Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 21-07-2023, 05:20 PM   #1
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Default Re: New to cycling

Looks bloody great Rob, love the colourway! Di2 and lots of carbon also.

I know what you mean with Giants. I know you arent slagging em off. Plenty of folks do thats for sure. One of the best BFYB brands around though imo. Fortunate for me, my Giant didnt cost me Love it though.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-07-2023, 05:23 PM   #2
prydey
Rob

Definitely not slagging off the brand.
Old 22-07-2023, 08:26 AM   #3
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Nice bike. It's strange how bikes have totally lost all the external cabling, giving them that clean look now.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2023, 08:30 AM   #4
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Nice bike. It's strange how bikes have totally lost all the external cabling, giving them that clean look now.
Agreed, but they dont think of the mechanics that work on em. Ive said many a curse word replacing internally routed cables/hoses
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 22-07-2023, 08:39 AM   #5
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
Agreed, but they dont think of the mechanics that work on em. Ive said many a curse word replacing internally routed cables/hoses
True, you look at them and think there's something missing.

It's good the way they've hidden the front fork brake cable though, always the bane of mountain biking, how the front wheel could pick up sticks and jam them between the cable and the fork.

Old 22-07-2023, 09:31 AM   #6
prydey
Rob

Quote:
So this bike was an insurance replacement. My local bike shop just happened to be the agent through whom they went.

When I picked the bike up he commented on similar lines. He gets a fee to assemble the bike but he said it's nowhere near enough for what is involved with these modern bikes. The internal hydraulic hoses took about 2 hours he said. Cockpit is all one piece to make it even harder.

At least with di2 there no cables at all.

This is my first experience with di2 (ultegra) and to be honest it's not overly quicker than my mechanical dura ace. It's just super reliable. No miss shifts. No need for trim functions as it's automatic. Kept nearly changing gears with the front derailleur every time I went up or down the gears on the cassette because I'm used to having to move the front with the mechanical system.

So yeah, they look good but the mechanics hate them. Hopefully it won't need working on much. I'll have to get myself up to speed on di2 and disc brake maintenance.
Old 22-07-2023, 09:56 AM   #7
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Depends, ive never built a BMC, but most of not all bikes ive built. The brake hoses/cables are already installed. Some cheaper bikes you have to install brake callipers and sometimes even attach a cable to the rear mech. Dropper post cables are really the only thing, and even then the outer cable housing is already in the frame.
Electronic shift bikes are super easy to set up shifting wise.
Its moreso having to replace hoses/cables when they are stuffed.
Id imagine possibly your BMC at that higher end has channels inside the carbon frame so slide hose into the frame and its guided to the exit hole at the back. Also road bikes dont have the pivot point like mountain bikes so the hose/cable only goes in the frame once then out.
- Antz Turboside Intake
2 users like this post:
Old 30-07-2023, 06:01 PM   #8
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Local MTB club, combined with a local trail builder co. Have been rebuilding some trails. This particular one is amazing, had a good few runs down it. Super flowy. Now we just need some work on the steep ones and ill be happy.
Starting to get accustomed to this bike, wont be long before it gets sold and something new comes.
Its more so the weight and geometry that took some getting used to.
- Antz Turboside Intake
2 users like this post:
Old 30-07-2023, 06:22 PM   #9
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:

Local MTB club, combined with a local trail builder co. Have been rebuilding some trails. This particular one is amazing, had a good few runs down it. Super flowy. Now we just need some work on the steep ones and ill be happy.
Starting to get accustomed to this bike, wont be long before it gets sold and something new comes.
Its more so the weight and geometry that took some getting used to.
You sure that's a MTbike run and not a bobsled one ?

There's talk of building some new trails around Balmattum regional park, just east of the Hume at Euroa.

Old 18-08-2023, 04:47 PM   #10
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Thought id chuck this in, i know Rok loves his cannondales. Came in for a service.
Man they had/have some strange tech in their bikes

Swapped the AXS off my ebike, to my Norco this week. Ebike possibly gone soon, changing to another one (hoping to get one of the lighter ones with lower Wh battery). Also ordered some new hubs/wheels that i can take bike to bike. DT Swiss EX511s and Hope Pro 5 hubs
- Antz Turboside Intake
3 users like this post:
Old 18-08-2023, 06:03 PM   #11
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
Thought id chuck this in, i know Rok loves his cannondales. Came in for a service.
Man they had/have some strange tech in their bikes

Swapped the AXS off my ebike, to my Norco this week. Ebike possibly gone soon, changing to another one (hoping to get one of the lighter ones with lower Wh battery). Also ordered some new hubs/wheels that i can take bike to bike. DT Swiss EX511s and Hope Pro 5 hubs

i'm sitting here looking at that pic going .. W..T..F
mad2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2023, 05:32 PM   #12
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

So my current ebike is up for sale at work. (good buying, full warranty, first owner etc)
Ive been riding my Norco a bit lately and really enjoying it. I might hold off on getting another ebike for a bit.
Built up some wheels for my Norco (can take em from bike to bike now)
DT Swiss EX511, laced to The new Hope Pro 5 hubs, rear is an ebike hub so stronger (same price as the normal rear pro 5).
Sram GX AXS also.
The bearings in the old front wheel are getting long in the tooth so ill replace them.
I think the BB needs to be replaced also so will probably do that.
But these hubs just roll, and roll and roll and roll
Will keep it for another 12mths and then i might upgrade. This model is getting an upgrade with a high pivot design next year. We'll see

- Antz Turboside Intake
4 users like this post:
Old 06-11-2023, 02:12 AM   #13
John 13

[QUOTE=DJM83;6841156]So my current ebike is up for sale at work. (good buying, full warranty, first owner etc)
Ive been riding my Norco a bit lately and really enjoying it. I might hold off on getting another ebike for a bit.
Built up some wheels for my Norco (can take em from bike to bike now)
DT Swiss EX511, laced to The new Hope Pro 5 hubs, rear is an ebike hub so stronger (same price as the normal rear pro 5).
Sram GX AXS also.
The bearings in the old front wheel are getting long in the tooth so ill replace them .(Severely edited)
I just stumbled on this branch of the FF, what ever is not covered here doesn't matter!
I have a basic interest in cycles. I now use my sons old Chinese Speedwell. Anyway a few years ago, rather than replace rear hub/wheel I machined up a stepped axel to suit industrial ball race bearings which fitted snugly into the hub. Didn't use the cycle thread made do with UNF. Runs incredibly quietly by my standards anyway.
John 13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-10-2023, 04:37 PM   #14
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Loving this thing!
- Antz Turboside Intake
3 users like this post:
Old 05-11-2023, 11:01 PM   #15
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Ok guys, I'm in need of some advice on cleaning/maintenance equipment. My bike (Giant Trance advanced Pro 1 29er, 2019) and I've just purchased a Giant Trance X Advanced Pro 29 2, '22, for my son, I also have my wife's Trance Intrigue Advanced pro 0, I'm looking for recommendations on the best gear to clean the cassette and chain and etc.
Any thoughts ?.

On another note, why is it that I can't get an accurate reading (let alone any reading) when trying to inflate the tyres using my air compressor or Milwaukee air inflator ?, I use the little gold adaptor on the Presta valves but I have no idea on how much pressure is in the tyres, do I need to purchase a foot pump ?, are they the only way to read correct pressures ?.

Cheers.

Last edited by galaxy xr8; 05-11-2023 at 11:06 PM.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2023, 08:46 AM   #16
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8 View Post
Ok guys, I'm in need of some advice on cleaning/maintenance equipment. My bike (Giant Trance advanced Pro 1 29er, 2019) and I've just purchased a Giant Trance X Advanced Pro 29 2, '22, for my son, I also have my wife's Trance Intrigue Advanced pro 0, I'm looking for recommendations on the best gear to clean the cassette and chain and etc.
Any thoughts ?.

On another note, why is it that I can't get an accurate reading (let alone any reading) when trying to inflate the tyres using my air compressor or Milwaukee air inflator ?, I use the little gold adaptor on the Presta valves but I have no idea on how much pressure is in the tyres, do I need to purchase a foot pump ?, are they the only way to read correct pressures ?.

Cheers.
I use good old Kerosene for cleaning the cassettes and chain either with a cheapo paint brush or a flash 'Park" chain cleaning tool.

Give it a short rinse using the paint brush without soaking the axles to much with some clean Kero then dry and lube. Wet lube on the road or dry offroad.

Yes and a foot track pump (I like Silca) is the most accurate way to pump tyres.

Last edited by roKWiz; 06-11-2023 at 08:52 AM.
2 users like this post:
Old 06-11-2023, 08:19 PM   #17
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Any thoughts ?.

Cheers.
As mentioned above, I use SQUIRT lube, which doesn't require cleaning the chain between applications. Just wipe it down and reapply.

If the chain does get dirty and need cleaning I remove it from the bike and shake it in an old milk bottle with turps or metho. Let it dry fully then re fit (quick links are meant to be single use but i re use them) and re lube.

I lube by putting a drop on each link, rather than squirting while rotating the chain.

And yes, use a track pump. I have a topeak joe blow https://www.mtbdirect.com.au/product...oor-pump-black
Old 07-11-2023, 08:08 AM   #18
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
As mentioned above, I use SQUIRT lube, which doesn't require cleaning the chain between applications. Just wipe it down and reapply.

If the chain does get dirty and need cleaning I remove it from the bike and shake it in an old milk bottle with turps or metho. Let it dry fully then re fit (quick links are meant to be single use but i re use them) and re lube.

I lube by putting a drop on each link, rather than squirting while rotating the chain.

And yes, use a track pump. I have a topeak joe blow https://www.mtbdirect.com.au/product...oor-pump-black
Geeze, I had forgotten the old water / milk bottle, shake it up trick.
Works a treat.

Anyone here remember the super expensive Rohloff chains.
They were like jewelry. Swapped between 2 so I would never get them dirty.
Did last well though.

Old 06-11-2023, 08:01 PM   #19
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Thanks mate, any recommendations on brand of lube etc, I think of the top of my head I had the RocknRoll stuff ?, it's up in the shed but I can't remember if this was the stuff I've got or not.
Old 06-11-2023, 08:11 PM   #20
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Thanks mate, any recommendations on brand of lube etc, I think of the top of my head I had the RocknRoll stuff ?, it's up in the shed but I can't remember if this was the stuff I've got or not.
SQUIRT

Water based liquid wax lube. Designed more for off road than on so should suit you perfectly.

Otherwise RocknRoll used to be ok from memory.
Old 06-11-2023, 09:38 PM   #21
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Thanks guys, our bikes get very dusty as we ride off the beaten track (dusty tracks) and mountainous terrain.
Old 07-11-2023, 08:17 AM   #22
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
Any thoughts ?.

Cheers.
Yeah a foot/track pump will be the best way to get a good reading on tyre pressure. Or a decent pressure gauge.
Just be mindful if the bikes are set up tube less, most regular track pumps wont bead a tubeless tyre (ive managed to with my giant pump) although if they are tubeless can top up via the valve if needed without breaking the bead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
We use worth degreaser at work, works pretty well. But another good one i use at home is Muc Off Bio Degreaser. Also a good chain cleaner device is a good idea.

As for lube, another vote for Squirt, we also use this at work. Also another vote for Muc Off dry lube.
- Antz Turboside Intake
2 users like this post:
Old 07-11-2023, 11:21 PM   #23
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Can brake cleaner/degreaser be used on the chain ?.
Old 08-11-2023, 08:24 AM   #24
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
We dont use brake cleaner on drivetrains (wouldnt hurt it i wouldnt think). But yeah no hassles using degreaser, used a few different brands over the years. When using degreaser i try to minimise contact with brake rotors/pads (again not a big issue).
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 08-12-2023, 01:50 PM   #25
prydey
Rob

So back in July i finally picked up my new bike. Those following along would remember I had back surgery in July 2022.

Getting back on thy bike was short lived, possibly mostly due to my own impatience. Thinking that exercise would be good for me I went straight back to commuting 3-4 days a week. Lasted just over 2 weeks before I had to give the bike up again. Just did too much too soon and combined with the constant struggles at work, ended up feeling like back to square one. So last ride outdoors was Aug 14th.

So long story short and after weeks of physio (and some enforced rest a month ago after covid finally got me) I am now keen to get back on the bike. I've done about 10 indoor trainer sessions and pull up ok afterwards, as long as I leave a day or so in between.

Hopefully over the Xmas break I'll find time to get back out for a pootle around. It's too good a bike just to sit collecting dust.
Old 08-12-2023, 01:59 PM   #26
prydey
Rob

Regarding the indoor trainer for those who are interested.

I have a tacx flux 2. A few years back when I first got it I signed up to zwift but then cancelled and changed to fulgaz. Mainly because my wife also had a trainer and you could have 2 members on one account.

I've since gone back to one trainer so cancelled fulgaz and signed up to trainerroad. I'm a bit of a nerdy numbers guy so while there is no virtual world or video to watch, I find the time on trainerroad really good. It's just no nonsense training. Really good with training plans and techniques etc.

Alas, it's also very expensive ($30+/month)...

I came across a relatively new player called mywhoosh. This is essentially the same as zwift and it's free!

Its funded by UAE and has just partnered with UCI for 3 years. It works quite well and I've done 3 rides so far on it.

The only downside is the minimum requirement for your device are quite high. My laptop was too old so wouldn't run it but I can run it off my phone. Just not as good looking at a 5in screen.
Old 17-12-2023, 11:03 AM   #27
prydey
Rob

Finally got back on the bike yesterday. Was great to be outdoors riding again. Took it nice and easy. I don't have a power meter (yet) and lost the crank magnet for the cadence sensor earlier in the year so it was quite liberating to just ride the bike and enjoy the scenery. A few complaints from my back but mostly it was ok. Am sore today but also did a bit of gardening yesterday as well which probably didn't help.

A gratuitous bike pic...

Only noticed after taking the pic that my saddle is a bit nose high. Should be level. Adjusted it once I got home. Need some new bottles too.
Old 11-04-2024, 05:31 PM   #28
kazawaki
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
We dont use brake cleaner on drivetrains (wouldnt hurt it i wouldnt think). But yeah no hassles using degreaser, used a few different brands over the years. When using degreaser i try to minimise contact with brake rotors/pads (again not a big issue).
Degreaser is a big issue if it gets on rotors or pads
Old 11-04-2024, 05:32 PM   #29
kazawaki
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Would you use cheap stuff on your ford ???? chain lube the best is rock and roll google the reviews
Old 11-04-2024, 05:38 PM   #30
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazawaki View Post
Would you use cheap stuff on your ford ???? chain lube the best is rock and roll google the reviews
I don't think there is such a thing as 'the best'...

I've used SQUIRT for years and get very good chain/cassette life