Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 25-03-2014, 07:10 PM   #451
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Malaysian Airways Flight 370

They've (the Malaysians) have F1 GP to cater for this weekend. They need to have this issue out of the spot light for a while. That's my take on making a premature announcement based on no hard evidence confirming crash debris in the south Indian Ocean.
This user likes this post:
Old 25-03-2014, 07:16 PM   #452
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

This Whole debarkle reeks of a cover-up!! I smell a gigantic rat!
To top off the poor families grief, they were TEXTED that all their relos are dead.. Not personally visited or even phoned.. Nope, texted!
AND apparently relos booted out of their Malaysian airlines supplied hotel accomodation to make room for this weekends F1 requirements..
Tell you what... I'd NEVER EVER fly with this shonky mob, I'd rather fly with the friggin Wright Bros!
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2014, 07:19 PM   #453
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
This Whole debarkle reeks of a cover-up!! I smell a gigantic rat!
To top off the poor families grief, they were TEXTED that all their relos are dead.. Not personally visited or even phoned.. Nope, texted!
AND apparently relos booted out of their Malaysian airlines supplied hotel accomodation to make room for this weekends F1 requirements..
Tell you what... I'd NEVER EVER fly with this shonky mob, I'd rather fly with the friggin Wright Bros!
Hey the Wright brothers have an updated fleet;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbF91DY3HT4

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2014, 07:37 PM   #454
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Does the B777-200ER have an ELT on board (I guess more to the point does Malaysia Airlines carry them).

It's almost like there needs to be an automatically deploy-able ELT in the event an airliner crashes.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2014, 07:53 PM   #455
No.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
Having said that though, there are hundreds of relatives, and those that were in Malaysia were contacted directly. The ones that weren't, attempts to contact them were made but then were texted before they could find out from the Media first about the flight.

"Wherever humanly possible, we did so in person with the families or by telephone, using SMS only as an additional means of ensuring fully that the nearly 1,000 family members heard the news from us and not from the media."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-03-2...milies/5343946

See, mainstream media (7, 9, 10) don't like to tell the whole story, and want to conjure up ill feeling towards Malaysia airlines as that's what gets peoples attention.

I think what Malaysia Airlines did in this instance is fair.

Regarding the US$5000 compensation for each family member on the plane...might not seem like a lot, but Malaysia Airlines don't have the millions or billions of dollars in revenue. Last year they posted a loss of $356 million for 2013. This offer could be the best they can do, which they aren't even REQUIRED to do. Its also just a starting offer to help families with their IMMEDIATE expenses. Once again, its just the media trying to stir the public up into a riot with their one sided headlines.

Last edited by No.6; 25-03-2014 at 08:04 PM.
No.6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2014, 08:59 PM   #456
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^ good post

Like I said previously lots of criticism of Malaysia w/out all facts being known

everyone's an expert on air crash investigation all of a sudden
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2014, 09:41 PM   #457
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx000 View Post

Like I said previously lots of criticism of Malaysia w/out all facts being known

everyone's an expert on air crash investigation all of a sudden
Hang on a sec... there's Malaysia and then there's Malaysia Airlines.

Malaysia (read Government officials; Transport Minister, Security Minister, etc) were a bunch of fumbling idiots in the first few days of the situation.

Malaysia Airlines may very well be helping the families with some compensation and paying for hotel accommodation, but some would argue this is negligible in a situation like this.

Any one know what the legal obligations of the airline are if its found to be their fault? Would the families of the victims sue?
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-03-2014, 11:10 PM   #458
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Surely they are insured for this???

Just like any other business that causes injury or death to customers during its operations???
Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2014, 12:01 AM   #459
nstg8a

Aren't they still saying its suspicious though? Those comms were deliberately turned off, bit hard to state categorically that Malaysia airlines are the ones at fault until we know what's actually happened on board that plane.

I'm sure their lawyers and insurance companies will be ramping up already, and making sure nothing they do acknowledges guilt until all possible facts are known.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2014, 04:14 AM   #460
FPVS3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
Does the B777-200ER have an ELT on board (I guess more to the point does Malaysia Airlines carry them).

It's almost like there needs to be an automatically deploy-able ELT in the event an airliner crashes.
Fuselage Mounted Emergency Locator Transmitter (ELT)
An emergency locator transmitter (ELT) is mounted to the top center of the
fuselage in the passenger cabin area.
The ELT automatically transmits distress signals on 121.5 MHZ, 243 MHZ,
and 406 MHZ if a high deceleration is sensed, or if the ELT switch is
positioned to ON.
2011 FG GTP 335 S/C. Auto, tiptronic. iPV ceramic headers, stainless hi flow cats and big bore, BMC filter, X3 tune, DBA T3 rotors, Roadhouse Performance pads. From Herrod; 100lb injectors, hi flow pump, Aeroflow fuel regulator, air to water intercooler, hi boost pulley kit, JLT breather. Hub dynoed at 598fwkw, 498rwkw, 959Nm torque, boost 10.62psi at 3750rpm (warm day). All done by iPV!
Other rides; '21 Jaguar F-Pace, '21 Ford Ranger FX4-MAX.
FPVS3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-03-2014, 05:45 AM   #461
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

And if anything was said on 243 or 121.5 then it WOULD have been heard, absolutely no question.
Old 26-03-2014, 07:33 AM   #462
xrxystu
Hangar pilot....

ELT's can be manually switched off though....
xrxystu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2014, 11:17 AM   #463
iCat
doof doof doof doof

i see China is questioning the validity of the results now.
Old 26-03-2014, 11:38 AM   #464
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cram_it_frog View Post
I am not sure of all of the details but few years ago a private chater of fly in fly out workers left perth not sure but they found the jet in queensland a little later it was decompresion that did it but like this case nothing was heard from the pilot

It was heading for the gold fields but just ke[t going

that was scarry and to think this is posibly not the first time this has happened in a aircraft with no word from the crew just vaniish
This is another possibility. It's called the zombie flight. The entire plane silent with everyone unconscious or dead until it runs out of fuel. When you visualize this situation and your can just hear the hum of the engines, it's very chilling.
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2014, 12:15 PM   #465
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPVS3 View Post
Fuselage Mounted Emergency Locator Transmitter (ELT)
An emergency locator transmitter (ELT) is mounted to the top center of the
fuselage in the passenger cabin area.
The ELT automatically transmits distress signals on 121.5 MHZ, 243 MHZ,
and 406 MHZ if a high deceleration is sensed, or if the ELT switch is
positioned to ON.
So its not externally mounted then?

I'm visualising something that is automatically ejected and activated from the aircraft if it crashes.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Old 26-03-2014, 01:23 PM   #466
xrxystu
Hangar pilot....

Taken from a Boeing AMM (Aircraft Maintenance manual):

"Purpose

Emergency locator transmitters help rescue crews find airplanes which land away from an airport. The transmitters send a radio signal to satellites, other airplanes, and air traffic control facilities. Rescue crews use information from these sources to find the airplane.

Physical Description

The emergency locator transmitter is a compact, buoyant, automatic unit. Emergency locator transmitters have these parts:

Transmitter

Battery

Antenna

Lanyard.

The transmitter provides a homing signal for civil and military search aircraft by automatically transmitting a swept-tone-modulated signal simultaneously on both the civil and military international VHF aeronautical distress frequencies (121.5 and 243.0 MHz). Some ELTs can also operate at the frequency of 406.025MHz.

Some ELTs are equipped with a silver chloride/magnesium primary cell. In the preactivated state the electrolyte is dry and the battery is inert. The battery is activated when the electrolyte gets wet with water. Immersion in water (as a result of an aircraft ditching) automatically activates the battery.

The antenna pivots and folds along the length of the emergency locator transmitter for stowage. Some ELTs contain water-soluble tape that retains the antenna in the stowed position.

Emergency locator transmitters have a lanyard assembly and in some cases, a yoke cable. The lanyard assembly has 60 feet of braided nylon cord and attaches to a flexible stainless-steel yoke cable. The yoke cable attaches to the battery case and wraps around the battery case. The lanyard cord is bifilar-wound on a holder card and the yoke cable and holder card attach to the battery case with water-soluble tape. A lanyard guide and the stowed antenna hold the nylon cord approximately four feet from the free end of the lanyard.

For method of use, refer to the component operation instructions and placards.

Emergency locator transmitters may be in these general locations:

Life rafts

Overhead stowage bins

Center ceiling compartments

Other stowage locations throughout the airplane.

See your operations manual to determine the types, quantity, and locations of the emergency locator transmitters.

Placards on the airplane identify the locations of emergency equipment."

Stu.
Old 26-03-2014, 01:31 PM   #467
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolver View Post
This is another possibility. It's called the zombie flight. The entire plane silent with everyone unconscious or dead until it runs out of fuel. When you visualize this situation and your can just hear the hum of the engines, it's very chilling.
Yep and it has happened a few times and is what I suspect happened this time (although I am no expert)

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2014, 01:38 PM   #468
FPVS3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB076 View Post
Yep and it has happened a few times and is what I suspect happened this time (although I am no expert)
Sounds feasible to me.
2011 FG GTP 335 S/C. Auto, tiptronic. iPV ceramic headers, stainless hi flow cats and big bore, BMC filter, X3 tune, DBA T3 rotors, Roadhouse Performance pads. From Herrod; 100lb injectors, hi flow pump, Aeroflow fuel regulator, air to water intercooler, hi boost pulley kit, JLT breather. Hub dynoed at 598fwkw, 498rwkw, 959Nm torque, boost 10.62psi at 3750rpm (warm day). All done by iPV!
Old 26-03-2014, 01:42 PM   #469
FPVS3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So its not externally mounted then?

I'm visualising something that is automatically ejected and activated from the aircraft if it crashes.
Internally mounted. There is another emergency beacon the crew take with them if ditching. It is activated by contact with salt water.
Old 26-03-2014, 01:44 PM   #470
FPVS3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrxystu View Post
ELT's can be manually switched off though....
That's right.
Old 26-03-2014, 01:44 PM   #471
xrxystu
Hangar pilot....

Kinda doesn't explain why it suddenly dropped off the RADAR with no mayday or any other distress signal. Now they're suspecting wreckage 1000's of kms away is all that is left.
I feel bad for all on board and their families looking for answers.

Stu.
2 users like this post:
Old 26-03-2014, 02:15 PM   #472
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Those Zombie flight usually maintain a designated flight path then fall from the sky once the fuel supply runs out. Bit hard to change direction, switch off the transponder, then the ACARS when you`re asleep.

If that were to be the case, then there must have been an unprecendeted chain of events that led to the plane ditching in the southern Indian ocean.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-03-2014, 02:20 PM   #473
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPVS3 View Post
Internally mounted. There is another emergency beacon the crew take with them if ditching. It is activated by contact with salt water.
But yes, it relies on the crew to activate it which is impossible if they are all incapacitated.

And if the plane is at the bottom of the Indian Ocean, the satellites wouldn't pick up the signal from the ELT or...?

Old 26-03-2014, 02:37 PM   #474
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepscobra View Post
Any one know what the legal obligations of the airline are if its found to be their fault? Would the families of the victims sue?
I dare say that there is at least one Jumbo on it's way to Malaysia full of American specialist lawyers
Old 26-03-2014, 02:45 PM   #475
FPVS3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
I dare say that there is at least one Jumbo on it's way to Malaysia full of American specialist lawyers
They'll need one b747 for their PAs alone
Old 26-03-2014, 02:50 PM   #476
FPVS3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
But yes, it relies on the crew to activate it which is impossible if they are all incapacitated.

And if the plane is at the bottom of the Indian Ocean, the satellites wouldn't pick up the signal from the ELT or...?
True....and don't know.
Old 26-03-2014, 02:51 PM   #477
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

An interesting link on insurance claims in the US vs outside for the air asia crash recently. Might point to some figures expected for this event

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3603896.html

As most were asian Im guessing, unfairly, that they will recieve less than the westerners for this event.

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2014, 03:10 PM   #478
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Will this incident alone collapse MA with the flow on effect, or will they end up somehow legally finding a loophole?

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2014, 04:05 PM   #479
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
Will this incident alone collapse MA with the flow on effect, or will they end up somehow legally finding a loophole?
They are owned by the Malay government (people) so they wont collapse, Probably have to offer some cheap tickets for a while but the chances of a repeat of this tragedy is low.

I will be comparing their prices for an upcoming trip to europe in a few months

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2014, 05:06 PM   #480
XWGT