Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-03-2024, 07:50 PM   #1
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: Favorite Car Reviews

Chevy Caprice PPV Review by Uncle Doug................

These cars were a strange concoction and only sold to police departments. The interior was based on the standard Commodore instead of the upmarket Statesman/Caprice. The front bumper was closer to the Commodore Omega instead of Statesman/Caprice. The door handles were unpainted black plastic, same for the fender vent. Vinyl flooring and unfinished door trims. No badging to keep the cost down to not advertise a car that the general public can't buy. They didn't even blank out buttons for the missing Sat Nav and other interior functions, why pay for that.

And its those last two aspects that sums up GM's view of Holden, not good enough to sell as an aspiration purchase, so they flogged them into fleets instead. Same happened with the later Chevy SS, no advertising and a high price to discourage sales.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten

Last edited by DFB FGXR6; 15-03-2024 at 08:02 PM.
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-03-2024, 09:36 AM   #2
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
And its those last two aspects that sums up GM's view of Holden, not good enough to sell as an aspiration purchase, so they flogged them into fleets instead. Same happened with the later Chevy SS, no advertising and a high price to discourage sales.
That wasn't GM's view of Holden. GM US were hamstrung by the UAW (Union of Auto Workers) which limited the number of imported Holdens to "protect" their jobs.

Dr Terry

Last edited by Dr Terry; 16-03-2024 at 09:55 AM.
Dr Terry is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2024, 10:11 AM   #3
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
They didn't even blank out buttons for the missing Sat Nav and other interior functions, why pay for that.
All VE Commodores had the Sat Nav button regardless of whether that option was fitted or not.

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2024, 09:03 PM   #4
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Terry View Post
All VE Commodores had the Sat Nav button regardless of whether that option was fitted or not.

Dr Terry
How lazy.
Mustang GT

Old 16-03-2024, 09:16 PM   #5
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:

These cars were a strange concoction and only sold to police departments. The interior was based on the standard Commodore instead of the upmarket Statesman/Caprice. The front bumper was closer to the Commodore Omega instead of Statesman/Caprice. The door handles were unpainted black plastic, same for the fender vent. Vinyl flooring and unfinished door trims. No badging to keep the cost down to not advertise a car that the general public can't buy. They didn't even blank out buttons for the missing Sat Nav and other interior functions, why pay for that.

I love those things, its like a sedan version of the VDJ79,

https://youtu.be/LvynJKOdT4g?si=pJBX44laMA17af7d&t=14

Here's an older review of one by 'Regular Car Reviews',

He mentions about issues getting parts for it, GM follows the same part number convention globally, but the part numbers themselves are unique to their markets.

You can't give a GM US part number to your local Holden dealership, and they can't give Holden part numbers to their local Chevrolet dealership, they have no reference to GM part numbers outside of their own markets - which is absolute clown show material if you ask me.

Had the same issue trying to get US GM stuff out of my local Holden dealership, even though they use the same ignition coil on Commodores, no dice with GM US part number.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2024, 07:36 PM   #6
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I'm so in love with this car, and this video distils numerous videos into one continues love song................

There are currently two M3 CSL's on Carsales at the moment. For a car which I would have thought to be bought and used sparingly, both of those have over 90,000 km's on the clock. $250,000 for a 21-year-old BMW with 90,000+ kms on the clock is very hard to justify, even if it's probably my favorite car sound ever.

This one presents as new -

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...22726838/?Cr=0

This one would need work and has been clearly well driven -

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...15096692/?Cr=1
Mustang GT

Old 22-03-2024, 08:18 PM   #7
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'm so in love with this car, and this video distils numerous videos into one continues love song................

There are currently two M3 CSL's on Carsales at the moment. For a car which I would have thought to be bought and used sparingly, both of those have over 90,000 km's on the clock. $250,000 for a 21-year-old BMW with 90,000+ kms on the clock is very hard to justify, even if it's probably my favorite car sound ever.

This one presents as new -

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...22726838/?Cr=0

This one would need work and has been clearly well driven -

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...15096692/?Cr=1
Too bad they’re SMG only. That is a deal breaker for me. Ohh, and the stupid asking price.
Very hard justify when $60k will get a manual E46 M3. I’m leaning towards one of them as my next vehicle purchase.

Not really car reviews, but who can remember Best Motoring racing stock Jap and Euro cars from the 1990s and early 2000s. Good viewing.
I can remember downloading their videos as an early teen on dial up as MPEGs.

smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2024, 09:27 PM   #8
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post
Too bad they’re SMG only. That is a deal breaker for me. Ohh, and the stupid asking price.

Very hard justify when $60k will get a manual E46 M3. I’m leaning towards one of them as my next vehicle purchase.
To be honest, I think it suits them and the time period. Yeah, I would probably want a manual, and if I had the money to buy one, I would probably spend the money to have a manual conversion too.

I've looked at E46 M3's on and off over the years. Actually, I would probably go for the newer Z4M Roadster and have the CSL-style aftermarket carbon intake system fitted. No SMG offered on those cars either. Those Z4's have aged well in my opinion.

This one has the carbon intake..............

Jason Plato likened it to the AC Cobra................

..........a bit of a handful.....................

Mustang GT

Old 22-03-2024, 09:34 PM   #9
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
To be honest, I think it suits them and the time period. Yeah, I would probably want a manual, and if I had the money to buy one, I would probably spend the money to have a manual conversion too.

I've looked at E46 M3's on and off over the years. Actually, I would probably go for the newer Z4M Roadster and have the CSL-style aftermarket carbon intake system fitted. No SMG offered on those cars either. Those Z4's have aged well in my opinion.

This one has the carbon intake..............

Jason Plato likened it to the AC Cobra................

..........a bit of a handful.....................

Yeah not wrong, and like the E60 they copped flak when new due to the styling.
But looking at E60 M package cars and the M5 and the Z4 M, they don’t look 20 years old.
The Z4 M seems to be a bit of a forgotten and under rated M car. Although the asking prices don’t suggest that.

smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2024, 09:55 PM   #10
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post
Yeah not wrong, and like the E60 they copped flak when new due to the styling.
But looking at E60 M package cars and the M5 and the Z4 M, they don’t look 20 years old.
The Z4 M seems to be a bit of a forgotten and under rated M car. Although the asking prices don’t suggest that.

I remember that era so well, BMW copped it for the "flame surfacing", but eventually the worth of that styling direction made sense and began to appear across the car industry. For example, that double layer boot lid arrangement that first appeared on the E65 7-Series was so hated but eventually made its way onto countless other sedans, including the VF Commodore. And the heavy body sculpting was subtle when compared to the dogs breakfast of intersecting lines that is common now, the Hyundai Elantra/i30 in particular.

Then take a look at the bloated, overwrought stuff BMW are putting out now and I can't help thinking that the newer stuff won't age very well at all...................

Mustang GT

Old 28-04-2024, 02:51 PM   #11
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

What a poorly researched video by Doug, I was embarrassed for him. Americans do have a “not made here” syndrome, anything that’s different to their sense of normal blows their mind.

My fave review is Clarkson absolutely hating on the Civic Type R, still so entertaining
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XeGAmc...bGFya3NvbiA%3D

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz