Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-04-2016, 11:05 PM   #31
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 
Default Re: Future of Barra Engine??

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
My argument is, yes Ford has developed advanced EcoBoost Technology with Euro 6 compliance ect ect ect.
It is amazingly efficient and powerful and I take nothing away from it.
Here comes the but,
Buuuuttttt.
Why isn't all the EcoBoost Technology they have, applied to the I6 Motor?
The hard work has been done and the research dollars spent in developing the V6 engines.
You would be just applying that knowledge to a different block which is going to give you amazing results.
The packaging of the I6 is were it will hurt it. Everything else can be achieved.
Old 29-04-2016, 11:20 PM   #32
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Loving that little Windsor in all the pics. The Honey Badger of the Ford engine world.
Old 30-04-2016, 12:01 AM   #33
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt View Post
The packaging of the I6 is were it will hurt it. Everything else can be achieved.
My thoughts exactly, great motor,but... these days people don't even know how to lock a door in a car without central locking.. you know, close the door with the lock down and handle up(that was my game with apprentices for years up until I got into a ranger). Its all about packaging these days. People often cant see further then the tip of their nose, let alone a bonnet. It ***** me to tears that some people can't reverse park if the car doesnt tell them to stop, let alone tell them that their front proximity is too close to the car in front. Last time I checked they're call eyes. I think the concensus is to package the motor and drive train (ie together) to reduce overall engine bay size and make the cars physically shorter with more interior room and less stuff up front. Parking spots are getting smaller, but they still aren't that hard to negotiate with those silly wing mirrors are they?
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2016, 02:00 AM   #34
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
My thoughts exactly, great motor,but... these days people don't even know how to lock a door in a car without central locking.. you know, close the door with the lock down and handle up(that was my game with apprentices for years up until I got into a ranger). Its all about packaging these days. People often cant see further then the tip of their nose, let alone a bonnet. It ***** me to tears that some people can't reverse park if the car doesnt tell them to stop, let alone tell them that their front proximity is too close to the car in front. Last time I checked they're call eyes. I think the concensus is to package the motor and drive train (ie together) to reduce overall engine bay size and make the cars physically shorter with more interior room and less stuff up front. Parking spots are getting smaller, but they still aren't that hard to negotiate with those silly wing mirrors are they?
Okay look, there was once a day when people had to crank their cars manually to start them, nobody knows how to do that anymore cause it's easier with a starter motor these days. Same thing goes for senors, yea your eyes are plenty enough for a well designed little golf, but don't you tell me parallel parking a fairlane in the CBD is a piece of **** without sensors. I wouldn't even attempt parallel parking this car in a tight space without my rear sensors to help me.

And there's 2 simple reasons why this engine had to die :
1) It's impossible to package without a massive engine bay, so it's not a versatile engine that can go in multiple cars. Hence it's just in terry's and falcons
2) Have you looked at your fuel bill recently!? There's no single way you could look at it and not call it one hell of a thirsty engine. Now Australia has cheap gas, so does the US, but literally everywhere else gas is a lot costlier. It's $1.80/L in NZ and a lot higher in Europe. So try selling a car with this engine overseas... you won't get very far.

Now I love the Barra as much as the rest of you, and I don't think anything will quite match the bullet proof tank nature of this engine, and the beautiful torque delivery it has. The Turbo I6s will forever go down as among the greatest engines ever made, but we've just got to come to terms with the fact that the world is running out of oil and until we can make a Barra run on water, it's time to let it die.

"If in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae
"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you"
"Cheap, fast and reliable. Pick Two"

Qwerty321 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 30-04-2016, 11:56 AM   #35
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty321 View Post
Okay look, there was once a day when people had to crank their cars manually to start them, nobody knows how to do that anymore cause it's easier with a starter motor these days. Same thing goes for senors, yea your eyes are plenty enough for a well designed little golf, but don't you tell me parallel parking a fairlane in the CBD is a piece of **** without sensors. I wouldn't even attempt parallel parking this car in a tight space without my rear sensors to help me.
Honestly that's a cop out. there were big (and bigger) cars in the past well before sensors, people parked them just fine. Fact is people are lazy/stupid these days, and when something easier comes along they become lazier and stupider.

I've on many an occasion parked my LTD (no sensors) in a spot 'given up on' as too hard by a corolla or <insert other tiny econobox here> driver.

You know (or are supposed to) how big your car is, you shouldn't need to see the rear bumper to know where it is in relation to the rest of the car you can see (it doesn't move around).

What would you do if your sensors were broken and you didn't know it. keep reversing until the crunch? Or they're dirty/obscured and going off constantly?

Ford Performance Club of ACT
data_mine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 30-04-2016, 12:35 PM   #36
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do you drive an auto? How lazy/stupid of you, to use your own words.

Nothing wrong with using new tech to make life easier. I bet you're not using dialup and trumpet winsock anymore....
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-04-2016, 12:57 PM   #37
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm not sure how much of it is to make cars smaller and easier to drive/park. I always found my Corolla much harder to park than my Falcon or Pathfinder, and while I can do it without my camera and sensors, i'd still rather do it with them.

Smaller, just as powerful or even more powerful engine, save weight, use less fuel, that's what it will be about.

I use escalators and lifts even though I am capable of walking up stairs without them, I use a remote control on my TV even though I am capable of getting up to change channels and adjust volume. I use my mobile phone even though I am capable of going to see someone to talk to them, and I sure as hell am going to be using whatever tech my car comes with to make life easier.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2016, 01:03 PM   #38
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Nothing wrong with using new tech to make life easier.
True - I'm all for tech (I'm in the industry), as long as you don't become reliant on it - incapable of doing things without the assistance.

I can drive a manual,
I'm sure I could get a SLIP connection working again if I had to and tell you how fast the modem synced at from the noise it made (but to where?),
I can parallel park my car (or 3T truck) without beepers or cameras, and
I can build with wood/metal/electronics so I can make stuff and fix stuff.

I never want to be so reliant on some tech or some service that I can get on with life if it were to break, be unavailable, or be stuck with a car/truck without such features.

Easy life is fine while it's available, not that I'm some survivalist weirdo, but what happens when the easy life isn't available. I like to think I'll make do.

Ford Performance Club of ACT
data_mine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2016, 02:33 PM   #39
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OK, noticed the consensus for small turbo direct injection petrols, so I'll throw this into the discussion: what about the carbon build up issues in these engines that you don't get in an inline 6? Eg. VW/Audi 1.4, 3.0 & 3.6 SIDI. Carbon fouling gets to the stage where the motor is compromised with surprisingly low k's on it...
Old 30-04-2016, 02:49 PM   #40
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This link is a good visual explanation of why the DI engines build up carbon, and how it is labour intensive to correct the build up once it reaches a certain stage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS8riAae_bM

via Deutsche Auto Parts
Old 30-04-2016, 04:02 PM   #41
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A Turbo Barra with some next generation love spent on it could have also been used in the F Series Trucks and a Lincoln or two if Ford was serious about strengthening that brand. A re-badged Taurus does little.

I thought the whole idea of a successful business was to highlight positive differences between you and your opposition. Most Motor Vehicle Companies have a garden variety V6, whilst only higher end prestige brands look at I6 Motors.

Opps I forgot that would involve marketing.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2016, 05:44 PM   #42
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Could have, but that doesn't make it a good idea. If you take the V6 out of F series, you may as well say goodbye to all Ford 6 cylinders. And what for, just to keep the I6 going along? F series sales give the production numbers and sales to justify continued development in the engine, which can then filter down to passenger cars.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2016, 10:00 PM   #43
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by data_mine View Post
Honestly that's a cop out. there were big (and bigger) cars in the past well before sensors, people parked them just fine. Fact is people are lazy/stupid these days, and when something easier comes along they become lazier and stupider.

I've on many an occasion parked my LTD (no sensors) in a spot 'given up on' as too hard by a corolla or <insert other tiny econobox here> driver.

You know (or are supposed to) how big your car is, you shouldn't need to see the rear bumper to know where it is in relation to the rest of the car you can see (it doesn't move around).

What would you do if your sensors were broken and you didn't know it. keep reversing until the crunch? Or they're dirty/obscured and going off constantly?
What would I do if my sensors are broken? Stick my head out the drivers side window (if it's really tricky), judge where my boot ends using brake light reflection or just use general eye distance judgement when reverse parking (I always reverse park) or parallel parking. That's what I did for a while when I accidentally turned my "beep" volume down to zero and thought my sensors were broken. Just cause I CAN do something the hard way doesn't mean I have to do it there hard way. Parking is a hell of a lot easier with sensors and if I come across a tight parallel park on a main street I just go to the side alley a 1 minute walk away and park there instead. I just prefer to not sit there stressing out and growing grey hair cause I'm trying to parallel park in the middle of a crowded street with traffic piling up behind me. I have no doubt I can pull off the parallel park (especially with sensors), I've done it many times when there is no side alley near by, but if theres an easier option nearby I'm definitely going there instead.

"If in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae
"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you"
"Cheap, fast and reliable. Pick Two"

Qwerty321 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2016, 10:13 AM   #44
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by data_mine View Post
coyote vs. windsor

the windsor is kinda tiny.
That's a bit like a big fish Photo.. hold it out in front for effect.
but I get your point the twin cam heads make it larger.
Coyote is 740 Long x 786 tall x 675 wide.
I couldn't find specs for the Barra but I recon it would be taller and definitely longer
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post