Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 11-02-2009, 02:45 PM   #331
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

does that include blaming the green's for not letting the government backburn to prevent this sort of thing?

anyway - props to Tripple M for raising over 2 million dollars in ONE day, yesterday and a big good on ya to all those who donated to any charity
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2009, 02:54 PM   #332
rodderz

There was a clown who rang 3AW on Monday saying that the govt should of let cattle graze through the area and the therefore wouldnt of been so bad.

Last I heard cattle dont eat Eucalypts, and most cattle that were in the grassy areas still got overtaken by flames. They may keep weeds down but also spread them too. I dont think anything could of stopped the fire last weekend. We have cool temps now yet it's still out of control.
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2009, 02:58 PM   #333
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
Last I heard cattle dont eat Eucalypts, and most cattle that were in the grassy areas still got overtaken by flames. They may keep weeds down but also spread them too. I dont think anything could of stopped the fire last weekend. We have cool temps now yet it's still out of control.
We need rain as even with cool temps the grass and leaves are still bone dry which is a wonderful fuel for the fire.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:02 PM   #334
xr8 utey
FORD DRIVERS WANTED!

Thumbs up v8 utes support victorian bush fire appeal

V8 Utes Support Victorian Bushfire Appeal

Australian V8 Ute Racing has joined in with many around the country to help out with the victims of the Victorian Bushfires.

Already there are 181 people pronounced dead and more than 750 homes have been destroyed.

V8 Utes have put a link on their website www.v8utes.com.au linking to the Red Cross Victoria Bushfire Donations page, giving people easy access to the site.
To get the site up quickly Zac Lovett from Ink Design kindly donated his time to produce a website banner to link to the Red Cross page.

Director of SPHERIX, Category Manager of the V8 Utes, spokesman Bill West believes if everyone donates just a little it will help the need greatly.

“If everyone donates all or at least a little of the $950 that the government has promised them it will be a tremendous help to the victims in re-building their homes and getting themselves back on their feet,” said West.

To give families immediate assistance with clothing, toys and other household items Wollongong Radio Station i98FM are urging all in the area to donate some of their unwanted bits and pieces laying around the house to the Bushfire Appeal.

WPR Racing has donated their V8 Ute Racing Pantech to deliver the goods to Victoria and their Marketing Manager Jaimie Dyer is glad to be involved in such a worthy cause.

“We are just happy to be helping the victims out in some way, the guys at i98FM have thrown it all together and we are glad to assist in any way we can,” said Dyer.

The WPR Transporter will be driven by i98FM’s host Marty who will be accompanied by his co-host Erica.

The Pantech will lead the convoy of Matthew Murrell’s Freightliner and John Noble in a K&C Childs B-Double to Victoria.

Pick-up points are at the following locations:

• Murrells Freight in Port Kembla
• MJ Rowles locations around the Illawarra - for a full list go to www.mjrowles.com.au.
• Wollongong Mini Storage on Rivulet Crescent in Albion Park Rail
• South Coast Hire at 2/51 Rowlins Road in Gerringong.

The truck leaves Monday, 16th February and in the Wollongong/Illawarra area in NSW and want to find out more about the drive visit http://www.i98fm.com.au/co-vicfires.html.

You can also donate money at any National Australia or Bendigo Bank and the Red Cross are also taking Blood Donations (call 13 14 95 or click here to register).

Anyone concerned about family or friends in fire areas should call the Country Fire Authority (CFA) on 1800 727 077.

General information on fires and fire locations is available by calling the Victorian Bushfire Information Line on 1800 240 667.

