Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-09-2021, 06:04 PM   #481
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Re: Twilight for the traditional ICE automobile

It’s interesting that 80% of Australia’s population lives in costal areas, that’s 20 million people.
The future normally doesn’t pan out exactly the way some would have us believe…
jpd80 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2021, 06:49 PM   #482
kmav23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
It’s much easier carrying jerry cans of fuel in remote areas, than to carry a generator or solar panels to recharge from.
Easier to generate electricity via solar panels on your own land rather than move fuel from overseas and transport to you remote location.
kmav23 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-09-2021, 10:15 AM   #483
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmav23 View Post
Easier to generate electricity via solar panels on your own land rather than move fuel from overseas and transport to you remote location.
From the user perspective it is not.
where do you get these ideas? not everything is learnt from the internet
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2021, 10:20 AM   #484
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
When I used to go off-road, there were no stations or anything such for well over the Range of my Everest. That's why some Toyotas have the dual tanks. With an EV, you can only travel where you know you can fill up again. You can't just strap a couple of Jerry cans to the car for extra range.

Like I said, there are use cases. They don't have to be everything for everyone.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2021, 10:30 AM   #485
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
When I used to go off-road, there were no stations or anything such for well over the Range of my Everest. That's why some Toyotas have the dual tanks. With an EV, you can only travel where you know you can fill up again. You can't just strap a couple of Jerry cans to the car for extra range.

Like I said, there are use cases. They don't have to be everything for everyone.
Exactly, we also didnt have road systems straight away when the car went mainstream.

Give it time and it will evolve, unless the jab you still have choice with cars for a bit longer.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-09-2021, 11:01 AM   #486
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Perhaps it'll make you feel better if I'd said that the usual method of going to 'town' or visit neighbours is their plane.
out of all the farmers I know with air craft none used them for all the runs in to town and its still just the farm owner or manager that have an air craft for that the rest are usually light choppers for stock herding
so can't just pop in to town for that half ton of parts or the large amount of supplies and ever movement at flight height to other areas needs a submitters and approver flight plan and maybe approved use of runways pending the airport used and that's all at cost usually
easier to jump in the vehicle and do your running around town

on a side note knew a farmer in the 80's that regular go in trouble with the law for flying his light aircraft in to town landing on the main road and taxi'ing to the pub to drink

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2021, 11:22 AM   #487
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Sure. They can stick with Diesel's. No one is forcing them to change if their usecase is such. Don't get caught up on the notion that they need to be all things for everyone. The outliers can still use their ICE for their farms. .
curious
i thought this thread was bout the end of the ice motor for vehicles
but hey they can stick with it
so heck I can stick with it too
so it's now a thread about improvements on the EV front by XX DATE THEN RIGHT ?

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2021, 11:24 AM   #488
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodahs View Post
curious

i thought this thread was bout the end of the ice motor for vehicles

but hey they can stick with it

so heck I can stick with it too

so it's now a thread about improvements on the EV front by XX DATE THEN RIGHT ?
No. This thread was about what ICE to look forward to before their ultimate demise.

I'm sure that horses or camels were still useful well after the automobile and ICE came to market.

If the EV can't do the job needed, you will have to still keep using ICE or have to change the way you do the job. So if you can't do the latter, then its not the persons fault if car companies/govts/private charging networks haven't met their usecase. Its as simple and complex as that.

The date set by countries will be for the 90%+ of the urban population and some rural (not remote) communities. The rest will have exceptions till the technology is available. People don't buy horses anymore (to thrash out that analogy) for transport (typically) cause the ICE is where it needs to be. Some remote areas are easier by horse back than by ICE though even to this day.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited by kypez; 15-09-2021 at 11:41 AM.
2 users like this post:
Old 15-09-2021, 03:06 PM   #489
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
For the consumer it sure as hell isn't. The people buying the fuel don't need to move the fuel from overseas.

I was talking about someone travelling to remote areas. Are they going to tow a huge solar array to charge an EV?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2021, 04:45 PM   #490
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
For the consumer it sure as hell isn't. The people buying the fuel don't need to move the fuel from overseas.

I was talking about someone travelling to remote areas. Are they going to tow a huge solar array to charge an EV?
What's funnier is somebody actually liked his Post
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2021, 05:18 PM   #491
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper Martini View Post
Model S wouldn't handle too many farm driveways I've seen but I guess the hobbyist would have that concreted at the same time they upgraded to 3 phase to charge the dam thing
The Air Suspension on them allow you to raise the car a fair bit. Sure, not SUV/4x4 height but its quite good. The AWD on them give you pretty good grip as well. I've been surprised by their capabilities. Think its 170mm clearance at its highest setting; decent for a Sedan. I've taken mine off road and its done really well. Many times I thought I'd have no chance, the car has surprised me for a Sedan. I've only been to hobby farms though. There is a video of a guy doing the Oodnadatta track in a Tesla. They're not bad.

And you don't need 3 phase to charge them. Single phase will charge your car just fine. You just need more Amps available and it takes a little longer. 24amps 3 phase or 32 amps Single phase (these are the max on my car; newer ones can do 48amps single phase). We had Single phase for the first couple of years of ownership till we moved to a new property that was already wired for 3 phase.
Old 16-09-2021, 07:02 PM   #492
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper Martini View Post
Besides that that farmers get cheap diesel too.
Model S wouldn't handle too many farm driveways I've seen but I guess the hobbyist would have that concreted at the same time they upgraded to 3 phase to charge the dam thing
thats another thing old houses were 3 phase,
new dwellings are single phase..
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2021, 11:50 AM   #493
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks so cheap and convenient, can't wait till were all trapped into one.
https://youtu.be/_FgxzYVaItQ
five 7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 26-09-2021, 12:05 PM   #494
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

People who want electric vehicles now know what they are in for with charging issues,
most early adopters will be daily commuters that rely on home based charging.
Those that have a lot of away from home base travel will probably do better with hybrid
or PHEVs, I think that will be the case until BEV batteries get better and charging networks
become more widely accepted and trusted, we’re not gonna see that in just two or three years.
jpd80 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2021, 12:43 PM   #495
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always has a helpful answer in the technical sections, wether it's giving information on a simple diagnosis with a small issue, Helping someone fix their car if they are stuck on removing/installing something, or just need information on what works how. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
People who want electric vehicles now know what they are in for with charging issues,
most early adopters will be daily commuters that rely on home based charging.
Those that have a lot of away from home base travel will probably do better with hybrid
or PHEVs, I think that will be the case until BEV batteries get better and charging networks
become more widely accepted and trusted, we’re not gonna see that in just two or three years.
Good video five 7. Daily commute is the main application, stop start traffic, low mileage. The only way its going to improve is if they can double the range from what it is now, so either a revolutionary new technology or just double the battery size. Its never mentioned that its bad for battery life, to be demanding near full power from a battery that is running low. The rule of thumb is to always keep a battery above about 50% charge. I suppose they could have the software progressively reduce power output once it gets below 50% charge, maybe they already do.
AMB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2021, 01:30 PM   #496
.:4:.
Kicking back

The one 'issue' i raised about ev's to the building manager of a high rise office block a few years back was people scabbing power. So the way it went was there was a bloke with a model s who every morning would park his car in his allocated spot, run out a 20m extention lead and slow charge his car for his 8 hours of work off a cleaners outlet. Another tennant complained to the building manager as the lead was a trip hazzard. So fair call on that. The bloke in question asked the bm if a closer outlet coupd be installed. When i was asked, my answer was yes, however the building is paying to charge this blokes car 5 days a week.
So the moment money came into it the bm was straight up asking for the solution knowing fully well you cannot delete the cleaners outlets as the cleaners need them. Solution was simple, replace them all with keyed outlets, have them all keyed alike and get a stack of keys cut for the cleaners, security and keep a few for the blokes i worked with.
So dedicated fast chargers you have to pay for, but i reckon there are a lot of people out there who will plug in anywhere non thinkingly slow charging off any 10a outlet running up other peoples electricity bills without consent.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2021, 05:54 PM   #497
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMB View Post
. The rule of thumb is to always keep a battery above about 50% charge. I suppose they could have the software progressively reduce power output once it gets below 50% charge, maybe they already do.
Part of the downfall of lead acid battery banks not newer LiPol systems.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2021, 06:01 PM   #498
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by five 7 View Post
Looks so cheap and convenient, can't wait till were all trapped into one.
https://youtu.be/_FgxzYVaItQ
I've done Sydney to Brissy and Sydney to Melbourne. Done trips to Dubbo and into many regional areas. Never have run out ever.

Did the great ocean road just before COVID from Sydney. Seriously, you have to be an absolute idiot to run out with all the chargers these days.

Old 26-09-2021, 06:08 PM   #499
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
I've done Sydney to Brissy and Sydney to Melbourne. Done trips to Dubbo and into many regional areas. Never have run out ever.

Did the great ocean road just before COVID from Sydney. Seriously, you have to be an absolute idiot to run out with all the chargers these days.

With the Sydney to Melbourne, where did you stop along the way and how long for?
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2021, 06:14 PM   #500
roKWiz
Cabover nut

I don't see what all the fuss is about. I'm sure someone in the market for electric would do their own due dilligence about re charging them and range they need.
People who want to buy them will and those who don't want one wouldn't.

Old 26-09-2021, 06:20 PM   #501
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
I don't see what all the fuss is about. I'm sure someone in the market for electric would do their own due dilligence about re charging them and range they need.
People who want to buy them will and those who don't want one wouldn't.
I'm sold on this:

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...19749698/?Cr=1

100KW/320NM EV

Uses tiny onboard motor as a generator to charge 1.5KW lithium ion battery that runs the electric motor - doesn't connect to the wheels of the car, its like a diesel electric train, except unleaded and a car

3L/100km

System works as follows

Of course, not available in Australia like anything half decent
Old 26-09-2021, 06:29 PM   #502
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
With the Sydney to Melbourne, where did you stop along the way and how long for?
There are chargers every 2 hours or so apart on the drive. On the way down, I skip the Goulburn charger and stop at the Gundagai charger (right on the highway at the Olivers). Then Woodonga and into Melbourne. The car calculates the stops. Typically, 20 minutes each stop. Max 30 minutes (depending on temperature). Or you can stop at the Euroa one as well and make your stops only 15 minutes each. Lower you run the battery, the faster it will charge. Better off doing a couple quick chargers than trying to do a big charger when fast charging. 4 stops of 12 minutes or 2 stops of 25 minutes. Your pick.

Old 26-09-2021, 06:32 PM   #503
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
There are chargers every 2 hours or so apart on the drive. On the way down, I skip the Goulburn charger and stop at the Gundagai charger (right on the highway at the Olivers). Then Woodonga and into Melbourne. The car calculates the stops. Typically, 20 minutes each stop. Max 30 minutes (depending on temperature). Or you can stop at the Euroa one as well and make your stops only 15 minutes each. Lower you run the battery, the faster it will charge. Better off doing a couple quick chargers than trying to do a big charger when fast charging. 4 stops of 12 minutes or 2 stops of 25 minutes. Your pick.

There's also some chargers set up in motels along the way.

Old 26-09-2021, 06:37 PM   #504
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
I'm sold on this:

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...19749698/?Cr=1

100KW/320NM EV

Uses tiny onboard motor as a generator to charge 1.5KW lithium ion battery that runs the electric motor - doesn't connect to the wheels of the car, its like a diesel electric train, except unleaded and a car

3L/100km

System works as follows

Of course, not available in Australia like anything half decent
EV tech has been around for a long time,newer tech will improve the systems over time, there are a few boatbuilder along the Murray who dabble in EB's

Renew magazine has been doing home conversion stories for years now. I would do one just as an experiment in one of the small trucks and use locally.

Old 26-09-2021, 06:41 PM   #505
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:

This took 6 hours 52 minutes, with the only stop being my driveway.

Average speed, 106km/h, avoid highways where possible when in VIC

But from your example, the average person doing long distances via car probably wants to stop and also keep their license, it is indeed possible to do capital to capital via EV.
Old 26-09-2021, 06:47 PM   #506
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:

But from your example, the average person doing long distances via car probably wants to stop and also keep their license, it is indeed possible to do capital to capital via EV.
running outlaw, Franco.

3 users like this post:
Old 26-09-2021, 06:50 PM   #507
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:

I've done Uluru to Sydney in 30 hours door to door. Wasn't the smartest thing in hindsight but I was young and wanted to see if we could do it. That 30 hours included 2 hours for sleep around Port Augusta between 4 and 6 am.

It would be silly to suggest the EV will be quicker than ICE for distances over 400 kms - 500 kms. I can go 500 easily with the model 3 Long Range. Beyond that, charging stops need to be factored in.

These days, I'm not in such a hurry and I've found that by the time you have bite to eat and use the loo, the car is ready to roll anyway so the time penalty doesn't really affect the journey much. But my travel is for leisure.

Old 26-09-2021, 06:51 PM   #508
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
running outlaw, Franco.
I think next challenge is do Melbourne to Brisbane with only stopping for fuel - Google reckons a bit over 18 hours and just under 1800km.

If I don't flog the crap out of the car I can generally go 900km to a tank safely, would put me at a fuel stop in Sydney.
Old 26-09-2021, 06:54 PM   #509
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
I think next challenge is do Melbourne to Brisbane with only stopping for fuel - Google reckons a bit over 18 hours.
Mate did it in a Sandman many years ago, not many Superslabs then, we reckon he averaged 120km/h. Not to shabby.

Old 26-09-2021, 06:56 PM   #510
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
I've done Uluru to Sydney in 30 hours door to door. Wasn't the smartest thing in hindsight but I was young and wanted to see if we could do it. That 30 hours included 2 hours for sleep around Port Augusta between 4 and 6 am.

It would be silly to suggest the EV will be quicker than ICE for distances over 400 kms - 500 kms. I can go 500 easily with the model 3 Long Range. Beyond that, charging stops need to be factored in.

These days, I'm not in such a hurry and I've found that by the time you have bite to eat and use the loo, the car is ready to roll anyway so the time penalty doesn't really affect the journey much. But my travel is for leisure.

Just an observation...

If you are getting 500k to a 'tank' of electricity would it affect your travel time that badly?

Most of us older humans over 40 (don't worry Franco, you will get there one day) would only do about 500k a day these days anyway and would stay in a comfy motel for the night.

Wouldn't you just charge it overnight?
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: