Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-10-2008, 09:26 PM   #31
loosey

Quote:
Originally Posted by futura888
Spotted the first real one today in white flying down grand junction rd,looked awesome and sounded wicked.
Yep thats the one.

Last edited by loosey; 01-10-2008 at 09:41 PM.
loosey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2008, 09:32 PM   #32
fmc351
let it burn

In the late 80's, the first GT-R was a clearly different car to the Skyline, the Skyline was a boxy reared wedge.

Theyve returned to that, its a GT-R.

On that, Id have one, pffft, Id even have the late 80's version, theyre still damn quick by todays standards.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2008, 10:17 PM   #33
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex
What are the service intervals for a current model GTR, and how much do they cost?

Something as highly tuned as these is going to cost a bomb to run(???)

In the context of the answere to the above question - the 155k sticker price probably seems resonable ...
Word is the engine needs a rebuild to respray the plasma on the bores every 12 months, and if the in built GPS has detected you have been on a racetrack then your warranty is void if it is not immediately serviced by a Nissan technicion. ie. an oil and filter change. That is what happens in Japan, I don't know wether that will apply to Australia or not.

Some people find all this hard to believe but it is for real. They are very highly tuned and the running costs are pretty phenominal.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2008, 10:37 PM   #34
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Perhaps it would look different in the flesh but the GT-R doesn't really grab me with its styling. That said, it goes like a scalded cat and when you're behind the wheel of one, you can't see what it looks like. If I was looking at a car in that price range I would be hard pressed to overlook the GT-R on performance and handling alone.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2008, 11:31 PM   #35
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePistonHead
http://www.caradvice.com.au/17105/ni...icial-details/

Let me think for a moment... $152,000 for a GTR, or $155,000 for a glorified Commodore?
You have obviously test driven both.

Step aside for someone who can actually pay cash for one of each.

Both are desirable cars. As beautiful as it is, the older blokes would look a bit silly driving around in a hairdresser's car like the GT-R, wouldn't they? The masculine alternative is the W427. There's always the Euro models, but they're hardly a statement of carefree confidence.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2008, 11:39 PM   #36
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Word is the engine needs a rebuild to respray the plasma on the bores every 12 months, and if the in built GPS has detected you have been on a racetrack then your warranty is void if it is not immediately serviced by a Nissan technicion. ie. an oil and filter change. That is what happens in Japan, I don't know wether that will apply to Australia or not.

Some people find all this hard to believe but it is for real. They are very highly tuned and the running costs are pretty phenominal.

I thought it was plasma recoating on the bores at 100,000kms...

And I beleive the speedlimiting is gone for Australia, and the GPS doesnt know any of the racetracks in Aus.

And PMSL at GTR being called "Hairdressers car" above....so, does that make the 997 991 Turbo, 430, Gallardo all hairdressers cars? Hahahah

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2008, 11:43 PM   #37
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew`SEVNT5
I thought it was plasma recoating on the bores at 100,000kms...

And I beleive the speedlimiting is gone for Australia, and the GPS doesnt know any of the racetracks in Aus.
The racetrack update will be retro fitted to GTRs coming here.
This price of 148k is not including the LCT. Final price will be around 170+.

There are prices of the first service going around indicating it could be in excess of 1500AUD. This page which I can't understand has a break down of the costs The tranny fluid alone costs $600 for 5 litres.
Service intervals are every 6 months or 10000km.

The GTR is NOT a Skyline. It wasn't built from a donor car, it is a unique platform to the Nissan family.

Last edited by Wretched; 01-10-2008 at 11:50 PM.
Wretched is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2008, 12:17 AM   #38
Ruger
Bseries Moderator

GTR is Definately a bargain.
M3 at 150+, m5 at 230k iirc, C63 AMG at 140ish and the lexus is-f at 140-145k and being a euro car fan i hate to say the gtr would shows all of those cars the door on any race track. I think ive read the only porsche quicker around the ring is the carrera gt.
If you find a quicker new car with a warranty for that price buy it!

Running costs will be expensive but im guessing comparable to say a porsche gt3 or 911t or even an f430.

If the GTR was 150 after LCT it would be rediculously cheap and even 170 is still cheap. They could have priced it around the 200k mark.

Your all gonna go up in arms saying how can i call 150k rediculously cheap but in reality cars of this nature are going to cost that much. The GTR is definately a super car that your getting for the money of a performance saloon and its definately not a skyline. If the GTR is a skyline then a falcon is a mondeo just changed a little bit. See the difference now? Definately not comparable to what FPV do to regular falcons.

As for the 155k commodore - The day an aussie saloon is as quick as the new GTR will be a massive step for Australia and their automotive engineers. That day though, is still quite far away.

If the GTR is a car for hairdressers then were all a bunch children running around pink pedal cars. It is one car that should not be sneezed at

Only those that attempt the absurd achieve the impossible.

Serviced and maintained by Mascot Auto Repairs
Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2008, 12:25 AM   #39
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
You have obviously test driven both.

Step aside for someone who can actually pay cash for one of each.

Both are desirable cars. As beautiful as it is, the older blokes would look a bit silly driving around in a hairdresser's car like the GT-R, wouldn't they? The masculine alternative is the W427. There's always the Euro models, but they're hardly a statement of carefree confidence.
Must be one hell of a hairdresser to drive a GT-R!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2008, 12:28 AM   #40
Ruger
Bseries Moderator

Masculine alternative the W427? Im thinking more allong the line of someone that has the cash to spend on a supercar, has no intention on using it and is only buying it for the image of owning a 'supercar' (w427 being called a supercar in the first place is borderline lunacy. If thats the case then casey donovan can be the next underwear model in ralf.)
If your going to buy a car of that stature, plan to use it and you look past the GTR because of 'hairdresser' status then your ego needs to be assessed imho. If your just after a bit of speed, fun and a v8 sound then just bloody buy a worked X series falcon with a locker because when compared to true supercars thats all the w427 is (not to take away from the x series guys i love them to bits).
The W427 IS the tarted up taxi and the GTR IS what the w427 could only ever dream to be.

Only those that attempt the absurd achieve the impossible.

Serviced and maintained by Mascot Auto Repairs
Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2008, 01:09 AM   #41
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not bad looking for a Renault lol.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2008, 02:53 AM   #42
Jayden
Graphic Artist

This car owns anything made here, performance wise.

Kinda sad really that our cars are left behind. But we know Nissan funded it with what is basically dirty money from x-trail and tiida sales all over the planet.

With half their budget and a forged approval from Ford USA we could plant a 600ci engine in a ute and put it in its place.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:54 AM   #43
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger
The W427 IS the tarted up taxi and the GTR IS what the w427 could only ever dream to be.

Well said. The engineering behind the development of the GTR is light years ahead of the w427 which is basically a Commie with a big motor that's got around the same performance as my F6 with injectors Walbro and Blue Power tune.

Sledgehammer and I have seen the GTR in the flesh at Bowdens and to all those that say they're unimpressed after seeing pictures (like I was) ... just wait till you see it in the flesh! It's one very exciting looking beast.

Now .... if I could just win lotto .....
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2008, 08:37 AM   #44
Cabbage
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

From all reports the GTR is an awesome car but you have to give Holden some credit. At least they had the balls to have a crack at a "supercar" and if nothing else it got people talking. The W427 may not compare favourably to the GTR but its not alone. Some decent car makers vehicles look poor value when compared to the GTR.
Cabbage is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2008, 08:57 AM   #45
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And GM always has the Z06 Corvette and the new Cadillac CTS-V

So least they make some quick cars.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2008, 09:44 AM   #46
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I saw a brand spankin new GTR on the back of a truck with what looked like a Nismo Micra hehe. It was the really nice blood red colour going south on pennant hills road in pennant hills. 1st aussie delivered?

needless to say a few people almost guttered their wheels
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2008, 10:02 AM   #47
desGT

Quote:
Both are desirable cars. As beautiful as it is, the older blokes would look a bit silly driving around in a hairdresser's car like the GT-R, wouldn't they?
WHAT? Damn, being an oldie, I had better sell the Porsche and just stick with my FG GT.
desGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2008, 10:07 AM   #48
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sFTW
Must be one hell of a hairdresser to drive a GT-R!
LOL. Seriously though the GT-R is by all accounts a stunner, but it just looks silly wrapped around a middle aged man. The gold chain brigade might be tempted, but I suspect the cars will mostly be the daily drives for wealthy wives, hookers or women real estate (marketing) reps.

If you need to see the demographic, get down to the Gold Coast and notice who drives the Porches, 350z, etc. The 353kW , 0-100 in 3.5 seconds means nothing to those types, it's all about persona.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:08 AM   #49
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So is $152K on road drive away? or is that without LCT and stamp duty?

Old 02-10-2008, 10:11 AM   #50
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Well they weren't lying when they said that they wouldn't retail at more than $160k +onroads....

The only good thing now is that an R34 GTR will become much more affordable once these hit the showrooms... So in 10 years time this 35 GTR will become more affordable... Just gotta be patient :
Old 02-10-2008, 10:12 AM   #51
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by desGT
WHAT? Damn, being an oldie, I had better sell the Porsche and just stick with my FG GT.
That's the spirit.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:19 AM   #52
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
So is $152K on road drive away? or is that without LCT and stamp duty?
not including lct
Old 02-10-2008, 10:31 AM   #53
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
not including lct
Ok, so this car will be about $175 -185K "drive away" once you factor in LCT, onroads and depending on state stamp duty?

Old 02-10-2008, 10:42 AM   #54
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

Quote:
...but I suspect the cars will mostly be the daily drives for wealthy wives, hookers or women real estate (marketing) reps.
And all people who drive old Fords and FPV's are poor middle aged bogans who still wear their hats backwards and pants around there knees. See what I did there? ;)

Some fellows seek current true performance vehicles and I'm guessing from what I've read and seen that the GT-R would deliver that. Not all blokes want to drive a 20+ year old muscle car that even in it's day would be considered a stretch to be a performance vehicle on the world stage, and by todays standards is out featured and out performed by your average Toyota.

If the gold chain brigade only care about image, then why would they dump there Porsche, BMW, Mercedes and drive around in a Nissan?

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2008, 10:58 AM   #55
Grunter
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Ok, so this car will be about $175 -185K "drive away" once you factor in LCT, onroads and depending on state stamp duty?
As a comparison the BMW M3 manual is about $185k to $190k drive away and if the DSG box is optioned, another $8k on top of that. So the GT-R sits in a nice price point in comparison.

Current
Old 02-10-2008, 11:04 AM   #56
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunter
As a comparison the BMW M3 manual is about $185k to $190k drive away and if the DSG box is optioned, another $8k on top of that. So the GT-R sits in a nice price point in comparison.
Yep, i guess i wanted to clarify its REAL retail "drive away" cost..
This car sounds like a highly strung high performance coupe that's going to cost a bomb to keep on the road and maintain properly. A great toy with outstanding performance for those with lots of folding and who enjoy spirited track days, but hardly as versatile and practical for every day use like the M or AMG cars are...
I think id still prefer something German regardless of how quick it chews up Nurburgring..

Sophistication and Class V "PS" Rice???!!! :

Last edited by 4Vman; 02-10-2008 at 11:11 AM.
4Vman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2008, 11:18 AM   #57
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunter
And all people who drive old Fords and FPV's are poor middle aged bogans who still wear their hats backwards and pants around there knees. See what I did there? ;)

Some fellows seek current true performance vehicles and I'm guessing from what I've read and seen that the GT-R would deliver that. Not all blokes want to drive a 20+ year old muscle car that even in it's day would be considered a stretch to be a performance vehicle on the world stage, and by todays standards is out featured and out performed by your average Toyota.

If the gold chain brigade only care about image, then why would they dump there Porsche, BMW, Mercedes and drive around in a Nissan?

Welll no and yes. I think some people drive old cars because they like them, many can't afford anything better. As we see daily on this forum, people buy them simply for the brand loyalty. Others buy them because they want a V8 and can modify them with a pair of pliers and fencing wire for better than average performance.

I'm sure I'm not alone on this forum as one who could easily drive around in a tarty car, but am quite comfortable in something like the Calais8 and a Falcon....if Ford had the equivalent. I have a 45 year old Falcon to play with, but I wouldn't use it as a daily drive. If I was to put any credence into the hachneyed "tarted up taxi" slur, Falcon would be way off the radar, followed closely by Merc, BMW, Toyota, etc (just about every taxi in Brisbane seems to be a Falcon and I haven't seen a VE Commodore being used as one yet).

I can only guess what makes a gold chained brigadier behave the way he does. Maybe it's an an egocentricity, maybe it's a denial, a midlife crisis, lack of self esteem and self actualisation, ethinicity, Peter Panism, chest hair pride, latent sexuality, dislike of local brands, etc. But gravitate they do, to bling and icons.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:58 PM   #58
Grunter
Donating Member3

Quote:
...I can only guess what makes a gold chained brigadier behave the way he does. Maybe it's an an egocentricity, maybe it's a denial, a midlife crisis, lack of self esteem and self actualisation, ethinicity, Peter Panism, chest hair pride, latent sexuality, dislike of local brands, etc. But gravitate they do, to bling and icons.
I get where you might be coming from, but I don't think the GT-R fits into the Porsche, BMW, etc, image mold. It's a Nissan and any person who buys on image alone wouldn't be caught dead in one. On the other hand I believe that those middle aged blokes that have a bit of coin, who value performance and features and buy on that basis alone, would be happy in a GT-R. I know would.

Current
Old 02-10-2008, 01:36 PM   #59
Go baby Go
Like no other..........

I've sat my bum in one but that's it.
This was at muscle car masters this year. There are two Vic dealers that wil be "authorised Nissan GT-R dealers", one is Werribee the other I can't remember but is Eastern subs i think (not sure of whether it's Oakleigh or Blackburn etc....) this one has been in the mags etc....

Grey Imports have been around for longer than a month - Donut King racing competed in Targa in one, and just the other week a 25-odd year old won Targa West in one, beating Jim Richards.

A recent study found the average Australian walks about 900 miles a year.
Another study found Australians drink, on average, 22 gallons of alcohol a year.
That means, on average, Australians get about 41 miles to the gallon.

Kind of makes you proud to be an aussie.
Go baby Go is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2008, 02:01 PM   #60
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go baby Go
I've sat my bum in one but that's it.
This was at muscle car masters this year. There are two Vic dealers that wil be "authorised Nissan GT-R dealers", one is Werribee the other I can't remember but is Eastern subs i think (not sure of whether it's Oakleigh or Blackburn etc....) this one has been in the mags etc....
Blackburn is the other authorised dealer.