- Ends -
Old 11-02-2009, 05:10 PM   #335
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd like to think that the V8 Supercars have something in the works too.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2009, 05:21 PM   #336
Fab
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

According to www.news.com.au, arsonists lit fresh fires overnight.
I hope these bastards get tortured when caught! :
Fab is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2009, 05:54 PM   #337
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab
According to www.news.com.au, arsonists lit fresh fires overnight.
I hope these bastards get tortured when caught! :
I reckon these scum should be named and shamed publicly.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2009, 06:09 PM   #338
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hear on Sunrise this more V8Supercars donated $100,000 to the appeal. And I was proud to hear that the company I work for also chipped in, even though they too have been caught up in this disaster.
Melz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2009, 06:15 PM   #339
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

The red cross has raised 44.5 million dollars.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:22 PM   #340
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Amazing pictures I received today via email. Feel free to delete the link mods if you feel inapropriate, but I thought these were worth putting up.

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/200..._australi.html
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2009, 06:26 PM   #341
escapin

2gb here in sydney have had a massive respone, i cant remember the golf course but the guy who owned it donated it for use for a charity day, the owner putting everything on, with a possilbe 144 spots at $150 a head it was 2/3 full after about 2 hours. all proceds going to the reilef fund.
there is just so much being given and donated is great to see and hear all the good stories which i think is what some people need to hear as there has been so much bad news in the last few days.

prayers go out to all who are affected
escapin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2009, 06:34 PM   #342
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Amazing pictures Eamon

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2009, 07:31 PM   #343
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

To those who want to lend a hand please look here
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11249610
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2009, 08:24 PM   #344
RACINGdork
bf xr6t + 351 xe esp weee

having grown up in flowerdale, its pretty tragic whats happened in the last week. im sitting here watching aca from the rubble one of my very close childhood friends house .
RACINGdork is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2009, 09:03 PM   #345
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Visy Board has made a $100,000 donation, as well as providing boxes and logistics.
The staff were given the opportunity to donate annual leave days for a cash donation to the fund which will be matched dollar for dollar by the company.
My wife has donated 2 days.
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2009, 10:12 PM   #346
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra
Amazing pictures I received today via email. Feel free to delete the link mods if you feel inapropriate, but I thought these were worth putting up.

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/200..._australi.html
Those pictures are amazing, its unbelievable to see the alloy wheels melted and run like a stream, not sure what temperature alloy melts, but I can imagine it would be a high temperature.
ford man xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2009, 10:14 PM   #347
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looking at the comments from those pictures, some people are just pricks, like this knob head:
"208.I. I feel sorry for the people who lost their lives and there homes but man, that looks pretty sweet.

Anthony Pittarelli"
ford man xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2009, 11:33 PM   #348
SBR_1
soon to be a McDonald :D

What sort of people can say that. Like what sort of people can go looting someone's home who has lost family or friends.

I mean iv done my bit and donated what i can but even after doing it still didnt like it was enough there was just something that didnt feel like it was going to do much when the cost of lives is priceless....
Old 12-02-2009, 12:15 AM   #349
punktured

I've come back from Kinglake today and I can't even recognise the place anymore. I remember it as a beautiful green forest and now it's just a baron wasteland. But I couldn't believe the effort of everyone out there working hard to restore power, make roads safe etc. It brought a smile to my face.

The company I work for, Road Runner Electrics, have been over there this evening with generators to power up some facilities, and have another 30 getting delivered, thanks to Coates Hire, tomorrow. On top of that we are helping those who have portable generators and want them hooked up to their house. We will be situated at the Kinglake CFA tomorrow and will have crews traveling around the place, so if anyone needs a hand please feel free to head to the CFA station and ask for Road Runner, we are more than happy to help out.

Mark.
punktured is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2009, 09:39 AM   #350
rodderz

Here's some interesting reading. A guy on LS1 got the description off Wiki, it paints a good representation of the scale of fire of what people had to contend with, and just how good the conditions were for this to happen

Quote:
A firestorm is a conflagration which attains such intensity that it creates and sustains its own wind system. It is most commonly a natural phenomenon

A firestorm is created as a result of the stack effect as the heat of the original fire draws in more and more of the surrounding air. This draft can be quickly increased if a low level jet stream exists over or near the fire, or when an atmospheric temperature inversion cap is pierced by it. As the updraft mushrooms, strong gusty winds develop around the fire, directed inward. This would seem to prevent the firestorm from spreading on the wind, but the tremendous turbulence also created causes the strong surface inflow winds to change direction erratically. This wind shear is capable of producing small tornado- or dust devil-like circulations called fire whirls which can also dart around erratically, damage or destroy houses and buildings, and quickly spread the fire to areas outside the central area of the fire.

