Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 29-03-2022, 08:33 PM   #11
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Why we're ALL about to go out and buy PHEVs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper Martini View Post
Certainly would work for some, Ironic you work in the coal industry though
I reckon at least 50% of people I work with have solar at home. Yes we supply coal for NSW coal power plants, but we try to avoid using it. Pretty weird in a way.

Even if I bought an electric car and charged it partly on coal, at least I am contributing to that supply rather than some foreign oil.
However V8's are cool though and I want one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
It's not that silly. I want to know what would happen to a household solar array in this situation, as I have one. I suspect giant frying pan effect. Further, I'd almost guarantee all electric cars, smartphones, much of our communication - gone.

Going further still, I'd almost guarantee an HJ60 would continue to work - fully mechanical diesel. (manual crank, too!). Studies I have reviewed suggested most pre-computer cars would continue to work. Tyres would form a bit of a faraday cage.

We are rushing to create a future that is extremely vulnerable to exactly the disturbances that a decreasing protective magnetic field of Earth (happening) could allow more of. Ie, it wouldn't have to be the size of the Carrington Event to do widespread damage: look at the damage done in recent years by much smaller solar storms (documented & out there).
Some things would work, but society will basically crumble because most things have some form on computer in them. Supply chains will break down because the computer systems which run them will fail. Most vehicles in the supply chain will not work since most transportation companies like to keep a mostly modern fleet.

I know that the vast majority of coal trains in NSW are ECP. No chance of them running after a solar flare. That's assuming coal mining and coal plants can run. I assume they wouldn't be able to.
Every time I think of solar flares it reminds me to get me fruit and veggie garden in better shape.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: