Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 06-10-2016, 10:51 PM   #1
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default American made - bugger me

Bought a rowing machine today and I couldn't believe my eyes. Now that's something you don't see everyday. I stopped what I was doing and I just stared. Then I took a photo!!

chrisandsharon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2016, 11:15 PM   #2
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: American made - bugger me

I work for the Oz arm of a US company, so I see this all the time.
It's amazing how patriotic the yanks have become, and how important their local manufacturing now is to them. We could learn a lesson ourselves.

That being said, unionists have caused up north (like Detroit) to be far more expensive than the south (not to be confused with Mexico!) so the successful Global companies that manufacture profitably, and competitively, in the US tend to locate below the Mason-Dixon Line.

A couple of examples would be Toyota in Kentucky, and BMW in South Carolina.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2016, 11:29 PM   #3
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks like you bought quality.

Most things that I have bought that are made in USA, are superior to local products and often cheaper even after paying postage.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2016, 12:12 AM   #4
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well **** me. Had to stop the assembly because a footboard is missing a bolt. Found out why, the threaded insert is way out of alignment, hence the bolt not being there I suppose. The threaded insert is out of my hands, there's 3 other ones that are perfectly centred that take the securing bolt perfectly......the off centre one is stuffed - great quality control. ****ed right off!
3.5hr round trip to pick it up and I can't use it. I've sent the pic off to Uncle Sams office and will chase up a new footboard tomorrow.
Next time I'll make sure it's made in China!!!
3 users like this post:
Old 07-10-2016, 12:19 AM   #5
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisandsharon View Post
Well **** me. Had to stop the assembly because a footboard is missing a bolt. Found out why, the threaded insert is way out of alignment, hence the bolt not being there I suppose. The threaded insert is out of my hands, there's 3 other ones that are perfectly centred that take the securing bolt perfectly......the off centre one is stuffed - great quality control. ****ed right off!
3.5hr round trip to pick it up and I can't use it. I've sent the pic off to Uncle Sams office and will chase up a new footboard tomorrow.
Next time I'll make sure it's made in China!!!
Funny you should mention that. I talk to a few Americans on another forum, when I mentioned that something I bought was made in Seppoland they asked if it worked.

Seems they don't have a lot of faith in home grown products
Old 07-10-2016, 02:24 AM   #6
steamin63
old skool

we import quite a lot of yank products and seriously it is total crap. the chinese stuff is a lot better quality . and before you knock the aussie stuff some of our best products are locally sourced.
Old 07-10-2016, 10:41 AM   #7
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It happens I suppose. Some of the Yankee made stuff is great - as is ours.
I'd rather American and Aussie made even if there's a bolt missing at times
2 users like this post:
Old 07-10-2016, 11:00 AM   #8
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

Quote:
It happens I suppose. Some of the Yankee made stuff is great - as is ours.
I'd rather American and Aussie made even if there's a bolt missing at times
That's an interesting statement.

If I'm going to pay premium for a locally-made product, and I will, I expect it to be spot-on...and it normally is. I can't think of anything I have purchased that was made here that has failed on delivery, or soon after.

I don't buy into the 'buy Australian and keep the jobs in Australia' if the only reason we're doing it is to prop up industries that would have failed as the quality isn't there. I buy Australian and pay a premium because it's good stuff AND I don't mind the extra cost for quality AND it keeps employment in Australia.

I don't generally buy American because it's 'Made In The USA' as that's normally an excuse for large or heavy or out-dated and nearly always expensive. I am not a Yank so the patriotic 'God Bless America' thing doesn't work on me.

It's an interesting thing though, quite a few US companies rely on the patriotic angle to stay in business. Harley Davidson is an example, Whirlpool is another and so is Fender and Gibson.

The arguments between guitar people around Fender guitars made in Mexico by Mexicans against Fender guitars made in California (just inside the US from Mexico) by Mexicans is pretty amusing...
Ratmick is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-10-2016, 04:00 PM   #9
5wheelguy

There's not 1 place on Earth, where you can get anything of quality - made, NOT by a human.
I'm kidding... But overall... Human error is human error, no matter where you are.
Old 07-10-2016, 08:56 PM   #10
Joel.
Lost Focus In The Sunset

Back in about 2009 Cannondale, a bicycle manufacturer that was proudly "handmade in America" moved their operation to Thailand I believe it was. I was on an American mountain bike forum at the time and naturally the Americans were in uproar about it, saying the quality will be crap etc etc. Well the next year when the new models of bikes came out and the people that bought them reported back that the quality and finish was actually a lot better.
Joel. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-10-2016, 10:07 PM   #11
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel. View Post
Back in about 2009 Cannondale, a bicycle manufacturer that was proudly "handmade in America" moved their operation to Thailand I believe it was. I was on an American mountain bike forum at the time and naturally the Americans were in uproar about it, saying the quality will be crap etc etc. Well the next year when the new models of bikes came out and the people that bought them reported back that the quality and finish was actually a lot better.
I've just put a 2016 Trek MTB on lay-by, pretty sure it's made in Taiwan.

Do I care? Nope
Ratmick is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 08-10-2016, 04:04 AM   #12
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

......won't go there

Last edited by chrisandsharon; 08-10-2016 at 04:15 AM.
Old 08-10-2016, 08:35 AM   #13
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
Funny you should mention that. I talk to a few Americans on another forum, when I mentioned that something I bought was made in Seppoland they asked if it worked.

