Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 17-08-2011, 01:16 PM   #1
XR6SQ

Default Lost my lock nut key - HELP!

Hey guys and girls,

Recently went to get some new tyres on my AU111 only to find out that I can't find my locknut key

The tyre shop said they can't get them off without wrecking my rims. Ford said they wont give me a new one unless I have the serial number off the old key and if I want a wheel repair place to get them off they need my car for a whole day which I can't commit to with my work schedule.

So what can I do? Does anyone in QLD (Gold Coast area) have the standard AU111 XR lock that I can try? Are they all the same?

Cheers for any help.

Old 17-08-2011, 01:33 PM   #2
MAD
Petro-sexual

Default Re: Lost my lock nut key - HELP!

I broke my locknut key ages ago when a tyre shop did them up too tight.
I ended up having to drill the studs out. It worked and I only damaged one wheel when the drill went off course a little a gouged into the tapered seat a little.

Do you still happen to have the packaging the locknuts came in? That might still have the code on it.
Old 17-08-2011, 01:40 PM   #3
XARATE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Quality contribution which has gone somewhat un-noticed so far. 

Go buy a cheap socket that close to fitting but slightly smaller
Hammer it on and undo
Put socket in vice and use a punch to get the wheel nut out
Repeat for each nut
XARATE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2011, 01:43 PM   #4
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6SQ
Hey guys and girls,

Recently went to get some new tyres on my AU111 only to find out that I can't find my locknut key

The tyre shop said they can't get them off without wrecking my rims. Ford said they wont give me a new one unless I have the serial number off the old key and if I want a wheel repair place to get them off they need my car for a whole day which I can't commit to with my work schedule.

So what can I do? Does anyone in QLD (Gold Coast area) have the standard AU111 XR lock that I can try? Are they all the same?

Cheers for any help.
Find a better tyre shop.

If they can't get locknuts off without damaging the rims they don't know what they are doing and have no business running a tyre shop. I've had the same issue, tyre shop said not an issue we'll use a socket and hammer it on. It cost me an extra $20 plus a new set of lock nuts but it did not damage the rims.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2011, 01:44 PM   #5
R1XSTA
Silky Smoothe

Yeah, the only thing you can do is put a similar size socket, and hammer it on nice and hard and then take it off.
- 2006 Ford Territory Turbo; Silhoutte, Leather, Plazmaman CAI.
R1XSTA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2011, 01:50 PM   #6
MAD
Petro-sexual

I had these ones. http://www.barrinut.com.au/home.html
Socket trick doesnt work.
Old 17-08-2011, 02:03 PM   #7
Hood-G6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have had to do this a few times. Always managed to get them off by smashing on a bit smaller 12 point socket. Can be time consuming but works

For sale

ADELAIDE FG OWNERS
Hood-G6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2011, 02:14 PM   #8
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you might try drilling it out and using an easyout

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2011, 03:23 PM   #9
FERG_51
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have used an air chisel to undo the nut. this obviously wrecks the nut but if careful you dont hurt the rim. EG you use the chisel to loosen the nut.
FERG_51 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2011, 05:59 PM   #10
Day-mow
rexnet

there are a few different shape ford lock nut shapes. if you have any friends that have genuine for lock nuts borrow one of theirs and see if it fits.
on the key it'll have a code that can be used to reorder a new one.

i broke mine and re ordered it was $25 for memory came in over night.

Remember it is the internet,So beware of trolls, If you argue with trolls the kids will laugh at you

Follow me on twitter @ Day_mow
Day-mow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2011, 07:34 PM   #11
XR6SQ

Thanks for all the help guys, looks like I might have to try the cheap socket trick if I cant find the original key or someone who has one by the weekend.
Old 17-08-2011, 07:39 PM   #12
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Problem with tyre shops (and I speak from experience), is we can get locknuts off, but we don't like doing it, because we don't want to run the risk of damaging rims and having to replace them.

Personally I have been blamed for scratching the paint inside the wheel nut area, being Mr niceguy, removing locknuts for a customer. Of course, this was done free of charge to the customer, yet I cop a mouthful of abuse for scratching this area. IMA, it was already scratched in all the wheel nut areas, but Mr huffy puffy wouldn't have a bar of it.

Now, a customer wants locknuts removed, they sign a piece of paper, wavering any damage caused as a result of removing the locknuts. (This includes paint chipping inside the wheel nut area of the rim.)

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2011, 07:43 PM   #13
JG65TE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

depending upon the rim, i dont know new cars but locking pliers will get em off sometimes. as junky and chinese as it sounds , I also have a inch socket that is filled with about 100 little metal pins and ya push it on a nut and it "forms" its own shape around the socket. I can't explain it so I try find a pic. my point being it also grips rounded stuff.

edit, here tis !

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Gator-Gri...item2311759635

ok so i lied about the 100 pins.......... but 52 is closer to 100 than it is to zero

Last edited by JG65TE; 17-08-2011 at 07:50 PM.
JG65TE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2011, 07:55 PM   #14
Barnaby

I have a spare one for an AUII XR but I doubt I can get it to you by the weekend from Vic. Are AUII & III the same? Some ****** damaged it using a rattle gun so I got a new one. Still works on the nuts though...

Oh...are we talking about the special socket or is there another set of wheel nuts that came out on the AU?
Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2011, 10:36 PM   #15
XR6SQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby
Oh...are we talking about the special socket or is there another set of wheel nuts that came out on the AU?
Yeah just the lock nut socket piece. Apparently they make a few different ones so I wouldn't ask you to send it out without knowing if it was the right one or not. Cheers anyways mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG65TE

edit, here tis !

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Gator-Gri...item2311759635

ok so i lied about the 100 pins.......... but 52 is closer to 100 than it is to zero
Hey they are pretty nifty, might see if I can grab one. Cheers for the Idea champ.
Old 17-08-2011, 10:38 PM   #16
XR6SQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter

Now, a customer wants locknuts removed, they sign a piece of paper, wavering any damage caused as a result of removing the locknuts. (This includes paint chipping inside the wheel nut area of the rim.)
I can fully understand the reasoning behind this mate. I was happy to take it to a wheel repair shop here and was going to, but they needed my car for a whole day and I needed to book the date in advance which was unfortunately not possible with my job.
Old 26-08-2011, 01:00 PM   #17
XR6SQ

Just thought I would say thanks for all the suggestions. Today I had time to try the old cheap socket and hammer trick and it worked a treat.

Now just waiting to get my new Pirellis on!
Old 27-08-2011, 12:45 AM   #18
kookaburra
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6SQ
Thanks for all the help guys, looks like I might have to try the cheap socket trick if I cant find the original key or someone who has one by the weekend.
Hi there, Snapon have a special set of sockets for exactly this job, they slide on and bight on whenyou wind backwards, to undo, i have seen it done,
kookaburra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2014, 09:09 PM   #19
Keithwilsons
Starter Motor

Can you get a replacement lock nut from ford if you have the socket?
Keithwilsons is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2014, 10:11 AM   #20
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kookaburra View Post
Hi there, Snapon have a special set of sockets for exactly this job, they slide on and bight on whenyou wind backwards, to undo, i have seen it done,
Exactly what I had done. I lost my lock nut key a few years ago. I went to the Bob Jane in Werribee and asked what they could do. They have a special socket that screws onto the lock nut with a reverse thread. Then they simply rattle gun the nut of, the thread getting tighter as they unscrew it. Took them about 10 minutes to do all 4. New lock nuts from them and I was away.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: