Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 06-03-2015, 10:54 AM   #331
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Default Re: The drug "Ice"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr smith View Post
Death penalty for dealers and severe punishment for repeat offenders. They have made their choice to step out of line with the majority. Soft approach doesn't work.
And how many users do you personally know ?
Old 06-03-2015, 11:58 AM   #332
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan View Post
announced yesterday, Victorian Government reveals $45.5m plan to tackle ice problem.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-0...roblem/6282258
Just another useless labor "task force" that sounds cool in the news and might buy a few more votes but achieves nothing in reality. They really are a one trick pony.
Rapid Systems Intercooler & Battery Relocation - ID 1000 Injectors - Process West Surge Tank - Venom 100 Cell Bolt On Cat - XForce 3.5 inch Catback - Plazmaman 4 inch Turboside Intake - Crow HD Valve Springs - Glowshift Gauges (Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Boost, Volt) - Malwood Opt 5 - XR50 Interior - FG2 Limited Ed 19's - Nitto Invo's

Dash_XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2015, 12:07 PM   #333
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash_XR View Post
Just another useless labor "task force" that sounds cool in the news and might buy a few more votes but achieves nothing in reality. They really are a one trick pony.
Better than Nap Time's BS cover everything up and do nothing tactics.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2015, 12:17 PM   #334
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Better than Nap Time's BS cover everything up and do nothing tactics.
Not really but I didn't say he was any better.

Throwing money at people that don't want help is pointless.
Rapid Systems Intercooler & Battery Relocation - ID 1000 Injectors - Process West Surge Tank - Venom 100 Cell Bolt On Cat - XForce 3.5 inch Catback - Plazmaman 4 inch Turboside Intake - Crow HD Valve Springs - Glowshift Gauges (Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Boost, Volt) - Malwood Opt 5 - XR50 Interior - FG2 Limited Ed 19's - Nitto Invo's

Old 06-03-2015, 12:50 PM   #335
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Death penalty for dealers and severe punishment for repeat offenders. They have made their choice to step out of line with the majority. Soft approach doesn't work.
100% agree with first bit...
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-03-2015, 02:44 PM   #336
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
Two good mates have totally run off the rails.
Both were married, two kids, great jobs and all the toys. One even had his own business valued aver $2M. All gone.
One lives with his mum in a unit in country Vic and the other is a lost cause who knows where.

Some facts:
Their families are devastated.
Both had dabbled with dope, and speed which lead to Ice.
They were adults.
They put their own enjoyment above those who were relying on them to be adults.

I fully believe that a strong deterrent would have seen them go down a different path. They both know there is basically no punishment if you get caught.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2015, 03:15 PM   #337
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Both had dabbled with dope, and speed which lead to Ice.
Not always.

Quote:
I fully believe that a strong deterrent would have seen them go down a different path. They both know there is basically no punishment if you get caught.
The problem there is that most users don't look that far ahead... usually no further than tomorrow in most cases.

But did they want to quit and how much help did you give them and their family?
Old 06-03-2015, 03:22 PM   #338
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If weed leads to ice then Americas in trouble, within 5 years or so anyone over 21 will be able to buy it over the counter legally. I guess they'll all be ice addicts in a few years..

Old 06-03-2015, 03:51 PM   #339
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
I know 2. Both immediate family members. One dead by his own hand 7 years ago (RIP). The other is now bipolar as a result of sustained marijuana use and has permanent brain damage from the various drugs tried since she was 15 (now 33).

My sister has been drug free (including the meds for her bipolar) for 3 years and has a 2 year old child that was conceived while on drugs, but is probably her saviour in that she is her reason to give the drugs away (she still had enough mental capacity to not be totally selfish). Her brain has started to find other ways to process info, so she is better every month/year, but will more than likely be on DSP for ever (I'm no doctor though, so don't quote me on that). She hopes one day to get a job, and is studying at TAFE to make it happen.

It wasn't just Ice, or just ketamine, or just dope, or just ecstasy, or coke etc for either of them - it was one thing leads to another, one drug is good, so the next one they try might be better, etc (no ever tells what the negatives are). My brother actually gave up grog because it was supposedly more harmful than the party drugs he preferred - that backfired since it was the demons that presented themselves to him when he was awake (caused by the drugs) that made him take his life - at least that's what he told us in the note he left.

Some say that one drug doesn't lead to another, but I would argue that it may, can and does - perhaps unknowingly. For those that prefer "recreational drugs" to alcohol, for example, they will chase the high and euphoria by whatever is available, and if someone tells them that "this one is better than e", then why wouldn't they give it a go? What harm could it cause? And there is your escalation right there - Ice mixed with whatever else is in the same pill, and the taker is none the wiser (they were simply told it was better than e). Some survive, some die, and some are left addicted, twisted and a drain on society.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-03-2015, 03:53 PM   #340
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
If weed leads to ice then Americas in trouble, within 5 years or so anyone over 21 will be able to buy it over the counter legally. I guess they'll all be ice addicts in a few years..
While weed may not directly lead to Ice - it shows a predisposition to partake of illegal drugs (yes, legal in some US states - but that just says more about their perverted society than anything else they do), and allows a foot in the door to harder and more damaging drugs.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

Old 06-03-2015, 04:20 PM   #341
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC View Post
While weed may not directly lead to Ice - it shows a predisposition to partake of illegal drugs (yes, legal in some US states - but that just says more about their perverted society than anything else they do), and allows a foot in the door to harder and more damaging drugs.
Only because the same person sells them, if you were buying it from a pharmacy they arn't going to sell you ICE are they? Its like alchohol not everyone that has a sip of beer when they are a kid become an alcholic only a very very small minority do.

And as for no one explaining the dangers to them? Allot of these people are grown adults for Christ sake they should be able to think for themselves and take responsibility for there actions. You know it is going to ruin your life so don't do it.

Old 06-03-2015, 05:21 PM   #342
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Only because the same person sells them, if you were buying it from a pharmacy they arn't going to sell you ICE are they? Its like alchohol not everyone that has a sip of beer when they are a kid become an alcholic only a very very small minority do.

And as for no one explaining the dangers to them? Allot of these people are grown adults for Christ sake they should be able to think for themselves and take responsibility for there actions. You know it is going to ruin your life so don't do it.
I didn't mean explaining the general dangers of taking drugs; I meant the possible effects of one drug different (but "Better") than a previously tried drug....But, yes I get that adults should make the correct decisions. And Ice should NEVER be sold in a pharmacy - pseudoephedrine is already and is limited for a reason.....

Old 06-03-2015, 05:46 PM   #343
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Not always.

Its the exposure to dealers in which to get the drugs. I'll also say any ice user over 35 has tried dope and speed. Maybe not the younger ones.

The problem there is that most users don't look that far ahead... usually no further than tomorrow in most cases.

But did they want to quit and how much help did you give them and their family?
Initially they loved it, but once they were hooked they wanted off. Problem is that they have been given many, many chances and lots of help from friends but in the end they crapped on those trying to help.
My take now is they should be removed from society and locked in mental institution as I see them as being a danger to society (similar to a drink driver).
Old 06-03-2015, 05:47 PM   #344
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
This will just make the states a bigger nutcase society. Proabition does work.
Old 06-03-2015, 06:30 PM   #345
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC View Post
I didn't mean explaining the general dangers of taking drugs; I meant the possible effects of one drug different (but "Better") than a previously tried drug....But, yes I get that adults should make the correct decisions. And Ice should NEVER be sold in a pharmacy - pseudoephedrine is already and is limited for a reason.....
Nah not ice but there needs to be a few safe regulated alternatives for people who don't drink. There is allot safer stuff out there then alcohol and people should have that option if they wish.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:16 PM   #346
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
This will just make the states a bigger nutcase society. Proabition does work.
Prohibition didn't work too well in the USA, and either did their recent war on drugs, all it did was fill prisons well past their capacity, build heaps more, and now they're at a stage where its no longer cost effective to build more prisons and that they can't put them in jail.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2015, 07:22 PM   #347
revcore
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Back when I was living in Mildura a police man was telling me of an event that happened...
A guy in his late teens was invited to a party run by the Rebels MC and while he was there was offered some ice. He accepted and tried it and was hooked on it after a couple of days. Soon after he was approached by a high ranking member of the Rebels and was asked if he would become a ice dealer for them. Again he accepted.
Anyway, He ended up using more than he was selling and accumulated a huge debt which he couldn't repay.
Soon after he was threatened by the Rebels that if he didn't pay up they would do a run through smashing whoever and whatever was in the house.
He couldn't handle the thought of his family being beaten and subsequently took his own life.
This just highlights one of the many dangers involved with ice and it's epidemic nationwide.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:24 PM   #348
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Prohibition didn't work too well in the USA, and either did their recent war on drugs, all it did was fill prisons well past their capacity, build heaps more, and now they're at a stage where its no longer cost effective to build more prisons and that they can't put them in jail.
Exactly, if something doesn't work for decades you need to change your approach, sometimes drastically or even multiple times untill you get a result.

Like you say once you got more criminals than tax payers then what do you do?

Old 06-03-2015, 07:57 PM   #349
The Monty
Just slidin'

I just wonder, after years and years of being completely anti drug, that legalization of all drugs would be a better road for Australia to take.
No MORE people will take it. Those that want to take it will still take it.
At least with regulation, you take away the ebb and flow of a drug addict. Its always available and is always of a high quality grade. The government could reap the benefits of the tax that would be made and would be able to use part of that money to give counselling/other programs to attempt to get these people off these drugs.
And please, before anyone berates me, understand that I am in a position to comment on things like this, and have had a lot of friends and family members commit suicide, loose everything, have mental illness and even committed murder because of drugs.
Our way of dealing with drugs will just never work. We will never win and without legalization we will only spend more every single day.
3 users like this post:
Old 06-03-2015, 08:53 PM   #350
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just don't understand in this age of information (even those from bad background) why some people go down this road. The generations before did not have anywhere near the resources we do today.

In my opinion long term and regular drug use ends one of three ways and perhaps a combination of all of them. A poor life (often starting from a good one to begin with), prison, or death.

Of course there are exceptions to the rule but the same is true of abusing alcohol which is regulated and taxed.

I don't think we solve everything by regulating drugs other than perhaps removing a great deal of the criminal element.

We're at the stage where we have to think. Are we fighting a losing battle and do we continue to try to stop it or make it regulated along with boosting resources in preventing those from taking it up to begin with and helping those kick it.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2015, 08:53 PM   #351
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty View Post
I just wonder, after years and years of being completely anti drug, that legalization of all drugs would be a better road for Australia to take.
At least with regulation, you take away the ebb and flow of a drug addict. Its always available and is always of a high quality grade. The government could reap the benefits of the tax that would be made and would be able to use part of that money to give counselling/other programs to attempt to get these people off these drugs.
And please, before anyone berates me, understand that I am in a position to comment on things like this, and have had a lot of friends and family members commit suicide, loose everything, have mental illness and even committed murder because of drugs.
Our way of dealing with drugs will just never work. We will never win and without legalization we will only spend more every single day.
I hear and understand the basis for your reasoning but totally oppose it. Making drugs acceptable = more people willing to try them and more space cadets behind the wheel of a car...
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-03-2015, 09:53 PM   #352
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
feed em proper stuff that sits them on their ***.. ??

lol
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-03-2015, 09:54 PM   #353
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
What legalizing crack, meth heroin etc? That's ridiculous. Also there would be no tax benefits as none of the users would have jobs.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:57 PM   #354
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
What legalizing crack, meth heroin etc? That's ridiculous. Also there would be no tax benefits as none of the users would have jobs.
they had no jerbs to start with
Old 06-03-2015, 10:00 PM   #355
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lol, South Park?

Old 06-03-2015, 10:10 PM   #356
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

street level rats tail neck tatt weedy little thug bags anger is more often than not fed by the angry rages of scoring poop and the ensuing angery rages of scoring poop / crime / scoring more poop

give em proper stuff that parks them up
Old 06-03-2015, 10:31 PM   #357
The Monty
Just slidin'

Quote:
Like I said, up until recently I was 100000% against it.

It wont attract any more users than there are. If people want it now, they can get it in minutes. The chances of getting caught are extremely slim and if they do get caught, the penalties are laughable.

These drug addicts already have no job. They have no intention of ever having a job. If you took centrelink off them, they still wouldnt work, just commit more crime.

If they were able to go to a doctor and get it legally at a cheaper rate then the street, and have the quality of pharmaceutical grade there would be a big flow on effect.

Firstly, overdoses would drop as it is now metered so our public health bill will go down. Secondly, there is always going to be a revenue market for the government. Tax the maker, tax the seller, tax the user. Use that tax to put these people through programs to help them.

I get to deal with a lot of drug users and a lot of drug addicts. If you asked any drug addict if they WANT to be addicted they would say no. With metering through doctors, they could come off drugs very very slowly, even if it took years. They long for help, but just dont know how to ask, and how to start.

Like I said, its only a thought. I dont mean for a total legalisation where people can walk around puffing shard on the way to work.

Also, in relation to drug driving. Stats released by QPS the other day revealed that 1 in 13 saliva tests are positive for drugs. And they only test for Cannabis, MDMA and Methylamphetamine. So if you think these people arent already on the street doing it anyway, your head is in the sand.

Drugs are everywhere. They are EVERYWHERE and growing fast. The way we are trying to control it now is simply not working. Just look at Portugal. 13 years ago, general possession was made legal. Thats possession of all drugs. In the first few years, reported drug use went up. This was people who finally admit there drug use as it is now legal. But in the last 8 years, reported drug use has plumetted, overdoses, aids infections and other related illness has dramatically reduced. The burden on the health system has reduced. The amount of money that used to be used enforcing drug laws, court fees and imprisonment costs have fallen.

Im not saying its the perfect answer, but its definitely an option.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:33 PM   #358
Ross 1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Like I said, up until recently I was 100000% against it.

It wont attract any more users than there are. If people want it now, they can get it in minutes. The chances of getting caught are extremely slim and if they do get caught, the penalties are laughable.

These drug addicts already have no job. They have no intention of ever having a job. If you took centrelink off them, they still wouldnt work, just commit more crime.

If they were able to go to a doctor and get it legally at a cheaper rate then the street, and have the quality of pharmaceutical grade there would be a big flow on effect.

Firstly, overdoses would drop as it is now metered so our public health bill will go down. Secondly, there is always going to be a revenue market for the government. Tax the maker, tax the seller, tax the user. Use that tax to put these people through programs to help them.

I get to deal with a lot of drug users and a lot of drug addicts. If you asked any drug addict if they WANT to be addicted they would say no. With metering through doctors, they could come off drugs very very slowly, even if it took years. They long for help, but just dont know how to ask, and how to start.

Like I said, its only a thought. I dont mean for a total legalisation where people can walk around puffing shard on the way to work.

Also, in relation to drug driving. Stats released by QPS the other day revealed that 1 in 13 saliva tests are positive for drugs. And they only test for Cannabis, MDMA and Methylamphetamine. So if you think these people arent already on the street doing it anyway, your head is in the sand.

Drugs are everywhere. They are EVERYWHERE and growing fast. The way we are trying to control it now is simply not working. Just look at Portugal. 13 years ago, general possession was made legal. Thats possession of all drugs. In the first few years, reported drug use went up. This was people who finally admit there drug use as it is now legal. But in the last 8 years, reported drug use has plumetted, overdoses, aids infections and other related illness has dramatically reduced. The burden on the health system has reduced. The amount of money that used to be used enforcing drug laws, court fees and imprisonment costs have fallen.

Im not saying its the perfect answer, but its definitely an option.
In post 200 of this thread I put in some details of the work done in Portugal that is very similar to what you are writing about. Google , Portugal drug reform, lot of good starting points
Ross 1 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2015, 10:18 AM   #359
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Just had a read of this interesting article & comments -

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-it-right.html

Lowering drug use's social impact & cost's associated to a state's economy seems achievable but which way to go, a combination of both soft & hard approaches perhaps?

cheer's, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2015, 04:22 PM   #360
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

EDDIE MCGUIRE done an opinion piece on drugs in Melbourne's newspaper Herald Sun.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/opi...-1227248334179

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post