Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-06-2006, 07:40 PM   #1
coonpanelvan
Starter Motor

Default what car to choose

Just got a $12 000 loan from a parent and trying to decide what car to choose, if only ford bought out an xr6t sooner id be happy, since i want a bit of a performance car but i dont want a V8, right now im leaning towards a supercharged stato, any other ideas of decent cars around that price that aint to old n have a bit of go.

coonpanelvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2006, 07:43 PM   #2
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

I'm not sure on auction prices, but a BA XT has more power than a supercharged Statesman and would be cheaper to insure, they go quite well too, i had a BAGT owner in my BA6 this week, he was surprised at how it pulls you back into the seat under acceleration.

You may get something like this for 12k:
http://www.fowles.com.au/auctions/lo...Number=1955283
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2006, 07:49 PM   #3
klawsterfobik
Bad Music and Litre Bikes

I'd go to the auctions with that sort of money and get something that you can play with.

An AU Fairmont Ghia, while not the best looking car will give you a good starting point. Nice and comfy, with room for improvement in the engine department.

or a BA Fairmont, possibly for that kind of money. All the performance mods you could want are out there for them at the moment.

[edit:] just having a look through Fowles Auctions, there are quite a few XR6T's sitting there just waiting to be had, perfect to pop into a Fairmont engine bay
Anyway. Enough reality, back to the topic.

Last edited by klawsterfobik; 08-06-2006 at 08:06 PM.
klawsterfobik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2006, 11:25 PM   #4
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would spend 2K on a nice X series Falcon and pay of the loan asap, but I hate being in debt for something that won't make me money. (IMHO, X-series Falcons aren't too old!)
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2006, 10:34 AM   #5
XA Coupsta
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I too wouldnt spend all the 12k on a car.

Sure spend a few grand dont get me wrong, even another few on fixing it up and personalising it.

But keep that loan figure as low as possible is my opinion.

Auctions are an awesome place to find good value cars.
XA Coupsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2006, 01:34 PM   #6
turboute
turboute

You should be able to pick up a 98-99 XR6 with about 90-110k km's for that price - good thing is they come with alot of upgrades, Mags, LSD, Ugrades to the interior, suspension etc. Problem is the motor is not as powerful as the BA. But at 172Kw's it is as powerful as the Stato(supposedly - the s/c 6's were understated for power apparently). It will also cost less to insure.
turboute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2006, 02:46 PM   #7
MRJUCY
Fordless

I'd go a manual AU XR6, way more fun then the auto barge.
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2006, 03:38 PM   #8
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

As said previously....AU fairmont ghia tickford with VCT engine. As quick as the V8 equivilent, full leather.....OH and I have one for sale and you can have some change left over!!!!!!!!!!!!! :

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post