Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-04-2022, 07:46 AM   #1
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Hybrids.

Have bitten the bullet(wife really because she is finding the CRV to big,especially in a big city.)& have put an order in for the new Honda HRV Hybrid(general release on the 19/4/22) 45k,which as everyone knows is a set price with Honda these days, no haggling no ifs no buts.We did option it up, with a nicer set of Honda alloys & few other bits & pieces. The dealer that we went to(& have purchased quite a few vehicles off them over the years,& have always looked after us pretty well,so no complaints there.)They had three HRVs there of the new model, one was just a petrol model & the other two Hybrids.One was floor model only & not for sale as it is there for people to have a good look @ & sit in etc…(& won’t be sold for six months)The other one is a demonstrator.This one had only come in a day or so before,& only had 30kms on the odo.We we’re bel believe it or not the very first to drive it(the car is booked out next week for people wanting test drives.)First impressions?Very nice to drive,very,very comfortable vehicle,Hybrid system is impressive.Negatives?It is only a four seater in Australia(ADR rule).In the EU & UK it is a five seater, as the seat belt comes from above you, but,it is not a place you would want to sit anyway, very hard in the middle.Not a deal breaker for us, but many would not like it.The engine?So,so,1.5 litre VTEC same as the Civic.96KW & 253Nm of torque.If pushed the engine noise flares up,but again not a deal breaker.The car will cruise quite comfortably @ freeway speeds,@ 120kph + it is fine.Hybrid system is different to Toyota(Honda we’re the first in Hybrid technology with the Honda Insight in 1999)Unlike traditional mild hybrids the e:HEV L’s engine aids the electric motor, not the other way around, resulting in a smoother driving experience.They are not new to the technology.A lot of people who are looking @ them are people who are after the Hybrid technology,& are frustrated @ the delays with Toyota.Whether this happens with Honda remains to be seen.We will be one of the first to own one.There are a lot on the ‘water’ being shipped to dealers in Australia for first delivery’s.Reviews are mixed o’seas with them.But all in all they seem pretty good.

Last edited by hackney; 10-04-2022 at 07:52 AM.
hackney is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-04-2022, 08:31 AM   #2
Vekgib

Default Re: Hybrids.

We had 3 HRV's lob into our dealership this week as well. I haven't been to properly suss them out yet,but they certainly look the business. Thanks for the review.
Good luck with your purchase.

Stuff this,I'm going to play a few shots & see what happens.
Vekgib is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-04-2022, 10:02 AM   #3
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What did you think of the price in terms of value for money?
Old 10-04-2022, 10:09 AM   #4
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestaz View Post
What did you think of the price in terms of value for money?
Think it is okay for the money.I really thought that they would have been @ least 50k.Think the Hybrid system is better than the Toyota system.Car is very well equipped.There has already been a considerable amount of interest in the Hybrid variant, and I think they will shift quite a few.Time will tell, if supply can keep up.The Hybrid system also seems to trump the Toyota system in that it can stay on pure electric power longer than than the Toyota Hybrid.Very nice to drive, great seating etc…
Old 10-04-2022, 01:01 PM   #5
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackney View Post
Think it is okay for the money.I really thought that they would have been @ least 50k.Think the Hybrid system is better than the Toyota system.Car is very well equipped.There has already been a considerable amount of interest in the Hybrid variant, and I think they will shift quite a few.Time will tell, if supply can keep up.The Hybrid system also seems to trump the Toyota system in that it can stay on pure electric power longer than than the Toyota Hybrid.Very nice to drive, great seating etc…
Good luck on your purchase, I can think of no better compromise than a hybrid for city driving, the efficiency gains from regen braking should make for decent gains in fuel efficiency.

Be sure to give us a review once you have sufficient seat time…
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2022, 01:04 PM   #6
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Good luck on your purchase, I can think of no better compromise than a hybrid for city driving, the efficiency gains from regen braking should make for decent gains in fuel efficiency.

Be sure to give us a review once you have sufficient seat time…
Thanks,I will.
Old 10-04-2022, 03:32 PM   #7
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Congrats on your purchase. Honda have made some excellent cars over the years.

Had to have a bit of a chuckle about the CRV being too big, but hey whatever suits the boss best. ("Happy Wife = Happy Life") And I still like to drive my XR4, LOL.

How exactly does this system work? There seem to be so many variants now days, even Toyota seems to use different systems for different cars.

I see that Honda have also moved to the practice of muddying the pricing around Hybrids.
The Hybrid version costs around $8k~9k more, but you also get a lot more features, so there's not straight comparison.

Be interested to hear what fuel economy you get.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2022, 03:49 PM   #8
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Congrats on your purchase. Honda have made some excellent cars over the years.

Had to have a bit of a chuckle about the CRV being too big, but hey whatever suits the boss best. ("Happy Wife = Happy Life") And I still like to drive my XR4, LOL.

How exactly does this system work? There seem to be so many variants now days, even Toyota seems to use different systems for different cars.

I see that Honda have also moved to the practice of muddying the pricing around Hybrids.
The Hybrid version costs around $8k~9k more, but you also get a lot more features, so there's not straight comparison.

Be interested to hear what fuel economy you get.
I find the CRV fine,on the highway she has no issues @ all,it’s when we go to Sydney & into the city, she finds it a bit big.Fuel consumption is around the 4.3 level for the Hybrid.The car is pretty well packed with all the goodies, nothing is missing, so is a pretty good package.The HRV is a dream to drive.The benefits of Hondas hybrid system is that it will run on pure electric energy for a lot longer than Toyota’s.See how it goes once we have our hands on it, then I can make a more informed comment.
Old 10-04-2022, 03:53 PM   #9
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The benefits of Hondas hybrid system is that it will run on pure electric energy for a lot longer than Toyota’s.[/QUOTE]I imagine that comes down to the battery?
I know that Toyota persisted with NiMh, in the interests of Longevity, but obviously it lacks the power density of Lithium.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2022, 03:59 PM   #10
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
The benefits of Hondas hybrid system is that it will run on pure electric energy for a lot longer than Toyota’s.
I imagine that comes down to the battery?
I know that Toyota persisted with NiMh, in the interests of Longevity, but obviously it lacks the power density of Lithium.[/QUOTE]

Their system is slightly different to Toyotas.In Honda ‘speak’:Unlike traditional mild hybrids,the e:HEV L’s engine aids the electric motor,not the other way around.The result is a smoother more driving experience.Most reviewers in the UK & Europe have been fairly impressed with the system, time will tell.