Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-03-2006, 07:49 PM   #1
kcbworth

Default Picking Up New LX Focus this Week

I've finally been given word from my dealer that my new focus is in town and will be ready for delivery this week. It's my first new car and want to make sure that when i pick it up that everything is just as it should be. I've been following a number of threads on this board since I first started looking at the focus a few months ago, and want to use this thread to organise and get your opinions on my thoughts about what I should do at the time of and after delivery. The issues i'm looking at are:

Inspect the Car Before Signing Anything
  • Check the paint for scratches and defects.
  • Check the overall paint quality. Stand back and check that it is consistent across the whole car.
  • Check the alignment of the bumpers, bonnet, and doors, for gaps and alignment issues.
  • Check for cracks and scratches on the windscreen and windows.
  • Check that anything the dealer has affixed is on straight and correctly.

If I find any issues with any of these things should I ask the dealer to fix them before I take delivery, or ensure that they are noted to be fixed at the first service under warranty?

Paint Protection (DIY)

I've read around previously that a good DIY wax and polish will dramatically extend the protection of the new paint job. Can anyone recommend any good products, threads, or tutorials on what I should do when I first get the car, to ensure that I don't have any paint quality issues further down the track.

Break In The Engine

I've read heaps of conflicting stories about the best way to do this. The one consistent message I get is, as long as you give your car a bit of variety for the first 500km or so, then engine will have a much healthier life (i.e. dont just jump on the highway for 4 hours when you first get the car). Anyone have any further insight into this?

Aftermarket Tinting

I opted against dealer tinting as it is more economical to go aftermarket. I've been led to believe that this would be beneficial both for the long term quality of the car (reduce sun damage), quality of ride, and it will look awesome! Any ideas on what tint to go for, and can anyone recommend somewhere that I should get it done in bris southside?

I'm sure there's other stuff I missed, but these are the things i'm considering at the moment. I want to make sure that I don't get a dud, and that the car at least starts off it's life well. Look forward to your comments

kcbworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2006, 08:28 PM   #2
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Make sure that your spare tire and the jack and bits pieces are there. Check that all electric windows work, check the interior for stains of defects. Same with the roof liner. Probably more but brain is not 100% at the moment.
Outbackjack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2006, 09:11 PM   #3
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Get a friend to go either with you or before you to check it out possibly an NRMA inspection or a different private company. Be prepared to WALK AWAY if you are at all suspicious of the dealers after sales circus. I only mean that you get things fixed BEFORE you take delivery. You have worked hard,saved hard for this so you need it to be as good as it can. Note everything,have salesperson sign off or Service Manager. Congratulations and good luck on your new purchase.
Old 13-03-2006, 03:00 PM   #4
BlackLS

If there are any issues, don't take delivery unless they book you in for the car to be fixed in good time. Check the car in sunlight, even if that means coming back the next day. Check where 2 panels come together (like quater panel and bumper)

On a Focus, check for vertical scratches on the side rub strip.

Paint Protection (DIY)

Talk to Themboys (site sponsor) and they'll hook you up with everything you need. I wouldn't pay for the dealer to do paint protection (lol at paying someone $500 to polish your car)

Break In The Engine

I read on here somewhere, go to your favorite stretch of road and drive it almost like you stole it (no ram raids etc). Keep it restrained but still spirited.

Aftermarket Tinting

The dealer more than likely outsourses this to a mobile tinter/tinting chain... So you'll be saving your self money and get exactly the same product.. Then you have the option of having custom tint and whatnot
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2006, 04:00 PM   #5
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Paint Protection (DIY)

I've read around previously that a good DIY wax and polish will dramatically extend the protection of the new paint job. Can anyone recommend any good products, threads, or tutorials on what I should do when I first get the car, to ensure that I don't have any paint quality issues further down the track.

I would recommend having a chat to Pete at Themboys I did & your duco will thankyou for it.

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2006, 08:32 PM   #6
kjau99
Starter Motor

I picked up mine my new Focus Ghia last Friday and noticed scratches on the windscreen on the Sunday when driving in the sun. I immediately rang them on Monday morning and told them about this. They said they will look at it at the 3,000km service. Should I trust them? I know it was not my fault as I had not touched the windscreen! They are very fine and do not seem to be on the surface so I am hoping they do not blame me. I have made a note of the time I called and who I spoke to. My experience with them was great so I do hope something like this does not sour it :(
kjau99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2006, 10:57 PM   #7
kcbworth

I'm really not sure mate but I hope that I don't have any of those kinds of issues. I'm going through a highly rated dealer so lets hope that means the car's in good nick. Thanks for your comments everyone - not sure if I'll have anyone to check it out with me, but there is a chance.
kcbworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2006, 11:04 PM   #8
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcbworth
I'm really not sure mate but I hope that I don't have any of those kinds of issues. I'm going through a highly rated dealer so lets hope that means the car's in good nick. Thanks for your comments everyone - not sure if I'll have anyone to check it out with me, but there is a chance.
When I bought my Ford i thought the same - Just because the dealer is large and reputable... doesn't mean they are great with service. My Fiesta missed pre-delivery... So it had NO accessories and the wrong numberplate. What the?!

Good luck with the Car!

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post