Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-10-2016, 08:17 PM   #1
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Carter TQ + boost = win?

Hi all (sorry mods, we need a carby section) (sorry members, long post)

Got a thermoquad sitting on the shelf off my bronco, only chucked a new holley on because I was in too much of a rush to fix it (was overfueling). Was going to sell it but I now have a need for a double pumper and want to rebuild it for a boosted windsor.

Apparently these are the hardest carb ever to rebuild. Anyone got any tips or will I get full instructions with a rebuild kit, Ive never bought one.

Im pretty sure that the plastic bit is still all good, and Ive tried looking but if it is cracked, can you buy a metal body for it? Was planning on fully boxing it to reduce the chance of blowing it out if I cant get another body (dont think it will last long at 10+psi).

Before anyone bags me out for not spending $1000 on a blow thru bg, edelbrock, or a csu built holley, this is meant to be a super budget build, the motor was stupid cheap and I just want to do something crappy and not care for once! Done 3 and a half bare metal restos in 2 years and Im burnt out with replacing damn bushes and sanding damn primer.

Ive got fuel system sorted with a 1:1 reg and a bosch 044, but I cant wrap my head around why I need the 1:1 if the carb is boxed, wont I just need bigger jets? If the whole thing is pressurised, wouldnt it work as per normal? Never took physics in school. Or maybe I did. Dunno.

Should I care about sealing throttle cable in the box? Apart from adapting a t-b-w system somehow, I dont know how you would seal boost well in the box.

Not much info around on this, I know efi is easier but its too many wires and I dont know and refuse to learn about playing with ecus. At least with a carb and a wideband I can get it damn close myself. Appreciate any input
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2016, 08:32 PM   #2
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Carter TQ + boost = win?

Personally put Thermoquad and Quadrajet together as top carbs little understood by the majority of tuners. Thinking parts supply might be the deal breaker compared to a Holley
sprintman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2016, 08:42 PM   #3
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintman1 View Post
Personally put Thermoquad and Quadrajet together as top carbs little understood by the majority of tuners. Thinking parts supply might be the deal breaker compared to a Holley
I expect you are right. Was planning to just drill the jets and Ive heard of filing the metering rods. The only things I should need new are the floats and perhaps a needle and seat. Which hopefully are available fairly easily
Old 05-10-2016, 10:31 PM   #4
damo76
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if that thermoquad was factory fitted on your bronco, have a look see if its the bigger one. my memories crap but there is a now hard to find thermoquad which has like inch and half primaries instead of the inch and quarter ones from the falcons and mopars.
damo76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-10-2016, 10:33 PM   #5
damo76
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

great carby, tune it by bending the the metering rods and wires ect, they are set and forget, secondaries sound great aswell
damo76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-10-2016, 11:03 PM   #6
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ordered the kit today, no luck with nitrophyl floats though. Apparently you can get drill brass ones and inject a resin so it won't crush. Not sure of the rarity of my carb, I imagine it's the same one from all the way back on clevos so I doubt it's rare. I read about some racing ones that were 1000cfm, they were in mopars though I think