Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-03-2015, 01:33 AM   #61
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Can the Falcon last until 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashie View Post
Comparing the VF update to the FG-X is interesting.
The VF has 60% new components in the chassis/handing areas, aluminium bonnet and boot, electric steering, totally replaced the network architecture to Global A, installed ISOFIX... etc and added some "fancy buttons and flashing warning lights"..
FG-X has far less than the above I would have thought.

I agree fully on your statements about the XR8, it is an awesome package for the money!
there is also the other perspective where not all progress is good progress, in many road tests of different model cars , electric steering has made the vehicle more clinical and less of a drivers car, where the previous models hydraulic system had good feel to it, so while having new wizz bang stuff looks good on paper, it does not always mean it is better.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-03-2015, 06:08 PM   #62
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK30RB View Post
Look at the SS commodore (and possibly the SV6) - when was the last time it got a power increase?
Judging by multiple track tests, it doesn't need it. I think buyers have moved on from traffic light drag performance.

Quote:
Has been the same since the VE in 2007. Sure they added bells and whistles but do they drive any better. I guess people are really gullible enough to believe that those fancy buttons and flashing warning lights make the car a better drive.
To be fair, IIRC, the volume V8 seller has gone from the basic SS to the Redline now, and the Redline is a way more competent vehicle. The Redline is a far better vehicle, and a lot of car for the money.

No question the XR8 is fantastic value, and would be with another $5-10k on the price. But it is basically sold out so irrelevant to most people looking to get into a car right now. If you compare whats in the Commodore range generally with the FGX, unless you're getting a great price, whats the point?

Quote:
I don't think Ford are out to sell an FGX to an FG owner who wants the same model.
I think you mean
Quote:
I don't think Ford are out to sell an FGX
:P

Quote:
I test drive the HSV 340kw Clubsport R8, and once i got past the bells and whistles - it was - meh...... Had nothing on the XR8. The dealer was giving it away for $62k - new....
That's primarily because everyone's flocking to the SS Redline, not to an FGX. Given the power disparity, what does that tell you about peoples priorities?

Truthfully, every time I hear mention of 'bells and whistles', I just assume 'sour grapes'. I'm sure at one point in time, 'real' drivers didn't want pesky airbags or ABS because they would never need them....
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2015, 06:18 PM   #63
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Your delusional if you think the Redline version is the volume seller. It would be lucky to make up any more than 20% of total SS sales.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2015, 06:37 PM   #64
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/...les-split.html

Quote:
When I bought my SSV a few weeks ago I asked the salesman about the V8 models and he said an even split between SSV's and SSV Redline's and they both outsell SS's by a fair margin.
Anecdotal, and salesmen will exaggerate, but its in line with the model split I see in my neck of the woods.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2015, 09:02 PM   #65
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Oh a salesmen said that, then I know it's complete rubbish. Holden themselves only predicted at best 15% for Redline, the most expensive model in the range is never going to sell at a level the cheaper SS's do.

I have only ever seen one on the road.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2015, 08:55 AM   #66
LTDHO
The one and only

I'd love to buy a new falcon, only if I could afford it.

I'm surprised that Ford haven't started releasing special builds to boost sales. Similar to what they did with XC and cobra.

XR6 with ED type/style quad lights and lip spoiler. FG Sprint?

I have to say though I hate the Ford ad's on TV, they get muted every time. They sure make the potential Ford customer look stupid.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2015, 10:45 AM   #67
DK30RB

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Judging by multiple track tests, it doesn't need it. I think buyers have moved on from traffic light drag performance.
haha only people who drive slow cars say that. perhaps the clubsport r8 drivers who get hosed by the xr8's

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
To be fair, IIRC, the volume V8 seller has gone from the basic SS to the Redline now, and the Redline is a way more competent vehicle. The Redline is a far better vehicle, and a lot of car for the money.

No question the XR8 is fantastic value, and would be with another $5-10k on the price. But it is basically sold out so irrelevant to most people looking to get into a car right now. If you compare whats in the Commodore range generally with the FGX, unless you're getting a great price, whats the point?

I think you mean :P

That's primarily because everyone's flocking to the SS Redline, not to an FGX. Given the power disparity, what does that tell you about peoples priorities?

Truthfully, every time I hear mention of 'bells and whistles', I just assume 'sour grapes'. I'm sure at one point in time, 'real' drivers didn't want pesky airbags or ABS because they would never need them....
At the end of the day, heads up display, lane departure warnings, blind spot alerts are not going to make anyone a better driver, infact they have the opposite effect. People become complacent.

Airbags, crumple zones, esc etc don't dumb drivers down, they are there in the event of an accident to help protect vehicle occupants from injury.

Yes the FGX doesn't have the extra bling, but honestly how many people will not buy a car because it doesn't have heads up display, lane departure warnings etc etc.... Most people are looking at type,style, performance as a priority.
DK30RB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post