Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-12-2014, 01:16 AM   #271
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: SS vs XR8 and the winner is......

Here's a quote about the 335 kW engines overboost feature from the Car Advice review of the RSPEC:-

"the Maimi produces about 375 kW for around 8 seconds at a time"

I know they can get good end speeds on a single 1/4 mile run under reasonable conditions, so I'd say the overboost can often last longer than 8 seconds.
Also with a period of reduced throttle operation the engine will recover for another burst, but I suspect it won't take too much hot lapping before going off the boil unless the weather is very cool.
So perhaps that goes a long way to explaining the result. The overboost is great for real world driving but not so good for hot lapping.

I've got to say though, the Commodore performs very impressively at the track considering it's power output.

Last edited by 2242100; 24-12-2014 at 01:33 AM.
2242100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2014, 01:31 AM   #272
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancidpunx View Post
4.3s is the quickest I have done.

I think that highlights how a 0-100 time on it's own often doesn't tell very much.
Did the XR8 lose a lot of time in 1st gear because of wheelspin? We just don't know.

By the way I'm not doubting your 4.3 time (I know you've achieved a very good 1/4 mile result at the dragstrip) but I was wondering how you measured it?

Last edited by 2242100; 24-12-2014 at 01:45 AM.
Old 24-12-2014, 01:48 AM   #273
Chopped
as in chopped

Despite the 0-100 times being at the higher end of what has been achieved before, they do reflect the gap between the two cars in acceleration.

The track lap time video showed the commodore to be much more settled through the twisty stuff, it was easily visible. I don't think better tyres would help the XR8, you could see it lurching more and being a little less balanced.

In saying that, the XR8 is the true muscle car out of the two, there are no doubts about that.
The VF SSV is more the complete package and will only get better with the LS3 in it.
(Still won't take the muscle car title off the XR8 though)

Both will be remembered fondly.
Old 24-12-2014, 07:55 AM   #274
1TUFFUTE
Banned

I'll 100%back the guys stating that driver was NOT driving correctly by a country mile. Early and mid corner he's smoking the rear tyres there's a number of times he's doing this. That is WAY too much pedal if your getting the loaded outside tyre SMOKING when you should be concentrating on stability, grip, balance and so on. How on earth these gung-ho drivers (just like so many journos who only believe on foot flat too the floor or nothing) can't drive a car to the CARS limits. NOT the limits of the other car on test!
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-12-2014, 08:46 AM   #275
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE View Post
I'll 100%back the guys stating that driver was NOT driving correctly by a country mile. Early and mid corner he's smoking the rear tyres there's a number of times he's doing this. That is WAY too much pedal if your getting the loaded outside tyre SMOKING when you should be concentrating on stability, grip, balance and so on. How on earth these gung-ho drivers (just like so many journos who only believe on foot flat too the floor or nothing) can't drive a car to the CARS limits. NOT the limits of the other car on test!
Just like a pro drifter! Yep imo you are correct, power down after the apex is a much better method you would think right?

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-12-2014, 10:32 AM   #276
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2242100 View Post
I think that highlights how a 0-100 time on it's own often doesn't tell very much.
Did the XR8 lose a lot of time in 1st gear because of wheelspin? We just don't know.

By the way I'm not doubting your 4.3 time (I know you've achieved a very good 1/4 mile result at the dragstrip) but I was wondering how you measured it?
Theres a video in my build thread bud. Its "only" the 4.43s run but it explains how I did it. Done it a few times since with a mate and his GTS with less fuel in the tank, spare out, different RPMs etc. Launch control really does work. Traction off just fries the tyres through the gears, heaps of fun.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-12-2014, 10:35 AM   #277
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
4.3s is the quickest I have done.
What's your quickest bog standard - out the factory door.
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2014, 11:12 AM   #278
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Done it a few times since with a mate and his GTS with less fuel in the tank, spare out, different RPMs etc. Launch control really does work. Traction off just fries the tyres through the gears, heaps of fun.
Just wondering, a spare is weight over rear tyres, in some ways I thought it would have helped give some traction in rear tyres?

You also got a manual, so many other testers say it is quicker 0-100 with traction off?

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2014, 11:12 AM   #279
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnydep View Post
What's your quickest bog standard - out the factory door.
I have seen 4.3 on more than one occasion. Stock filter, tyres, running 98 with the spare. Going to try again with new rubber in the next 6 months or so. Will be going against my original plan of ditching the dunlops as there is still a tenth or 2 to be had at the track for the stock set up but bettering the 0-100 I think is getting more unlikely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
Just wondering, a spare is weight over rear tyres, in some ways I thought it would have helped give some traction in rear tyres?

You also got a manual, so many other testers say it is quicker 0-100 with traction off?
Mines a ZF Auto. The time we tried the spare out didn't see anything under 4.6 I think.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2014, 12:08 PM   #280
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Is the XR8 using the same Dunslop tyres as the GT was?

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2014, 12:24 PM   #281
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep it sure is, so's the XR6T (although no 275 rears on that).

It was only the other models that got the Michellins.
Sensation FG XR8 290kW NA V8, 6spd Automatic

Current Rides
Octane GTF SC V8, 6spd Manual, Manta 3" X pipes and hotdogs
Starlight Lotus Evora S 258kW SC V6, 6spd Manual
SensationFG8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2014, 07:02 PM   #282
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Theres a video in my build thread bud. Its "only" the 4.43s run but it explains how I did it. Done it a few times since with a mate and his GTS with less fuel in the tank, spare out, different RPMs etc. Launch control really does work. Traction off just fries the tyres through the gears, heaps of fun.
Thanks for that mate.
I'm particularly impressed by the 117 mph (188.28 kmh) end speed that you got, and a point to remember is that the speed at the 400 metre point should actually be about 1 k faster (in a car like yours) than what actually is on the time sheet. That's because dragstrip timing systems average a cars speed over the last 66 feet.

So your Auto's 189k plus 400 metre end speed is way ahead of the approximate 180 kmh 400 metre end speeds that we've seen in Magazine tested Auto XR8's and 335 kw GT's.

Your situation is similar to mine. I got around 180 at 400 metres out of my stock XR6 T Auto at the track, yet published Magazine road tests generally have these cars only getting into the low 170's.
A point also worth noting is that the quality of a cars launch (fast or slow) has a very minimal affect on end speeds (eg 6 tenths slower to 60 kmh will only reduce my cars 400 metre end speed by one third of one killometre (detailed GPS data in my post of 22/12/14. Last ever Ford Falcon-picture and discussion thread).

So it certainly seems to me that the overboost hasn't been working (or barely working) when the magazines have ran their published 400 metre results for these cars.
I can't be sure of the reason, but giving them a hard time finding the best technique, and then running a number of runs without cooldown runs between could be a cause I suspect. I'm thinking that the overboost probably generally isn't working by the time they get everything right.

The feature is great for every day real world driving, but I believe that (unless the weather is very cool) continual 400 metre runs or hot lapping are another thing.

Last edited by 2242100; 24-12-2014 at 07:32 PM.
Old 24-12-2014, 07:08 PM   #283
335POWER
formerly Troy23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensationFG8 View Post
Yep it sure is, so's the XR6T (although no 275 rears on that).

It was only the other models that got the Michellins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Is the XR8 using the same Dunslop tyres as the GT was?
What's the quality like with these tyres?

Mods: Pacemaker competition headers, hi flow cat, x-force cat back exhaust, K&N air filter, Kings SSSL springs, Herrod CAI, Powerbond under drive, XR6T injectors[B]
335POWER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2014, 11:45 PM   #284
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They're rubbish
Sensation FG XR8 290kW NA V8, 6spd Automatic

Current Rides
Octane GTF SC V8, 6spd Manual, Manta 3" X pipes and hotdogs
Starlight Lotus Evora S 258kW SC V6, 6spd Manual
SensationFG8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 24-12-2014, 11:57 PM   #285
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looking at Tyresales.com.au
Tyres on the SSV are nearly double the cost of the XR8 ones, letalone the HSV GTS tyres which are 4x the price.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2014, 11:58 PM   #286
335POWER
formerly Troy23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensationFG8 View Post
They're rubbish

Well once I can I'll be getting Invo's on them

Then fry the factory rubbish!

Mods: Pacemaker competition headers, hi flow cat, x-force cat back exhaust, K&N air filter, Kings SSSL springs, Herrod CAI, Powerbond under drive, XR6T injectors[B]
335POWER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2014, 12:06 AM   #287
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Yeh the stock bridgestones on the SSV are pretty good. 275/35/19

I use nitto invo on the F6. They hook up well in the dry. 285/30/19

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2014, 12:27 PM   #288
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm View Post
Yeh the stock bridgestones on the SSV are pretty good. 275/35/19

I use nitto invo on the F6. They hook up well in the dry. 285/30/19
For once we agree. Used invos on the XR8 and will be putting a set on the GTF as soon as I get the new rims. They are pretty awesome in the wet too which is important for me as the GTF is my daily drive.

255/30 20 and 285/25 20
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2014, 01:33 AM   #289
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2242100 View Post
Thanks for that mate.
I'm particularly impressed by the 117 mph (188.28 kmh) end speed that you got, and a point to remember is that the speed at the 400 metre point should actually be about 1 k faster (in a car like yours) than what actually is on the time sheet. That's because dragstrip timing systems average a cars speed over the last 66 feet.

So your Auto's 189k plus 400 metre end speed is way ahead of the approximate 180 kmh 400 metre end speeds that we've seen in Magazine tested Auto XR8's and 335 kw GT's.

Your situation is similar to mine. I got around 180 at 400 metres out of my stock XR6 T Auto at the track, yet published Magazine road tests generally have these cars only getting into the low 170's.
A point also worth noting is that the quality of a cars launch (fast or slow) has a very minimal affect on end speeds (eg 6 tenths slower to 60 kmh will only reduce my cars 400 metre end speed by one third of one killometre (detailed GPS data in my post of 22/12/14. Last ever Ford Falcon-picture and discussion thread).

So it certainly seems to me that the overboost hasn't been working (or barely working) when the magazines have ran their published 400 metre results for these cars.
I can't be sure of the reason, but giving them a hard time finding the best technique, and then running a number of runs without cooldown runs between could be a cause I suspect. I'm thinking that the overboost probably generally isn't working by the time they get everything right.

The feature is great for every day real world driving, but I believe that (unless the weather is very cool) continual 400 metre runs or hot lapping are another thing.
But then you get VERY reliable results from tests such as the latest GTF vs GTS dyno tests where they tried pretty hard too heat soak the ford to make it drop it's power. Something like 9 back to back dyno runs didn't do jack squat.
My personal opinion from what I've been picking up is that the transient overboost is NOT just some delicate little boost feature. It legitimately keeps the power(boost) up as long as possable. In other words.....good tuning/software setup for the real world useage! Not just some lame 8 sec power spike a lot of very unlearned journos go on about!

Maybe ford should have simply not ever mentioned t overboost....because even the mighty GTS has power cutting software when temps are not ideal!
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2014, 03:40 AM   #290
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
For once we agree. Used invos on the XR8 and will be putting a set on the GTF as soon as I get the new rims. They are pretty awesome in the wet too which is important for me as the GTF is my daily drive.

255/30 20 and 285/25 20
The difference in OD size of those tyres my interfere with the traction control.

Best to stick with 245/35 and 285/30

I dont drive the F6 much in the rain. Its a BA so traction control is useless and no DSC.

Xtreme Ford Tuning

Old 26-12-2014, 09:15 AM   #291
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
The difference in OD size of those tyres my interfere with the traction control.

Best to stick with 245/35 and 285/30

I dont drive the F6 much in the rain. Its a BA so traction control is useless and no DSC.
I knew it wouldn't last long!

Actually it's quite the opposite.

245/35 on a 19 inch rim will have a very similar diameter to 255/30 20 (approx 1% difference). If I was to keep the same aspect ratio in a 20 inch rim, the diameter will increase by 1 inch, increasing the circumference giving a massive change to the dsc system (almost 4%). If I use a 245/30 20 it will be almost the same as the 19's but will not take sufficient load.

Same with the rear. 285/25 20 is a 0.1% difference in circumference when compared to 275/30 19. A 275/30 20 will net a similar ~4% change.

Basically trying to offset the increase in diameter by reducing the sidewall thickness.

Last edited by kypez; 26-12-2014 at 09:42 AM.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2014, 01:16 PM   #292
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Wrong.

Its the difference in the overall diameter between the front and rear tyres. Not all the tyres. Plenty of FG running 245/35 and 275/30 both in 19 and 20 inch. And as the OD of both the front and rear tyres is similar. Traction control is not affected. BUT depending on where the speedo is taken from it may need to be recalibrated as with larger tyres it may be reading slower than you are actually travelling.

What you need to do is keep the front and rear tyres the same OD. Which your suggested tyres arnt.

On a side note can you turn off the traction control but leave the DSC on an FG. Or is it one button so its either all on or off.

Xtreme Ford Tuning

Last edited by arronm; 26-12-2014 at 01:33 PM.
Old 26-12-2014, 03:29 PM   #293
dragons90

255/30 to 285/25 is only 1.5% difference so should be fine
Old 26-12-2014, 07:35 PM   #294
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
On a side note can you turn off the traction control but leave the DSC on an FG. Or is it one button so its either all on or off.
Its either DSC + TC on or DSC + TC off
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2014, 07:38 PM   #295
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Cheers, thought us much but wasnt sure. Thats a shame. Its a great advantage to be able to turn off traction but leave on DSC. It means you can spin the wheels but if it steps out to far the DSC catches it.

Xtreme Ford Tuning

Old 26-12-2014, 07:54 PM   #296
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

From what I have experienced with my FG (not the FGX, yet), there is a portion of slip before the DSC kicks in, enough for a small amount of opposite lock.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2014, 08:16 PM   #297
XBGTFGGTP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Decent tyres make a huge difference to these cars. Unlucky ford kept with Dunflop as the tyres let the car down heaps.

XA GT Manual
XBGT Manual
XC GXL
1982 XE S-Pac V8
2011 F6 Velvet
2011 GT Manual Black/Gold
2020 GT500KR
FG-X Sprint
F150 Shelby
XBGTFGGTP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 27-12-2014, 11:26 AM   #298
HULK_I6T
Banned

One aspect that hasnt been discussed is the look of the cars. Its the number one reason people buy or dont buy a car.

the VF is a one very very good looking car, inside and out, top to bottom.

the fgx to me is average looking. I sort of like the rear end but im not convinced with that long nosed hammer head front end look of the fgx. Ewww.. but the miami motor for most makes up for it. And couldnt they find a different set of wheels for a new model?

Last edited by HULK_I6T; 27-12-2014 at 11:32 AM.
HULK_I6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-12-2014, 11:45 AM   #299
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks are subjective...

Personally I find the VF interior too busy. Dash and door trims are covered in atleast 9 different materials, seats another 6.
Imagine if your lounge room was like that?

I think people assume its stylish because there is so much going on.
Its like they had a table full of materials to design an interior and they said **** it, we'll use everything
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 27-12-2014, 11:53 AM   #300
tapeworm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've never liked the VE/F Commo's they look like huge bloated camry's with pumped wheel arches and no style
tapeworm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post