Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-11-2022, 08:24 PM   #361
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 
Default Re: Global New Ranger Raptor reveal

that's one of my test cars
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2022, 08:26 PM   #362
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
Ford testing the new EV Raptor?!

Similar happened when Everest was launched
I can't find any reference to this anywhere so I'm calling BS unless anyone can prove different
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 26-11-2022, 09:09 PM   #363
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
I can't find any reference to this anywhere so I'm calling BS unless anyone can prove different
Of course you wouldn't. It's not an EV that caught fire. That's what makes the press.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2022, 10:44 PM   #364
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
that's one of my test cars
Is the fog light meant to come on with the brake lights?
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2022, 09:25 AM   #365
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR Martin View Post
Is the fog light meant to come on with the brake lights?
Might be the indicator light on at the same time as the picture was taken

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2023, 12:03 PM   #366
Gumboot

HI,

I have a Ranger Raptor finally meant to be built this month after many delays..

At what point did people receive their Ford raptor gift pack? Before of after the build?
Did you have to chase ford or the dealer for those that did not get it?
Cheers
Gumboot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2023, 01:11 PM   #367
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumboot View Post
HI,

I have a Ranger Raptor finally meant to be built this month after many delays..

At what point did people receive their Ford raptor gift pack? Before of after the build?
Did you have to chase ford or the dealer for those that did not get it?
Cheers
My dealer supposedly didn't know about it even though they've been selling Raptors and Mustangs for years. I had to chase the dealer up and received it a couple of weeks after I had picked the Raptor up.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2023, 05:54 PM   #368
vixf6

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post
My dealer supposedly didn't know about it even though they've been selling Raptors and Mustangs for years. I had to chase the dealer up and received it a couple of weeks after I had picked the Raptor up.
Can we have a small report/review of several months Rap ownership? What are your thoughts, is it worth $90k odd?
2016 R8 Clubsport Lsa sold for beer money
F6 sold AND SAD ABOUT IT
vixf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2023, 08:31 PM   #369
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So what's this rumor of a LWB Ranger with 4.5t tow capacity?

Old 04-01-2023, 09:05 PM   #370
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
It's called the RHD F-150.........
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 04-01-2023, 09:12 PM   #371
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

Quote:
https://fordauthority.com/2022/06/20...-in-australia/
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2023, 09:16 PM   #372
hayseed

Quote:
Nothing but a rumour, I would think...!!
they wouldn't spend all that Money bringing the F150 here, If that was the case..

BISTBC
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2023, 09:35 PM   #373
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

[QUOTE=hayseed;6772269]Nothing but a rumour, I would think...!!
they wouldn't spend all that Money bringing the F150 here, If that was the case..

So whats your thoughts on this?

GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2023, 09:52 PM   #374
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

[QUOTE=GTLEGEND;6772287]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
Nothing but a rumour, I would think...!!

So whats your thoughts on this?

This will be a region-specific model, I would doubt it will make it here.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2023, 11:59 PM   #375
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixf6 View Post
Can we have a small report/review of several months Rap ownership? What are your thoughts, is it worth $90k odd?
I've only done a few thousand kms so far but I'll give some quick thoughts. Mind you I'm no wordsmith. I will be racking up the kms in it later in the month so I might be able to give a more detailed opinion when I get back.

I love the way it drives. It is a great step up from the basic XL Rangers I had previously. The power and ride are great. It should make for a fantastic tourer.

I've only done a little offroading in it so far which included a steep rocky climb and some fast blasts on the flats. On the climb I threw it into Rock drive mode and it didn't break a sweat climbing it. It was actually ridiculous how easy it did it. One the flats, I threw it in Baja mode. The acceleration on the loose dirt is awesome. No slip, just go. It feels almost as quick on the dirt as it does on the tar. The suspension just takes everything you throw at it. The faster you go, the better it gets. I've also done some mild corrugations which you hardly even feel.

The air conditioning is great. Much much much better than the three PX series Rangers I've had.

The sound of the exhaust - This I'm on the fence on. I can't decide if I like it. Sometimes I think it sounds great. Others I'm not sure. I've overtaken I few of the boys when leaving work and from their reports they say it sounds good from their cars as they are left as a shrinking dot in my mirror.

The stereo is great for a standard ute. As are the seats. I find them very comfortable and supportive. Plus they look great.

If you like talking to random people get a bright orange Raptor. I quite often get random people coming up to me asking me about it.

Now some downsides. I haven't checked the fuel economy since I first got it but I notice the dash is now showing my average since I got it to be 15.8L/100km. I filled up the other day and the range was 400km with the full tank. When you use that right foot, you will be visiting the servo often.

