Yes - cooling system serviced as per factory, using factory coolant 6 6.52%
Yes - cooling system serviced as per factory using different coolant 0 0%
Yes - cooling system not serviced 1 1.09%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 31-08-2020, 04:40 PM   #211
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 
Default Re: Has your ZF milkshaked poll - POST 2012 ONLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm View Post
Both were stray currents leading to electrolysis

As soon as i cut them open i knew. Didnt bother contacting PWR its not their issue
Stray current if bad enough can kill any component if it's bad enough, we've tested several cars with failed factory heat exchangers and have to see stray current an issue, but I guess it depends on how the mods are done on the car

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
This user likes this post:
Old 31-08-2020, 04:44 PM   #212
gkhn
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: How to change Ford FG upper control arm bushes + Home made pressing tool 

Is there a way to reduce the stray current other than changing the coolant regularly?
I use Ford premix coolant which has 33 percent ratio.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter View Post
Stray current if bad enough can kill any component if it's bad enough, we've tested several cars with failed factory heat exchangers and have to see stray current an issue, but I guess it depends on how the mods are done on the car
Old 31-08-2020, 04:58 PM   #213
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkhn View Post
Is there a way to reduce the stray current other than changing the coolant regularly?
I use Ford premix coolant which has 33 percent ratio.
Thank you.
Stray current is not a cooling system problem, it is an electrical issue that affects the cooling system

2 users like this post:
Old 31-08-2020, 05:02 PM   #214
mexicov

Thanks, aaronm. That could explain why the OEM units fail.
Old 31-08-2020, 05:08 PM   #215
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicov View Post
Thanks, aaronm. That could explain why the OEM units fail.
that was the rumour a few years ago, but tested and proven as a myth in the cases tested

3 users like this post:
Old 31-08-2020, 05:13 PM   #216
gkhn
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: How to change Ford FG upper control arm bushes + Home made pressing tool 

Coming back to the topic.
You really have two options.
1- Replace your old heat exchanger with a new OEM one if it has not been changed for a few years lets say 3 years max(pray the new OEM one does not fail before you change it again).
Do not buy the expensive PWR heat exchanger as it fails too and you might as well throw your money out of the window (some of it may come back).
2- Remove the old exchanger and fit air2oil cooler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter View Post
that was the rumour a few years ago, but tested and proven as a myth in the cases tested
3 users like this post:
Old 31-08-2020, 05:46 PM   #217
mexicov

The air/oil exchanger fitted in front of my car's radiator has metal to metal contact with the chassis. Wouldn't this remove stray currents as would the metal to metal contacts of the OEM and PWR water/oil units? Is there an auto electrician who can comment, please?
Also, it seems to me some comments MAY be referring to failure of the air/oil mod. Does anyone know of such failures and what was the cause(s). Since milkshakes can not occur are any failures due to leakage or broken hoses? I think neither of which should cause catastrophic failure.
Old 31-08-2020, 05:48 PM   #218
gkhn
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had leaking hoses with my air2oil cooler.
It was the clamps.
Cut the hose tiny bit & replaced the clamps.
It is all good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicov View Post
The air/oil exchanger fitted in front of my car's radiator has metal to metal contact with the chassis. Wouldn't this remove stray currents as would the metal to metal contacts of the OEM and PWR water/oil units? Is there an auto electrician who can comment, please?
Also, it seems to me some comments MAY be referring to failure of the air/oil mod. Does anyone know of such failures and what was the cause(s). Since milkshakes can not occur are any failures due to leakage or broken hoses? I think neither of which should cause catastrophic failure.
2 users like this post:
Old 31-08-2020, 06:24 PM   #219
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

I think we're done here. In case anyone has forgotten the topic is Has your ZF milkshaked poll - POST 2012 ONLY. That doesn't mean rehashing old arguments from 3 2/1 tears ago.

Closed
Closed Thread