Plenty of yank stuff is very nice, but much of it is also very poor.

We buy some engine bits from the US, but when we want the very best we actually buy quite a lot of locally made stuff.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:24 AM   #14
roKWiz
Cabover nut

American made isn't all its crack up to be lately.
I've had a few classic fails lately. An Estwing masons hammer started to mushroom on one face 1 week after purchase (4 months ago) which I pointed out to the supplier but kept using it (stupid me) until 3 weeks ago the one piece 5lb hammers forged steel shaft snapped off missing my head by mms as it went whistling pass.
Importer couldn't care less and told me I didn't know how to use a hammer and chisel.
I've had several "Trow and Holden" tungsten tipped chisels fail at the shafts. American made stuff has certainly gone downhill.
I have since moved back to German quality Rexid hand tools.

The sticker above reminds me of the Dawsons truck bumper I recently purchased from Gleemans in Sydney.
States on the box...... made in the USA by American workers, using American steels for Americans.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-10-2016, 08:36 PM   #15
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just wondering. Could "Made in America" or "American Made" mean it was actually made in Mexico?
You often see "Made in The USA" which would undoubtedly mean NOT Mexico, but unsure what exactly "America" can be made to refer to.

Edit:
I looked it up where the water rower is made and:
Quote:
American Handcrafted

WaterRower rowing machines are proudly handcrafted in America in our New England factory located in Warren, Rhode Island.

Our wooden rowing machines feature a selection of the world’s finest Appalachian hardwoods sourced ONLY from replenishable forests

The Verified Sustainable Hardwood used in the manufacturing process is sourced from replenishable forests located in the Appalachian Mountain region of the eastern United States.

Final stages of hand finishing with Danish oil provides each wooden model with a warm tone and deep lustre.

Our popular metal M Series machines are electostatically coated with polyester powder and baked at high temperature in our custom ovens for a diamond hard finish.

The M Series is available standard in Silver, Black or White or choose from a custom palette of over 16000 colors.

WaterRower has been designing and manufacturing rowing machines of exceptional quality and design since 1988. Designed in the mid- 80s by Yale and US national Team Rower John Duke.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2016, 09:06 PM   #16
OzriderXR8

I've bought a bit of bike stuff from the states and it's often no better than the chinese imports. Bought a set of Tbars for my bike and had to hunt down an odd tap to clear out the threads before I could mount it, even then I had to make up sleeves to take up the slack.

AUII XR8 200KW
FG MK2 XR6
Mini 850
Rover P5 3 Litre Mk1
OzriderXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2016, 10:16 AM   #17
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post

Some U.S. stuff is good quality and you will most likely pay top dollar for it but you’re right, if you ask a Yank about American manufacturing they’ll tell you the quality will most likely be crap.

No worker pride is often the reason given though being from a manufacturing background I’d say it’s probably more to do with less quality control and reduced tolerances to keep the price point down so they can compete with the Asian imports.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-10-2016, 10:30 AM   #18
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Always loved people on this and other forums who say sternly that they would never buy any Chinese junk, never, they'd buy Australian, they'll never buy it.

I always replied that they shouldn't look too closely at the side of the box that their dinki-di true blue Aussie parts or accessories come in...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2016, 10:52 PM   #19
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratmick View Post
I've just put a 2016 Trek MTB on lay-by, pretty sure it's made in Taiwan.

Do I care? Nope

There's more than one MTB brand out of the states that openly admit that they have their carbon fibre frames made in Asia because they simply can't match the quality.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 14-10-2016, 03:18 AM   #20
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Quote:
Bought a rowing machine today and I couldn't believe my eyes. Now that's something you don't see everyday. I stopped what I was doing and I just stared. Then I took a photo!!

It could be referring to the box itself.
Old 14-10-2016, 09:03 AM   #21
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Taiwan makes some of the best consumer Carbon fibre products on the globe. Many western businesses sent their production there some time ago and the Taiwanese learnt quickly and well.

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2016, 10:13 AM   #22
OzriderXR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post
Taiwan makes some of the best consumer Carbon fibre products on the globe. Many western businesses sent their production there some time ago and the Taiwanese learnt quickly and well.

JP
Apparently the leading Carbon Fibre lab in the world is part of Deakin Univesity down Geelong way. Manufacturers from all over the world get their tech and specs from there for various applications.

AUII XR8 200KW
FG MK2 XR6
Mini 850
Rover P5 3 Litre Mk1
OzriderXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2016, 06:11 PM   #23
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This thread made me think of the box when you buy an Apple product:

Designed by Apple in CALIFORNIA

Made in China

I haven't noticed any trends really. Some Chinese things are quality, some are garbage.
Some Australian things are quality, some are garbage.

I haven't had a good experience with American cars though. I do love them, but I am very hesitant to buy one again.

Last edited by Ben73; 14-10-2016 at 06:24 PM.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2016, 03:17 PM   #24
LTD Ute
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I tend to buy only music made in the USA, most other products can be sourced cheaper
and better from other parts of the globe.

XByoot - "Yeah I think the Utes are the new coupes...you get as much rust at a far cheaper price"
LTD Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2016, 04:34 PM   #25
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD Ute View Post
I tend to buy only music made in the USA, most other products can be sourced cheaper
and better from other parts of the globe.
I assume you're buying vintage USA music, then. It's difficult to find good stuff now.