Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-12-2017, 03:58 PM   #31
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 
Default Re: Brand new manual car...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPXR6T View Post
Irrelevant. The A condition is removed from your licence when you go full licence.
Not correct for all states in Australia.

It only applies to SA, VIC and NSW.

In QLD & WA, if you have an automatic licence and you then want to drive a manual you must;

In QLD

If you have an automatic (A) condition on your licence you must not drive a manual transmission vehicle.

If you want to learn to drive a manual transmission vehicle you must:

Be supervised by a person who has held an open licence for at least 1 year in that class and display L plates on the vehicle while learning.

If you want to remove the A condition from your licence, you will need to pass a practical driving test in a manual transmission vehicle.

In WA

If you are the holder of a car licence which is restricted to automatic transmission use you will need to also pass the Practical Driving Assessment: Car (C class) first.
GO FURTHER is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 27-12-2017, 03:58 PM   #32
roKWiz
Cabover nut

This thread reminds me of all the Grey Nomads I see in parks cooking and sitting outside, winter or summer cause they don't want to wear out their M.home or caravan lounges and have cooking smells inside due to resale value.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-12-2017, 04:08 PM   #33
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti View Post
If your talking XR6 / 8 or the likes absolutely infact I'm looking for a BF XR6 manual for my son and the rubbish that is on offer in his budget would get him a glammer as an auto
I had an apprentice who was dead set on a manual xr6 turbo and had a real hard time finding any. He picked up a really clean bf manual with only 70 thousand on it and the seller dropped the price from 14 to 13 because no one was interested. I wouldn't consider that a bad deal. After 18 months it was sold in not long for 14.5. If someone wants a manual they want a manual. If it's a weekender then yeah I get the whole being in control feeling that you don't 100% get with an auto, but being stuck in traffic half my life I kind of get over never getting past 3rd. But I drive a fridge. It does its job but isn't exciting. The pm at work has a manual x trail and loves it. He's a manual person so questions the auto v6 hilux work gave him. They may not corner too well or stop great, but they do have enough go.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-12-2017, 05:26 PM   #34
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti View Post
If your talking XR6 / 8 or the likes absolutely infact I'm looking for a BF XR6 manual for my son and the rubbish that is on offer in his budget would get him a glammer as an auto
Funny enough they ask ridiculous prices because they sell. Followed both manuals I traded and the ute was gone in a week and the pov pack sedan was gone in two weeks.
Old 27-12-2017, 06:38 PM   #35
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt View Post
Funny enough they ask ridiculous prices because they sell. Followed both manuals I traded and the ute was gone in a week and the pov pack sedan was gone in two weeks.
Absolutely but 99.999% of soccer mums in the second hand mid size SUV market would go for the auto

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2017, 07:53 PM   #36
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlcrazy View Post
Hi all,

Next year i will be purchasing a brand new 2018 Nissan X-Trail. I will more likely be looking at a 7seater so this question may not be revelent as the 7seater is auto only.

But anyway, i have test driven a brand new manual X-Trail an lpved it. But everyone i talk to says i will be stuck with it when trade in time comes along...

Whats everyone's thoughts on that?

TIA
James
Same for me,bought a Qashqai TI 6spd manual,no way I was going to be stuck driving a CVT-XTronic!So much nicer to drive,& if the clutch goes in the ensuing years,far,far cheaper than repairing a CVT.Cheers
Old 27-12-2017, 09:29 PM   #37
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If it is a sports car or possibly another vehicle that attract enthusiasts (proper 4wd etc) - manual transmission can be a good option. Mass market small suv is 90%+ automatic market and buying a manual means buying an orphan.
Those cars are built to battle gridlocked traffic and are not particularly fun to drive even in manual . I would probably pick something with a nice auto like a CX5 or similar.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2017, 12:09 AM   #38
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am amazed you can option a proper manual box & clutch instead of the cvt, I assumed they would offer a boring 4 or 5 speed auto. Recently I drove a new corolla with cvt for a few days. It is a bizarre sensation & makes a hell of a racket when you demand hard acceleration,especially with engine, trans & drive shafts being forward of the driver. I gotta say though, these touch screens in the middle of the console that control nearly everything, are a massive distraction. I assume most cars have these now, and with the UV rays here in Oz, I could barely see the one in the corolla. This touchscreen combined with mobile phones/texting will be a dangerous combination for those drivers who are not content with steering wheel controls & not texting whilst driving.
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2017, 11:07 AM   #39
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day , I've got three cars..FG XR6 ZF auto , AU 4 speed auto and a 33 year old Honda Accord 5 speed manual . I LOOOOVE the FG and AU auto's but begeezus it's awesome fun to drive the little 1.8 litre with a stick.
Total control it gives you . Just before I paid the princely sum of $1000 for it last year the clutch was replaced by the previous owner.
My only regret with the Sprint Turbo is that a manual transmission couldn't be offered there. Surprising considering the V8 did have a manual despite 20 more kilowatts and about exactly the same torque.
Would have been even better methinks if it was possible Cheers Rod.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2017, 11:31 AM   #40
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Was talking about this at Xmas lunch. My partner has an auto license. Her brother's kids are getting auto only licenses. He said there is no point in getting the manual one as there are barely any manual cars these days and if they want it they will get it later on. He has a point. Manuals are becoming rarer these days.

A mate drove in my Lancer and was surprised it was a manual. For us that have grown up with manuals being common place it seems strange but its the way it has gone now. Everything in life becomes automated these days to make things easier.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2017, 12:42 PM   #41
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Whats an Auto?
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-12-2017, 01:28 PM   #42
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
Whats an Auto?
Something you regret after buying one.
Old 28-12-2017, 01:30 PM   #43
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
But thankful when you come to sell it.
GO FURTHER is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2017, 01:34 PM   #44
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
But thankful when you come to sell it.
Bet I lose a lot more on my current auto then I have with my manuals.
Old 29-12-2017, 11:17 AM   #45
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dad never owned an auto in his life . Before he got very sick and passed away in 1990 he told me a couple of times when I was buying " Auto for lazy driving" when I was looking around although he contemplated an HZ Kingswood auto for a while before he bought an HX manual (3 speed).
My last proper manual was one of my favourite Falcons. It was a gun metal grey 1996 EF Futura with a 5 speed manual. The lovely old manual was beaut to use . I ummed and ahhed when I spotted the AU ll in 2003 because it was my first automatic ever. Still have her nearly 15 years on. No issues at all with the trannie and now have the FG XR6 ZF too.
The old bomb Honda Accord with the stick though is quite fun to use and it's great to be able to have manual and auto any day .
When I bought the EF 5 speed back in 1998 a manual "normal" Falcon was pretty rare. Not much changed between then and 2016. Guessing it'd be
upwards of 80- 90% autos in the finish wouldn't it ? Cheers Rod..

Last edited by roddy1960; 29-12-2017 at 11:27 AM.
Old 29-12-2017, 01:08 PM   #46
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68 View Post
Vitara actually runs a torque converter auto :-) Maybe a Swift ?
Just following up on this, spoke to old mate across the road this morning, he's a new car sales man who sells Suzuki amongst other brands.
I asked him about the Vitara again and what trans it runs, he says CVT.
I said, i hate to tell you how to do your job but you might want to do some research on the cars you're selling as it actually runs a torque converter 6sp.
No it isnt, he says, yes it is i say and then showed him a carsguide review which highlights its conventional 6sp as a positive.
he was like, but i've been telling my customers its a CVT, i said how have they taken that news, not too well he says..lol

To be fair though, i took his word for it as he sells the damn things and having driven it the changes were non existent and it drove the same as our CVT Outlander did but for the purpose of the thread i'll stand by my comments regardless of the type of auto it runs, the manual version is a better car hands down.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2017, 05:16 PM   #47
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The older all our cars become, the less it matters whether its manual or auto because the condition of the body, interior & motor become much more relevant. I can't recall a time where a 20 plus year old car has had its sale price affected by transmission.
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2017, 05:48 PM   #48
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Just following up on this, spoke to old mate across the road this morning, he's a new car sales man who sells Suzuki amongst other brands.
I asked him about the Vitara again and what trans it runs, he says CVT.
I said, i hate to tell you how to do your job but you might want to do some research on the cars you're selling as it actually runs a torque converter 6sp.
No it isnt, he says, yes it is i say and then showed him a carsguide review which highlights its conventional 6sp as a positive.
he was like, but i've been telling my customers its a CVT, i said how have they taken that news, not too well he says..lol

To be fair though, i took his word for it as he sells the damn things and having driven it the changes were non existent and it drove the same as our CVT Outlander did but for the purpose of the thread i'll stand by my comments regardless of the type of auto it runs, the manual version is a better car hands down.
That is pretty common with car salesman , many have limited knowledge of their product . CVT gives itself away under wide open throttle as it holds the revs at max torque and adjusts the gearing while TC will rev out and change gears.
Many manufacturers confuse mattter further by programming artificial gear change points into CVTs but they still revert to typical cvt behaviour under full load.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2017, 08:26 PM   #49
IanC

I sold a manual Laser last year. Low mileage, full service history with all invoices. It sold within half an hour of going on Gumtree to the first person who came to see it. Perhaps that was the only person who wanted a manual but you only need one buyer.
IanC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2017, 09:32 AM   #50
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

On CVT's . My good mate is an Amazon courier driver in Baltimore , travels I 95 a lot as part of his zone and his 2.0 litre Chevrolet City Express van has a CVT . It's perfect for the job he does , he reckons . It is only 18 months old though but it has 30,000 miles on it already . It'll be interesting to see how it goes over time because the true test of anything like this is longevity and reliability .
Old 30-12-2017, 10:48 AM   #51
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68 View Post
That is pretty common with car salesman , many have limited knowledge of their product .
A couple of years ago I was looking at a Focus. When I asked the salesman what sort of gearbox it had, he replied 'auto'. Yes, well, CVT, torque converter or dual clutch, followed by confusion on his part. After an extended consultation with his boss, he replied about the dual clutch, so, Focus goodbye. Product knowledge non existant.
After their problems later, that was a good decision.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2017, 01:42 PM   #52
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Or a lifesaver for those of us with busted legs.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2018, 10:49 PM   #53
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm with those who say buy what you want, not what the person you sell it to may want.

It's very unlikely you're the only person in Australia who wants a manual, even if they are falling out of favour.

While I drive an auto these days (the G6E only came with auto, and I really liked it), i'm glad I started on manual. It helped when applying for my current job, all the work vehicles are manual.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post