Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 12-11-2016, 12:09 PM   #31
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Man faces $9000 fine for using a drone to pick up a Bunnings sausage

Good, hope he cops the fine. I would like to see a ban like Sweden.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2016, 12:35 PM   #32
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Man faces $9000 fine for using a drone to pick up a Bunnings sausage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr smith View Post
Why?
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2016, 03:38 PM   #33
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking Re: Man faces $9000 fine for using a drone to pick up a Bunnings sausage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
Why?

Probably to stop the thugs of the sky doing fun things like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb08n3bLSvA

I agree though people need to be kept in check with these things and there are laws in place to punish the people doing the wrong thing. 99% of drone pilots ( man I hate that term) are not out to perv on your wife/daughter nude sunbaking in the backyard ( apparently most people who hate drones do activities like this regularly ) we are out to have some good old fashioned fun.
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-11-2016, 07:43 PM   #34
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
No there arent any regulations regarding the sale of them and nor should there be. The onus is on the purchaser to act responsibly which is how it should be! People taking responsibility for their actions and all that!
Which is exactly how it should be.
But, if a body like CASA has to play nanny to this kind of activity, I would just rather that they used education to inform potential buyers and if this means a licencing system that someone had to pass so that they are educated, then that's preferable to trying to fine someone the equivalent of a new cheap car because they break the rules unknowingly. This is just blatant revenue raising!

Quote:
Its not just about airports and planes. They can seriously injure someone if they fall out the sky, as they do occasionally or havent been set up correctly and when the RTH function isnt calibrated properly and it slams into a building as the DJI flyer has no idea how to fly one in an emergency without aids.
This is why you dont fly over buildings and crowds, especially if you are nowhere near the area!
Sure the potential to injure is there but lets face it, this is not a common occurrence. I mean, people can get hurt and die in all sorts of strange and unusual ways. Phil Hughes was killed playing cricket for example! Do we ban the use of hard heavy balls in cricket to prevent all death as a result?

If we banned or regulated everything to the point where no one would get hurt, we wouldn't be able to leave the house every morning. Even staying in the house poses certain dangers!

As others have said though, flying one of these larger drones into a large jet engine shortly after take off has the potential to kill many, so poses a much greater hazard, hence the reason I mentioned airports and their proximity to Bunnings in Sunbury.

Last edited by XR6TCraig; 12-11-2016 at 07:48 PM.
XR6TCraig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2016, 08:15 PM   #35
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqE0WyAdSqs
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 12-11-2016, 08:31 PM   #36
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon SXR8 View Post

I agree though people need to be kept in check with these things and there are laws in place to punish the people doing the wrong thing. 99% of drone pilots ( man I hate that term) are not out to perv on your wife/daughter nude sunbaking in the backyard ( apparently most people who hate drones do activities like this regularly ) we are out to have some good old fashioned fun.
Man if that was FPV then that would have been a hoot...closest thing to being Superman
Ratmick is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2016, 08:54 PM   #37
creative
I am Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratmick View Post
Man if that was FPV then that would have been a hoot...closest thing to being Superman
I love freestyle.. one of my vids from my dvr... so this is the view I have. Ignore the bad picture at times, thats just the dvr not being able to keep up with antenna switching.

Quote:
Also Why?
Rebuilt Boss260 with #Kellogs 1500hp forged and balanced crank#Manley forged flattop pistons with a 9.5/1cr#4340 forged h-beam rods with arp bolts#Clevit performance rod and main bearings#full ARP headstud kit#total seal rings#Mantic twin plate development clutch and lightened flywheel#Mellings uprated oil pump#Mainforce Performance Supercharger kit#AU motorsport 345mm big brake kit.

Now producing 369.7rwkw/496rwhp@6000 and 515ft/lb torque @ 11 psi.
Now sat on an engine stand going nowhere
creative is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2016, 08:55 PM   #38
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon SXR8 View Post

Exactly why. That was about as interesting as watching golf. I'll be taking the Holland and Holland approach if one comes near my place.
Old 12-11-2016, 09:02 PM   #39
creative
I am Batman

Quote:
Exactly why. That was about as interesting as watching golf. I'll be taking the Holland and Holland approach if one comes near my place.
Just because you find it boring you will fire a gun at it and have it totally banned?
Rebuilt Boss260 with #Kellogs 1500hp forged and balanced crank#Manley forged flattop pistons with a 9.5/1cr#4340 forged h-beam rods with arp bolts#Clevit performance rod and main bearings#full ARP headstud kit#total seal rings#Mantic twin plate development clutch and lightened flywheel#Mellings uprated oil pump#Mainforce Performance Supercharger kit#AU motorsport 345mm big brake kit.

Now producing 369.7rwkw/496rwhp@6000 and 515ft/lb torque @ 11 psi.
Now sat on an engine stand going nowhere
creative is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2016, 09:07 PM   #40
pursuit57
mortgage free !

Quote:
I live in a rural/village environment with a lot of birds etc, an unknown neighbour or holiday terrorist USED to have one.....Hawk 1 Drone 0.
Crashed badly, hawk prob thought it was parrot...haha
Old 12-11-2016, 09:33 PM   #41
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Just because you find it boring you will fire a gun at it and have it totally banned?
Dumb does what dumb does...bit of luck he will indeed have a go at one then end up face down on his kitchen floor surrounded by the armed offenders squad.Hopefully his mrs doesnt have access to a firearm.

Last edited by 98TLS; 12-11-2016 at 09:39 PM.
98TLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2016, 09:55 PM   #42
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I see drones like another version of RC cars. Heaps of fun when you first get them, but after a few goes it will probably become boring and repetitive. Unless you have some sort of specific goal or competition going.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2016, 12:20 AM   #43
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratmick View Post
Yep fpv, its very very adictive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr smith
Obviously not your thing by the sounds of it mate, all good, we all enjoy different things in life no need to ban things you personally don't like.
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2016, 04:00 AM   #44
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

By all means have fun with them at the local park, or over your backyard etc - people should have the freedom to do so, and the rules do allow for non-commercial (eg hobbyist) levels of equipment & generous usage.

But to fly it over a 4 lane road, out of direct sight, and well within reach of people - perhaps 4-6-8 or maybe even 20 people depending on how busy the place was - that's just downright stupid. Actually, even more stupid, was posting the video online....

There were so many risks taken by that act of laziness/stupidity, that he deserves the fine.

If he was parked only 50m away, and flew it across to the BBQ, whilst maintaining vision, and there weren't many people around, then it would be a completely different outcome - perhaps only a caution for endangering people.

It doesn't take much for someone to lose an eye. And it's too late to say sorry after the damage has been done. 2D vision from a camera, streamed (probably low quality) to over 100m away, is not going to give him any depth of field or sense of distance. Try driving a car on a busy road with one eye covered, then pull into Bunnings & park in a spot - you wouldn't dream of doing it because of the dangers.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 13-11-2016, 04:29 PM   #45
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xahh View Post
Yes, CASA have changed things recently so that recreational drone operators can have fun on weekends flying them within the rules but even these 2Kg or less versions are not allowed within the 5.5KM exclusion zone around airports so they must be still deemed as a hazard to aircraft.

I agree, a balanced view is needed and that's why we can have a friendly chat here and get our opinions off our chests.

My point behind the bolded part is that a bird doesn't contain metal parts and a high powered lithium battery capable of causing an explosion or fire if damaged on impact.
I agree, big difference between a bird and something metal being sucked into a gas turbine engine. Sure the testing has been done on frozen chooks but that's not a drone.
While losing an engine shouldn't be the end of the world it certainly can be on short final in landing config and requiring large amounts of power.
Throw in a bit of weather or a fire (both very plausible scenarios) and it's easy to see how a bad accident can happen.
Aircraft are most vulnerable around airports - statistically.

I don't believe these should be banned, responsible people are always going to be responsible. Flip side is a ****head will always be a ****head and ruin it for everyone.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2016, 05:58 PM   #46
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Meh. Don't see the big drama. If he dropped the snag though. That's a paddling!
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2016, 08:12 PM   #47
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
No....
Old 16-11-2016, 08:14 PM   #48
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98TLS View Post
Dumb does what dumb does...bit of luck he will indeed have a go at one then end up face down on his kitchen floor surrounded by the armed offenders squad.Hopefully his mrs doesnt have access to a firearm.
Yea OK, I think you need to get out more and stop watching TV.
Old 16-11-2016, 08:21 PM   #49
xr8cam

Only a matter of time untill these things really F someone up. Too many idiots can get their hands on cars let alone high speed flying machines!
xr8cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2016, 08:34 PM   #50
pursuit57
mortgage free !

On tonight's Prime7 news...Domino's Pizza did their first delivery of 2 pizza's (it was in NZ !) but only matter of time before they'll try here - think CASA will have something to say..

Also, a while back Aust Post were talking about deliveries to remote/rural area's - not heard anymore about it, maybe CASA again ?
Old 16-11-2016, 09:13 PM   #51
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Drones and driverless cars both **** me no end. Every time I see that bloody ad for Subaru Eyesight I think, use your own bloody eyesight. Drones are the new jet skis. Every tool has one or wants one. CASA will have something to say if his pizza arrives cold.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2016, 12:02 AM   #52
xr8cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by GXL078 View Post
Drones and driverless cars both **** me no end. Every time I see that bloody ad for Subaru Eyesight I think, use your own bloody eyesight. Drones are the new jet skis. Every tool has one or wants one. CASA will have something to say if his pizza arrives cold.
Totally agree with you. Another thing I believe will create a generation of sub standard drivers is 'driver aids' Sure they prevent some accidents but people are lazy by nature and will become reliant on them, much the way a new driver is fooled by the all wheel drive systems into thinking they are better drivers than they really are.
Old 17-11-2016, 12:18 PM   #53
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

Considering how many drones are out and about now and going off some of the comments above, I'm surprised planes aren't dropping from the sky and people are not getting hacked to death yet?

Quote:
Researchers say FAA is really overblowing risk posed by small drones

The Federal Aviation Administration has pushed forward strict rules for the operation of small consumer drones. Drones weighing more than 250 grams (a little more than half a pound) will have to be registered*with the FAA, and there are*restrictions on where they can be flown. The regulations are largely prompted by fears that the toy-sized flyers will pose a danger to commercial and civil aircraft—fears that new research suggests are unfounded. That research, shown in a study just published by George Mason University's Mercatus Center, was based on damage to aircraft from another sort of small, uncrewed aircraft—flying birds.

Much of the fear around drones hitting aircraft has been driven by FAA reports from pilots who have claimed near-misses with small drones. But an investigation last year by the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA) found that of the 764 near-miss incidents with drones recorded by the FAA, only 27 of them—3.5 percent—actually were near misses. The rest were just sightings, and those were often sightings that took place when drone operators were following the rules. The FAA also overcounted, including reports where the pilot said explicitly that there was no near miss and some where the flying object wasn't identified, leading the AMA to accuse the FAA of exaggerating the threat in order to get support for its anti-drone agenda.

There hasn't yet been an incident in which a drone has struck an aircraft. But bird strikes (and bat strikes) do happen, and there's a rich data set to work from to understand how often they do. Researchers Eli Dourado and Samuel Hammond reasoned that the chances of a bird strike remain much higher than that of an aircraft hitting a drone because "contrary to sensational media headlines, the skies are crowded not by drones but by fowl."

The researchers studied 25 years of FAA "wildlife strike" data, reports voluntarily filed by pilots after colliding with birds. The data included over 160,000 reported incidents of collisions with birds, of which only 14,314 caused damage—and 80 percent of that number came from collisions with large or medium-sized birds such as geese and ducks.

Despite the rise in reported bird strikes over time (largely driven by improvements to the FAA's reporting system), the number involving damage has remained relatively constant, numbering in the hundreds per year—a statistical blip, considering that there are approximately 27,000 commercial aircraft flights per day in the US. And in 25 years, there have been only 37 incidents of wildlife strikes that caused injuries or death. The most dramatic of them, the water landing of US Airways Flight 1549 in 2009, was caused by a flock of geese being sucked into both the plane's engines. The one commercial aircraft fatality was caused not by a bird strike but by a collision with a pair of deer during landing in 2000.

"On average, only 3 percent of reported small-bird strikes ever result in damage, compared to 39 percent of large-bird strikes," Dourado and Hammond reported. "Given the voluntary nature of strike reporting, the true percentage of strikes causing damage is probably much lower, as strikes that do not cause damage can be either missed or underreported."

Using the FAA data and bird census data, the researchers calculated the probability of airborne wildlife striking an aircraft. "In 2014, there were 13,414 reported collisions with birds and flying mammals, counting incidents in which flocks of birds hit an aircraft as a single collision," the researchers noted. "As there are on the order of 10 billion birds in US airspace, this means that plausibly 1 bird in 1 million collides with an aircraft every year."

Birds spend much more time in the air than consumer drones, which have a short battery life. Birds also don't necessarily avoid areas where airplanes are apt to hit them. Based on usage statistics, compared with bird behavior, the researchers estimated that for every 100,000 hours of flight time for drones weighing up to 2 kilograms, there would be 0.00000612 collisions causing damage to aircraft. "Or to put it another way," the pair wrote, "one damaging incident will occur no more than every 1.87 million years of 2kg UAS flight time."

And the frequency of injuries caused by drone collisions, they estimated, would be another two orders of magnitude smaller—happening once every 1.87 million years of operation. "This appears to be an acceptable risk to the airspace," they concluded..
Ban birds not drones!!

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2016, 12:58 AM   #54
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't fly in controlled airspace = good. Don't fly over people = good. Don't fly a drone out of sight = good.

So basically use common sense and it is perfectly safe to fly a drone

Wow that is so amazing. If you're not an idiot you won't have anything to worry about.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2016, 01:28 AM   #55
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
Don't fly in controlled airspace = good. Don't fly over people = good. Don't fly a drone out of sight = good.

So basically use common sense and it is perfectly safe to fly a drone

Wow that is so amazing. If you're not an idiot you won't have anything to worry about.
Mitchay...Your logic and common sense is not welcome here...

As far as I'm concerned, the sausage sanga would have been cold by the time it got home, so what's the point...
Old 19-11-2016, 01:40 AM   #56
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastie View Post
Mitchay...Your logic and common sense is not welcome here...

As far as I'm concerned, the sausage sanga would have been cold by the time it got home, so what's the point...
Btw I thought it was pretty awesome but that doesn't mean it was not stupid. Hot or cold sangas are good
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2016, 01:58 AM   #57
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just on a train into victoria station I could see 4 aircraft flying past the shard in one blink, reminded me of this article and this thread

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-38011104

Real world stories
JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2016, 03:19 AM   #58
xr8cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
Btw I thought it was pretty awesome but that doesn't mean it was not stupid. Hot or cold sangas are good
Cold sanga sambo with mato sauce!
Old 19-11-2016, 07:29 AM   #59
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Drones are bad, mmkay!

Last edited by marty351; 29-11-2016 at 09:27 PM.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2016, 07:33 AM   #60
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thought this cartoon was quite appropriate:

commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: