Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-09-2009, 08:27 PM   #31
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

I've loved the look of the new Mazda 3 since introduction, and this one is no different. I'd love to fang one around.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2009, 08:27 PM   #32
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePistonHead
I'd beg to differ :

While I'd consider one for my next car, it's another torque steering pig.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2009, 09:16 PM   #33
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For the record, the old Mazda 6 MPS is definitely All Wheel Drive. No, it does not suffer from torque steer.

While a G6E (NA) is my daily driver, I have driven both the G6ET and the MPS. Actually, I spent a whole day with the MPS on the track. If I could wave away all the constraints, my personal preference would be the G6ET over the MPS. But, I have tremendous respect for the Mazda 6 MPS. The MPS is a truly exceptional vehicle.

Why do I prefer the G6ET? The MPS is only available in a manual; and I have gotten a slovenly preference for automatic gearboxes in my old age. The steering in the MPS is busy; thanks to its low profile tyres the driver spends too much time correcting tramlining. Whereas the G6ET is a more relaxed highway cruiser.

And that is about the only issues that I can fault a MPS. Unlike my G6E fourteen trips back to the dealer, the MPS example that I have driven as never been back to the shop for anything other than its regular service. Unlike the typical Ford dealer; the Mazda dealer will give you confidence that you and your car are being looked after.

In the dry, in a straight line, I would be game enough to take on an MPS in a G6ET. On a windy road, the MPS would win over a G6ET. In the wet, forget about it. If you are a G6ET owner, don’t embarrass yourself with trying to take on a Mazda 6 MPS if it is raining. By the time a G6ET’s rear wheels have stopped spinning in the wet, you will not even be able to see the tail lights of a Mazda 6 MPS. (If only Ford had the balls to drop an AWD drive train from the Territory into a G6ET.)

Yes, the Mazda 6 MPS is that good. If I was after a performance vehicle, the Mazda 6 MPS would be near the top of my shopping list. Anyone who purchases one has bought a vehicle that will give years of driving pleasure.

While I still prefer a G6ET; only the most myopic, short sighted, narrow minded, Ford fans will fail to see what a great vehicle the Mazda 6 MPS is.

Edit: Cannot seem to link image of the MPS 6 during track work.

Last edited by whynot; 02-09-2009 at 09:25 PM.
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2009, 10:48 PM   #34
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the new 3 MPS cuts a mean side profile, No Doubt.

However on anything but a black one, that gaping smiley face of a grill doesnt look mean at all, it looks like one of those clowns heads at a carnival, like I should be throwing tennis balls at it.

As for front wheel drive and performance cars not going together..... I'd suggest some people on this forum need to actually drive a good hi-po front driver to truly appreciate the other side of the fence.

I have had the opportunity to drive quite a few with notable mentions being an Alfa Romeo 147 GTA, it was a weapon and sounded awesome, even if it was sprung too stiffly. HSV VXR, I have never been in a quicker FWD car in my life, I'd be suprised if ever will. And lastly a Renault Megane 225 Cup, the most polished all round FWD rocket I have ever driven, quick enough to scare most performnce sedans in a straight line, wet or dry or up the twisties, It was just a mean ride and I didnt want to hand the keys back.

FWD and Hi-Po do go together, just in a different way to what RWD Hi-Po owners would expect, they are no less entertaining or rewarding!!
calais is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2009, 11:41 PM   #35
Windsor220
Now Fordless

For a steeter with the occasional spirited drive FWD is fine. The good ones have enough grip and handling on tarmac. The only real issue is torque steer. Its not like manufactures are making 350kw FWD drive cars. If you were going all out you would go for RWD/AWD obviously.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2009, 12:15 AM   #36
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
While I'd consider one for my next car, it's another torque steering pig.
You have driven one???
Old 03-09-2009, 12:50 AM   #37
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
As I've owned both I think I some authority to make a comparison. Also the 6 MPS that I was talking about is AWD and absolutely runs rings around the T in handling. The T is faster in a straight line (and feels faster) but unless you hop into a 6MPS you have no idea how these things handle.

oops only just realised you were referring to the 6 and not the 3. What was the price of the 6MPS? was getting beyond XR6T into F6 territory (mid 50's? I could be wrong??) All bias aside I am sure that the AWD version would have handled magnificently much better than this FWD ever could and yes would out handle a XR6 with its AWD and different weight balance, But an FG Turbo would eat equally as much in a straight line Motor Mag 5.1 vs 6.6 is like comparing a hot hatch to a Supercar; 2 totally different classes of performance.
ED Classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2009, 01:28 AM   #38
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Agreed. Do the XR5's come with cruise control these days?
According to the Ford web site they still don't.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:40 AM   #39
Kaan
Mercury XR6

I don't know why are you people comparing 3 MPs with XR6T? Apples and oranges story again. One of them is FWD, other one RWD. MPS is 4 Cylinder Turbo. XR6T is V6 Turbo. I think performance is nothing when everything else is poor quality. We call them ricers to Japanese cars. Mazda and Honda cars could not be as quick as Fords but they have much longer life then Fords and they don't have a lot of issues like Fords does. I own XR6 and Hyundai Elantra. Elantra is on 75000 kms and XR6 is on 85000 kms. Hyundai is like a rock. Since I bought it never had any dramas. The only time that car sees the workshop is service time. My XR6 is nowhere near Elantra. a lot of interior noises (airbag noise, seat noise, seat belt noise,......) blah blah blah. Don't get me wrong. I love my XR. But please accept there is others manufacturers around that making much better cars. Maybe not as fast as Fords but they are good cars. cheers
Kaan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2009, 01:43 AM   #40
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

I like it, looks the goods. I drove the last model around a race track and was very impressed. The last model came 10th overall in Targa and 1st in its class. I think is a superior vehicle to the XR5 Focus, Golf GTI.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:58 AM   #41
Maggot
Half an aussie garage!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaan
XR6T is V6 Turbo.
.... right..
Quote:
Hyundai is like a rock.
Yep.. I had one as a loaner and that is how i'd describe the suspension as well!
Maggot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2009, 08:33 AM   #42
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr
You have driven one???
No, but I've seen the torque steer on it being demonstrated.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:35 AM   #43
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
I don't know why are you people comparing 3 MPs with XR6T? Apples and oranges story again. One of them is FWD, other one RWD. MPS is 4 Cylinder Turbo. XR6T is V6 Turbo.

Guess you've never looked under your bonnet.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:16 AM   #44
Kaan
Mercury XR6

Quote:
Guess you've never looked under your bonnet.
Why, isn't XR6T is 6 cylinder or I am a little bit : ?
Old 03-09-2009, 10:21 AM   #45
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Why, isn't XR6T is 6 cylinder or I am a little bit : ?
Inline 6 not a V6
cs123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2009, 10:24 AM   #46
Kaan
Mercury XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
Inline 6 not a V6
at least I got the 6 cylinder part right
Old 03-09-2009, 11:04 AM   #47
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I don't know why are you people comparing 3 MPs with XR6T? Apples and oranges story again. One of them is FWD, other one RWD. MPS is 4 Cylinder Turbo. XR6T is V6 Turbo. I think performance is nothing when everything else is poor quality. We call them ricers to Japanese cars. Mazda and Honda cars could not be as quick as Fords but they have much longer life then Fords and they don't have a lot of issues like Fords does. I own XR6 and Hyundai Elantra. Elantra is on 75000 kms and XR6 is on 85000 kms. Hyundai is like a rock. Since I bought it never had any dramas. The only time that car sees the workshop is service time. My XR6 is nowhere near Elantra. a lot of interior noises (airbag noise, seat noise, seat belt noise,......) blah blah blah. Don't get me wrong. I love my XR. But please accept there is others manufacturers around that making much better cars. Maybe not as fast as Fords but they are good cars. cheers

Because they are both performance cars and the 3 is well into XR6T territory on pricing and will no doubt come up against each other on many track days (atleast where im from)...Well thats 3 good reasons how many do you need?

PS, You must have a lemon because I am as fussy as any1 with clunks and noises and my XR6T is as silent as a mouse in those areas. Infact Ive driven the new (well probly 12 months ago when it was new) Honda Legend and wouldnt say that it has any less road noise than my XR beleive it or not..As for longer life How do you know that? Ive seen a million more Turbo jap cars blow smoke than any Ford V8 or 6T but what exactly do you mean (KM's the body???) I dont see many Honda or Mazdas that have clocked over the million but Ive seen a few Fords. Not saying they arent good quility but I think you should give more info before you say they "have a much longer life"
Old 03-09-2009, 11:09 AM   #48
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot
.... right..

Yep.. I had one as a loaner and that is how i'd describe the suspension as well!
A girl I went out with had one (from new) and where the paint once was on the bonnet and roof looked like a bit of a rock too. When i asked her if it had ever been repaired she said no, I think they forgot about the Aussie sun when buying their paint
Old 03-09-2009, 11:27 AM   #49
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Chee whiz all this testoserone from just posting up a new model from another manufacturer.
I don't agree with you ED Classic that XR6T come up against MPS, MPS target is Golf R32/GTI WRX Lancer Ralliart not Evo,XR5 and similar.
Price being in 6T territory doesn't come into it as buyers looking at performance FWD's/AWD's most times don't care for the 6T.

As for this new model it certainly is starting to get some steriods and about time imo, great little car for those wanting to part with big$$ for little car.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2009, 11:49 AM   #50
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedriver
Chee whiz all this testoserone from just posting up a new model from another manufacturer.
I don't agree with you ED Classic that XR6T come up against MPS, MPS target is Golf R32/GTI WRX Lancer Ralliart not Evo,XR5 and similar.
Price being in 6T territory doesn't come into it as buyers looking at performance FWD's/AWD's most times don't care for the 6T.

As for this new model it certainly is starting to get some steriods and about time imo, great little car for those wanting to part with big$$ for little car.

On track days I do come up from everything from old Jags to R32's and M3's, regardless of size etc or whether they went head to head on the showroom floor or not.. Its not a small car catergory vs a large car catergory etc and hasnt been at any of the 3 tracks in vic ive been to for club days
Old 03-09-2009, 11:54 AM   #51
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They no longer make Mazda 6 MPS so not sure why this is even part of the argument...

Also there is definatly cross shopping between small and large performance cars with price range playing a large part. Having said that it is definatly more a Golf GTI, XR5T and WRX competitor than XR6T competitor.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2009, 02:41 PM   #52
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
They no longer make Mazda 6 MPS so not sure why this is even part of the argument...

Also there is definatly cross shopping between small and large performance cars with price range playing a large part. Having said that it is definatly more a Golf GTI, XR5T and WRX competitor than XR6T competitor.
Exactly. It been over at least a year since you could buy one, and there will not be an MPS version of the new 6.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2009, 06:30 PM   #53
Poidevin

I saw one of these today getting around Perth and it just looked awful, I would not buy one
Poidevin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post