Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-02-2009, 03:17 AM   #31
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.4 GT
Do NOT get a WM Caprice... Heres why: http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=89681
:

Then I suppose using your logic nobody should under any circumstance buy a BA or BF Falcon.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=689
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=40927

The VE/WM are not perfect, however they are far from being as bad as some make them out to be. We have a large fleet of them at work which have been relatively troublefree and I know a few people who own them which have had no major complaints at all.
Sure you will read stories on the internet, but it is the internet after all, where a lot of things get exaggerated and blown out of proportion.
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2009, 05:11 AM   #32
prydey
Rob

not sure if you have to buy new or if you are able to buy 2nd hand. have you thought about looking outside the Ford/Holden range.

This has nearly 90000km and is over 2yrs old but it has status.

or
something closer to 7 years old but plenty of cred still

funnily enough Jag resale seemed about the same as merc. around $50 - $70K only gets you a 6-7yr old one. BMW seemed to fair a little worse in the resale.

otherwise, whilst i agree to a point about what ford have to offer in the luxo v8 range, the Holden LWB just look so wrong to me. first glance they look good but then the more you look the worse they get. the interior's are not a patch on the FG neither is the gearbox.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2009, 01:52 PM   #33
5.4 GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz
Then I suppose using your logic nobody should under any circumstance buy a BA or BF Falcon.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=689
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=40927
This is for the entire BA/BF range.

http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=89681

This is for one very specific model in the range, the Holden WM Caprice. They have their own separate VE/WM fault threads as well on LS1.

Don't think I haven't had the unpleasant experience of driving the WM on a daily basis as many who have posted in there (and I'm not even a member of LS1, just browse it from time to time). Imagine the many more like me that just observe or don't even post on the forum that have had difficulties with that particular model. I have a friend working in a car dealership that deals with Holden, Renault, BMW, Honda and Hyundai to name a few and he says the new VE/WM range in general has been the most troublesome Holden model they've ever dealt with (mainly electrics).

Our WM Cappa in happier (re: trouble free) days when I took it up to Bathurst.

AllCoupedUp - Take it from me you don't want one. G6ET would be my preference now any day (shame it didn't come out earlier when the VE/WM did and yes I'm a V8 man as well but I can recognise an exceptional car when I see it).

Surely when you drove the WM Cappa you noticed the slab structured front seats with the hard leather and nonsupport bolsters (rear seats are a totally different matter, as I think they are awesome). The steering wheel has an uncomfortable ridge right at the 3oclock, 9oclock position (try driving the car to Melb or Qld from Syd and not having sore palms by the end of it). The cruise control goes nuts every time there is a slight incline in the hwy and doesn't stop accelerating till your way over the speed limit (the Ford system in my FPV GT just works the way it should maintaining the speed).

The A-Pillars are massive and very annoying after a while (no you never get used to them). I've had cars to my right on various round abouts and they were totally blocked by the A-Pillar. Luckily I did my routine check around the A-Pillar each time (very annoying especially when there are multiple round abouts in the one area) and saw that they were there.

These are not quality control problems but design problems in the car itself. The Caprice is an awesome passengers car, whilst the G6ET is an awesome driver and passengers car.

Anyway best of luck in your decision.
5.4 GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2009, 02:04 PM   #34
AllCoupedUp
Garage Dreaming...

Location: In the garage - waiting for the car to build itself!!

prydey - now you've really opened a can of worms mate! "Status" really is subjective!! Some people look at those cars and think you're an absolute w#$%er, others are jealous, others aspire... How do I know? I owned an E39 540 MSport from 2002-2004 and it was a gem (still had my Fords too though!!). I got called all of the above. Anyway, I need to have a car that presents itself as a young professional and is not ostentagious (hence no FPV). So I agree that another Euro would do that... But to get a V8 in a new car would cost the earth!! Nice thoughts though mate. I did some numbers on second hand euro's a while back and it def. does not add up especially if the car is out of warranty. I actually looked at a 3 yr old Audi RS4 - damn nice and 4 yr old Merc C55. Both nice V8's but the numbers didn't stack. Hence the reason for a new aussie car.

I slept really well last night for the first time in ages! I dunno why, maybe it's coz I shared my problem...!! Haha!! I'm on the ford forums pyscho couch!!

Cheers guys - keep the thoughts coming - the tennis match is far from over. :

P.S. this is what I'm driving at the moment...

AllCoupedUp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2009, 02:09 PM   #35
AllCoupedUp
Garage Dreaming...

hey 5.4 - can I ask what made you buy your Caprice? i.e. what attracted you it?
Old 22-02-2009, 02:12 PM   #36
5.4 GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllCoupedUp
hey 5.4 - can I ask what made you buy your Caprice? i.e. what attracted you it?
The looks and feature list... I still think it looks better than the FG G6ET. We actually didn't test drive one as it hadn't been released yet when we ordered (big mistake). Got sucked in to the Billion dollar baby hype.
Old 22-02-2009, 02:17 PM   #37
AllCoupedUp
Garage Dreaming...

It presents as a great package doesn't it! But then again, so does the G6ET!!

I guess you've had the benefit of driving one for a while to form your opinion which is why I posted the issue - to hear those points of view. Appreciate your help mate.
Old 22-02-2009, 07:54 PM   #38
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sorry guys but I dislike the entire v series commos, just look the bastard lovechild of a BA falc and a mitsu magna to me, and the flares just...... well...... are we trying to appeal to the SLR torana crowd or something? not to mention the numerous electrical gremlins with the car. I prefer a car that doesn't break down. Don't like the v series commos, never have and never will. Also I have NEVER owned a Holden I feel very dirty thinking about it so I am off to have a shower now.

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2009, 08:48 PM   #39
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I've had 3 VE's all work cars 2 x SSV's an my current ride is a Calais V. I have a good friend who owns a grange and my boss drove a Caprice for a while (He got over it and drive a Honda now). So I am reasonably familiar with these cars.

Sure they are not without their gremlins but most cars have something and the people seem more than happy to fix stuff. But for my Cash they are missing something. They are particularly the CalaisV loaded with stuff and . The All have had lots of go. The 6.0 motor is a gem. Fuel wise I get 14/100 city and 10/100 country. Driven like I have a fuel card. so I'm OK with the fuel consumption considering the performance.

In 15 months I still haven't got used to the size of the thing (I,ve had 7 Fairlanes so I'm not a small car guy) The A pillars, high sides, small mirrors combine to make it feel tank like. Worse in the SS with the big wing. Thank god the Calais has park assist front & rear.

I don't like the interior plastics, hard clicky & cheap. The SSV's have ordinary brakes, despite their size and the Calias are worse. The 6 speed auto is rubbish it ruins he car.

The Caprice, IMHO is a great looking car and lowered look stunning. For my 2c by a GTE or a GT in a subtle business like colour, Black or Grey, bang on some wheels and enjoy the (slightly) better resale that an FPV will provide you.

Oh and forget the Grange. $90K

Last edited by myts; 22-02-2009 at 08:53 PM.
Elks is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2009, 09:23 PM   #40
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You have answered your own question. Get the carapace. The g6et is a better car, but you will miss the v8, which is why we love out cars - the emotion, not the cold hard facts.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2009, 09:44 PM   #41
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Seems you were happy with the Sube except for the lack of space and engine torque. The G6ET fixes both those problems and you didn't seem bothered too much that the Sube never had a V8. If you got the G6ET, you would soon get past the fact it's not a V8 and maybe wonder if you ever get another V8 new again....
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2009, 10:02 PM   #42
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllCoupedUp
Anyway, I need to have a car that presents itself as a young professional and is not ostentagious (hence no FPV).
You have just answered your question - the G6E T, I believe gives you the answer. All the performance you want & up to 7.3 to the 100..

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2009, 10:11 PM   #43
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

VS

I don't think anything needs to be said.
Old 22-02-2009, 10:17 PM   #44
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Saw an ego GT-E today.... simply stunning.
Makes the caprice look second rate in every way.

Old 22-02-2009, 10:20 PM   #45
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The op allready said the gt-e is to pricey
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2009, 10:28 PM   #46
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy84
The op allready said the gt-e is to pricey
? GT-E's are cheaper than up spec caprices...

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/results.aspx?Ns=pCar_Price_Decimal|1||pCar_RankSor t_Int32|1||pCar_Make_String|0||pCar_Model_String|0 &N=1216%201247%201282%201252%201246%204294965857%2 04294965608&tabID=304727&Nne=15

Old 22-02-2009, 10:28 PM   #47
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST
I don't think anything needs to be said.

Dam, i was impartial until i saw that !
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2009, 10:32 PM   #48
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

If the GT E looks great, the interior is the trump card. Love how the Caprice rear looks simular to the AU Fairlanes

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2009, 10:38 PM   #49
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
If the GT E looks great, the interior is the trump card.
Right you are

Old 22-02-2009, 10:39 PM   #50
5.4 GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If only Ford could make ads half as good as Holden:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SJeJ0L1Tfk
Old 22-02-2009, 10:47 PM   #51
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.4 GT
If only Ford could make ads half as good as Holden:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SJeJ0L1Tfk
What brainless moron would buy a caprice just because of the ad.... :

GT-E has the caprice spanked, id say buy a senator before a caprice.

Old 22-02-2009, 10:48 PM   #52
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

My best mate Rod has 2 Caprice there plagued with electrical problems.
Here is a thread he started some time ago, he would rather have his BA Pursuit ute back than this car.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=109556

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2009, 10:55 PM   #53
HEMI POWER
N/A BOSS 390+

Go out and buy a SRT8 best of both worlds. :
ALL AUSSIE MUSCLE
HEMI POWER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2009, 11:11 PM   #54
gtfpv
GT

there is enough info here . to the O P . DON'T BUY THE CAPRICE. if i were you after reading this thread . BUY THE GTE, OR G6ET. GAME OVER. ( no apoligies for the caps they're meant to be there !)
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2009, 11:14 PM   #55
HEMI POWER
N/A BOSS 390+

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
there is enough info here . to the O P . DON'T BUY THE CAPRICE. if i were you after reading this thread . BUY THE GTE, OR G6ET. GAME OVER. ( no apoligies for the caps they're meant to be there !)
ALL AUSSIE MUSCLE
HEMI POWER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2009, 11:22 PM   #56
5.4 GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST
Right you are

What a poor effort at the interior. Looks identical to our lux pack XR... except the fake woodgrain is changed for fake carbon spears. Bit more effort required for an FPV.
Old 22-02-2009, 11:24 PM   #57
Gaz
Got Ghia?

if ya wanna save some money and gettin something pimping could go with the mk2 ghia v8.... but then i'm bias :

Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2009, 11:33 PM   #58
5.4 GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
What brainless moron would buy a caprice just because of the ad.... :

GT-E has the caprice spanked, id say buy a senator before a caprice.
Yeh why bother having ads at all they do nothing to portray the car and don't influence the buying decision at all.

That must be Fords current marketing position... Hence their rubbish sales.

The ad is an example of how it should be done listing key features such as xenon headlamps, bose sound system, etc. They wrap the whole thing up with "Holden Caprice, go first class".

GT-E isn't worth the coin. G6ET has it spanked.
Old 22-02-2009, 11:53 PM   #59
MrSparkle
An Old Boss™©
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI POWER
Go out and buy a SRT8 best of both worlds. :
I heartily concur!
Old 23-02-2009, 12:25 AM   #60
Penelope Pitstop
Can't get enough of this.

Location: Standing on the driveway sobbing because I don't have a PINK ute anymore :0(

I have had a good look at the HSV range as we are currently looking for a family car and I am a V8 girl at heart.

Personally I find the interior of the entire Holden range to be a little yawn worthy. Nothing exciting, nothing that really grabs you. IYKWIM.

My preference would be the Grange or maybe a Senator but you are talking big money - esp for an Australian built car.

I wouldn't buy a G6ET - for one reason - it is not a V8. Don't get me wrong they look OK but IMO they have no soul and lack road presence. Although they do go like the clackers.

If you are after refined elegance with a V8 motor I would be looking away from Holden and Ford and would take a good look at the SRT8. BIG V8, comfy comfy seats and lots of leg room both up front and in the back, drive remarkably well for such a big car and have that missing torque you are after.

I would adore an SRT8 however it is my other halfs turn to pick our next car and he is leaning towards an F6. : :evil3: :