Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-11-2014, 06:44 PM   #1
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default 96 Camry V6 Manual

G'day All,

I have been offered a 1996 Camry V6 Manual by a older gent at the local bowls club. He can't drive anymore and has had the car since new. I believe it has around 110,000km and is the Csi model so manual windows but it has air con and power steer etc. Its the widebody with the 136kw/276nm 3.0 quad cam engine and five speed. Its old man immaculate.

Has anyone got any feedback on what one of these were like to drive when they were new? I know they arent a rocketship or anything, but as quite a cheap daily driver you could do worse couldn't you?

The research I have done seems to point to it be no worse than a commodore or falcon of the day, just not suited to heavy towing.

Im giving it some good thought as I dont like leaving my good car at train stations or out in the weather during long work trips and the like. And right now my daily is a 31 year old japanese two door which I wont even drive to the shops.

Any advice or thoughts are greatly appreciated.

calais is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2014, 07:14 PM   #2
redxm
64 Deluxe 4 door
Donating Member3

Default Re: 96 Camry V6 Manual

As long as you remove the hat from the parcel shelf it should be fine.
redxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2014, 07:21 PM   #3
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by redxm View Post
As long as you remove the hat from the parcel shelf it should be fine.

That was going to be the first improvement. A hat and venetians.

I think i'd also be the first camry driver to do the speed limit!
Old 04-11-2014, 07:29 PM   #4
Binny

I had a '96 "Touring Edition" years ago. They are no rocket ship but the V6 is a good thing with decent torque and can be more economical than the 4 cylinders are as they struggle a lot less.
If you are after a reliable commuter you can do a lot worse. I think this era of Toyotas was the most reliable. The 3VZ-FE is very reliable but its really important that its had regular oil and coolant changes as its quad cam, 24 valve is a lot more complicated than an equivalent commodore or falcon 6 of the era.
Mine had 310,000km and was still going strong when I sold it. Everything still worked, central locking, CD stacker, the aircon was awesome. It even had the original brake rotors. It had a clutch at about 180,000ks. The rocker cover gaskets can leak eventually and the back one is a pain to access and it leaks on the exhaust. This is the only issue I had. It never even blew light bulbs.
With towing it towed a box trailer with a couch on it up hills on the highway in 5th with no worries. Lets be realistic though I wouldn't tow much more than that.
Binny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-11-2014, 08:18 PM   #5
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

I worked for Toyota when the wide body upgrade came in, driven **** loads of them when they were new.
Many lunch breaks were spent blowing away Commodores on the Macca's run for the sales manager.
They go alright, especially the manual version...

My inlaws bought a 96 Touring series brand new from us, they loved it and my mother inlaw always said she hated selling it.
Last year I stumbled across an immaculate example in a car yard for 4k and bought it for her.
I know 4k for a 96 Toyota is way up there but they are such a bullet proof car I knew it would pay for itself with reliable service.

She prefers to drive it over their 08 BF2.

Just bought the wife a 2010 Touring series, so much car for such little outlay, likes a drink though.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2014, 08:29 PM   #6
WPR1

They went pretty well sub 8 second 0-100. If I'm not mistaken around 100k it is due for a new timing belt so check that. They were quite advanced for their day and the latest Camry/Aurion is not that different (I.e they haven't advanced much since).
WPR1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2014, 09:00 PM   #7
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I find it interesting it's a manual version...most Camrys are autos. Could be a damn good thing. It's an excellent engine as well. You wouldn't be sorry.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2014, 09:28 PM   #8
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just calculate the power to weight ratio of your V6 man Toyota vs an EF XR6 and you'll see what a sleeper they were.
As a teenager, my mum had a 97 4cyl auto Intrigue with the 15inch wheel upgrade and that thing used to corner flat as, I even called a Toyota dealer one day to confirm whether the intrigue came with the touring suspension, it didn't. If it didn't get written off in a rear ender, she would still have it.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 04-11-2014, 09:44 PM   #9
GTMOND

I had an auto 95 model which had 210k on it when I left it with my ex and never had a problem with it.
GTMOND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2014, 11:01 PM   #10
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Could be a goer. I don't need a new runwbout just yet, but sounds like I should store it until needed next august.

Power to weight between a camry and an el XR6? Surely there wouldnt be any comparison. Would the camry really be a bit of a sleeper for its day?
Old 04-11-2014, 11:09 PM   #11
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Almost sounds too good for railway station hack. 15 y/o Kias and Hyundais are best for that.

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2014, 11:12 PM   #12
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

What colour?
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2014, 11:18 PM   #13
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its white, factory 15" hubcaps, weathershield etc.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:23 PM   #14
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I should clarify I wouldnt beat up on my cars, but i'm just after something that I wouldnt mind leaving in a carpark all day, being confident it will still be there when I come back.

I feel uncomfortable leaving my new Forester XT or my Scorpion anywhere for too long. I'd prefer a car with a minimal financial investment to risk.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:24 PM   #15
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds like a good run around, i would be hanging onto that one, it will probably go for years with bugger all work, just very basic servicing.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2014, 11:32 PM   #16
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
Just calculate the power to weight ratio of your V6 man Toyota vs an EF XR6 and you'll see what a sleeper they were.
As a teenager, my mum had a 97 4cyl auto Intrigue with the 15inch wheel upgrade and that thing used to corner flat as, I even called a Toyota dealer one day to confirm whether the intrigue came with the touring suspension, it didn't. If it didn't get written off in a rear ender, she would still have it.
Its only 100kg or so lighter than an EL XR6
'96 V6 Camry 10.55kg:kw
'96 EL XR6 9.34kg:kw

Sure it might give an auto El XR6 a scare, but its not going to worry a manual one...
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2014, 11:37 PM   #17
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin View Post
Its only 100kg or so lighter than an EL XR6
'96 V6 Camry 10.55kg:kw
'96 EL XR6 9.34kg:kw

Sure it might give an auto El XR6 a scare, but its not going to worry a manual one...
An auto XR6 was still a quick car in its day. I remember driving one a few years back and it was a good drive. A manual would feel better again. The camry is a grandpa spec that might just keep up in a straight line in good weather. Plenty quick enough for a daily, for me at least.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:43 AM   #18
chookaradley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Silky smooth V6, and rare as rocking horse 5 speed wagon.
chookaradley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2014, 08:24 AM   #19
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by calais View Post
I should clarify I wouldnt beat up on my cars, but i'm just after something that I wouldnt mind leaving in a carpark all day, being confident it will still be there when I come back.

I feel uncomfortable leaving my new Forester XT or my Scorpion anywhere for too long. I'd prefer a car with a minimal financial investment to risk.
Sounds like this Camry fits the bill perfectly. It'll be as reliable as all get out and last years. And being a V6 Manual won't totally suck to drive. Sounds like a winner.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2014, 09:06 PM   #20
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I owned 96 Touring Vienta V6 manual in Panama blue. It was probably over 16 years ago - good engine , plenty of grunt , fairly quick. 3vz-fe very reliable iron block alloy head . Heavy under steerer on the limit , great sleeper , noone ever expected Camry to be that quick.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2014, 07:47 PM   #21
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Hey Calais, did you end up grabbing this Camry??

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2014, 01:32 AM   #22
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey I got a 98 Camry manual with no extras like electric windows, so it is light.

Done 315,000, paint on roof blotchy, some rust on front window seal as I park it on beach each day when going to work. My wife had it for some time and I kid not she managed to bump/smash/scratch literally every quarter section of the car- so it looks quite a sight.

But- I have religiously done the oil changes and cam belts at 100,000, and the suspension has been bushed and tyres are new Pirellis.

Handles like a bucket of crap, brakes are underpowered for the power in a light manual version, but you can purposely flick the rear out while hoofing your right foot while flicking the steering around a corner- stupid fun which must look so wrong outside.

Leaks oil from rocker cover gasket, and has pulley whine because of the oil.

But pulls hard- especially on 98, nice longish chirrrrp from first to second, the number of v8's and new BWM and Mercs I have smashed at lights- smashed a wrx who bogged with turbo lag, and they drive up behind like cops on heat and look for minutes (probably think it has a turbo cause of the slipping pulley whine)

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender

Last edited by asagaai; 18-12-2014 at 01:37 AM.
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post