Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-08-2015, 10:06 PM   #1
Falcon_Crazy
PX3 WildTrak & RTV

Default That New Car versus saying goodbye to ya old one...

I should be really excited about getting a new ute, but it’s always sad when you know your current ride is about to leave you.
Maybe I get too attached, but lets face it, we are all “motor enthusiasts” and some just don’t get it. Recently, I became “Falconless” when I sold my XR6T Ute. Was hard decision, my heart wanted to keep it, but I just wasn’t driving it, and as much as I loved the limited kays I did in it, I just couldn’t have that coin in my driveway. So I’m sad already.
Now, ive got a new PX2 Ranger XLT on way – but I love my PX1. Anyone who is a fan of the Man From Snowy River 2 will know the scene where ‘Criag’, after mustering a good mob of horses on his trusty old mate, leaves him in his yard, and heads off “too teach a new one”. That’s how I will feel with my “Stu” in a few weeks – taking my new PX2 on a 70000km trip to “break him in”.

All of my rides have had an adventure – from my XF and our first run into Outback Australia, my lap in the RTV, my FG clocked up the miles on east coast..and the XR6T, whilst low on mileage, was fast and fun.

I still tell stories about hitting a roo here, losing it on a dirt road in the XF back of Boggabri when I round the same bend, having the XF off the clock on the Stuart Highway in the “good ol days”, places blokes in Toyotas couldn’t believe the RTV got…and then other “fun” times I just smile to myself about.
I’ve sold cars to people I know and watched them destroy them, watched a young guy pick up my AU2 XLS ute and smile like there was not tomorrow. When I sold the RTV to a bloke, I regretted it…so many memories that meant nothing to him.

They’re just cars right? Maybe, maybe not. Maybe I’m too sentimental – Christ knows on my first overseas trip and 10,000 mile roadtrip I wasn’t sentimental about the Kia coke can – couldn’t wait to get out of the POS! That said, the trip was awesome – but I soooo wanted to be in my PX, or better still, have done it in my RTV.

When was your first “car” memory? Mine was driving, at 3, my old mans Chrysler down the driveway, over the road and thru neighbours fence! But then there is the moment in the XD Fairmont, at 5, when I declared when I was older I was going to own a Falcon. The roadtrip Dad and I did up the New England on our first Dad and son trip – Dad sitting “Didn’t know about that” at 140km/h. Or when he let me drive around a state forest at 14 in his EA Falcon S Pack.

I could sit here and talk all night. Next week, I will be taking Stu on his last road trip with me. When I get back, pull into my drive, write it up in my log book…I might just sit in the driver’s seat for a bit longer with the motor off, radio off…just recall the 150,000km – the dust, the sideways action – the jumping action across the Simpson – the mud, the fun. Then, I will go out to the backyard and hug my cattle dog Clancy. If ever I will appreciate the distraction, it’s a cattle dog one.
BA Falcon RTV - Project Ute 265,000km
Sold PXII Ranger XLT Cool White. 105,000
Sold PX Ranger XLT in cool white, 151,700km on clock.
Sold FGII XR6T Ute LTD Edition in Kinetic.
Sold FG XR6 Ute
Sold BA Falcon RTV. 251,300km.Was a great mate for last 7 years

Sold AUII XLS Ute
Sold '85 XF & Crashed 84 XF
Falcon_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2015, 02:06 PM   #2
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: That New Car versus saying goodbye to ya old one...

Yes you do get attached to cars, my beat up old au has been the rock of the family, and 180,000 k`s of memories like no other car in my lifetime,
the last couple of years the terrible thought of buying something newer for no other reason than old cars require a bit more tlc than new cars,
and my failing health doesnt help when you have always done any work required yourself,
but that is getting harder with each year, but so far i just the thought of the old girl being not in my driveway has kept my resolve to hang on to the beloved family cruiser for another year .
Good luck with new cruiser and new memories that come with it.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 14-08-2015, 02:25 PM   #3
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some cars I miss dearly along with the memories they evoke, others I couldn't see the back off quickly enough. They were all Fords, mostly Falcons, and most were great, with some not so great. the thing is it's only when you come to part with them or have already done so and are driving your new dream that you realise just how good or bad some were.
Enjoy your new beast , may it bring you many happy memories.
GT450
GT450 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2015, 02:46 PM   #4
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Great thread!

I remember my 2003 BA GTP - best car I had owned up until the time I sold her in 2012. It was my pride and joy and gave me some memorable moments.

When Steve, he's a Forum member, came to drive her away I was quietly crying. Didn't realise I was so emotionally attached to that car.

My wife, God bless her, then gave permission later that year to buy the R-Spec; that's my current "best car I have ever owned"!!

Hope you enjoy your new ride and have just as many memorable moments!
Old 14-08-2015, 03:03 PM   #5
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Well said FC, you have summed it up for loads of people on here and other places too.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-08-2015, 03:08 PM   #6
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Had about 16 or so cars i've got rid of and although I loved most of them at the time, the only one I had trouble with selling was a 68 GT Mustang back in 2001. I'd bought it and restored it mostly with my own hands, (didn't do the panel/spray paint or auto transmission rebuild). I virtually knew every single bolt on that thing.

New house/kids etc put pressure on having it so I put it up for sale. A guy who had just had a payout from crashing his Harley and permanently damaged his arm wanted to buy it, when the final decision hit me, felt like my heart was being ripped out, I just couldn't let it go so I reluctantly told the guy how I felt.

A week later, I received a letter from him, afraid to open it as I fully expected a load of abuse but on the contrary, he wrote a lovely letter telling me he totally understood how I felt and how he feels the same about bikes which he had lost and could no longer ride.

About 18 months later I did end up having to sell it but I got over that.

About 2 years ago, I went to the local Mustang show, hoping to spot my old steed and saw an immaculate blue 68GT fastback, crawled under and over it to see how it was restored, smick factory resto, just like I did (many just aren't like that), complimented the owner and asked if he'd ever seen my red one, low and behold it was the Harley guy, top bloke!
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 14-08-2015, 07:15 PM   #7
XG_Falcon

Yep I still remember my EB. The lessons learned and money burned
XG_Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2015, 07:24 PM   #8
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was never into cars. My dad ran a radiator repair shop in Sydney when I was growing up, and being around them all the time, I dunno, it didn't rub off on me.

Even so, the $200 old Corolla my brother bought for me, I spent my school holidays fixing it up while working in his workshop. I got attached to it and was really looking forward to having it in top shape. The fates conspired against me and I never did end up with it.

Hardest to give up was another Corolla. It was my mother's car and she gave it to me just before she died. Yeah, Corollas are pretty boring, but it did drive nicely, I put in a decent stereo, I was happy with it, and it had that attachment. The hail storm in November last year wrote it off.

Now I have my Falcon. I don't know how attached to it I am right now, but it's hell fun to drive, and I think now I'm finally developing an interest in cars!
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2015, 07:40 PM   #9
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

You've pretty much summed up exactly how I feel about my Wagon!
It's been part of my life for 12 years now, long before I had my licence.

Went on many family holidays in it, learnt to drive in it, got my licence in it, bought it, cared for it, driven it, modified it................. the list could go on endlessly. So many adventures and good times.
And I intend to keep it going, and soon hope to get the RTV conversion done.

Couldn't sell it. Worth too much to me and far too little to others.
OffRoadFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 14-08-2015, 07:50 PM   #10
HULK_I6T
Banned

I'm the opposite...

I just move on from cars, cold as that

I see it as an opportunity to get another new car

I've seen off a supercharged boss, multiple xr6ts, cammed LS1, over 10 other modded V8s.. All mint cars.

I enjoy my modded cars, fond memories but when I move on that's it.... Do I wish I had one last drive.....nup

Last week I sold my territory, day before bought a brand new Aurion.. Don't look back. Soon my mint xr6t with 7900km might be going.. Top car but when it's gone, just move on.

Yes it's cold but that's it.
HULK_I6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2015, 12:14 AM   #11
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I only have one regret in life and that's selling my AUII Fairmont Ghia. At the time it seemed like a good idea but when I drove away and left her there it just didn't feel right. That car took me everywhere, even places cars like that shouldn't be able to go (young and dumb) and she always got me home.

I came across the car in a tyre shop and I offered the elderly gentleman who now owns it a price to buy it back off him but he politely refused, saying it's the best car he's owned. But he took my number in case he changes his mind.

I don't know if it changes as you get older, but my cars for me so far have taken me on so many adventures and have made so many memories in them that they are an integral part of my life so far. My first car was the car I learnt to drive in, the second was my P plate car and my first taste of true freedom and the ute is my first ever ute, many warm summer nights spent in the tray. If I could have id have kept them all.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-08-2015, 08:38 AM   #12
290GTP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP534 View Post
Great thread!

I remember my 2003 BA GTP - best car I had owned up until the time I sold her in 2012. It was my pride and joy and gave me some memorable moments.

When Steve, he's a Forum member, came to drive her away I was quietly crying. Didn't realise I was so emotionally attached to that car.

My wife, God bless her, then gave permission later that year to buy the R-Spec; that's my current "best car I have ever owned"!!

Hope you enjoy your new ride and have just as many memorable moments!
I imagine buying your R Spec would have eased the pain somewhat Jim. Although number 534 does have a certain character about it.
I haven't driven it for ages and I must admit have toyed with the idea of selling but I know I would miss it too much for that to happen. Im driving it up to Wollongong today so that's guaranteed to rekindle the love.

Mercury Silver 03 BA GT-P Tremec TR3650 Number 534

Herrod 4 into ones, Manta Exhaust, CAI, K&N Filter, Mellings oil pump, 19" FPV alloys, Bilsteins, Kings, tuned by Autotech, 272rwkw

RIP Fish 15/1/73 - 9/2/19
290GTP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2015, 10:55 AM   #13
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All the best Steve.

That car I think was one of the better ones; I remember the salesman took it for a drive just after I got the Herrod exhaust fitted and he commented the car felt particularly tight and just felt solid.

I take the R-Spec out every Sunday morning for a run and she never fails to bring a smile to my face!
Old 15-08-2015, 12:20 PM   #14
nitro50th

The only car I ever regret selling was my XD, which was also my first car.

I bought it as a 250 six and one day decided I wanted a V8 in the engine bay.

After months of gathering all the stuff required for a conversion (including a freshly rebuilt 351), with the help of family members it was finally nestled in there and ready to rock.

The ultimate bonding moment was when we turned the key and that V8 roared into life for the first time (made even better with bugger all exhaust). That just put the biggest smile on my dial and set that car as my all time favourite and one I will never forget.
nitro50th is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-08-2015, 01:06 PM   #15
snopony

First car memory was burning my bum sitting in mums xy with black vinyl seats wearing shorts. And the belt clasps being like a hotplate to touch.
snopony is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 16-08-2015, 12:45 AM   #16
HULK_I6T
Banned

Life is about looking forward...not back.

Even in the automotive world...new cars make old cars mediocre by comparison. Look forward, upgrade your car and enjoy.
HULK_I6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2015, 01:11 AM   #17
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

FC ... I'm sure I'll bump into you soon enough on an early morning at work ... can't wait to see the new Ranger when you get it at least.

Still wish I had my AU ute ... was a good ute that kept coming back for more. Love my Territory as well ... even though it's a bit tired ... I can't see myself letting it go either. Would have to say it's the best vehicle I have owned.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2015, 02:13 AM   #18
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_I6T View Post

Even in the automotive world...new cars make old cars mediocre by comparison. Look forward, upgrade your car and enjoy.
Not always. AU handles better than a BA for example.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2015, 02:32 AM   #19
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's not so much what the car gives me, it's more a case of what I give the car.
That's what creates the bond, and no, I'm not talking about money. But I know, that if you do your best by the car, it will do it's best for you.
That applies to my first car, a non running gift from Dad, his old rust bucket AP6 wagon, to my current FG XR6 CC Ute. I figure I'll be driving the FG for at
least another 10 years, until such relics will be forced off the road by 'Robot Cars'.
Yeah, I'll buy a Robot Car, but wont have anything to do, it will service itself.
Cars as we know them will go the way of horse drawn carriage.
Until then, yippee. Enjoy it while you can.
2010 FG XR6 I6 CC Ute, Nitro colour. lsd, sports suspension, Ford 18's fitted with Michelin Primacy 3 ST 245x45x18, MW Quick Shifter, Pacemaker 4500 Extractors, Carbuilders Soundproofing, KPM Street Fighter CAI
Madaya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2015, 02:57 AM   #20
Gothefalcon
FAWD - No Boundaries
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: He takes long trips in his AWD Falcon & where ever he goes he sets out to meet forum members at various destinations. He does this without expectation of any sort. I have had the pleasure of spending time with Dhru on two of his separate trips and his gre Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The excellent write ups in your BF AWD Falcon Wagon thread 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_I6T View Post

I'll look forward to my new Fairlane V8 then... Oh !! Hang on !
Best I look forward to my new Falcon Wagon then... Oh !!

Hmmm.... might have to hang on to them for a while longer yet, me thinks !?

D

22 DJR Shell V-Power Mustang Eskymobile (my first EV)
07 BF2 AWD Falcon Wagon (Daily driver)
04 BA Falcon 1Tonner Ute (New Project)
03 BA Falcon Wagon (Spare)
98 NL Fairlane Ghia V8 (Weekend cruiser)
70 VG paddock racer (Cain it til it breaks.. fix it.. Cain it all over again !)
Gothefalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 16-08-2015, 02:19 PM   #21
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

This thread has severe lack of pics, so I'll start it with my old ride:

My first V8 powered ride, it came into the workshop I was working in a few years ago for some repairs, I asked my manager if it was for sale and it was, I got it for $14K with roady and 6 months rego left, siren and lights still functional, I took out the siren and spray painted the lights black without masking them up cause cbf lol.

Unfortunately due to retarded P plate laws I couldn't drive it legally at the time as it was considered 'high powered vehicle' because of V8, I used to drive it around locally on all the back streets without any P plates up taking it around for a thrash or I got the old man to drive it to get stuff from Bunnings as it was pretty handy cause you could stack heaps of **** in the back.

I had bought a Cummins 6BT to replace the Detroit 6.5L V8 with:

Cause the Detroit sucks balls and the replacement by AM General (P400) for the 6.5 was $15K at the time (now its $7K, ******* assholes, at $7K I would have gone for it)

Sold it for $19K.

Would throw that $5K in the bin to have it back, thats for sure, its the only car I've had that I regret selling, I couldn't give a **** about any my other cars really.

My Falcons or Focus, couldn't give a rats *** if I stacked them or sold them.

That mud on the sidewalls in the first pic was from when I tried to spin it 180 degrees in a wet grassy area instead of 3 point turn, I punched it, and it slid on a 45 degree angle for about 30m before sinking in and getting bogged instead of spinning around 180 degrees like planned

It used a ******** of fuel, averaging around 20-25L/100km on the highway, it cost over $150 to fill, but **** it was cool.

Hauled *** for what it was, it'd smash a Mercedes Sprinter ambulance in a race
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2015, 02:20 PM   #22
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon_Crazy View Post
I should be really excited about getting a new ute, but it’s always sad when you know your current ride is about to leave you.
Maybe I get too attached, but lets face it, we are all “motor enthusiasts” and some just don’t get it. Recently, I became “Falconless” when I sold my XR6T Ute. Was hard decision, my heart wanted to keep it, but I just wasn’t driving it, and as much as I loved the limited kays I did in it, I just couldn’t have that coin in my driveway. So I’m sad already.
Now, ive got a new PX2 Ranger XLT on way – but I love my PX1. Anyone who is a fan of the Man From Snowy River 2 will know the scene where ‘Criag’, after mustering a good mob of horses on his trusty old mate, leaves him in his yard, and heads off “too teach a new one”. That’s how I will feel with my “Stu” in a few weeks – taking my new PX2 on a 70000km trip to “break him in”.

All of my rides have had an adventure – from my XF and our first run into Outback Australia, my lap in the RTV, my FG clocked up the miles on east coast..and the XR6T, whilst low on mileage, was fast and fun.

I still tell stories about hitting a roo here, losing it on a dirt road in the XF back of Boggabri when I round the same bend, having the XF off the clock on the Stuart Highway in the “good ol days”, places blokes in Toyotas couldn’t believe the RTV got…and then other “fun” times I just smile to myself about.
I’ve sold cars to people I know and watched them destroy them, watched a young guy pick up my AU2 XLS ute and smile like there was not tomorrow. When I sold the RTV to a bloke, I regretted it…so many memories that meant nothing to him.

They’re just cars right? Maybe, maybe not. Maybe I’m too sentimental – Christ knows on my first overseas trip and 10,000 mile roadtrip I wasn’t sentimental about the Kia coke can – couldn’t wait to get out of the POS! That said, the trip was awesome – but I soooo wanted to be in my PX, or better still, have done it in my RTV.

When was your first “car” memory? Mine was driving, at 3, my old mans Chrysler down the driveway, over the road and thru neighbours fence! But then there is the moment in the XD Fairmont, at 5, when I declared when I was older I was going to own a Falcon. The roadtrip Dad and I did up the New England on our first Dad and son trip – Dad sitting “Didn’t know about that” at 140km/h. Or when he let me drive around a state forest at 14 in his EA Falcon S Pack.

I could sit here and talk all night. Next week, I will be taking Stu on his last road trip with me. When I get back, pull into my drive, write it up in my log book…I might just sit in the driver’s seat for a bit longer with the motor off, radio off…just recall the 150,000km – the dust, the sideways action – the jumping action across the Simpson – the mud, the fun. Then, I will go out to the backyard and hug my cattle dog Clancy. If ever I will appreciate the distraction, it’s a cattle dog one.
This is one of many reasons why people hang on & drive the old, classics & collectible cars, how can you let them go, well this is how I felt with some of my old cars.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2015, 12:00 AM   #23
XR6WGN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've had my wagon now for 15yrs - I think I can relate to all that which mentioned in this post.

My Gallery Photos Here
XR6WGN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post