Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-09-2009, 09:02 PM   #361
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
I think may well have done this already.... many times.
i should have wrote "hand's"....then.
BIG hand's
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2009, 09:08 PM   #362
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
i should have wrote "hand's"....then.
BIG hand's
touche'

Old 09-09-2009, 09:10 PM   #363
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So HSV have now put launch control in the E2, and claim its an Australian first?.......to paraphrase the words from a Black-eyed Peas song:

"Launch control is so two-thousand and eight,
HSV is just two-thousand and late!" :

"Torque is the new horsepower"
Chilliman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2009, 09:26 PM   #364
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilliman
So HSV have now put launch control in the E2, and claim its an Australian first?.......to paraphrase the words from a Black-eyed Peas song:

"Launch control is so two-thousand and eight,
HSV is just two-thousand and late!" :
I think they're claiming Bi modal exhaust too. Obviously HSV and the XR8 havent ben introduced.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2009, 09:56 PM   #365
GTP-03

Its not that bad, they've over done it with the blackouts, perhaps the bonnet should lose the two chrome strips at the front, and the bumper should be all red and just leave the two front grilles black, it would look "less busy" as some people have said.
But on the upside yeah its garbage, just buy a GT!!!
Old 09-09-2009, 10:10 PM   #366
b2tf
not here much anymore

Definitely not a fan of E2, looks as though they have taken every idea they came up with and put them all together. A good try and to a point I wish FPV would do this (try to offer more) but the execution has failed in my opinion.

That said though, I reckon the W427 is one hell of a tough looking car so maybe my opinion is a bit shot.

The one thing that sticks out when reading the specs though is that yet again HSV goes that little bit further to give buyers the ability to tick option boxes. FPV could do so much more, even if it was something as simple as a trim change (Cashmere that so many have asked for), and there is plenty within the Ford parts bin that would go straight in. HSV have always had the upper hand on this and it seems this is destined to continue.

And the wheels on the GTS, bloody hell, who thought of those?!
Old 09-09-2009, 10:20 PM   #367
4.0i_SiX
SiX_iN_a_RoW

That white thing looks like a storm trooper. These are the ugliest cars I have seen for a long time. I wasnt a fan of the Raccoon eyes from FPV but this is on a completely new level of disgusting. Herpes Simplex Virus indeed
Old 09-09-2009, 10:35 PM   #368
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Definitely not a fan of E2, looks as though they have taken every idea they came up with and put them all together. A good try and to a point I wish FPV would do this (try to offer more) but the execution has failed in my opinion.

That said though, I reckon the W427 is one hell of a tough looking car so maybe my opinion is a bit shot.

The one thing that sticks out when reading the specs though is that yet again HSV goes that little bit further to give buyers the ability to tick option boxes. FPV could do so much more, even if it was something as simple as a trim change (Cashmere that so many have asked for), and there is plenty within the Ford parts bin that would go straight in. HSV have always had the upper hand on this and it seems this is destined to continue.

And the wheels on the GTS, bloody hell, who thought of those?!
I agree 100%, atleast they are being proactive. With HSV its "what would you like", with FPV its "this is what you get".
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2009, 10:45 PM   #369
WASP
Whipple Induced

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2
Hi Colville.

Don’t suppose you have seen the pictures of E1 and E2 together on the ls1 site. E2 while busy in some eyes does make E1 look dated and old.
It does make a visual statement and continues the separation from the donor product.
Their (HSV) desire to create a product that has distinctive looks and separates it from the donor car has to be admired. Unfortunately in this price range there is little movement to carry out that execution. Day time running lights as a feature is desirable but funding pressure means their execution or placement leaves a bit to be desired. Are HSV worse off for trying? I doubt it. Once people see these cars in the metal I think there will be a swing of opinion.

For whatever reason most new models really seem to be colour sensitive. That GTS picture for me just hits home that the car is just slightly overdone. The black out front treatment on the GTS could have stopped at the bumper line or the introduced frontal crease line and still achieved a strong visual statement.

Some goes for the rear. E1 was already a pretty standout car in terms of separation. Unique tail lights, Ferrari diffuser and quad pipes. The E2 takes one step too far with updating the central theme but introducing the distraction of the rear bumper cut outs.
The strength of the package however lies underneath the skin in its engineering and feature set. We should be thanking HSV for this car because its pricing certainly won’t be giving FPV any free kicks.
That’s a win for us.

A bigger question now will be how FPV react to the problem child in the line up. Will they stick to the same power across the line up of V8 cars or will they too try to take the GT-P to a level where it can fight on an equal footing to the GTS. Can’t wait to see the reaction.
Hi Ian,

Yes I did see the comparison which is both interesting and slightly deceptive at the same time. The digitally enhanced image of the E1 does look dated compared to the E2 for sure, but I think that in the flesh the difference will be less profound (BA2 – BF1 FPV for example). I was not a fan of the VE HSV’s when launched from the media photo’s but in the flesh and on the road, particularly in GTS and Senator form their presence and stance is very striking, and in my opinion also very admirable.

I have been an admirer of the VE GTS, especially from the rear. In E2 form I am concerned that they have ruined it which is probably good from a FPV perspective. As for the front, well it is overdone for sure, yet I personally find the statement it makes is still desirable. They have incorporated almost all the elements I have enjoyed on many muscle and performance cars since the dawn of time. Whether or not this works in the flesh remains to be seen but I am expecting it to, or at least be something that will grow on me as long as the car packs the punch that its presentation promises.

That leads me to wonder how this particular HSV will be viewed when FPV produce a potentially more conservative looking, but supercharged rocket with more power and torque than the GTS has now. Will it suddenly make this extraverted E2 look ridiculous over night?

I remember a few years ago when the VY1 HSV was launched with its 260kw LS1 V8. The presentation of the car was extravagant and polarising for the time, and made the new BA GT appear somewhat underdone as expressed by many on this very forum. All the GT range had to make a unique and strong visual statement was a well integrated, but suitable mild body kit, a bonnet bulge shared with the XR8 and a set of GT stripes.

What mattered more in the eyes of the consumer however (Ford and Holden fans alike) was the milder looking car packed a 290kw quad cam V8, while the other only had 260. Both actually has similar performance but this did little to ease the ego's of HSV fans and owners. In more recent times the VE HSV managed to turn the tables. The 307 and 317 VE HSV’s held the runs on the board for power and speed, while our beloved FPV GT’s had the louder styling cues and classic muscle car features without the mumbo to match the arguably plainer looking HSV.

This latest HSV is obscenely in your face and I can’t see HSV making any apologies for it any time soon. Apart from the ridiculous styling from the rear I like what I see so far despite feeling like the previous models styling was more appropriate for the performance this car currently delivers. The Shelby SuperSnake is also obscene in it's styling, but who's to argue when it's packing 725HP of V8 anger. I am interested if the E2 can ‘walk the talk’ and not look overdressed when compared to the new high tech blown GT next year, or possibly even the F6E FPV have now.

Colville

Last edited by WASP; 09-09-2009 at 10:56 PM.
WASP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2009, 10:53 PM   #370
HSE2

Excellent read Colville
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2009, 12:38 AM   #371
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Well said Colville (CDAA).

Fact is that we are seeing as much as anything a departure in the kind of approach HSV and FPV are going to take. One is very focussed on making the statement. Be it styling, or bespoke projects (W427) or even marketing, HSV is 'out there'. Good on them really, because we need that sort of approch to push FPV along.

Conversely, FPV are very much understated. Many view this is as a sign of inferiority, 'where is my GT-HO' people scream. No concept cars, insufficient options list, cost cutting (not those wheels again....) etc. etc. But, i think it is more so conservatism then being out and out gunshy. Sure it has been harder for FPV with no export market, lack of global parts bin (till now perhaps...) etc. but it really is a case of 'doing it right' or 'don't even try'. On the other hand, the package as a whole the FPV have delivered with FG (or even cars like the F6X) have always come accross as more than the sum of their parts. Very solidy engineered cars, particulary the engines, something FPV seems genuinely proud of.

This E2 range is very much not my cup of tea, i go for the somewhat more constrained styling....purposeful yes, ostentatious, no. Truth is i'm not now, or any time soon, in the market for cars like this anyway. I trust others on here are, and as such when FG2 launches they will put their money where their mouth is and make a decision. This launch has just served to wet the apetite of many as to just what FPV can deliver. If the rumours are right (and logic says they are), a GT-H SC Coyote versus a E2 GTS could be one hell of a fight. Talk about aussie performance cars...will we ever have it better? Bring on 2010 I say!!

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2009, 02:56 AM   #372
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

It's a good "effort" on a whole. The styling... well everybody else has covered that part of it well. I like russellw's explanation but then, they didn't need to try that hard... I mean.... "can you smile a little, darling... no... not that much!"

It needs an ****-bra. Hideous.

Styling won't effect sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bundy
I've just worked out why all the disaproval on the Ls1 site on this one...

no place to but he chevy badge on the front grill
Bwahahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman88
Ideally FPV will release FG 2 with new engines, a rejigged line up and minor styling alterations (wheels wheels wheels LOL). I don't know if you would get many HSV buyers coming over to FPV because of the styling direction chosen (i hihgly doubt it) but given the very bad reception E2 is getting at LS1 you never know.
Don't worry, FG2 is getting worked on around the clock!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman88
A SC coyote GT-H may have a pretty good chance.
I think even the base GT may have a lot to say about that.

Quote:
It’s an interesting read but I wouldn't recommend it, but it does highlight the power forums hold these days.
You bet. A US forum that recently leaked big info on next year's Stang had it's database hacked into a week later, destroying all info going back 10 months. Coincidence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noddy
ff members weren't all that favorable on the front of the w427. Would you now say it looks alot better than the new clubbly frontends?
http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/Ar...rticleID=49259
You mean Wozza?

Old 10-09-2009, 03:13 AM   #373
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Warning: The following post may contain one particular picture that is disturbing to most viewers.

Welcome to the family.

Old 10-09-2009, 04:00 AM   #374
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think this is an exact opposite case to the VX - VY transition, instead of squaring and flattening out a round body they are trying to round and streamline a very solid square shape. It clashes too much with the overall design of the car, instead of being smoothly integrated it stands out like dogs balls.

I can see why HSV have done what they have, but the VE shape was never a sleek and curved car and it never will be. This is why everything clashes and looks cluttered. Plus they really did just put too much of everything on it (and left the sides of the car surprisingly bland).

I've never been a huge fan of the VE (especially the rear end, makes a spoiler look so pointless) but the series 1 definitely had a tough 'slab on wheels' look and it worked well with the sharp and straight kits HSV used. Although the E2 dates the previous series it is just a clash of styling ideas trying to modernise an outdated body shape.

I do applaud HSV though for putting so much effort into their cars, giving the customers an absolute heap of options and getting people genuinely excited to see what they come up with next. I hope FPV finally realise just how important this is for their lineup next year.

One last thing; those GTS wheels. You have to be joking? 3 spoke wheels have failed in the past and they certainly won't work now, they are ridiculously busy looking. It looks like something my son would do... If I had a son.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:40 AM   #375
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
It’s an interesting read but I wouldn't recommend it, but it does highlight the power forums hold these days.
Wouldn't recommend it? It was hilarious.

Trust "keepleft"...
Quote:
Originally Posted by keepleft View Post
Needs a rear fog:-)

Happy 2003 everyone.

One of the funnier posts...
Quote:
Originally Posted by black_knight View Post
Well, what can I say...

1. Scoop photos that HSV said were "concepts only" - nice try jack-holes
2. Is it April first? No? Damn
3. The marketing hype, teaser videos, pre-release letter, press releases AND brochure are the greatest heap of steaming dung I have EVER read/seen in my life. If you are wanting a laugh, please read the brocuhure, J.Peterman (Seinfeld) would be proud.
4. HSV has obviously been eating its own marketing Crunchy Crappola for breakfast, because they must not have marketed tested these looks at all- they know best of course (how could we be wrong)?
5. Can someone please tell me where the "multi-million dollar investment in performance imrpovements" went? Quincy - please explain.
6. No interior changes - not their fault, really - no Holden changes (I'm going easy on them with this one seeing as the dash/wheel/seats etc are HSV custom)
7. 8kw increase at the VERY top end for GTS. 8kw, really, 8kw, are you serious? 8kw...Christ almighty.
8. Selected golden nuggets of from press release/brochure:

"Before the finished product is allowed to leave our premises, every detail is checked by a uniquely precise instrument – the human eye." - Also known as the worlds most IMPRECISE instrument - morons.
HSV design chief Julian Quincey said E2 sketch work began in early 2007, just months after the E Series range began recording record sales figures for HSV.

“Our customers were telling HSV they loved the differentiation the new model delivered, giving us the starting point for designing the next generation,” he said.

“We needed a new identity that would both excite the passionate HSV buyer and equally one that could be picked out by the non car enthusiast. This meant that our overall front and rear graphics had to be substantially changed from the original E series and ideally also look lower, wider and more sporty,” said Mr Quincey.
- So we decided to mess with the design everyone loved.
“We decided to make a major investment in new product, features and performance, in a time of unprecedented economic turmoil. The new E2 range is yet another opportunity to demonstrate the engineering and design excellence of HSV.” - Don't break your arms patting yourselves onthe back just yet friendo.
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2009, 10:05 AM   #376
Noddy
Mercury Silver T3

Chopped pic without bonnet scoops

2017 Magnetic Mustang

What to hear a tuff T3?
Click here
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y30...ent=Movie2.mp4
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2009, 10:30 AM   #377
HSE2

Does that front bar protrude forward as much as the pictures suggest?
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
Old 10-09-2009, 10:34 AM   #378
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
Warning: The following post may contain one particular picture that is disturbing to most viewers.

You have picked the one picture of the rear I actually don't mind.

From that angle, in that colour, it doesn't look that bad!

Ok shoot me but.........
Old 10-09-2009, 10:48 AM   #379
divine_afg
Extreme_Custom

This Design might grow on "Some" of us - Just like AU
However as they say, First impressions Last.
divine_afg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2009, 11:04 AM   #380
Transfiguring R

Good photoshop, Noddy. Looks a lot better without the bonnet scoops. Still a pretty busy front bar.
Transfiguring R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2009, 12:06 PM   #381
XR8putts

Stolen from LS1
XR8putts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2009, 12:07 PM   #382
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Rear of the car looks good, neater than first series.
The front looks too tacky for the car it is. The front scoops are over the top and so are the grill highlights, without them and the plough angled front bar it actually looks decent.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:12 PM   #383
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree with the "too much going on" brigade. Just too busy at the front and rear and the curved surfaces don't integrate too good with the flat more angular surfaces. Even though they might be very "old" I think the FPV wheels are much better than the HSV's, especially the GTS wheels. Based on the looks of these HSV's,.....I just don't want one.
GTP534 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2009, 12:40 PM   #384
JutroXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Does that front bar protrude forward as much as the pictures suggest?
yes. It looks bizarre as it flares out on all angles. You'd accept a forward protrusion, but a sideways one???????

FGX XR8, Auto, Black.

WG Fiesta ST Manual, Black.
JutroXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2009, 12:45 PM   #385
HO 3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its interesting HSV havent played the 327 link with the past angle.....me thinks this may have been done on purpose, after all we have grown up and wear big boy pants now......are you paying attention FPV?

Cheers Mick
HO 3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2009, 01:51 PM   #386
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Creating a new body kit for a vehicle which will essentially have a 12 month model cycle is a big call. I guess with no engine changes to the majority of the range they felt a ‘new look’ was required to create an incentive for E1 buyers to upgrade. As mentioned elsewhere I like the way HSV have allowed personalisation to their vehicles, via new features and options (Come on FPV!!). Having said that, I think what FPV have done with the GS is closer to where the market is at currently. I can’t wait to see what they both come up with in a year or so (i.e. FGII Vs F1).

I also like the way the conversation regarding this upgrade is more intelligent on FF as compared to LS1 (no wonder so many Holden lovers hang out here).
Old 10-09-2009, 02:04 PM   #387
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Couple of things I noticed, the front is far too busy and nice job Noddy on the photoshop, looks a whole lot better. The front bar is indeed protruding in a triangular sort of shape which looks a little like an over the top body kit, and those fairy lights look so out of place, it makes it look cheap....er.
I'd suggest they colour code the fairy light surround (the white bit) so only the clear LED's are protruding from a part of the car that matches the bar. Then it would only look white and garish when the buggers are turned on.
I'd also lose the scoops; too yanky and ****y.
Also lose the blackouts - it just looks hideous.
Finally, the black mesh on the rear would be a real treat to clean wouldn't it?

Quote: