Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-11-2014, 04:37 PM   #1
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Do V6 engines rev quicker than an inline 6?

Would it be fair to say that a V6 engine will make revs quicker than an inline 6 engine, mainly due to the lighter crankshaft in a V6 needing less inertia to spin?

It's pretty amusing though, considering the XR8 next year will be reborn with the same spec engine as the FG GT, could you imagine being a HSV owner forking out all that money on a brand new GTS, then pulling up to the lights next to a FH XR8 and then sitting side by side all the way to 100 and beyond
Even more embarrasing would be the lower spec variants of the VF in HSV's stable getting whopped by a factory XR8.
ford man xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2014, 04:42 PM   #2
Grippy
Racing improves the breed

Default Re: Do V6 engines rev quicker than an inline 6?

If you're referring to Falcon I6's not revving quickly, it's due to their long stroke.

1964 Mini Cooper S Historic Group Nb Touring car

Victorian Hill Climb Championship
Grippy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 08-11-2014, 04:48 PM   #3
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grippy View Post
If you're referring to Falcon I6's not revving quickly, it's due to their long stroke.
No, I mean just in general terms, I know the Falcon has a long stroke and is good for its low down torque. It's when you freel the weight difference of a V6 crank and an inline 6 crank you can really feel the difference in weight.
It's pretty amusing though, considering the XR8 next year will be reborn with the same spec engine as the FG GT, could you imagine being a HSV owner forking out all that money on a brand new GTS, then pulling up to the lights next to a FH XR8 and then sitting side by side all the way to 100 and beyond
Even more embarrasing would be the lower spec variants of the VF in HSV's stable getting whopped by a factory XR8.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:56 PM   #4
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Generally yes because inline engines have long strokes and heavy running gear but if they were built with the same bore/stroke ratio there probably wouldnt be much difference.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-11-2014, 04:59 PM   #5
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220 View Post
Generally yes because inline engines have long strokes and heavy running gear but if they were built with the same bore/stroke ratio there probably wouldnt be much difference.
So crank weight doesn't really come into the equation? I know people will lighten flywheels, this would be the same principle though wouldnt it?
Old 08-11-2014, 05:19 PM   #6
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Agreed, it's more about the length of the stroke. But RPM doesn't tell the whole story RPM only measures crank speed, not piston speed. So an engine with a 2'' stroke at 4,000 rpm has a piston speed the same as an engine with a 4'' stroke at 2,000 rpm. I liken it to riding a bike. If you want to ride fast, you use a short stride in your legs. If you want to ride up a steep hill, you stretch out your legs using the long stroke as leverage. Except pistons have a fixed stroke length
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-11-2014, 05:27 PM   #7
BradEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's definitly not just falcon engines, a lot of the bmw i6 engines are slower to rev than say an Audi v6
BradEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2014, 05:45 PM   #8
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford man xf View Post
So crank weight doesn't really come into the equation? I know people will lighten flywheels, this would be the same principle though wouldnt it?
Yeah it does but not sure by how much.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2014, 06:05 PM   #9
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Too many variables to say it's a blanket rule.
Stroke, reciprocating mass, and lots of other things come into play.

Holden (buick) V6s don't exactly rev fast.....

The additional weight of the crank is only a small factor - it's dynamic rotational mass is with a relatively small radius, so this has less bearing on the rotational speed change as the pistons & rods that are moving much further (and changing directions).

Even the widths of the rings, coatings on the piston skirts, and the block material on the bore surface can all affect how quickly it will rev, but to a smaller degree than say lightening the flywheel.

As others have noted, the stroke plays a large part, as that is where the reciprocating mass comes from. A lot of straight 6s have long strokes, and most modern V6s - for various reasons, are heavily under square with very short strokes in comparison.

Usually these under square engines produce noticeably less torque, so they have to be revved more to perform (Holden's Alloytec is the perfect example, as too many Toyota engines).

But while it may be an observation of most current engines, it's certainly not a blanket rule that can be applied.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-11-2014, 07:07 PM   #10
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

I don't think there would be much difference. I think the crank twist of the I6 would be a bigger issue. A V6 will have a lighter crankshaft but also will need balance shafts to be smooth. So you've got a more naturally balanced heavy crank vs a lighter, rougher crank.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-11-2014, 08:56 PM   #11
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradEL View Post
It's definitly not just falcon engines, a lot of the bmw i6 engines are slower to rev than say an Audi v6
What makes you think its not related to gear ratios?
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2014, 09:21 PM   #12
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

That's half the problem with the I6, to me they feel like they rev out slow but its the gearing, to me I feel like they're geared too long, they really need 3.9s IMO when all you have is just NA engine.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post