Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 22-05-2016, 02:37 AM   #31
Blue Shadow
R.I.P. Maggie

Default Re: Dairy Farmer Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
Haha funny that, there are no home brand cows, and the taste difference is all in the imagination.

You are saying a product that is more processed costs less?? Makes no sense, it's the exact same milk with a different label

Not imagining anything it is different
Blue Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-05-2016, 04:51 AM   #32
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Haha funny that, there are no home brand cows, and the taste difference is all in the imagination.

You are saying a product that is more processed costs less?? Makes no sense, it's the exact same milk with a different label

Taste completely different.
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2016, 05:26 AM   #33
prydey
Rob

Quote:

the nutritional info from brand to brand does vary. some have slightly higher fat content, others have higher salt etc. there are minor differences so i'm guessing it is in fact slightly different to each other and not 'exactly the same' as you put it.

i'd love to be able to pay a bit more and support certain things, but at the end of the day, i have to make my pay packet support my family. if that means buying $1 milk, then thats what i'll do. i work in an industry that is heading the same way as automotive except without the subsidies and the media attention (like a million industries out there). pay has been stagnant for over 10years but inflation hasn't, so as much as its nice to have 'ideals', the reality is very different for many families.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2016, 09:00 AM   #34
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Been buying long-life milk for the last 10 years.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-05-2016, 09:17 AM   #35
Blue Shadow
R.I.P. Maggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
the nutritional info from brand to brand does vary. some have slightly higher fat content, others have higher salt etc. there are minor differences so i'm guessing it is in fact slightly different to each other and not 'exactly the same' as you put it.

i'd love to be able to pay a bit more and support certain things, but at the end of the day, i have to make my pay packet support my family. if that means buying $1 milk, then thats what i'll do. i work in an industry that is heading the same way as automotive except without the subsidies and the media attention (like a million industries out there). pay has been stagnant for over 10years but inflation hasn't, so as much as its nice to have 'ideals', the reality is very different for many families.
Im not saying you shouldn't buy it, I just prefer the taste of a particular brand.
Old 22-05-2016, 09:28 AM   #36
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its not cool to be a tight ****. Pay for good quality food and enjoy proper nutrition and keep fellow aussies in a job. Just rememer it may be your job on the block next...
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2016, 09:41 AM   #37
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr smith View Post
Its not cool to be a tight ****. Pay for good quality food and enjoy proper nutrition and keep fellow aussies in a job. Just rememer it may be your job on the block next...
I've had similar discussions with people...screaming about saving aussie jobs, but would buy the aussie made milk then skip the check-out-chick (ANOTHER JOB DYING) and use the self checkout.
Old 22-05-2016, 09:51 AM   #38
Blue Shadow
R.I.P. Maggie

Dosn't matter what you buy, you are still keeping aussie jobs going. Buy the cheaper milk there are the workers at the supermmarkets, truckies and farmers employed to do that. Buy a branded bottle of milk and same thing.
The problem is the price some buyers pay the farmers.
Old 22-05-2016, 02:16 PM   #39
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post
I've had similar discussions with people...screaming about saving aussie jobs, but would buy the aussie made milk then skip the check-out-chick (ANOTHER JOB DYING) and use the self checkout.
Woolworths and Coles are removing or reducing self serve checkouts in some locations as the uptake on them has been too small.

Thing is, boycotting home brand milk does nothing, and I would be very careful telling our supermarkets I want to pay more for something. We don't exactly have a lot of competition in our grocery sector.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2016, 02:56 PM   #40
ZedTee
Just kickin' up dust

Ghia5L Well said mate. I haven't heard anyone else explain it better yet.
I am a Dairy Farmer, fortunately for me I'm currently paid a wage as a worker while managing the farm. Simply put, we are Fonterra suppliers, they dropped the years price from $5.60 per kg milk solids to $5 even, that equates to being paid about $1.91 per kg for May and June. That makes our milk worth about 14 cents per litre while it costs around about 40 cents to produce. It doesn't give us much incentive to keep going...

2 Time Australian National Circlework Champion 2014 & 2017
First Falcon to win the National Circlework Title! Click here
First Muppet to win the National Circlework Title Twice! Click here

3rd 2015 18th 2016 2nd 2018
1st Bendigo Bute Ute show Circlework 2015, 2016 and 2017
ZedTee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 22-05-2016, 03:14 PM   #41
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
Woolworths and Coles are removing or reducing self serve checkouts in some locations as the uptake on them has been too small.

Thing is, boycotting home brand milk does nothing, and I would be very careful telling our supermarkets I want to pay more for something. We don't exactly have a lot of competition in our grocery sector.
Spot-on about the competition, hence why I'm loving ALDI. People can hate ALDI as much as they want, and not even shop there, but they can't deny the fact that since their introduction the prices on most products have dropped noticeably....and expect more of that with the new chain coming out.

No more of the big 2 rubbing their hands together.
Old 22-05-2016, 03:43 PM   #42
STEALTHY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghia5L View Post
Comparison to your job:
Last year you were offered say a $3000/week job for 12 months, the job is guaranteed to be ongoing but the $/week is up for review in 12 months' time. You subsequently upgraded your car, bought a new house and undertook renovations, ate out more, and upgraded your health insurance plan because you can budget that based on your expected income for the year. That, and next year looks to be rosy as well.

In the 10th month your employer tells you "oh, our bad, it was meant to be $2500/week since the beginning of the contract. Since the cuts are retrospective that means the first 10 months of being overpaid need to be squeezed in to the final 2 months, resulting in you actually having to pay US $1312.50 per week for the final 2 months and still perform at your job."
If i sign a contract for a job on $x, i will recieve $x for my services. In your scenario about the solid prices, how the hell did they have an out in the contract that allowed it (and why would anyone in their right mind sign such a deal).

Semi related, i have to laugh at the people who used to say "I only buy Golden North cause its from the country, so its creamier". No princess, its made on the same production line as Pura and all the other milks (Coles and Woolies included, all that changes is the carton/label). Not sure about this watered down **** as i havn't work there for a few years, but back then people had the same argument as i'm hearing now that they can taste a difference when it all came out the same vat!
STEALTHY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2016, 03:54 PM   #43
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Shadow View Post
Not imagining anything it is different
Ok this has me intrigues, I am going shopping on Wednesday or Thursday, we been buying Coles brand milk for the last four years.

I will buy our normal Coles brand as well as one or two name brands and will let the kids do a blind taste test.

Will report back when it's done.

Can't see there being any difference in taste, but then agin I don't drink milk, milk is for baby cows and I am certainly not one of those..

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2016, 03:57 PM   #44
STEALTHY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ok this has me intrigues, I am going shopping on Wednesday or Thursday, we been buying Coles brand milk for the last four years.

I will buy our normal Coles brand as well as one or two name brands and will let the kids do a blind taste test.

Will report back when it's done.

Can't see there being any difference in taste, but then agin I don't drink milk, milk is for baby cows and I am certainly not one of those..
When i was in SA, 5 years ago, the following were all identicle milk from the same Vat.
Full Cream : Pura, IGA, Drake, Foodland, Golden North, Coles, Woolies
Skim: Pura Skimmer, and all the above 'light' versions.

The only different ones were Pura Light Start, etc.

Used to always hear the same ****, that people can taste the difference.
Old 22-05-2016, 03:59 PM   #45
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
A lot of that would be due to different testing companies and the nutritional label only shows and approximate/average value of the test batch, and that it is unlikely every batch of milk produced day to day season to season would be identical as cows would be on different quality feed at different times.

We been using Coles branded milk for four years exclusively and have had no complaints.

We also buy Coles brand rice and pasta which tastes exactly the same as branded rice and pasta which we have also bought when on half price special.

Bit off topic I love buying the Coles half price specials but I get annoyed as I know they are still making money on selling us the stuff at half price, so imagine the huge profit margins on branded products, all you are paying for is a glossy label and brand name, the product inside is no different.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 22-05-2016, 04:01 PM   #46
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY View Post
When i was in SA, 5 years ago, the following were all identicle milk from the same Vat.
Full Cream : Pura, IGA, Drake, Foodland, Golden North, Coles, Woolies
Exactly my point, so how can people here claim that they taste different, they come from the same cows and come from the same vat and get bottled in the same facility.

So anyone suggesting they taste different has a very active imagination.

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 22-05-2016, 04:04 PM   #47
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post
I refuse to use self serve checkouts, even if I've only got one or two things I wait in line for the check out people.

Same thing with people buying car batteries from me, they complain about prices (even though I'm better priced than SCA/Bursons for the same battery) but I stock a massive range of Australian made Century batteries (I carry the second largest range of them in Victoria).

'Oh thats expensive'.

Yes it is, because its made in Brisbane, not Thailand or China.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2016, 04:07 PM   #48
Blue Shadow
R.I.P. Maggie

Lot of experts, what tastes good might taste like crap to you.

Do a taste test on 1000 people you'll get different answers.

Drink what you want I say
Old 22-05-2016, 04:09 PM   #49
Blue Shadow
R.I.P. Maggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
I refuse to use self serve checkouts, even if I've only got one or two things I wait in line for the check out people.

Same thing with people buying car batteries from me, they complain about prices (even though I'm better priced than SCA/Bursons for the same battery) but I stock a massive range of Australian made Century batteries (I carry the second largest range of them in Victoria).

'Oh thats expensive'.

Yes it is, because its made in Brisbane, not Thailand or China.

Thats it, most customers think they know better than anyone else but really know SFA
Old 22-05-2016, 05:11 PM   #50
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
People are sharing images of empty milk shelves to show their support for local dairy farmers

People are showing their support for local dairy farmers by posting images of empty milk shelves at Coles and Woolworths.

The "milk crisis" has been spurred by dairy giants Murray Goulburn and Fonterra who slashed the price of milk from $5.60 a kilogram to between $4.75 and $5 leaving local milk farmers to be paid less than than production costs.

Struggling farmers also haven't been helped by the sale of home brand milk at $1-per-litre at major supermarkets including Coles and Woolworths.

In response, supporters have created a group on Facebook called "Dairy Farmers Need Your Help please" which has already garnered close to 50,000 members.

In the group, many people have posted photos of empty milk shelves at their local supermarket leaving only the discounted milk products.

Members have also posted complaints suggesting that Coles and Woolworths have not restocked the shelves of branded milk in an attempt to get customers to buy the remaining "unbranded milk".

"They (dairy farmers) deserve to make a decent living and a fair return on their investment. Right now many of them feel as though they're feudal serfs," said independent senator Nick Xenophon who called for a temporary levy on milk on Friday.

"If we don't act now the dairy industry with its 6000 farmers will shrink to a level from which it may never recover.
http://www.msn.com/en-au/money/compa...id=mailsignout

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2016, 05:16 PM   #51
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Lot of experts, what tastes good might taste like crap to you.

Do a taste test on 1000 people you'll get different answers.

Drink what you want I say
Well it is the exact same product so can not possibly taste any different, there is a 100,000 litre vat of milk that gets bottled into two litre bottles, then it goes through a labelling machine, some bottles get labeled with Dairy Farmers Glossy label and sold for $5 while some bottles get labeled with a plain Coles or Woolies label and get sold at $2.

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 22-05-2016, 05:27 PM   #52
Blue Shadow
R.I.P. Maggie

Quote:
Well it is the exact same product so can not possibly taste any different, there is a 100,000 litre vat of milk that gets bottled into two litre bottles, then it goes through a labelling machine, some bottles get labeled with Dairy Farmers Glossy label and sold for $5 while some bottles get labeled with a plain Coles or Woolies label and get sold at $2.

You can argue all you want, but to me it does taste different, my milk has cream on the top and i like it more.
You can drink whatever you want, but what I drink tastes nicer
Old 22-05-2016, 07:45 PM   #53
STEALTHY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You can argue all you want, but to me it does taste different, my milk has cream on the top and i like it more.
You can drink whatever you want, but what I drink tastes nicer
The milk you're talking about could be different if its a different product.

My post was merely to show that of the products i listed, the same thing was said. The following was a direct quote, at the time i worked in the factory, and watched them change the labels on the bottles (or the cartons) after a select qty was reached. "i prefer the Golden North cause its from the country, so its creamier".
Old 22-05-2016, 08:04 PM   #54
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

My post was merely to show that of the products i listed, the same thing was said. The following was a direct quote, at the time i worked in the factory, and watched them change the labels on the bottles (or the cartons) after a select qty was reached. "i prefer the Golden North cause its from the country, so its creamier".
Yep it's called a placebo effect, where people imagine something does something because they are told it would, the more expensive milk tastes better because it's creamier and costs twice as much, even though its the exact same milk from the same cows from the same batch, just has a different label stuck on it.

I remember an experiment where people swore blind that red coloured water was sweeter than green coloured water, even though it tasted exactly the same.

This must be the same thing, people getting extra money taken out of their pocket convince themselves that they are getting creamier milk

Quote:
..but what I drink tastes nicer
Of course it does....because somehow the label changes the taste...

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 22-05-2016, 08:52 PM   #55
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
If i sign a contract for a job on $x, i will recieve $x for my services. In your scenario about the solid prices, how the hell did they have an out in the contract that allowed it (and why would anyone in their right mind sign such a deal).
There must have been on of these little guys in the contract --> *

And the bottom of the contract page would've said something like this:

* The price offered may be subject to the whims of the powers that be.

Actually there is a direct comparison to the situation the dairy farmers are suffering, although the results aren't as immediately catastrophic:

Your home loan contract that you have with the bank.

Remember last year when the RBA interest rate was kept on hold for the 1000th month in a row, and all of a sudden a few of the banks decided to up their interest rates due to a whole range of asterisks? *Operating costs *Revenue losses *Market conditions *Random excuse

My thoughts on banks tends to be four asterisks. ****s.

Although in my above example the dairy farmers thought they were in a fixed-rate agreement rather than the variable-rate agreement example I've described above.
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2016, 08:58 PM   #56
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezza View Post
You make it sound like all the suppliers are to blame. My parents are dairy farmers, and have been Murray Goulburn suppliers for many years. They have a lot of shares in the company, which have now basically HALVED in value. Not only that, they're planning to retire in about a year, and will be selling the farm. These price cuts will have a big impact on the value of the farm as nobody will want to buy a dairy farm if the situation remains the same in the 12 months or so when they put it on the market. Like the vast majority of MG suppliers, they had nothing to do with this decision. The directors and board members made the call. Sure they might also own farms themselves, but they would certainly be high paid and would not be the ones who suffer the consequences. My dad is one of the hardest working men I've ever known, and it's going to be a tragedy if he doesn't get the rewards for all that hard work over all these years.
I understand that in some cases farmers were sometimes "paid" in MG shares rather than actual monthly cheque dollars when it came to milk supply ("trust us the shares are worth equal to if not more than the cash equivalent"), and thus became shareholders in this way, rather than investor shareholders who are actually injecting capital in to the co-op.
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2016, 09:24 PM   #57
STEALTHY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghia5L View Post
There must have been on of these little guys in the contract --> *

And the bottom of the contract page would've said something like this:

* The price offered may be subject to the whims of the powers that be.

Actually there is a direct comparison to the situation the dairy farmers are suffering, although the results aren't as immediately catastrophic:

Your home loan contract that you have with the bank.

Remember last year when the RBA interest rate was kept on hold for the 1000th month in a row, and all of a sudden a few of the banks decided to up their interest rates due to a whole range of asterisks? *Operating costs *Revenue losses *Market conditions *Random excuse

My thoughts on banks tends to be four asterisks. ****s.

Although in my above example the dairy farmers thought they were in a fixed-rate agreement rather than the variable-rate agreement example I've described above.
Well if you're not going to read the fine print, too bad for you (them)
Old 22-05-2016, 09:54 PM   #58
DoubleTrouble

Quote:

Quite true for a few brands but how many other brands out there for sale, some milk does taste different (fact)
DoubleTrouble is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2016, 10:22 PM   #59
DoubleTrouble

Quote:
Yep it's called a placebo effect, where people imagine something does something because they are told it would, the more expensive milk tastes better because it's creamier and costs twice as much, even though its the exact same milk from the same cows from the same batch, just has a different label stuck on it.

I remember an experiment where people swore blind that red coloured water was sweeter than green coloured water, even though it tasted exactly the same.

This must be the same thing, people getting extra money taken out of their pocket convince themselves that they are getting creamier milk

Of course it does....because somehow the label changes the taste...
What would you know! you have admitted you been using one brand for the last 4 years and for your kids to test milk, well that is one big fail as kids have the biggest imaginations ever.
DoubleTrouble is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2016, 10:34 PM   #60
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
With a statement like that I hope you've actually seen this in practice.