Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-10-2017, 09:27 PM   #1
trentv8
Starter Motor

Default FG FPV F6 or GS 315?

Looking to buying a new car i already have a BA mkii Xr8 which is tidy. But looking of getting something that goes hard with a tune and iv been in a few xrts and they go hard but how does GS 315 compare to a typhoon after both tuned what goes better?
trentv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2017, 11:06 PM   #2
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Default Re: FG FPV F6 or GS 315?

Were all GS the 5.0 Coyote? If that's the case then yes, but keep some money spare for an intercooler kit and tune. Don't bother with the previous gen 5.4L. I used to be a Barra fanatic until rough idling, seized turbo, head gasket, head studs and valve springs reared their ugly head when approaching the power output of a simple tuned Coyote. My Coyote had pushed 50,000 km with simple servicing at 390rwkw, and is still going strong, the Barra lasted 15,000 km at the same power level, before all the weaknesses surfaced. Barra although are good and seem to last if you are content with 300rwkw or less.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 31-10-2017, 11:25 PM   #3
marcyeo

Really depends on what you want out of the car and what sort of power delivery you like as well.

GS will give you more kw with a simple tune and exhaust as it really liberates the supercharged V8. Power delivery is also more linear and nothing beats the sound of the supercharger whine and V8 exhaust.

The FG MKII F6 (guessing that's what you are looking to purchase) on the other hand is a lighter car to drive and so the feel is different on the road without a heavy V8 engine in the front. Being a turbo the power delivery is more of a instant kick rather than the linear rush of the GS - attributable to the turbo lag/spool of course. So seat of pants feel is faster in a F6 because of the sudden kick of the turbo once it reaches boost.

Sound of the F6 is also nice - but more whistles and turkey gobble on lift off and air intake whoosh. Don't forget the F6 also comes with Brembo brakes ready to go and depending on whether you need them or not - I recommend them if you're going a tune.

I owned a previous F6 and it made 350rwkw with the mods in my sig for about $5000. I made 450rwkw in the GT (not the GS), and the GT ended up being alot faster, but it was about $15000 for the initial tune,exhaust mods, injectors, fuel pump and intercooler.

OLD
2010 FPV F6 FG - Herrod CAI, Pedders extreme XA's, Whiteline fr & rear swaybars, PWR stepped IC, injectors, turbo dump pipe with Venom cat, Herrod piping kit = 350rwkw
marcyeo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-11-2017, 12:05 AM   #4
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

As others have said... They are very different in their power delivery.
Both are great cars, but I feel the F6 will be the more collectable of the two down the track. The F6 will be cheaper to tune as well.

I'd suggest test driving both if you have the opportunity.

You already have a XR8, even if you sell it... Maybe time to experience the F6 and something different?

The thing to bear in mind though, is that there will never ever be another Barra turbo... But V8's will continue such as Mustangs and add on supercharger kits, etc.

With the F6, you'll be able to tell your grandkids one day, that you owned one of the best performance 6 cylinder engines ever made in this country.
GO FURTHER is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-11-2017, 07:30 AM   #5
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have owned 2 supercharged falcons, 3 x 5.4 litre falcons and 5 x turbo falcons. I prefer the turbo
boss351290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2017, 07:40 AM   #6
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The gs is too base model looking compared to the f6, although some might like that. Both engines are great the v8 with a manual would be mighty tempting
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2017, 09:09 AM   #7
sixman

Both great cars - you wont be dissapointed with either.

Maybe look at both and pick the car with best price/condition.
Rear tyres: Toyo R888 265-30-19
3.5inch custom exhaust with imitation stock tip, PW Stage 2 cooler (black), ID 1000, XCAL3, Plazmaman intake, Herrod Spark Booster
BorgWarner EFR 9174
Autotech 420rwkw
sixman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2017, 10:13 AM   #8
adz137

I've owned a fg xr6 turbo, fgx g6e turbo and a fgx xr8 and honestly i prefer the turbos. If i was in your position i would go for the F6. The F6 is more special and in my opinion will be a collectable in the near future.
adz137 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-11-2017, 12:48 PM   #9
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Depends if you are a V8 man or not. I had the FGXR6T and didn't like it, but it made me realise im a V8 manual man, go the V8.
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-11-2017, 01:20 PM   #10
lucas2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The F6 is more of a special car imo. I never look at another XR/GS for longer than I need to. An F6/GT on other hand will catch my attention more often than an XR will.

FG XR6T SILHOUETTE - 380rwkw
lucas2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2017, 01:35 PM   #11
commandojones

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
Depends if you are a V8 man or not. I had the FGXR6T and didn't like it, but it made me realise im a V8 manual man, go the V8.
I have a manual GS 315 sedan and I love it. Very fun car. I have never owned a turbo barra so I cannot speak for the F6. It looks nicer than the GT IMO.

To answer the question earlier about the GS's not having 5.4L's, The first GS to come out in the FPV FG series (i think in 2009), was the BOSS 302 GS. It had the 5.4L boss in 302kw guise. In 2010 FPV/Prodrive finished the miami project which saw the GS getting revised with the Supercharged coyote 5.0L (miami) which was called the FPV GS 315.

The GS is a great car, basically a GT without the body kit and large rear wing and the brembos.
commandojones is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-11-2017, 02:49 PM   #12
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Were all GS the 5.0 Coyote? If that's the case then yes, but keep some money spare for an intercooler kit and tune. Don't bother with the previous gen 5.4L. I used to be a Barra fanatic until rough idling, seized turbo, head gasket, head studs and valve springs reared their ugly head when approaching the power output of a simple tuned Coyote. My Coyote had pushed 50,000 km with simple servicing at 390rwkw, and is still going strong, the Barra lasted 15,000 km at the same power level, before all the weaknesses surfaced. Barra although are good and seem to last if you are content with 300rwkw or less.
I'm at near 500rwkw with on my stock engine....not sure why you think anything over 300rwkw is problematic with the Barra engine....

I'd take the F6 over the GS, having owned both a FG F6 and SC FG GT.
3 users like this post:
Old 01-11-2017, 03:05 PM   #13
jring16
Starter Motor

Well having just been there done that I wound up with a 2010 GS.

I started out looking at your BF typhoons and your FG xr6t/xr8's before I decided to stretch my budget and look at your FG FPV's as well.

The F6 is a real nice car and boy dose it push you into the back of your seat, but for me the sound of the V8 just puts a smile on your face every time you start her up, and it's there even when your in that annoying stop start traffic whereas the boost of the F6 isn't. both cars are easily mod-able if your chasing more power
And as a plus the GS can push you into the back of your seat just as much when you want her to ;) Tho admittedly it's nowhere near the rush of a F6 full boost.

Downsides to the GS is rego is slightly more expensive (looking at 1000+ for a year vs 800 for an F6, or at least in QLD) and she might go threw a bit more fuel just going around town, but if you drive either of the cars hard all the time your gonna be stopping at the servo regularly.
It also look closer to your base FG range and doesn't have as fancy interior or all your electronic assists and color ICC standard like what most your F6's and GT's seem to but personally that didn't relay bother me. and if you shop around you can find GS's that had most of that optioned on anyway.

Either way in my opinion you cant go wrong with either of these cars and whichever you pick you'll be happy.

sorry for the rant, anyway hope this helps trentv8
jring16 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-11-2017, 04:16 PM   #14
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Depends on what you want out of a car imo, they are two completely different beasts.

What kinds of roads will you be driving on city/country.
The problem with the Miami is it really needs to be driven hard to enjoy it to it's full potential. As a v8 it doesn't sound great idling around and if you do the majority of your driving in the city, idling is exactly what you will be doing. They make a great sound at 6000rpm tho, but you need somewhere to do that because you'll be doing highly illegal speeds.

OTOH, I think an f6 would be brilliant in the city, you can snort from corner to corner or lights to lights and soak up that awesome whack the f6 gives.

Make no mistake though, on the open roads with balls hanging out the Miami is faster.
A gs will require a tune too, they're boost limited stock.

Who cares about collectibility? Drive the bloody things and enjoy them for what they are.

A good ba/bf gt is another option if you're a city guy and not after outright speed. 5.4s sound great and still go hard.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.

Last edited by Mercury Bullet; 01-11-2017 at 04:22 PM.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-11-2017, 10:11 PM   #15
40RDT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would lean toward the F6. It has better brakes, interior, street cred etc and is more of a genuine FPV than the GS...the GS is basically an XR with some minor FPV trinkets
2 users like this post:
Old 01-11-2017, 10:54 PM   #16
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40RDT View Post
I would lean toward the F6. It has better brakes, interior, street cred etc and is more of a genuine FPV than the GS...the GS is basically an XR with some minor FPV trinkets
True, the brakes are a big deal in cars like these.

I wouldn't drive a Miami without brembos. I shudder when I think about it.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2017, 12:49 AM   #17
40RDT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
True, the brakes are a big deal in cars like these.

I wouldn't drive a Miami without brembos. I shudder when I think about it.
Yeah good brakes are a must have with high powered cars...the standard XR stuff is pretty rubbish, not too bad if you replace with good slotted rotors and pads though
Old 27-11-2017, 02:28 PM   #18
trentv8
Starter Motor

Hey lad thanks for all your replys, I ended up purchasing a 2012 FG F6 mk 2. Loveing the boost, pluss still got my old ba xr8 when i wanna here that v8 sound nothing beats a good v8 note so ill be keeping the old girl as well. Cheers
trentv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2017, 10:59 PM   #19
Swordie

Best of both worlds.
Swordie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2017, 08:49 AM   #20
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40RDT View Post
Yeah good brakes are a must have with high powered cars...the standard XR stuff is pretty rubbish, not too bad if you replace with good slotted rotors and pads though
Agreed re the brakes on an XR6T are rubbish.
Yeah id pick F6 too, if it were a GT yeah id still pick the F6. The GS is a real nice car but the F6 is more of an FPV imo aswell.

Also lol 300rwkw or less with an XR6T.

OP congrats on the purchase, spot on best of both worlds!
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2017, 11:47 AM   #21
Sioso
irregular member

It's really a question of whether you prefer to be shoved in the back or punched in the kidneys.
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2017, 12:57 AM   #22
BigJamo
Yep ... BOOSTED

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentv8 View Post
Hey lad thanks for all your replys, I ended up purchasing a 2012 FG F6 mk 2. Loveing the boost, pluss still got my old ba xr8 when i wanna here that v8 sound nothing beats a good v8 note so ill be keeping the old girl as well. Cheers
Awesome choice, you will love it alright.
2014 (Feb) FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
6 speed Manual
BigJamo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2017, 08:24 PM   #23
Sep 97 EL XR8
Miami power

I have a fg mk11 gt and love it, the f6 is a bloody good car as well. I looked at gs when buying my GT, but couldn’t get over the fact is would get confused as a XR. The raccoon eyes, brembos, ended up sealing the deal. If I had the money I would have a F6 for daily driver and gt for weekends.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sep 97 EL XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2017, 08:21 AM   #24
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentv8 View Post
GOOD CALL YOU LUCKY BUGGER.
That's a nice pair you have there ..ENJOY BOTH .
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post