Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 23-07-2023, 02:56 PM   #1
whyshoulditellyou
Permanently Banned

Default Re: why are australian cops so strict on speed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Spend a bit of time out in the Western suburbs, people are either doing 30 under the limit on the freeway or 200+ - every morning I've come across some monster doing warp speed and changing across four lanes in amongst the snails
Is this Melbourne you're talking about?
This user likes this post:
Old 23-07-2023, 03:11 PM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyshoulditellyou View Post
Is this Melbourne you're talking about?
Yes - Melbourne, Florida.
2 users like this post:
Old 23-07-2023, 03:22 PM   #3
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Actually, going back to the title of your topic, to be honest, I don't think cops are strict on speed....well not in this area from my experience. There was a talk back radio on the other day asking why in 2023, Vic had a higher fatality rate than NSW, yet had less roads (pretty crude way to compare). Plenty of callers from NSW saying they were surprised how little our roads are policed compared to NSW when they crossed over.

I think the "strictness" comes from gov with their fixed and contracted mobile speed cameras. Not the actual cops patrolling.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
3 users like this post:
Old 23-07-2023, 03:34 PM   #4
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Actually, going back to the title of your topic, to be honest, I don't think cops are strict on speed....well not in this area from my experience. There was a talk back radio on the other day asking why in 2023, Vic had a higher fatality rate than NSW, yet had less roads (pretty crude way to compare). Plenty of callers from NSW saying they were surprised how little our roads are policed compared to NSW when they crossed over.

I think the "strictness" comes from gov with their fixed and contracted mobile speed cameras. Not the actual cops patrolling.
I reckon I've only seen speed trap setups by police maybe 5 times in 12 years on the road, averaging 30,000km/year around Melbourne and surrounds - that was what got me when I done my licence.

Otherwise, when it comes to demerit points I've got a mint driving record, and I spent 12 years driving like a flog.

Hell I've only been brethoed maybe 3 or four times and one was last week and it was a setup of young ones, its like they wheel out the new recruits out somewhere and get them on the bretho.

Its the cameras and for the higher range offences they come down on hard here, otherwise the vast majority of traffic enforcement comes from cameras.

When I did my road trip and went through NSW, I only saw two NSW highway patrol on the entire trip of their coast, one speed trap at Nambucca Heads and one in Forster chasing someone on a dirtbike in the industrial estate.

Also I reckon some of the infringements are weighted that they're not too unpalatable and its done on purpose - using your phone while driving is only 4 points and around $600, its not that much of a disincentive to not use your phone while driving but they make it out like its the end of the world from a safety perspective.

If they were so concerned then how come its not instant suspension of your licence on the spot and four figures?

Or the way in VIC that speeding fines are weighted - 10-24 over the limit is $370 and 3 points, but under 10 over is 1 point and $231.

So why even bother doing 10 over you might as well as do 24 over (unless its a 110 zone then 20 over is loss of licence), its the best value speeding fine on the market.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 23-07-2023 at 03:58 PM.
3 users like this post:
Old 23-07-2023, 04:07 PM   #5
whyshoulditellyou
Permanently Banned

Quote:
I reckon I've only seen speed trap setups by police maybe 5 times in 12 years on the road, averaging 30,000km/year around Melbourne and surrounds - that was what got me when I done my licence.

Otherwise, when it comes to demerit points I've got a mint driving record, and I spent 12 years driving like a flog.

Hell I've only been brethoed maybe 3 or four times and one was last week and it was a setup of young ones, its like they wheel out the new recruits out somewhere and get them on the bretho.

Its the cameras and for the higher range offences they come down on hard here, otherwise the vast majority of traffic enforcement comes from cameras.

When I did my road trip and went through NSW, I only saw two NSW highway patrol on the entire trip of their coast, one speed trap at Nambucca Heads and one in Forster chasing someone on a dirtbike in the industrial estate.

Also I reckon some of the infringements are weighted that they're not too unpalatable and its done on purpose - using your phone while driving is only 4 points and around $600, its not that much of a disincentive to not use your phone while driving but they make it out like its the end of the world from a safety perspective.

If they were so concerned then how come its not instant suspension of your licence on the spot and four figures?

Or the way in VIC that speeding fines are weighted - 10-24 over the limit is $370 and 3 points, but under 10 over is 1 point and $231.

So why even bother doing 10 over you might as well as do 24 over (unless its a 110 zone then 20 over is loss of licence), its the best value speeding fine on the market.
Sure Melbourne might not have many cops, but there speed cameras everywhere in Melbourne (many of them hidden)
I don't understand how people can speed in Melbourne without losing their license
Old 23-07-2023, 03:28 PM   #6
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes - Melbourne, Florida.
Thanks you clearing that up Franco so many places named Melbourne over here.

Melbourne - Washington
Melbourne - Tennessee
Melbourne - Missouri
Melbourne - Kentucky
Melbourne - Iowa
Melbourne - California
Melbourne - Arkansas
2 users like this post:
Closed Thread