Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 01-08-2010, 10:52 PM   #271
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWENTY B
took my 1st proper pics thisarvo with the i4, what do you all think?
First, I love the BF MKII, I too have a soft spot for those! As for the iPhone 4 camera, it's bloody good for what it is hey, especially low light pictures hey. Here a snap I took of my Fiesta today with it (resized, but you get the point) and I'm very impressed with the phone camera.

Old 02-08-2010, 03:03 PM   #272
blownv8au
Pro Street Au Ute

can anyone tell me how much the 32g are selling for outright. Thanks.
blownv8au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2010, 03:19 PM   #273
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always keen to get on board and help others along the way 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blownv8au
can anyone tell me how much the 32g are selling for outright. Thanks.
32gb = $999
Old 02-08-2010, 05:40 PM   #274
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote V8
32gb = $999
My 32gb was $888 thru voda.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:49 PM   #275
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Did you buy outright Henri?
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2010, 06:39 PM   #276
Grechie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
My 32gb was $888 thru voda.
Was it a craig lowndes special?

I work for a apple reseller and these thing oh boy did they sell like hot cakes
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 - 255/35/19 - 275/35/19
Shockworks Coilovers
PITLANE AUTOMOTIVE & PERFORMANCE
Grechie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2010, 09:02 PM   #277
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

Thanks to those who spent some time writing some first impressions/feedback on the phones, muchly appreciated.
It helped me to decide to buy one over the HTC stuff that Iv had before and have much preferred in the past.
This was a big descision for me as I personally dont like Apple gear very much.

One of my best mates used to sell Ipods thru a big retailer, and they had a horrificly high amount of returns, DOA, software issues, battery problems etc..
I know quite a few people with Iphone3's and 3GS's, and the horror stories and things Iv both heard and seen myself happening to such an expensive phone turned me away from getting one. Then when I read of Apples attitude and handelling of this reception issue, I thought oh.. here we go again, not another buggy peice of junk..
Kinda reminds me of Microsoft stuff, releasin junk stuff so they keep people upgrading forever..
I Never liked Apple computers either, so this will be a big punt for me. Thanks guys.

Next mission....To actually find someone who has stock of them for Vodafone....

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2010, 09:08 PM   #278
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny
Thanks to those who spent some time writing some first impressions/feedback on the phones, muchly appreciated.
It helped me to decide to buy one over the HTC stuff that Iv had before and have much preferred in the past.
This was a big descision for me as I personally dont like Apple gear very much.

One of my best mates used to sell Ipods thru a big retailer, and they had a horrificly high amount of returns, DOA, software issues, battery problems etc..
I know quite a few people with Iphone3's and 3GS's, and the horror stories and things Iv both heard and seen myself happening to such an expensive phone turned me away from getting one. Then when I read of Apples attitude and handelling of this reception issue, I thought oh.. here we go again, not another buggy peice of junk..
Kinda reminds me of Microsoft stuff, releasin junk stuff so they keep people upgrading forever..
I Never liked Apple computers either, so this will be a big punt for me. Thanks guys.

Next mission....To actually find someone who has stock of them for Vodafone....
In was in the same boat with my 3GS Donny, never been a fan of Apple stuff and heard all the bad stories (Still do) got it (3GS) after only using one for about 10mins couldnt be happier iPhones are fantastic you wont regret it for a first time user IMO
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 02-08-2010, 09:19 PM   #279
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
In was in the same boat with my 3GS Donny, never been a fan of Apple stuff and heard all the bad stories (Still do) got it (3GS) after only using one for about 10mins couldnt be happier iPhones are fantastic you wont regret it for a first time user IMO
I am an Apple convert to. Even with the bad stories (and everyone seems to have those!), since owning Apple any time I have had a problem they have been there to assist. And if it was hardware, then they quickly exchanged. Very impressed with their after sales backup.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:58 PM   #280
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always keen to get on board and help others along the way 

For those who want to the iPhone 4 jailbrake has gone live.....

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/01/o...hone-dev-team/
Old 02-08-2010, 11:12 PM   #281
TWENTY B
Au Addict

i can't get it to load, have the same problem as they do in the video, slide to unlock, then does nothing.
i'll try again tomorrow
Old 02-08-2010, 11:35 PM   #282
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Anyone paired one up and used it with FG bluetooth yet?
Work are offering to get me one but not sure, Wanna know if the bluetooth will work or not.
GTpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2010, 12:22 AM   #283
Sprint347
Tickford

From a quick play this evening I can say it's definetly worth the upgrade over the 'plain' 3G.

The camera isn't bad, but not as good as I had hoped. Samsung HD Icon is better.

Feels heavier than the 3G, and I prefer the way the 3G sits in your pocket with it's 'round' shape. Not a big deal.

Number hasn't ported yet so I can't trial the reception issue.

Otherwise it's a neat phone, I've used the HTC Desire and I'd still prefer the iPhone. I wouldn't bother upgrading a 3GS to the 4, but 3G to 4 is definetly worth it.

Screen res is pretty impressive, lets hope they use the same technology on the next Macbook Pro.
SZ Territory TS RWD TDCi
Sprint347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2010, 02:05 AM   #284
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

Played with one in the store for the first time today.
First thing I tried was the death grip, on Telstras network I had to really grip the thing to make it lose 2 bars max although i tested internet at the same time and barely noticed a difference in speed.

I love the shape compared to the 3GS in comparison the 4G makes it look so old and bulky, 4G looks much more professional style wise.

The only downside is our store has a minimum 6 week waiting list lol.
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
FGX-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2010, 07:46 PM   #285
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTpilot
Anyone paired one up and used it with FG bluetooth yet?
Work are offering to get me one but not sure, Wanna know if the bluetooth will work or not.
Works perfectly with my FG Falcon rep car. Works with my Fiesta Bluetooth too. Seems iOS 4 has brought some much needed stability with Bluetooth. Even my work 3GS is more stable running iOS 4.

Get it! iPhone 4 rocks!
Old 04-08-2010, 08:11 PM   #286
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

Can you do bluetooth file transfers with the Iphone4? Or is the BT still limited to connectivity for accessories as the 3's were..

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2010, 10:28 PM   #287
Joshmcmillan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Finally jumped on the bangwagon and ordered a 16gb 3GS from the US for only $350 AUD delivered in as new condition. It's locked to AT&T so I'll have to jailbreak it, but worth it as they're selling for $550+ in Australia.

FG XR6 Turbo, 6 Speed Manual, Silhouette .

12/78 XC Ford Fairmont Project Car. (351, 5spd)
Build Thread: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11444473

1968 Ford F350 LWB Dually. 300 Six, 4 speed. Beavertail project.

Joshmcmillan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2010, 11:34 PM   #288
divine_afg
Extreme_Custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
i found that this was the case when i was with 3. they were excellent with this and i upgraded my phone twice in a 24 month period.

however when i wanted to switch to an iPhone, i was quizzing them if they would release one on 3. they kept telling me no, will never happen etc etc. so i jumped ship (regrettably) to voda, and a month later the 3GS launches on 3. i wasnt happy. needless to say, im not real happy with voda either. but the new 79 cap seems like good value, and ill tell myself for the next year before i go to sleep at night that buying a iPhone 4 outright was a good idea.
yeh i agree with you too with regards to iphone release, if i remember correctly 3 was the last telco to offer them in aus apparently they had compatibility issues.

i used to be with voda then moved to 3 since pretty much day one. i still have there hot for 3 plan, which is best plan ever offered to consumers imo.

i dont know about voda now but they were great goin back say 6-8yrs. they used to offer loyal customers subscriptions to mags for free. my uncles been loyal to them and he still get ths benefits.

voda is now 3 anyways so technically you still onboard.

i was happy to get the new iphone4, only to be disappointed can't get white one in aus yet. after reading few of the reviews i have decided to wait although i was givin great offer by three to upgrade as im big spender and have several numbers with them.

also heard through grape vines that apple will be releasing updated version of iphone 4 after sept/oct. i guess this is way they are not goin to offer case anymore.

cheers
H
divine_afg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2010, 11:44 PM   #289
divine_afg
Extreme_Custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny
Can you do bluetooth file transfers with the Iphone4? Or is the BT still limited to connectivity for accessories as the 3's were..
Still limited. I read a review and its one of the reasons also way i didnt get one. hopefully apple will come to its senses and upgrade the next iphone with customary options.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:44 AM   #290
GT Chick

Now I have also heard that they are bringing out a new updated phone in September. Has anyone else heard this?
GT Chick is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2010, 11:21 AM   #291
rodderz

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT Chick
Now I have also heard that they are bringing out a new updated phone in September. Has anyone else heard this?
I haven't but it's probably a good reason not to buy a new model so quick. I am always baffled why people line up to buy a phone (or the Ipad for that matter) that will be a lot cheaper in a few months time, with bugs ironed out and the real longevity of them comes out.
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2010, 12:15 PM   #292
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
I haven't but it's probably a good reason not to buy a new model so quick. I am always baffled why people line up to buy a phone (or the Ipad for that matter) that will be a lot cheaper in a few months time, with bugs ironed out and the real longevity of them comes out.
The good 'ol "keeping up with the Jones's" or for the younger one's " Look at ME".....oh now - don't spit your dummy kids
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2010, 12:22 PM   #293
Sprint347
Tickford

I got an iPhone 3G in July 2008, my plan has come out of contract which means it's more cost effective for me to get a new phone on a revised plan with better data allowance etc.

Having to wait an extra month for my phone from Optus means I'm stuck on my 'old plan' for another month, ie. 500MB of data per month.

I've used the iPhone 4 and I'll be the first to admit it's not perfect by any means but a good phone.

The reception issue is clear (dropped from 5 bars to 1 bar in my hand), and the camera isn't as good as I'd hoped. But the speed and the screen clarity makes up for these issues.

I wouldn't bother upgrading from a 3GS to a 4.
SZ Territory TS RWD TDCi
Sprint347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2010, 12:23 PM   #294
rodderz

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217
The good 'ol "keeping up with the Jones's" or for the younger one's " Look at ME".....oh now - don't spit your dummy kids
One of my wife's friends on facebook the other day dropped their brand new Iphone and it cracked the whole top corner on both sides being glass. They had ordered it weeks ago at the local shop and went there early to pick it up. Mind you nothing wrong with their previous Iphone.

Probably not nice, but I LOL'd hard
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2010, 01:09 PM   #295
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
One of my wife's friends on facebook the other day dropped their brand new Iphone and it cracked the whole top corner on both sides being glass. They had ordered it weeks ago at the local shop and went there early to pick it up. Mind you nothing wrong with their previous Iphone.

Probably not nice, but I LOL'd hard
I think this is why my wife says I'm mean at times as I would have reacted the same !
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2010, 05:59 PM   #296
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Apple don't upgrade their products every five minutes, nor do they drop their prices without a reason. Mac computers get updated about once a year, normally in March. The iMac being the exception, this tends to be late in the year, or in the latest case mid year. iPods get updated normally every year to two years, the iPad will be every year as is the iPhone. So no, Apple won't bring out a brand new iPhone until next year (iPhone 2G 2007, iPhone 3G 2008, iPhone 3GS 2009, iPhone 4 2010, all around June/July, see a trend). With these phones, Apples prices didn't drop throughout their lifespan. The only reason Macs got cheaper last year is due to the high Aussie dollar. They do however update the iOS software, and Mac OS X every so often when it's required.

I'm prepared to eat my works if I'm wrong.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:07 PM   #297
Joshmcmillan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyhilton
Apple don't upgrade their products every five minutes, nor do they drop their prices without a reason. Mac computers get updated about once a year, normally in March. The iMac being the exception, this tends to be late in the year, or in the latest case mid year. iPods get updated normally every year to two years, the iPad will be every year as is the iPhone. So no, Apple won't bring out a brand new iPhone until next year (iPhone 2G 2007, iPhone 3G 2008, iPhone 3GS 2009, iPhone 4 2010, all around June/July, see a trend). With these phones, Apples prices didn't drop throughout their lifespan. The only reason Macs got cheaper last year is due to the high Aussie dollar. They do however update the iOS software, and Mac OS X every so often when it's required.

I'm not saying your wrong. But Apple are giving out free cases, and allowing no questions asked returns on Iphone 4's until September this year. So it does seem likely that it will be when they release a fix the minor antenna problem.
This may not be a usual situation, their image might not be able to afford to wait until next June/July.

FG XR6 Turbo, 6 Speed Manual, Silhouette .

12/78 XC Ford Fairmont Project Car. (351, 5spd)
Build Thread: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11444473

1968 Ford F350 LWB Dually. 300 Six, 4 speed. Beavertail project.

Last edited by Joshmcmillan; 05-08-2010 at 06:15 PM.
Joshmcmillan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2010, 06:26 PM   #298
divine_afg
Extreme_Custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyhilton

firstly i would like to say that what i am about to say is not to stir anything up. or get into your wrong, im right .......

I can see where you coming from and there certainly is trend with previous
Apple models however, i believe iphone4 is an exception. Apple or any firm cant afford hit on their reputation.

If Apple didn't release brand new model they should atleast rectify the problem and respect its loyal customers.

Time will tell.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:32 PM   #299
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Exactly why i havnt bought one, i may not then either
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 05-08-2010, 07:36 PM   #300
macman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I haven't had an issue with my iPhone 4 (yet) thank goodness.

Well, besides my dodgy attempt at cutting my sim card down to size (which initially didn't work and scared the poop out of me)...
macman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post