Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-06-2015, 01:47 AM   #1
Peterwl

Default New Car Options and Observations

I am looking to upgrade my 2009 XR6 Falcon to either a Commodore SS Auto or another FG II Falcon. I want to buy a full sized car built for Australian condition ( bad roads ) and that does not have Start Stop technology. This essentially means a Commodore or a Falcon.

When Ford and GMH start importing the replacements for these, they are bound to have the Start Stop Technology mandated for them.

I am also concerned that my 5 speed auto transmission will fail one day, and I also have 2 damaged rims and cannot buy any second hand replacement.

I recently test drove two new VF Commodores back to back. The first one, an SV6 auto and the second an SS V8 Auto.

The V6 was a little noisy and not as nice a drive as my 2009 FG XR6 5 speed auto which has 64000 Klm on it. (Yes I know this is heresy ) Yes the Commodore has a nicer interior and a better sound system, and better air conditioning.

I then drove the SS.

It is much quieter that the V6, but with poor low speed torque, it is not that much quicker than the SV6 in under 110 Kph driving. You really have to rev it to get its better performance. You should not have to do this for a 6 litre motor.

After driving both at the Holden dealership, I got back into my much maligned 5 speed FG Falcon and came to the conclusion that my Falcon sits on the road better and has more usable performance that the SV6 and only slightly less that the SS V8.

I also test drove an FG II XR6 auto with 8,000 Klm on it. Definitely quieter that my 2009 but less performance. The audio was no better either but I senses the air conditioning was a little better than mine. I did not feel any awe or reverence for the 6 speed transmission either. It did a few sloppy shifts.

If I am going to have a long term keep / weekend drive, it may as well be a 2014 / 2015 model instead of a 2009 one.

A lot of Ford dealers still have FG II’s at good drive away prices, under $30,000. The SS is a lot dearer, with drive away prices I have been quoted from $41,000 to $44,000.

While I will be happy with a newer / better Falcon XR6 of G6E, the Commodore V8 is tempting from a mild modification aspect. Holden warrant the Walkinshaw packages.

Maybe I should also try the Falcon XR6 Turbo, but the thought of frequent diff bush replacements and noisy low profile tyres are a turn off.

Appreciate any informed comments,

Cheers all

2009 FG XR6 5 Speed
2002 VX II Commodore Equipe 3.8 Auto
Peterwl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2015, 02:50 AM   #2
Phildo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent work on the BF Brake information. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Photo Essay - Centre Console Disassembly 
Default Re: New Car Options and Observations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterwl View Post
Maybe I should also try the Falcon XR6 Turbo, but the thought of frequent diff bush replacements and noisy low profile tyres are a turn off.

An XR6 Turbo is going to be a tad quicker than either the Holden or Ford V8.

However, the turbo 6 responds much more to modifications.

Five grand will get you 320-330kw at the rear wheels.

Whether you buy a G6/G6E or XR6 Turbo, it's going to have the same rear end setup.

A G6E Turbo would be a very, very, very good choice.

It sounds like you're going to buy new, but have a look at auctions (ie Pickles and Manheim) for stuff that's near new.
Read about it all at Cabloid, the web site that has stories and photos about my life driving a taxi at night.
www.cabloid.com.au
Phildo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-06-2015, 03:19 AM   #3
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
It is much quieter that the V6, but with poor low speed torque, it is not that much quicker than the SV6 in under 110 Kph driving. You really have to rev it to get its better performance. You should not have to do this for a 6 litre motor.

After driving both at the Holden dealership, I got back into my much maligned 5 speed FG Falcon and came to the conclusion that my Falcon sits on the road better and has more usable performance that the SV6 and only slightly less that the SS V8.

I also test drove an FG II XR6 auto with 8,000 Klm on it. Definitely quieter that my 2009 but less performance. The audio was no better either but I senses the air conditioning was a little better than mine. I did not feel any awe or reverence for the 6 speed transmission either. It did a few sloppy shifts.

If I am going to have a long term keep / weekend drive, it may as well be a 2014 / 2015 model instead of a 2009 one.
From your review it appears the new offerings from Ford and Holden aren’t as good as your current car so why bother changing.

If it’s a long term keeper/weekend drive it won’t matter if it’s a 2009 or 2015 model if it’s just an XR6.

Personally I totally disagree with your assessment of the newer cars.

In my opinion as long term investments a new SS, XR6T or XR8 are all affordable and leave your 2009 XR6 in the dust from all perspectives.

By the way have you seen the price of those Walkinshaw upgrades and Holden doesn't offer any warranty on them, Walkinshaw does.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2015, 09:17 AM   #4
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I am looking to upgrade my 2009 XR6 Falcon to either a Commodore SS Auto or another FG II Falcon. I want to buy a full sized car built for Australian condition ( bad roads ) and that does not have Start Stop technology. This essentially means a Commodore or a Falcon.

When Ford and GMH start importing the replacements for these, they are bound to have the Start Stop Technology mandated for them.

I am also concerned that my 5 speed auto transmission will fail one day, and I also have 2 damaged rims and cannot buy any second hand replacement.

I recently test drove two new VF Commodores back to back. The first one, an SV6 auto and the second an SS V8 Auto.

The V6 was a little noisy and not as nice a drive as my 2009 FG XR6 5 speed auto which has 64000 Klm on it. (Yes I know this is heresy ) Yes the Commodore has a nicer interior and a better sound system, and better air conditioning.

I then drove the SS.

A lot of Ford dealers still have FG II’s at good drive away prices, under $30,000. The SS is a lot dearer, with drive away prices I have been quoted from $41,000 to $44,000.

While I will be happy with a newer / better Falcon XR6 of G6E, the Commodore V8 is tempting from a mild modification aspect. Holden warrant the Walkinshaw packages.

Cheers all
By the sound of it you would be happy buying something with a bit of go and conventional layout, and modable........ just a thought here, what about taking a mustang for a test drive when they are released, in reviews they seem to get thumbs up .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2015, 09:23 AM   #5
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Get an FGX
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-06-2015, 07:56 PM   #6
Peterwl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Pursuit View Post
Get an FGX

I am concerned about the Chinese made ZF that comes with the non Turbo / Supercharged FGX models.

Only one road test I can find, and it does not say good things about it. Said that it changed gears erratically.

The FG II's have the German built units.

2009 FG XR6 5 Speed
2002 VX II Commodore Equipe 3.8 Auto
Peterwl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2015, 09:07 PM   #7
fps_grandma

Quote:
I am concerned about the Chinese made ZF that comes with the non Turbo / Supercharged FGX models.

Only one road test I can find, and it does not say good things about it. Said that it changed gears erratically.

The FG II's have the German built units.
So you have a choice of
G6ET, XR6T, XR8
- Replacing diff bushes more
- German ZF unit, higher torque rating

XR6, G6, Ecoboost
- Chinese ZF unit, lower torque rating

Quote:

Oddly enough the rental FG MkII XR6 we had with the standard wheels was more noisier than my FGX XR6T with 19 inch wheels as standard. To be fair the rental has a lot more km's done.
Obviously the ride quality will suffer with low profile tyres.

Just keep your current FG MkII unless yours is the one with problems that have been fixed in the later ones, find a really good deal on outgoing MY14/MY15 FG MkII models or you managed to find something else you really need or fancy.
Old 15-06-2015, 01:40 PM   #8
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

Re: ford, Noisy tyres will be fixed as soon as you replace the rubbish factry dunlops. And driven normally you wont go through diff bushes all that often.
Old 15-06-2015, 01:57 PM   #9
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Base Aurion is 31k drive away . Probably worth a look .
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2015, 02:09 PM   #10
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I am looking to upgrade my 2009 XR6 Falcon to either a Commodore SS Auto or another FG II Falcon. I want to buy a full sized car built for Australian condition ( bad roads )
So your looking at the last of the falcons and Commodores for the old built for Australian conditions ploy? concerned about road noise?

I think you just need a car that doesn't have low profile Tyres.
don't rule out other brands Australia's Roads are better than most.

If you can cope with the looks of Id recommend the Chrysler 300c
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2015, 02:17 PM   #11
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Australian conditions? What are these and what differences are there to other countries?
We have bad roads I agree but the majority of the cars can easily copy with them.
Only Mazda seems to still be plagued by NVH issues on the road.
I have driven a number of various makes and to be honest they all seem to cope easily with "Australian conditions."

Varying tyre and wheel combinations can contribute to noise as well. Other than that it is a myth that we have better or worse conditions that anywhere else.
Old 15-06-2015, 03:15 PM   #12
adrianb

What is it about the chinese ZF box that you're worried about? Given the number of milkshakes seen with the german built ones over the last few years in Territorys and Falcons I'd be happy something has changed!

Agree with the tyre noise comments - your first set of factory dunlops will suck and after that you've got a heap of choice including good Kumho and Michelin options for an XR model that grip better, last longer and make less noise.

The decision about power vs luxury should steer you clearly towards the G6/XR6/XR6T/XR8 option that suits best.

I've just clocked 3,000km in my FGX XR8 including 1200km in 4 days around Tassie and can't fault it either on the highway for comfort or for putting a smile on your face when you step on the loud pedal. Granted I went for a manual because I wasn't taken with the ZF - had one in my Territory and it was OK but it didn't blow me away with it's performance.
Old 15-06-2015, 03:39 PM   #13
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianb View Post
What is it about the chinese ZF box that you're worried about? Given the number of milkshakes seen with the german built ones over the last few years in Territorys and Falcons I'd be happy something has changed!
It wasn't the box that was failing it was the cooler attached to it. The performance cars in FGX still has them.

In saying that ECO Lpi has been running this box in FG2 IIRC and its been fine.
Old 15-06-2015, 09:50 PM   #14
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

I'm confused. I'd just keep the FG. You can get replacement FG wheels easily from ford and or eBay.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post