

If someone is bored driving long distances then take a plane.