The greater draft of a firestorm draws in greater quantities of oxygen which significantly increases combustion, thereby also substantially increasing the production of heat. The intense heat of a firestorm manifests largely as radiated heat (infrared radiation) which ignites flammable material at a distance ahead of the fire itself.

Besides the enormous ash cloud produced by a firestorm, under the right conditions, it can also induce condensation, forming a pyrocumulus cloud or "fire cloud". A large pyrocumulus can produce lightning, which can set off further fires. Apart from forest fires, pyrocumulus clouds can also be produced by volcanic eruptions.

In Australia, the prevalence of eucalyptus trees that have oil in their leaves results in forest fires that are noted for their extremely tall and intense flame front. Hence the bush fires appear more as a fire-storm than a simple forest fire.

Firestorms often appear in thalwegs or crests or on plateaus. Warning signs include:

* Decreased visibility;
* Decreased sound conduction;
* Breathing difficulties (firefighters do not use SCBA on wildfires);
* Roasting (pyrolysis) of the leaves by the radiated heat.

Many plants and trees secrete volatile resins and oils that serve a variety of puposes, such as hemp resins that protect the plant from drying out.[1] However, increased temperatures cause an increase in the vapor pressure of these compounds. At 170 °C (338 °F), the rosemary plant emits 55 times more terpene than at 50 °C (122 °F). A temperature of 170 °C is considered a critical temperature, at which the emission of volatile compounds can lead to an explosive mix with the air and thus to a flash over. Eucalyptus oil is highly flammable and trees have been known to explode.[2][3] In cases of drought and humidity less than 30%, chances of ignition are even greater. Additionally, fires often contain only partially burned pyrolysis gases, which can mix with the plant oils, creating an even more explosive mixture.

The topography has a complex influence. A closed relief, such as a small valley or a dry river, concentrates the heat and thus the emission of VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds), especially for rosemary, rockrose or Aleppo Pine. Contrarily, the kermes oak emits more VOC on an open relief such as plain or plateau.

Other factors that influence the occurrence of a firestorm are the natural heat, especially above 35 °C in the shadow, a humidity less than 30% and no strong wind. These conditions are met in climates such as Mediterranean forests.

The firestorms can be classified in several types:

* Thermal bubble: at the bottom of a small valley rich in combustible materials (plants), the combustible gas forms a bubble that cannot mix with the air because its temperature is too high; this bubble moves randomly, pushed by the wind.
* Fire carpet: in a deep and opened small valley, the whole valley catches fire.
* Confinement by a layer of cold air: a strong and cold wind prevents the pyrolysis gas from rising, which leads to the explosive situation.
* Pyrolysis of the opposite slope: the fire progresses down a slope, but the radiated heat pyrolyses the plants on the facing slope, which catches fire seemingly spontaneously.
* Bottom of a small valley: the gases accumulate in the bed of a dry river; when the fire comes, it completes the fire triangle and the bottom of the valley catches fire.
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2009, 11:56 AM   #351
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

I just heard a rumour that 3 looters were found and now they are in hospital after being bashed by the fire victims................

This is just a rumour - we will see if the news reports on this

Apparently the 3 Looters are in Hopsital under Police Gaurd....................

If its true they got what they deserve..............and i wouldnt like to be in their shoes if there pictures get out as emotions are running high atm and it would not be safe for them on the streets anymore..........or in jail now that I think about it

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2009, 12:03 PM   #352
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Justice!

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2009, 12:06 PM   #353
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just found out my friend lost her house at Callingee, after not hearing from her for a week. She and her family are ok, and her horses miraculously made it through. The only problem now is the fencing was destroyed. Does anyone know where we can get hold of temporary fencing around the area?
Melz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2009, 12:07 PM   #354
Full Noise
Life begins at 40
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter
Justice!
Even better. Looks like a bit of “old fashion’ justice.
Full Noise is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2009, 12:18 PM   #355
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

The Suncorp Group (INSURANCE COMPANY)

Has pledged $500,000 to the Premier’s 2009 Victorian Bushfire Appeal Fund, as well as $100,000 to the Premier’s Disaster Relief Appeal for flood victims.

ALLIANZ
HOW MANY CLAIMS HAVE WE RECEIVED?
To date, Allianz has received more than 520 claims, including approximately
54 total loss residential property claims and 43 total loss vehicle claims.

Claims reported to date total more than $54million.

Allianz continues to make emergency payments to customers as a priority, and
so far has paid out more than $550,000.

QBE
Emergency Assistance Payments $20,000 Have been sent

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.

Last edited by Sorted; 12-02-2009 at 12:24 PM.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2009, 12:23 PM   #356
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

turns out that some of the major fires arnt caused by arsonist, with lends to to the tragedy.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2009, 12:48 PM   #357
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melz
Just found out my friend lost her house at Callingee, after not hearing from her for a week. She and her family are ok, and her horses miraculously made it through. The only problem now is the fencing was destroyed. Does anyone know where we can get hold of temporary fencing around the area?
Try google Australian Temporary Fencing.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:58 PM   #358
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.arrowtemporaryfencing.com.au/
http://www.atfhire.com.au/
http://www.temporaryfence.com.au/?gc...FREupAodIy7frA
http://www.temporaryfence.com.au/Con...ion-agents.seo

there is a few just not sure if they are in the area needed

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2009, 01:44 PM   #359
BadMac
I still have both eyes

Bushfire arson suspects arrested

Quote:
Two people have been arrested in relation to deadly Victorian bushfires responsible for at least 15 deaths, a police spokeswoman said.

The two men were arrested between Seymour and Yea, around 20km north of Marysville, a small town of 519 where authorities believe up to 100 people may have perished.

Victoria police Senior constable Sharon Darcy told the Associated Press that detectives had responded to a tip about suspicious behaviour near the town of Yea in relation to the fires and that "two people are assisting police with their inquiries."

Earlier today Victorian Police Chief Commissioner Christine Nixon said there was a strong possibility arsonists were behind the Marysville blaze.

Ms Nixon said part of the concern surrounding the Marysville blaze was that fire and police experts couldn't explain how it began.

Ms Nixon had already confirmed arsonists were responsible for a fire in the Churchill area.
BadMac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2009, 02:03 PM   #360
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Firstly i would like to offer my families heart felt sympathy for the victims of this horrendous situation..this is a time when words just cant say enough though.
I'd also like to sincerely thank all the men and women who have given their time be it trying to contain the fires or in other support/clean up areas.

It's times like this that makes you proud to be an Aussie!!

I have followed the events as many have, unable to believe how devaststing this has become.
I have, however, felt very uneasy about the tactics some of the media has used to get their stories.
I saw a piece the other night on a guy who lost his father and i think his wife when they were engulfed whilst trying to flee. Apparently the son came across the scene after the fire had passed and found his fathers ute.
The reporter asked him what he saw when he looked into the ute, and how he felt..Hello, this guy has just discovered his families burnt remains, how do you think he felt.
Then there was Tony Jones going into a womans tent whilst her 11month old was sleeping and sticking his head in the cot.
Please man, those small tents are about the only piece of dignity that these people have left, how about letting them have some space, we all know what the inside of a tent looks like.
And finally the piece on the elderly couple, seperated during the fire. He was stranded in the crime scene area, she was down the hill in Yea i believe.
No one was allowed in or out of the restricted area, but one network flew her in to see him which i believe would go against the sanctions set in place.
What about the other people who couldn't get in to their loved ones, how would they feel, and all for 5 mins of footage.

Sorry for the rant but i've bit my tongue for long enough on this issue.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post