There are a number of electronic glitches. The main being Android Auto not connecting occasionally but I think I've mentioned that before. I've filled up with fuel then the next day it tells me I don't have enough fuel to make it to the next servo. I've had other errors pop up including advanced front lighting features unavailable and an electronic park brake error. There have been a couple of others as well but I can't think of what they were.

There are times you can really feel it's size. I think it is mainly due to the front guards and bonnet being squared up with this design giving the impression that it is bigger than it actually is.

Memory seats would be great. My wife is about a foot shorter than me so it can be annoying changing the seating position constantly.

I've already made a warranty claim. I kept getting an airbag light on the dash. Took it in for the 3000km check up and to check out the light (at 1500km). Got the call, yep all good to go. Jump in it and start it up at the dealers and the light is still on. WTF. Anyway, they sorted it all out so no dramas there. Turns out it was a faulty clock spring which I had to go back for. I also got them to check out a rattle/knock at the rear while they had it. I thought it was the tailgate. When I pick it up they tell me it was the rear numberplate which they remounted. Off I go. Still making the noise on the way home. So in I go when the clock spring arrives and get them to have another go. Get the call. The noise was the tailgate strut I added. Funny that it was making the noise before I fitted that. So when I go in I explain that and could they have another look. Old mate was at lunch so I had to wait. So I removed the strut (which takes a whole 1 minute. Maybe they could have done it to confirm that was the issue) while I wait. Noise is still there. Old mate comes back from lunch so out we go and have a look. There are a couple of rubber pads that sit against tailgate. So he tightens them to place more pressure on the tailgate and sends me on my way. Guess what. Noise is still there. So that is ongoing. I'm beginning to think it's not the tailgate at all and maybe a knock in the suspension somewhere.

I also notice on the Ford Pass app that there is a recall due on it.
While on the Ford Pass app, it can be frustratingly slow to use when remote starting to turn the air con on before you get in. Sometimes it doesn't work. It would be great if you could remote start it from the key instead of having to use the app.

Overall I'm very happy with it. There are a couple of minor issues that do take the shine of the new car ownership but nothing major. I'm a member of a few Raptor groups and it seems the tech issues are common so that is something for Ford to work on. Maybe an update down the track will get rid of the glitches.

Is it worth $90k? Well it is well worth the $10k premium over a Wildtrak in my opinion. Even just the engine would be for me. Let alone the suspension, tyres, locking front diff, the exhaust, the much better instrument cluster instead of the Commodore 64 looking one in the lower models etc etc.
As for $90k. Well are any of these dual cabs really worth that? I guess when you look around for something comparable then yes it is definitely worth the price of admission. I was thinking of getting a DT RAM but the Laramies are about $45-50k more than what I paid for this and really all I would get over the Raptor is some more space, V8 and more towing capacity (which I don't need).

Last edited by naddis01; 05-01-2023 at 12:08 AM.
4 users like this post:
Old 05-01-2023, 12:03 AM   #376
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
The 4.5T towing just sounds like 'journalist' speculation to me. They would have to significantly raise the GCM for this to happen.
Old 05-01-2023, 11:25 AM   #377
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Quote:
The 4.5T towing just sounds like 'journalist' speculation to me. They would have to significantly raise the GCM for this to happen.

3.5T is the limit for a 50mm tow ball. I believe and further increase in towing capacity would require the use of a bigger tow bar and the larger ball.
I think we are unlikely to see that in a Ranger platform.
That’s what F series is for.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-01-2023, 11:02 PM   #378
vixf6

Quote:
I've only done a few thousand kms so far but I'll give some quick thoughts. Mind you I'm no wordsmith. I will be racking up the kms in it later in the month so I might be able to give a more detailed opinion when I get back.

I love the way it drives. It is a great step up from the basic XL Rangers I had previously. The power and ride are great. It should make for a fantastic tourer.

I've only done a little offroading in it so far which included a steep rocky climb and some fast blasts on the flats. On the climb I threw it into Rock drive mode and it didn't break a sweat climbing it. It was actually ridiculous how easy it did it. One the flats, I threw it in Baja mode. The acceleration on the loose dirt is awesome. No slip, just go. It feels almost as quick on the dirt as it does on the tar. The suspension just takes everything you throw at it. The faster you go, the better it gets. I've also done some mild corrugations which you hardly even feel.

The air conditioning is great. Much much much better than the three PX series Rangers I've had.

The sound of the exhaust - This I'm on the fence on. I can't decide if I like it. Sometimes I think it sounds great. Others I'm not sure. I've overtaken I few of the boys when leaving work and from their reports they say it sounds good from their cars as they are left as a shrinking dot in my mirror.

The stereo is great for a standard ute. As are the seats. I find them very comfortable and supportive. Plus they look great.

If you like talking to random people get a bright orange Raptor. I quite often get random people coming up to me asking me about it.

Now some downsides. I haven't checked the fuel economy since I first got it but I notice the dash is now showing my average since I got it to be 15.8L/100km. I filled up the other day and the range was 400km with the full tank. When you use that right foot, you will be visiting the servo often.

There are a number of electronic glitches. The main being Android Auto not connecting occasionally but I think I've mentioned that before. I've filled up with fuel then the next day it tells me I don't have enough fuel to make it to the next servo. I've had other errors pop up including advanced front lighting features unavailable and an electronic park brake error. There have been a couple of others as well but I can't think of what they were.

There are times you can really feel it's size. I think it is mainly due to the front guards and bonnet being squared up with this design giving the impression that it is bigger than it actually is.

Memory seats would be great. My wife is about a foot shorter than me so it can be annoying changing the seating position constantly.

I've already made a warranty claim. I kept getting an airbag light on the dash. Took it in for the 3000km check up and to check out the light (at 1500km). Got the call, yep all good to go. Jump in it and start it up at the dealers and the light is still on. WTF. Anyway, they sorted it all out so no dramas there. Turns out it was a faulty clock spring which I had to go back for. I also got them to check out a rattle/knock at the rear while they had it. I thought it was the tailgate. When I pick it up they tell me it was the rear numberplate which they remounted. Off I go. Still making the noise on the way home. So in I go when the clock spring arrives and get them to have another go. Get the call. The noise was the tailgate strut I added. Funny that it was making the noise before I fitted that. So when I go in I explain that and could they have another look. Old mate was at lunch so I had to wait. So I removed the strut (which takes a whole 1 minute. Maybe they could have done it to confirm that was the issue) while I wait. Noise is still there. Old mate comes back from lunch so out we go and have a look. There are a couple of rubber pads that sit against tailgate. So he tightens them to place more pressure on the tailgate and sends me on my way. Guess what. Noise is still there. So that is ongoing. I'm beginning to think it's not the tailgate at all and maybe a knock in the suspension somewhere.

I also notice on the Ford Pass app that there is a recall due on it.
While on the Ford Pass app, it can be frustratingly slow to use when remote starting to turn the air con on before you get in. Sometimes it doesn't work. It would be great if you could remote start it from the key instead of having to use the app.

Overall I'm very happy with it. There are a couple of minor issues that do take the shine of the new car ownership but nothing major. I'm a member of a few Raptor groups and it seems the tech issues are common so that is something for Ford to work on. Maybe an update down the track will get rid of the glitches.

Is it worth $90k? Well it is well worth the $10k premium over a Wildtrak in my opinion. Even just the engine would be for me. Let alone the suspension, tyres, locking front diff, the exhaust, the much better instrument cluster instead of the Commodore 64 looking one in the lower models etc etc.
As for $90k. Well are any of these dual cabs really worth that? I guess when you look around for something comparable then yes it is definitely worth the price of admission. I was thinking of getting a DT RAM but the Laramies are about $45-50k more than what I paid for this and really all I would get over the Raptor is some more space, V8 and more towing capacity (which I don't need).
Thanks, good to hear first hand instead of facebook/twitter crap. Electronic glitches were 100% going to happen its a generational tech step up for Ford. Hopefully software updates will help. Fuel use, well unless you drive like miss daisy with a tailwind a 300kw truck is gonna drink a bit more than that ridiculous claim of 11.5 or something. Things you’ve mentioned are not deal breakers for us. We have March price rise to cancel but we’re likely going ahead, as long as there’s not too many limp mode type reports.
2016 R8 Clubsport Lsa sold for beer money
F6 sold AND SAD ABOUT IT
vixf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2023, 11:16 PM   #379
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Ghia View Post
3.5T is the limit for a 50mm tow ball. I believe and further increase in towing capacity would require the use of a bigger tow bar and the larger ball.
I think we are unlikely to see that in a Ranger platform.
That’s what F series is for.
The larger towbar is exactly what the engineers in Thailand have been working on...

Old 17-01-2023, 12:03 AM   #380
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixf6 View Post
Thanks, good to hear first hand instead of facebook/twitter crap. Electronic glitches were 100% going to happen its a generational tech step up for Ford. Hopefully software updates will help. Fuel use, well unless you drive like miss daisy with a tailwind a 300kw truck is gonna drink a bit more than that ridiculous claim of 11.5 or something. Things you’ve mentioned are not deal breakers for us. We have March price rise to cancel but we’re likely going ahead, as long as there’s not too many limp mode type reports.
Yeah nothing has been a deal breaker for me. I'm still very happy with it. Generally a restart will get rid of any errors.
Old 17-01-2023, 08:01 AM   #381
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
The larger towbar is exactly what the engineers in Thailand have been working on...
You mean the Australian Engineers ?
Fordman1 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2023, 09:52 AM   #382
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Where are the towbars made?

