Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 30-08-2015, 08:30 PM   #1
johntolhurst

Default choice of ute

Its come down to these two:
http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...-3533447/?Cr=4

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/de...-3892431/?Cr=1

One is a year younger but 130k more on the clock. The other is a nice looking AU.

Is the AU the better choice?
Old 30-08-2015, 10:07 PM   #2
Ford Falcon XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: choice of ute

Trust me mate go the Au
I went from an Xh (with 230,000k's) into my current Ba Mk2 with (140,000k's) its been the biggest pile of crap I've ever owned. The Xh was 10x the car. The ba is going on the market soon once it's sold i'll be back in another AU!!!
I had my Au Xr6 sedan as a daily for 4 years and did 80,000k's it never missed a beat.
In 2000k's in my ba I've had to already change coils, TPS and the fuse panel due to the broken bonnet release. NOT saying all Ba falcons are bad but it's just my experience.
Ford Falcon XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2015, 10:12 PM   #3
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by johntolhurst View Post
Its come down to these two:
http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...-3533447/?Cr=4

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/de...-3892431/?Cr=1

One is a year younger but 130k more on the clock. The other is a nice looking AU.

Is the AU the better choice?
Yeah on KMs alone I would pick the AU.
Old 30-08-2015, 10:14 PM   #4
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

That's easy, AU hands down. Less kms, easier to work on, cheap to fix, last of the old school fords with individual components that can be changed and fixed without having to buy half a dash board if the cd player or AC fails etc. None of that fly by wire crap either plus they're the last of the breed and pretty much bullet proof if maintained to even a basic level.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-08-2015, 11:42 PM   #5
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

With all the utes available, if your choice has come down to these two, I suggest you see a doctor as you appear to have a case of split-personality.
You've identified two completely different cars. Perhaps its best to decide what you WANT first, then look again.

The AU is somebody's toy. Big rims, hard cover, low profile tyres. Either a very low km daily driver or a weekend toy.

The BA is a workhorse: Tray back, e-Gas engine, steel rims. Chalk and Cheese.

What are you looking for a ute for? If you're a brickie looking to haul your gear around to jobs, go the BA.
If you're looking for a daily, or a weekend toy that will occasionally carry a load, go the AU.
Old 31-08-2015, 12:11 AM   #6
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

AU hands down be stupid not to.
Old 31-08-2015, 10:13 AM   #7
johntolhurst

I think you are right is the AU at a bitt over 100 k that has more life in it.

I worry about the low profile tyres.

I need to lock some tools on the tray the au cover is lockable. Overnight I can garage it.

The workhorse is more practical for visiting the site. But no tool storage.

Yeah I probably should get a 4 cylinder dual cab. But most are manual at under $5k. And they all look so tired.

Being clear about what I need is the challenge.
Old 31-08-2015, 10:35 AM   #8
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Not hard to change the wheels.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 31-08-2015, 07:21 PM   #9
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Funny how both of those cars are being advertised as XLS's.

The BA is a XL
The AU is a SE (special edition XL)

The AU for sure. Nice colour is Barossa Red
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2015, 11:08 AM   #10
johntolhurst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher View Post
Not hard to change the wheels.
Hmm ... I'd be able to swap them with my standard 2008FG wheels I guess?
Old 01-09-2015, 11:10 AM   #11
johntolhurst

I guess I am split personality. I'm building a house and need a workhorse, but I'd like to keep the car after that. Maybe swap the wheels with the FG, use the lockable cover while I'm carting tools to site, change the cover for a tradie rack once I can lock tools on site, then replace the locakble cover and the wheels when the house is done. See ... I think I've talked myself into it.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:14 PM   #12
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The low miles au looks hard to pass up ,
on the other hand the later one is on gas which wouldn't be a bad thing, but the highish k`s , i would be thinking that in the next 5 years if you where going to keep it that long there may be some coin needed in more expensive repairs, .......... possibly/auto/diff, head gasket/brakes ???
my thought train is, assuming the au is in good order / been maintained properly,
the au might have a lot of life left in it before any major dough needs spending on it, but in any second handy its a bit of a russian roulette how they turn out, good luck with your choice.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post