Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 10-10-2015, 10:22 PM   #31
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Re: Tesla's Powerwall home battery is coming to Australia in 2015

I have registered my interest.

My need is a little different. I'm building a house that is on the big side and it is at the rear end of a battle axe block. At least 90m to the street.

The fool that chopped up the block into 3 decided to save some coin by running single phase to all 3 blocks and 3 phone lines in the ONE 50mm pipe.

He then ran the phone up and in the private pole and just left it there all concreted at the base and no way to access the phone. Doesn't matter - neither Optus or Telstra can connect the phone from the pole anyway apparently.

So, I have a few issues in terms of my services. The phone problem is quite easy to solve as I will just run a new conduit under my (yet to be built) driveway section, then in the drain grate of the existing common driveway and up the garden bed to the street. This is what my neighbour has just done.

Power is the big problem. Single phase! No way to run the extra wiring, and to run 3 phase from scratch would mean a lot of excavation work... and the price was a little on the high side.

No matter, we have filled the place with LED down lights and even used 3 separate AC systems to split the load.

We have installed a Thermann tube HWS and a gas cook top. Heating is via a centrally located fire place rated to 280sqm. We have been advised that we should also install a gas oven as by the time we have a few fridges hooked up, one AC on, a TV on and say a few rooms downstairs on the oven my trip the power. (or the microwave, or the toaster, or any other small appliance that uses a fair deal of power).

So.... I'm wondering. Could this battery pack provide short bursts (say 2-3 hrs) of power to supplement the grid power and create a more stable supply when the load increases? I have been advised that even the 90m distance from the street would have created a drop in the strength of the supply to our place.

It says it can be charged when power is off peak - so I assume it could be set up to trickle charge during the day or off solar (we haven't installed any panels) then be ready to use when needed.

Anyone with any understanding of the numbers mentioned in the article know if this would work for my situation???

We actually don't use all that much power in the unit we are living in at the moment - apparently myself, my wife and my daughter use LESS than a single person on average. Having said that - the new place is 7 bedrooms and I don't want to keep blowing switches when we invite a whole bunch of friends or family over to stay for the weekend.

This could work??? Perhaps?

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post