Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: do you have insurance
NO I cant afford it 82 7.63%
NO insurance wont touch me the driver 22 2.05%
NO insurance dont like my car too many mods etc 35 3.26%
NO i'd rather spend that money at the pub i'm too tight 37 3.44%
YES Id' never drive without some form of insurance 899 83.63%
Voters: 1075. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 06:36 PM   #271
Falcon Girl
"Falcon Unbelievable"

I have full comprehensive insurance... not cheap for a young student but personally, it comes down to peace of mind and knowing that I have insurance should something happen.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:04 PM   #272
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heeno

and judging by what most of you have said about if you can't afford insurance don't get a car, well your basically saying all the single parents out there struggling, who can just afford a car to run their small kids around arn't aloud to have that car if they don't get insurance, hmmm i'd like to see you tell them that!
So do you think it's fair when they write off someone's pride and joy and cannot afford to pay for it, how bad off would they be then when they have to make weekly repayments for the next 75 years to cover the damage.

I dont think people care if it's in your oldies name so long as the other car is covered in the event of an accident. If they had set rates for cumpulsary third party i think it could work.

Last edited by XRQTOR; 11-07-2005 at 08:09 PM.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:36 AM   #273
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
ok what if you WIN a car but cant afford insurance for it? (there could be numerous reasons for not being able to afford it - money, appalling driving history, whatever).
i know in most cases if you were reasonably poor you would sell the car anyway but you would still like to drive it before hand.
If you were to do that, then you would be irresponsible.

Daniel
Old 12-07-2005, 02:45 AM   #274
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRQTOR
So do you think it's fair when they write off someone's pride and joy and cannot afford to pay for it, how bad off would they be then when they have to make weekly repayments for the next 75 years to cover the damage.
I agree with what you said there.

Why should someone have to pay for their own car to be fixed when some ******** whos at fault doesnt have insurance.

Its bad enough when your not at fault that your cars damaged in the first place but then having to make a claim on your own policy because the other ***** doesnt have insurance just makes it worse.

If anyone here can say that its fair that they write off someones car and cant afford to pay for the damage id be very suprised

I can say with guarentee id rather pay insurance whether i ever make a claim or not in my life, than write off a Merc, BMW or porsche etc, and be in huge debt for the rest of my life. I know that would be more expensive than paying insurance.

Last edited by MITCHAY; 12-07-2005 at 02:51 AM.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:17 AM   #275
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
Why should someone have to pay for their own car to be fixed when some ******** whos at fault doesnt have insurance.

Its bad enough when your not at fault that your cars damaged in the first place but then having to make a claim on your own policy because the other ***** doesnt have insurance just makes it worse.

If anyone here can say that its fair that they write off someones car and cant afford to pay for the damage id be very suprised

I can say with guarentee id rather pay insurance whether i ever make a claim or not in my life, than write off a Merc, BMW or porsche etc, and be in huge debt for the rest of my life. I know that would be more expensive than paying insurance.
I agree with you.

IMO - every car on the road sure be insured. It isn't expensive!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
Old 13-07-2005, 04:31 PM   #276
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
I agree with you.

IMO - every car on the road sure be insured. It isn't expensive!
Obviously you don't live in Sydney.
Old 13-07-2005, 05:26 PM   #277
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Well i'll let you know now, to the ones that like to have a go at people for their opinions...i couldn't give a F@$k what you have to say so don't bother.

Anyway i haven't got any insurance what so ever in my name, simply cuz it is to expensive and i need a car to get to work, otherwise i can't get there, which means no job! which means i go on the dole and take YOUR hard earned cash! i still run everything through mums name because it is cheap as **** top cover and my name is down as a driver of the vehical, so i can go out and wreck a 911 TT and walk away with a smile on my face knowing im all sweet! and i will continue to do this untill im 25 and don't get hit with outragous prices, sure i'll start off on a dodgee rating but its better then payin 1600 a year + 8 years(going by when i turned 17)= $12800 wasted just to get a cheap price on insurance.

and judging by what most of you have said about if you can't afford insurance don't get a car, well your basically saying all the single parents out there struggling, who can just afford a car to run their small kids around arn't aloud to have that car if they don't get insurance, hmmm i'd like to see you tell them that!
Ignorance is bliss, ain't it?

Even with my cruddy old 3.9L CFI EA, I still put third party fire and theft on it. How much? $20 bucks a month. Boo hoo, you can go without that extra booze/ciggies/whatever you wanna buy.

With my AU, I put full comp on it with some extra options (Hire car, accommodation). How much? $70 a month (Rating 2). I'm 21. I was put on Rating 3 when I first got full comp (last year) because of my driving experience.

If you can go Pay by the Month, do it. Gives you peace of mind.

I was paranoid driving the AU around without insurance.
Old 13-07-2005, 05:50 PM   #278
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Your not doing bad only paying $70 for a modded AU. I didn't pay much less for a non-modded EL. Adding mods sees the monthly payment skyrocket and I'm rating 1. I had to search damn hard to re-insure the EL for a reasonably amount per month $47pm I think.

My O2 Mazda 5dr Hatch is $67pm.

I would have thought with my rating and age I'd be able to insurer a stock late model car for under $500. I've attempted on the XB but when they see two pages of exact details on the car they soon change their mind about wanting to insure me. They decrease the payout figure to a point thats laughable. So low you couldn't buy a decent rolling chassis. Not bad for a car that owes me (have reicepts) for well over the $30k mark. Insurance is a joke with old modded cars. I've asked insurers to insure me for around $10,000-$15,000 which is where I think is reasonable (less than 50% of $ spent). Best offer so far is $5000 insurance and I've been offered $10,000 to sell the car. Premium? $1250pa pretty bad when you know a decent XB shell is almost priceless. Took me 2 years to find.

Vigil recently stooged a mate. He didn't read the policy. He thought he was on agreed value of either $8000->10,000 for a very clean XB wagon. Payout less excess and buy back was $3500. They had the car insured for $6000 WTF? Not bad for a car that owes more than $10,000->$15,000 rough guestimate. ROFL. I'd dare say it'd be one of the cleanest XB wagons around.

If I could afford it? I'd like to start an insurance company and make loads of $ and payout very little for what a cars worth.

If it ain't stock or your not 29 or above insurance is higway robbery.

Saying everyone should be insured is very narrow minded but I personally think it's correct. I think insurance companies have a duty to insure all cars modded or not, for a reasonable premium and payout figure. Reasonable price being not more than 5-10% of cost of car/build whatever. Reasonable payout figure meaning if you put your paying out $10,000 the insured gets $10,000 and no a $ less @ fault or not.

Am I wrong assuming people insure their cars for an amount that will cover the purchase of a replacement car of the same type when written off?

Tuned by Hallam Performance
Old 13-07-2005, 08:02 PM   #279
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
19 yr old male driving a brand new Ba xr8 MKII in sydney (Capmbelltown) with 1 at fault against my name......$355o a year. No it isn't real expensive considering that'll cover my $6o,ooo car and whatever else i take out and iv'e had 1 at fault accident.

Factor out the cost of my car and thrid party shouldn't be overly expensive.
Old 13-07-2005, 08:47 PM   #280
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRQTOR
19 yr old male driving a brand new Ba xr8 MKII in sydney (Capmbelltown) with 1 at fault against my name......$355o a year. No it isn't real expensive considering that'll cover my $6o,ooo car and whatever else i take out and iv'e had 1 at fault accident.

Factor out the cost of my car and thrid party shouldn't be overly expensive.
Maybe it's a matter of perspective. I consider that very expensive, especially when you compare it to other states. Is the car registered and insured in your name only as it also seems very cheap considering your age, it being a V8 and you've already had 1 at fault.
Old 13-07-2005, 10:09 PM   #281
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Whats funny is some people who buy heaps expensive cars and then about insurance on it. I mean it doesnt take much brains to work out the more expensive the car is, the more it will cost on insurance. And being under 25 will just ad to it in any car not neccessarily modded ones. Lucky for me i dont pay it, my parents do. I still had to pay first years insurance though and i think it was $750-800.

Yes thats a lot of money (in my eyes but not to some people) but id rather pay that instead of potentially being in debt to the tune of 10s of thousands of dollars. Buying the car is the easy bit (yeah might be expensive but once youve paid for it thats it you own it).

Being able to maintain it is the killer on the wallet. If people considered if they would be able to maintain it after buying it then we wouldnt have the problems of uninsured drivers.

At the moment i will keep driving my 4cyl because i know i could afford it if i had to pay it instead of my parents. If i was to get a V8 there is no way in hell id be able to afford it hence why i dont have one.

Simple answer is if you cant afford the insurance dont buy the f**kn car
Old 14-07-2005, 12:08 AM   #282
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Maybe it's a matter of perspective. I consider that very expensive, especially when you compare it to other states. Is the car registered and insured in your name only as it also seems very cheap considering your age, it being a V8 and you've already had 1 at fault.
Yep insured & registered in my name.

Never made a claim on the at fault but told them anyway.

I think it's a fair price considering my age, car, price, location, experience/reccord.
Old 14-07-2005, 11:49 AM   #283
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Rod I don't, so what's it like in NSW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenx
If I could afford it? I'd like to start an insurance company and make loads of $ and payout very little for what a cars worth.
Unfortuneally it is very hard to pay out less than a vehicle is worth. Most people thing there car is worth more than it is!

Quote:
Saying everyone should be insured is very narrow minded but I personally think it's correct. I think insurance companies have a duty to insure all cars modded or not, for a reasonable premium and payout figure. Reasonable price being not more than 5-10% of cost of car/build whatever. Reasonable payout figure meaning if you put your paying out $10,000 the insured gets $10,000 and no a $ less @ fault or not.
Premium is based on more than the vehicle value. It is based more on risk. ie type of vehicle, details of where it's kept and type od driver.
If you live in an area where cars get stolen from alot, then you will pay a higher premium.

Quote:
Am I wrong assuming people insure their cars for an amount that will cover the purchase of a replacement car of the same type when written off?
Sorry that I keep quoting you but you raise good points/questions.

There is a difference between replacement and market value policies. Not everyone goes for replacement cost. Also you don't choose the market value, the insurance company does. If you want to agree to a value, that where you choose an Agreed value policy.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
Old 14-07-2005, 12:02 PM   #284
Heeno
Formally knowen as EBus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUII_SE_Ute
Ignorance is bliss, ain't it?

Even with my cruddy old 3.9L CFI EA, I still put third party fire and theft on it. How much? $20 bucks a month. Boo hoo, you can go without that extra booze/ciggies/whatever you wanna buy.

With my AU, I put full comp on it with some extra options (Hire car, accommodation). How much? $70 a month (Rating 2). I'm 21. I was put on Rating 3 when I first got full comp (last year) because of my driving experience.

If you can go Pay by the Month, do it. Gives you peace of mind.

I was paranoid driving the AU around without insurance.
cars insured under my old girl, so i actually have top cover, get all the benifits and all i pay is 600 a year! better then a few K.

Changes: 5 spd manual
Extractors, 2.5in exhaust
AMG Quake 17's w/ maxxis rubba
Lovelle superlows
Cheap a55 Pod Filter

Bike: CR250R 05 :evil3:
Old 14-07-2005, 12:30 PM   #285
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
...............If it ain't stock or your not 29 or above insurance is higway robbery.

You cant have it both ways, if pressure was put to bear on insurance companies to insure items they saw as a greater risk. Then they would lobby with their considerable might to have such vehicles banned from the roads.. Not something any of us would like to see happen.

As for sharing the risk, many who have made few or no claims are already sharing a disproportionate amounts of the costs.
Old 14-07-2005, 12:35 PM   #286
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats why they call it insurance. Your supposed to be covered for everything. You'll find more people are insured that don't claim which covers the small amount of people that do claim.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
Old 14-07-2005, 02:39 PM   #287
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
cars insured under my old girl, so i actually have top cover, get all the benifits and all i pay is 600 a year! better then a few K.
Oh, you do have insurance. Oh.

Heh. That's good then.
Old 14-07-2005, 03:08 PM   #288
Heeno
Formally knowen as EBus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUII_SE_Ute
Oh, you do have insurance. Oh.

Heh. That's good then.
yea sorry i should of explained that before

Lovelle superlows
Cheap a55 Pod Filter

Old 14-07-2005, 03:29 PM   #289
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The only problem with that idea is you aren't acruing an insurance rating which means sooner or later you'll have to start at rating 6 ie:high premium!

Old 14-07-2005, 03:41 PM   #290
Heeno
Formally knowen as EBus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
The only problem with that idea is you aren't acruing an insurance rating which means sooner or later you'll have to start at rating 6 ie:high premium!
yea i know i realise that and when that time comes ( when im 25) it will be a hell of alot cheaper starting out, then if i was to start now and pay extremely high amounts of money for insurance. and right now $600 for top cover, for a 19yo is a hell of alot better then payin 2-3k. thats just the way i look at it.

Lovelle superlows
Cheap a55 Pod Filter

Old 14-07-2005, 06:55 PM   #291
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
Rod I don't, so what's it like in NSW?
Bloody expensive.

I've seen others complain about having to pay $800pa for a GT in other states when I pay $1800 for an XR8 in Sydney.

When I'm thinking of getting a new car, I shop for insurance before I shop for a car. I had a VQ Statesman about 7 years ago now and the renewal for my premium came in at $7000 after it was stolen that period.

If an 18yr male old wanted to insure a TE50 in my suburb, it would cost ~$11,000pa.

While I agree with your point that all drivers should have insurance (even if it is third party) it's not neccessarily cheap. It depends on where you live.
Old 14-07-2005, 10:11 PM   #292
347Stroker
Banned

The way I see it is that if you dont have insurance, it reinforces an old saying,

JUST GOES TO SHOW YOU DONT NEED A LONG NECK TO BE A GOOSE.....
Old 18-08-2005, 10:53 PM   #293
EL_futuraistic

I cant seriously believe how many ppl either dont have insurance, or think its a good idea not too.

I used to work with a few guys who also thought it was a good idea not to pay insurance, "saving them money"..........If you have so much money that u can afford to pay out for a written off C55 Mercedes or Porsche 911 turbo, then u have enough money and sense to pay $800 a year to save you $300,000 in the long run.

I will join the linch mob in saying "IF U CANT AFFORD THE INSURANCE, U CANT AFFORD THE CAR SO GET OFF OUR ROADS"
Old 18-08-2005, 11:07 PM   #294
GT290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL_futuraistic
I cant seriously believe how many ppl either dont have insurance, or think its a good idea not too.

I used to work with a few guys who also thought it was a good idea not to pay insurance, "saving them money"..........If you have so much money that u can afford to pay out for a written off C55 Mercedes or Porsche 911 turbo, then u have enough money and sense to pay $800 a year to save you $300,000 in the long run.

I will join the linch mob in saying "IF U CANT AFFORD THE INSURANCE, U CANT AFFORD THE CAR SO GET OFF OUR ROADS"
I second that.
Old 19-08-2005, 01:00 PM   #295
Electric
F6 and AU Fairmont

I bought a 3 year old Nissan Pulsar for $2200 a few years ago from a bloke at work.

He could not afford to repair the minor front damage it had sustained, when hit an old Dato, that then spun over the median strip and totalled an oncoming brand new Magna.

The bloke was uninsured and had to pay $3k for the Dato and another $34k for the Magna, so had no money to fix his girlfiends Pulsar, so I bought it for what the pannel beater offered him because he needed the money.

That was almost 10 years ago, with the money he has now, he drives a 1970's Landcruiser.

I too will join the linch mob in saying "IF U CANT AFFORD THE INSURANCE, U CANT AFFORD THE CAR SO GET OFF OUR ROADS"

Last edited by Electric; 19-08-2005 at 10:18 PM.
Old 19-08-2005, 04:35 PM   #296
gozza

i know the importance of insurance
crashed my dads outback into a parked laser..took out a fence and slammed the outback into a tree warping the chassis....2 written off vehicles and property damage to an uninsured 17 y/o equals major pain....thankfully i was insured to drive it...still had a 2k excess tho..but ended in smiles cos the payout was 10k more than the trading in price he was gonna get for a h6
Old 19-08-2005, 06:02 PM   #297
Matto_84
97 EL Futura 5 speed

Im aged nearly 21. For my EL which is relatively stock on a rating 2 I cant get anything Less on Full comp for about $1700.. In the last 3 years of driving I have only had one very minor accident which was paid in cash and I have never made a claim. Insurance is a , and simply im not gonner cut my premium down and have to pay $2000 on a excess if I have a major accident. So I have been forced onto 3rd party fire and theft.. which only costs $325..
Old 19-08-2005, 10:08 PM   #298
matto76

Never be without it any insurance - full comp for me! Especially after a crap heap datto without insurance a few yrs ago decided to change into the right lane when I was already in it and pushed me up onto the medium strip after totalling my left front guard.

Old 19-08-2005, 10:11 PM   #299
matto76

Sounds like dattos are prang magnets, hey Electric!!??

Old 19-08-2005, 10:17 PM   #300
Electric
F6 and AU Fairmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by matto76
Sounds like dattos are prang magnets, hey Electric!!??

Naah must be all smashed by now.
Closed Thread