Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-07-2017, 09:47 PM   #1
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Unmarked police cars ...

Had an unmarked police car inc plain clothes cop in the relatively busy street at the end of our street last week.

I didn't know it was there but someone asked me if I'd been behaving myself and to be careful

I could see it from our place and it was there from at least 11am when I was told about it to about 3.15pm.

Being a sticky beak I went for a drive at lunchtime and the cop was sitting in there with a camera (not a speed camera, a real camera).

As I'm an expert in these matters I deduced that one of the nearby houses was of interest to the police. After a bit of thought I worked out which one it was. Always thought they were a bit dodgy.

Fast forward to this morning and I had a police officer through work (I work from home).

As a joke I asked her what was happening and explained the excitement.

Turns out there was a statewide blitz on drivers using mobile phones.

Unmarked car/cop takes pics of ppl using mobile phone then radios to uniformed officers a km or so down the road.

My cop was a part of it on the other side of town where they booked 26 drivers in 5 hours.

Be careful... and apologies to my not so dodgy neighbours...

ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-07-2017, 09:29 AM   #2
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Unmarked police cars ...

sorry dude if you believe that story your crazy.

We had same situation few years ago (previous address) and I went for a walk with the dog, politely asked this dude what he was doing sitting there for 4 hours, ' checking on that (named) business across the creek theres been some complaints about them.) told our 'strange' neighbour and 2 days later they dissapeared in middle of night. Next day 4 police cars desend on his house and found amazing amounts of stuff hidden.

I could never work out how 2 people both on invalid pensions could be so well off.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:34 AM   #3
baboon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: went to the trouble of posting up some great Vids of the AFF drag meet 

Yes guy at work got done in Melbourne, plain clothes police at a set of lights looking into vehicles. If they catch you touching your phone, they relay the info to a car to pull you up later on.

He got done with a $400 fine and 4 points.... not cheap!
baboon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-07-2017, 10:10 AM   #4
ronwest

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
Sorry dude, I'll believe the police officer rather than some internet dude who had some sort of situation a few years ago.

No offence...

Old 11-07-2017, 11:28 AM   #5
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They had a blitz on mobiles here in Radelaide at the start of the year...all uniformed.

First lot I saw was when dropping off vehicle to crash repairer on Churchill Road just before Regency Road intersection (heading towards city). Building before the repairer is built out to the footpath and makes the driveway to the crash repairer a blind corner (crash repairer is set back a bit from the footpath). I'm pulling in and 2 cops step out from behind the adjacent building right in front of me. They were hiding behind the wall so you could not see them as you approach, then when the lights stopped traffic they would come out and walk up the rows of cars tapping on windows and telling people to pull over at the patrol cars waiting after the intersection (one on Churchill Road for those going straight, and on each side of Regency Road for those turning left or right). One was wearing a body camera, the other had a hand-held camera.

Two days later heading towards the city on Propsect Road...see unmarked patrol car on opposite side of the road with two uniformed guys...thought they were on lazer duties but then just beyond them was a uniformed guy with camera in one hand and radio in the other (hiding behind a sign in the church) observing traffic in both directions...and just beyond him was another unmarked on my side of the road.

Then 3 days later I'm approaching lights on North East Road opposite TTP. Lights go red, we all stop, and two smoking hotties in uniform come out of TTP carpark about halfway along the line of cars (right where I was)...they walk the rows towards the front and both nab one each. Didn't see either with a camera, just radio...definitely no body camera as I looked at their chests. Was doing the sums on how much it would cost me if I grabbed my phone for an introduction...but then realized I would only get to have a good chat with the fat bald senior constable on the other side of the intersection.

That was all within a week...haven't see it since, so must have been a blitz.
Iggle Piggle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 11-07-2017, 02:42 PM   #6
Squalo
Two Wheels Good

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

I'm all for cops booking people for using their mobiles. There's no excuse.

If you've never had someone crossing the centre line towards you because they're on their mobile, believe me it's just a matter of time. I'll often look at drivers faces as they come towards me, just to ensure I'm not going to have to take an escape route off the road.
1969 Kombi
Squalo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2017, 03:16 PM   #7
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggle Piggle View Post
......... two smoking hotties in uniform come out of TTP carpark about halfway along the line of cars.....Didn't see either with a camera, just radio...definitely no body camera as I looked at their chests. Was doing the sums on how much it would cost me if I grabbed my phone for an introduction....

quoted just in case others missed this bit
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2017, 08:27 PM   #8
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squalo View Post
If you've never had someone crossing the centre line towards you because they're on their mobile, believe me it's just a matter of time. I'll often look at drivers faces as they come towards me, just to ensure I'm not going to have to take an escape route off the road.
I beeped someone recently for crossing the double lines when approaching me. Clear as day they had their head pointed down looking into their crouch region (wonder what they were looking at)
Looked in the mirror to see them with their finger out the window flipping me off.
There is one thing I hate more that **** drivers, it's **** drivers that take zero responsibility and blame everyone else for their **** driving.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2017, 10:26 PM   #9
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

I bet your neighbours are dodgy after all and this whole "mobile phone blitz" is just a clever ruse they set up to cover their tracks once they found out you were onto them...
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2017, 03:16 PM   #10
ronwest

Possibly but a decent tasering would have gained my co-operation...

Old 12-07-2017, 08:46 PM   #11
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

You should have called the cops, informing them that there was a dodgy looking guy in a car taking photos of people at the end of your street...

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2017, 09:39 PM   #12
ronwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Brooksy View Post
You should have called the cops, informing them that there was a dodgy looking guy in a car taking photos of people at the end of your street...

...while I was driving past would have been a nice touch

Old 13-07-2017, 11:18 PM   #13
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
Sorry but you're the crazy one.

I saw a segment on tv about this very thing a few months back. Cops armed with a DSLR taking photos of muppets on their phone, and uniformed cops down the road catching up with them.

They're doing it.
Old 13-07-2017, 11:25 PM   #14
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well, I reckon if you are doing no wrong, you have nothing to fear about unmarked police cars.
Old 13-07-2017, 11:41 PM   #15
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCRXR6 View Post
Well, I reckon if you are doing no wrong, you have nothing to fear about unmarked police cars.
I agree with that. My wife on her first day at a new childcare job was running early so she parked up the street and killed some time in her fg2 g6. It's tinted and she noticed a few peeks through the curtains of the house she was parked in front of. Anyrate, an hour into the new job a kid got dropped off by their dad and she got asked if the g6 in staff parking was hers. Yes it is and he was happy he wasn't under investigation. Nothing sus hey...
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 14-07-2017, 12:54 PM   #16
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Saw someone on their phone while driving down the freeway the other day... guy must have a death wish or something.

Let's just hope people don't start connecting bluetooth mice to their phones... technically not touching the phone while using it.

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2017, 01:07 PM   #17
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Someone needs to invent an app that sends a shock to your balls if you use your mobile whilst driving.
It'll work with some women, but not all.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2017, 05:03 PM   #18
ronwest

I wonder what the law is regarding wrist watches that can send/receive texts?