Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 02-05-2016, 01:09 AM   #1
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default a few interesting questions

hi

a few intresting questions

1. back 20-30 years ago people were prepared to wait for things and not have it all at once or start with secondhand furniture for example and work up and work for things, now some not everyone want it all at once and dont want to work for anything or borrow lots instead of borrowing some saving some or borrowing some paying some off then adding things to old loans and building up. whys that?

2. younger people again not everyone go out partying night before even though they know they have to work next day or are lazy on jobs. whys that?

3. with the talk of welfare card for certain ones not allowing alcohol, ciggies and go to atm machine, why do some have a problem with it, would alot of it be because they cant pay cash for second hand stuff at markets and gumtree or be able to buy food at markets and stuff or want their ciggies?

4. why do some people go through so many boyfriends or girlfriends in a short time these days same goes with school kids? is it because of question 1 they want it now and rush into it and dont get to know the person properly

Last edited by car10002; 02-05-2016 at 01:15 AM.
car10002 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2016, 01:31 AM   #2
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: a few interesting questions

1. It's more widely available. Why waste money on second hand items when you can get basically all furniture new and in a year or a bit you can own it.

2. A few years ago, I used to go out Thursday Friday night and be awake all night and straight into work. I don't think this has changed, my parents tell me similar stories about them growing up.

3. Why should the government tell you how to spend your money. (I'm not on Centrelink)

4. I don't think this has changed much, not everyone is suited to be together.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2016, 02:20 AM   #3
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

4. was talking about the people on welfare

1. when you say want it now it includes people wanting to get to places now not in a minute, you hear horns blasting all time in shops. also why do some people get more impatient than before
Old 02-05-2016, 03:30 AM   #4
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled View Post
1. It's more widely available. Why waste money on second hand items when you can get basically all furniture new and in a year or a bit you can own it.

2. A few years ago, I used to go out Thursday Friday night and be awake all night and straight into work. I don't think this has changed, my parents tell me similar stories about them growing up.

3. Why should the government tell you how to spend your money. (I'm not on Centrelink)

4. I don't think this has changed much, not everyone is suited to be together.
Without getting too involved in the subject I’d basically agree with each point as you’ve addressed them.

Employees and the unemployed haven’t changed much since when I entered the workforce, there are those that are highly motivated, there are those that are high achievers and on the other side of the coin there are extremely lazy people who want everything given to them, there are people who are just unlucky in life and there are a million different variations in between those extremes.

When people focus or take a ‘down the nose’ look at what others are doing what I’m interested in knowing is what is their age and socioeconomic standing as some people believe everyone should be like them or they’re get caught in the ‘it was better in the old days’ syndrome.

I’m 56 and retired and grew up in small isolated town and don’t believe much has changed except these days we are far more informed of what’s going on around us and the world is a much smaller place because of technology.

The biggest change I see impacting at the moment is the easy availability of some seriously nasty drugs that snare and destroy lives that now compete with the traditional alcohol damage of years gone by.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2016, 08:28 AM   #5
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by car10002 View Post
hi

a few interesting questions

1. back 20-30 years ago people were prepared to wait for things and not have it all at once or start with secondhand furniture for example and work up and work for things, now some not everyone want it all at once and dont want to work for anything or borrow lots instead of borrowing some saving some or borrowing some paying some off then adding things to old loans and building up. whys that?

Money is easier to get is the simplest answer. The restrictions on lending in the mid '80s when I started lending meant yoiu had to save before you could borrow. Now, not so much.

2. younger people again not everyone go out partying night before even though they know they have to work next day or are lazy on jobs. whys that?

Because you can. It was a real badge of honour in my early working days at the CBA to:
  • Go to work after an all nighter clubbing or playing cards
  • Be too drunk to continue work after a Christmas chicken and champagne breakfast.

And no one seemed to care that much.

3. with the talk of welfare card for certain ones not allowing alcohol, ciggies and go to atm machine, why do some have a problem with it, would a lot of it be because they can't pay cash for second hand stuff at markets and gumtree or be able to buy food at markets and stuff or want their ciggies?

Finding a way to ensure that people are restricted from gasmbling or drinking their money away (and the requiring further assistance from other welfare agencies) is great in theory. Hard to see how you implement it fairly without catching those who don't need to be caught.

4. why do some people go through so many boyfriends or girlfriends in a short time these days same goes with school kids? is it because of question 1 they want it now and rush into it and dont get to know the person properly

It is another form of 'see, want, have' mentality that goes with Q1. I never had much game with the ladies and found this bit difficult. Happy with the one I eventually caught, though (20 years this year).

Hope this helps

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-05-2016, 11:19 AM   #6
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hi

my first home was 20 years ago so I fall in to the back category not now, but I wonder if quality of furniture etc was better back then as well as price

The reason I say this is we used a 2nd hand lounge that had been used by my wife's grandmother originally for who knows how many years then my wifes cousin then us then my wifes brother it was a pretty ordanary looking thing that was trimmed in what could best be described as short grey loop carpet

but I tell you what it was solid and easy care so I think quality had a to do with it, as I don't know how many even high end lounges could do the service this lounge did I think its still in the back room at my BIL's house

Also price, we had a hand me down TV when we kicked off becasue a TV was expencive our 1st TV we purchased our selfs was an 80cm CRT that cost me $1,500 on special doesn't sound like much but in 1998 it was a lot of money and an 80cm TV would be like $500 today

So I'm thinking price and quality are reasons you just start out with new now (and as was mentioned before money is easy to borrow now)

I don't think this had changed much in the late 80's early 90's I used to see on average 5 bands a week and work the next day, many times driving from the venue to the carpark behind where I worked where I would sleep until 1/2hour before I started when I'd rush in have a shower and break fast and go to work

3. with the talk of welfare card for certain ones not allowing alcohol, ciggies and go to atm machine, why do some have a problem with it, would alot of it be because they cant pay cash for second hand stuff at markets and gumtree or be able to buy food at markets and stuff or want their ciggies?

if we're talking welfare, its your and my money they're spending, I'd prefer to see it spent on food and keeping a roof over the family's head's over smokes and **** any day. if your on welfare between jobs (under 6months sort of thing) I don't see a need but if your a career welfare recipient I think this is a good thing

I dont know the answer here but I dont really have a problem if its to get to know the person before you lock down with a few kids

I look at one of my mates who's on his 3rd wife (yes wife not defacto) and has kids with all 3 he tries hard and his ex's are very accommodating for him to be a big part of his kids life but it has to be hard on the kids

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2016, 11:20 AM   #7
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
4. was talking about the people on welfare

1. when you say want it now it includes people wanting to get to places now not in a minute, you hear horns blasting all time in shops. also why do some people get more impatient than before
Question 4 still can apply to anyone, I don't think people on welfare are any different to people who aren't, people still break up and people still have kids to multiple fathers. I just think the media pick on people wo are on welfare as they are easy targets.

People have always been in a rush and that has not changed. I think it's just the way people shop and where shops are located has changed. With the popularity of massive shopping centres everyone goes to one central location to do shopping where years ago smaller shops were spread out over the place.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:37 PM   #8
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why do some younger ones want it all now
Old 02-05-2016, 12:53 PM   #9
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Because the older ones have ensured there'll be nothing for them by the time they're older?
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2016, 01:13 PM   #10
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Patience comes with age.

When you're young time drags on and goes so slowly, who remembers how long it took for school holidays to come when you were in school?

It felt like eternity between school holidays, even at school time dragged on, it felt like a week going from 9AM to 3:15PM.

Now I get to work, look at the clock again and its 6PM and time flies by, we're already in May as well.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2016, 01:41 PM   #11
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
hi

1. Some new furniture can be almost as cheap as second hand furniture, it is just not as good quality.
When I was 21 I bought my first house. I filled the house with decent quality brand new furniture. Did not finance any of it since I had enough cash from working hard.

As for cars, new car finance is quite cheap these days. No wonder so many people take advantage of it when they can get a new car with modern features and modern safety equipment.

2. Some people do party too hard before work, but this is not just young people. At my work place everyone who has failed the breath test has been aged over 35. Half the work place are under 35 though.

3. I don't like that some welfare scum bags waste our money on cigs, booze and gambling. But not everyone on welfare are this stupid. As you said just because someone on welfare wants cash, doesn't mean they will be blowing it on stupid things.
I don't support a welfare card even though I hate dole bludgers that blow money.

4. Meh who cares how many partners others go through. Personally I haven't been though many, but I have mates who have had eight girlfriends in the time period I have had two.
Probably doesn't help he has met is last few on Tinder. Not a place to find a long term relationship, but he keeps trying.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2016, 05:26 PM   #12
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If something new is available why settle for something second hand. You can get brand new for roughly the same price as second hand today.

Look at this sofa it's $199.00 brand new. May no be the most comfortable thing and probably not even good quality but it is brand new.

http://www.fantasticfurniture.com.au...OF2STQKDEUSMOC