Old 17-01-2023, 11:03 AM   #383
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Agreed, and I've seen how big a 3.5T Van is, there must be a very small market to need anything bigger.
Towing capacity is something the Journos get hung up on, when in reality most people wouldn't tow anything over 2T
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2023, 12:27 PM   #384
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Over the air updates will, in theory, make any little setting adjustments much easier. But i'm under the impression that they aren't up and running yet?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2023, 12:31 PM   #385
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Where are the towbars made?
The ENGINEERS don’t make the cars / towbars

You understand the difference between engineering and manufacturing don’t you ?

Engineering is done in AUSTRALIA.
Fordman1 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2023, 12:37 PM   #386
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper Martini View Post
Agreed, and I've seen how big a 3.5T Van is, there must be a very small market to need anything bigger.
Towing capacity is something the Journos get hung up on, when in reality most people wouldn't tow anything over 2T
Pretty much. Only the biggest vans would exceed that. Boats are probably a different market though. You will see in the recently released images Ford sent out about durability testing the F150 that they were using a near 4.5 T boat and trailer combo to tow test with.

Most probably wouldn't even go over 2.5, but all the clowns that tried to make jokes about the Raptors towing ability don't seem to get that. Maxx Performance towed their E series race car to Heathcoate behind their new Raptor, and I was thinking that might exceed it's towing rating until you add up say a 1500kg Falcon and say maybe a 500kg trailer doesn't even get that close to 2.5. Plenty of headroom to tow all but the bigger size vans. Would have no issue towing trailers, camper vans and the small to medium vans on the market.
Old 09-03-2023, 01:07 PM   #387
Gumboot

So I have a question. My Ranger Raptor is apparently nearly here. 10 month wait.

I have a singed contract for a drive away price minus my deposit from last year.

The dealer has contacted me and said they want to send me a new contract with updated prices to sign. Said it was for things like rego has gone up from 2022 when i signed the first contract to 2023 etc . I confirmed no changes to the initially agreed vehicle price. I haven't seen the actual changes yet.

So is this normal, or do I insist on the initial contract. I just have not had that happen to me before.

Your advice please.

Cheers
Gumboot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2023, 01:23 PM   #388
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Pretty much. Only the biggest vans would exceed that. Boats are probably a different market though. You will see in the recently released images Ford sent out about durability testing the F150 that they were using a near 4.5 T boat and trailer combo to tow test with.

Most probably wouldn't even go over 2.5, but all the clowns that tried to make jokes about the Raptors towing ability don't seem to get that. Maxx Performance towed their E series race car to Heathcoate behind their new Raptor, and I was thinking that might exceed it's towing rating until you add up say a 1500kg Falcon and say maybe a 500kg trailer doesn't even get that close to 2.5. Plenty of headroom to tow all but the bigger size vans. Would have no issue towing trailers, camper vans and the small to medium vans on the market.
Mate was going to go for the Wildtrack V6, I said don't bother and go the Raptor.

He said it only has 2500kg towing capacity.

So I asked did he plan on buying and towing a 3500kg caravan.

No

So who cares? Buy the Raptor.

Why people are so concerned about what something is rated to compared to what they intend to use it for is hilarious.

99.9% of the time you're driving it with just you in it so buy for the 99.9% not the 0.1% The Raptor is going to be way better to drive on the road than the V6 diesel.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-03-2023, 02:14 PM   #389
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Mate was going to go for the Wildtrack V6, I said don't bother and go the Raptor.

He said it only has 2500kg towing capacity.

So I asked did he plan on buying and towing a 3500kg caravan.

No

So who cares? Buy the Raptor.

Why people are so concerned about what something is rated to compared to what they intend to use it for is hilarious.

99.9% of the time you're driving it with just you in it so buy for the 99.9% not the 0.1% The Raptor is going to be way better to drive on the road than the V6 diesel.
Yep. Unless you plan on towing something heavy, who cares? And if you want to, then choose the Wildtrak option. 2.5 tonnes is still a decent tow rating. Falcons could only tow 2.3T I think, and no one ever said they didn't make great tow vehicles.
Old 09-03-2023, 04:00 PM   #390
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

I get it all the time about the towing capacity of the Raptor. I only have a 10x6 box trailer rated to 2T and did have a camper trailer rated to 1.8T. So the Raptors rating is fine by me.

I am thinking of buying a caravan but something along the lines of a Jayco Crosstrak. Again, the Raptor should be fine. I have no intention of towing 3.5T so why would that even come into my buying decision.
2 users like this post: