Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 30-01-2012, 11:09 PM   #541
cholly
Starter Motor

Default Re: Whats stopping people from buying the Falcon?

yeah a brand new g6 if i was to buy new is 48,990
Old 30-01-2012, 11:12 PM   #542
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by cholly
so you could buy two compact's??
one for you, one for the missus..
Old 30-01-2012, 11:48 PM   #543
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
thats exactly why noone is buying it, how much are they brand new? 50k??? u get a 1 year old one and its less than half price...
A new G6 is NO WHERE near 50K.. It is only 1-2K more than an xr6.. Is it base G series
Old 30-01-2012, 11:53 PM   #544
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Are you sure you were just shopping for this car?? 49K is wwwaaaaayyyyy wrong for a G6!!!
Old 31-01-2012, 12:01 AM   #545
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Can get a G6 ECOLPI for $36,000 drive away??? Has 36 kilometres on it so I regard as new. Bit of negotiation and easy $34,000. And as said ... the G6 is NOT the base model and ECOLPI is an extra ........

http://www.carsales.com.au/bncis/details/ford-falcon-2011-11337373?postcode=g6&vertical=Car&Range=Price:Min, Max~1&eapi=2&silo=Stock&sort=default&cr=9&__N=1216 %201246%204294966463&distance=25&find=g6|CarAll

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 31-01-2012, 12:15 AM   #546
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett7777
oh ok yeah sorry bout that.
I think it must just be that Im one of those enthusiasts from the old school that bmr is talkin about...personal driving preference & an old school concept that a car is not really a true performance car unless it has RWD.
I guess nowadays that concept has changed a lot? at least in some quarters anyway.
I spose if you grow up with front wheel drive it becomes the norm anyway, & certainly the more recent generation of cars are that way.
Maybe we'll eventually see large Fords & Holdens racing each other at Bathurst with front wheel drive ???

On my reckoning, at least 3/4 of the Falcon range aren't performance cars.

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
Old 31-01-2012, 12:50 AM   #547
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have only ever wanted Falcons, but due to the money being invested in small cars today, they're very attractive packages.

They are safe, stylish and very practical.
Gone are the days of the old Excel or Mazda323 Shades where you had a lawnmower engine, very basic and cramped interior, and as a feature, a clock!

Small cars offer great safety as well.

I want a Falcon however because I like a spacious interior, and I also want crumple zone...

I would buy a Falcon brand new if I had the money to spare. Depreciation is irrelevant as I do not ever plan on selling, and I don't tend to engage in high-risk behaviour on the road - optimistic thinking I know...

I still think that brand image is an issue still, and a lack of effective advertising never helps...

Don't snap my undies.
Old 31-01-2012, 01:23 AM   #548
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats an FG EcoLPI, not an FG2..must be wanting to clear stock????
Old 31-01-2012, 07:28 AM   #549
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
Can get a G6 ECOLPI for $36,000 drive away??? Has 36 kilometres on it so I regard as new. Bit of negotiation and easy $34,000. And as said ... the G6 is NOT the base model and ECOLPI is an extra ........

LINK
That's a fair price, it's a 2011 plate FG G6 with EcoLPI, not an FG II and not 2012 plate.
You may consider it new but it's definitely a superseded FG and probably a November build.
Old 31-01-2012, 09:44 AM   #550
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

http://www.carsales.com.au/bncis/details/ford-falcon-2011-11337373?postcode=g6&vertical=Car&Range=Price:Min, Max~1&eapi=2&silo=Stock&sort=default&cr=9&__N=1216 %201246%204294966463&distance=25&find=g6|CarAll
In the G series range, yes it is!! Lets face it. No-one buys XT, so XR is base for sports & G6 is base for normal Falcons..
Old 31-01-2012, 10:06 AM   #551
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

So ...... An XT is the base model, the G6 is a base model, the GT is the base model? And I thought you had one model and then the rest followed. Stupid me

Superseded or not, it is a starting price for a new car off the lot. I have bought brand new cars before with way more kays!

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 31-01-2012, 07:51 PM   #552
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 31-01-2012, 07:55 PM   #553
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just needs a Ford badge! Looks great.
Old 31-01-2012, 08:07 PM   #554
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Still a w.i.p, not sure if the badge should be on the bonnet or grille

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 31-01-2012, 08:46 PM   #555
brett7777
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew`SEVNT5
On my reckoning, at least 3/4 of the Falcon range aren't performance cars.
who knows? I guess you'd have to take the kw ratings of all the cars on the road & then see where the falcons rate in that list?

I think what I was referring to was the traditional idea that came from drag strips & the race track.

I mean, it's just hard to imagine a front wheel drive doin this
http://media.photobucket.com/image/r...falconAWB3.jpg

EDIT: I guess this is a bit off topic, the RWD thing. I personally think that the falcon sales will bounce back.

I personally dont like the FG shape. I prefer the AU & BA/BF.
Old 31-01-2012, 08:58 PM   #556
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
who knows? I guess you'd have to take the kw ratings of all the cars on the road & then see where the falcons rate in that list?

I think what I was referring to was the traditional idea that came from drag strips & the race track.

I mean, it's just hard to imagine a front wheel drive doin this
http://media.photobucket.com/image/r...falconAWB3.jpg

EDIT: I guess this is a bit off topic, the RWD thing. I personally think that the falcon sales will bounce back.

I personally dont like the FG shape. I prefer the AU & BA/BF.
hard to imagine a RWD doing this..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPCGnkApnDU
Old 31-01-2012, 09:02 PM   #557
brett7777
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good driving
Old 31-01-2012, 09:17 PM   #558
ford lover

Whats stopping people from buying the falcon,stupidity,ignorance,will that do!
Old 31-01-2012, 09:27 PM   #559
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So ...... An XT is the base model, the G6 is a base model, the GT is the base model? And I thought you had one model and then the rest followed. Stupid me
GT is not base.. GS is base for V8s!!!
Old 31-01-2012, 09:43 PM   #560
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

The real reason the falcon is loosing sales is that being Australian built and large means nothing to the general public.

-Having perfomance verisons doesn't phase poeple...arguments about RWD/FWD are void. 90% of people arn't going to take there car out for a spirited drive, or try and be brockies on mountain passes.

-Compared to other models, the falcon lacks in features, when you can buy a Kia/hyundai for under 30g with more features, you've got a problem.

-Made in Japan/korea/china is not the alarm bell it used to be...Japan has more then proved its cars can last, korea as rapidly caught up and china is not far behind.

-There is vary little to fault in the quality of Asian cars...say what you say, have your conspiracy theroies and stories about a mates dad who's corolla needed a new gearbox...no car is perfect...

-The reality is, Ford need to cram as much crap as they can into the falcon (stuff that already exsist in fords worldwide)...more bells and whistles etc...be flash.

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 31-01-2012, 10:13 PM   #561
bad moon rising
Banned

-The reality is, Ford need to cram as much crap as they can into the falcon (stuff that already exsist in fords worldwide)...more bells and whistles etc...be flash.[/quote]

i agree, at least the bells and whistles would distract the occupants from the rattles and clunks.
Old 31-01-2012, 10:59 PM   #562
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Regardless of which wheels do the driving and how many kw's are under the hood, the majority of the Falcon range aren't performance cars, aren't intended to be either.

I really love a good RWD vs FWD argument, but I dont think its very relevant to why or why not the Falcon sells.

If it went FWD, Ford would lose the performance models and all the sales they bring in, probably more than offset by the additional sales from the mainstream market - assuming its a world class car in that respect.

As for the people hating on RWD, (which is utterly bewildering for a car enthusiasts forum!) imagine if the Falcon started life as a FWD family car. (which it never would have in the 60's, I know...) Ford wouldn't have had anything to do with the horsepower race, with Bathurst etc etc. I dont think most of us would be here, or care about Fords of any kind if that was the case. Just a theory...

Anyway, my point is RWD and FWD both have their place. FWD's place is primarily in the mainstream market where cabin space, fuel economy, and price are higher priorities. Thing is, the Falcon needs to appeal to that mainstream market, not the enthusiast market for which RWD is pretty much reserved for these days.

And to bring this rant back on topic, for the Falcon to sell more it needs to be a global car with access to the latest tech, more modern styling with more body shape options, better fuel economy, and be high in quality and low in price. Unfortunately for some of us, that global car will almost certainly happen to be FWD.
Old 31-01-2012, 11:27 PM   #563
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nikked & Bad Moon Rising..I have said before the Falcon lacks equipment but I have been shot down. As I have said, Falcon badge the Mondeo as the Falcon 4 and the Falcon 6 continue. BUT the Falcon 4 Titanium has more kit than the Falcon 6 G6E !!!! be a hard sell for the G6E......
Old 31-01-2012, 11:29 PM   #564
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

The G6E only needs front park assist, blind spot assist, adaptive cruise and a sunroof and its better then the Mondeo Titanium.
Old 31-01-2012, 11:34 PM   #565
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

DASH GT that wouldn't be hard for Ford Aus to do...
Old 31-01-2012, 11:43 PM   #566
Raysie

I'd love nothing more than to have an XR6 FG Falcon. Sadly what's stopping me is money. Even something as cheap as a used FG Falcon for $18k is too much for me.
Old 31-01-2012, 11:45 PM   #567
69Mach1

Resale!
Old 31-01-2012, 11:45 PM   #568
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Nikked & Bad Moon Rising..I have said before the Falcon lacks equipment but I have been shot down. As I have said, Falcon badge the Mondeo as the Falcon 4 and the Falcon 6 continue. BUT the Falcon 4 Titanium has more kit than the Falcon 6 G6E !!!! be a hard sell for the G6E......
I don't understand why you'd want to rebadge the Mendeo?? Lets rebagde the Range as Falcon ute & the Focus as a Falcon too.. Then sales of Falcon would be really good!!! Mondeo is a Mondeo, let it be a Mondeo!!!
Old 31-01-2012, 11:49 PM   #569
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
The real reason the falcon is loosing sales is that being Australian built and large means nothing to the general public.

-Having perfomance verisons doesn't phase poeple...arguments about RWD/FWD are void. 90% of people arn't going to take there car out for a spirited drive, or try and be brockies on mountain passes.

-Compared to other models, the falcon lacks in features, when you can buy a Kia/hyundai for under 30g with more features, you've got a problem.

-Made in Japan/korea/china is not the alarm bell it used to be...Japan has more then proved its cars can last, korea as rapidly caught up and china is not far behind.

-There is vary little to fault in the quality of Asian cars...say what you say, have your conspiracy theroies and stories about a mates dad who's corolla needed a new gearbox...no car is perfect...

-The reality is, Ford need to cram as much crap as they can into the falcon (stuff that already exsist in fords worldwide)...more bells and whistles etc...be flash.
That's probably one of the most complete and truthful postings about the problems with the Falcon that I've ever seen...it's just about all there, and is so true it isn't funny. People couldn't care less about FWD/RWD anymore, performance models like the GT and FPV range only exist so people can go "Ooooo" in the showroom...and then walk past to go buy an XR6 or a G6 or something...they certainly aren't volume sellers, and basically vastly more people seem to get excited by the idea of a V8 still being available, but will never actually lay down cash and buy one. People expect far more "toys" in their cars now...even my sons new $11,990 drive away Suzuki Alto has power front windows, plush seats, iPod connectivety, power steering, and other nice features.

I think you about covered it all.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:31 AM   #570
bad moon rising
Banned

^^^ i thinks its true.
people dream of getting a f6/gs/gt but thats not what they buy, there just to expensive.
id love a fg xr6 but theres no way in hell id buy a new one for $30k+ when you can get a 12month old 2nd hand one for $20k still with warranty.
i know ford is out there to make a profit like any other business but if people could get a brand new fg xt for say $25k xr6/g6 for $30k xr6t for $35k they would sell a hell of a lot more cars.
just look at how many excels were sold when they were $12990 drive away, people didnt care that they were slow and the trims fell off they just wanted a cheap car with a warranty.
if they could sell the cars at a cheaper purchase price i would think since there would be more on the roads they would still make plenty of money with parts and servicing etc.
Closed Thread