Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-02-2014, 10:43 PM   #121
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Holden SS-V Redline Ute vs FPV GT 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by chookaradley View Post
Im interested to know, why does the holdens lack of kw power compared to its falcon stablemate not translate to a defecit in acceleration times?. By all accounts the VF is lineball with an xr6t??. Is it purely superior chasis/grip??
The VF SS is lighter then the XR6T. The Redline, with 275's on the rear so will hook up a little better.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2014, 10:45 PM   #122
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Im interested to know, why does the holdens lack of kw power compared to its falcon stablemate not translate to a defecit in acceleration times?. By all accounts the VF is lineball with an xr6t??. Is it purely superior chasis/grip??
It's a combination of chassis, power delivery, thicker tyres (on the Redlines), weight and even torque reduction on the autos. Ultimately the XR6T is faster, you just need more than 400m to see it clearly. If you compared them over 1000m or a standing mile, the XR6T would win by a considerable margin.

Also congrats OP, you definitely made the right choice.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-02-2014, 10:39 AM   #123
82XD393.3v
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

chookaradley in answer to your question about acceleration time both cars have similar rwkw xr6t slightly higher, the biggest difference is in the torque while the may give out similar peak torque figures the difference is in the delivery peak torque of the xr6t comes on really early below 2000rpm all the way to red line whilst peak torque of the vf most likely isnt untill after 4000rpm. while the wider tires will play a significant part to why the vf can keep up it is more the fact of keeping the kettle on the boil with gearing, so if you keep the revs up the VF will stay in it peak torque range thus the times are close but do in gear acceleration 80 to 120 kph you will see the xr6t smash the VF. put 275 rear tyres on a xr6t it will easly account for the VF in 0 to 100 and quarter times

FG F6 Manual 366RWKW tuned by BLUE POWER

82XD393.3v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-02-2014, 07:53 PM   #124
chookaradley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Was just curious. It seems to be the case right across the board. Whether it be N/A 6, turbo 6 or v8. Falcons make considerably more power and torque on a dyno. Yet get near identical 0-100 and 0-400m times. I guess one thing the R Spec shows us is what the car is capable of with decent grip and rear suspension set up.
chookaradley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2014, 10:40 PM   #125
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Im fairly sure VF SSs dont run 12.8 on the 1/4?
Even the Clubbys are struggling to hit that kinda times.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2014, 10:51 PM   #126
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin View Post
Im fairly sure VF SSs dont run 12.8 on the 1/4?
Even the Clubbys are struggling to hit that kinda times.
Drive tested them side by side at WSID, both did 13 flat. ~13 is about average for a MKII, the MKIs were a little quicker on average.

http://media.drive.com.au/cars/car-n...o-4528871.html
Old 27-02-2014, 11:41 PM   #127
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Hey Farnsy, what was your delivery k's again? 400m? Looks familiar that car

Adrenaline your car looks great in that colour...

Just on the vid noticeable the lack of traction straight up (though interestingly they claim there is none even though showing the launches separately) with the XR6T over the Redline. That launch in the SS is perfect. Certainly making good use of its gearing down down the track impressive.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it

Last edited by PepeLePew; 27-02-2014 at 11:49 PM.
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2014, 12:49 AM   #128
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLePew View Post
Adrenaline your car looks great in that colour...

Just on the vid noticeable the lack of traction straight up (though interestingly they claim there is none even though showing the launches separately) with the XR6T over the Redline. That launch in the SS is perfect. Certainly making good use of its gearing down down the track impressive.
Thank you kind sir, I've been called enough names lately for owning a VF I figured I'd put it on display

And yes the traction claims they make clearly aren't consistent with the video. The XR6T ran almost 109mph so with the right launch it really could have done a 12. I also have a suspicion that there was E85 in that Commodore for it to achieve that time.
This user likes this post:
Old 28-02-2014, 10:49 AM   #129
GT
Mrs Russellw
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: All your effort in keeping me sane and on-track. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For her honest, direct and helpful advice to members. The content of her posts help many members on the forum and most times, turn a very negative thread into a postive one. 

Let me say that there are plenty of us that own other cars other than Fords despite us being Ford enthusiasts.
However while we are very comfortable with brand comparison this is the Ford Forum and ramming Holdens down our throats with absolute glee is childish and innapropriate.
Thrilled you love your new cars but the level of enthusiasm for them is more suited to a Forum that promotes them.
ie LS1
I have a non Ford on order but still have 2 Fords staying but would never use a pic of the new non Ford vehicle in my signature as it is stupid on a Ford site and hostile, frankly. If you no longer li, e our beloved brand, take it where your opinion will be appreciated. Brassing off members for nothing more than the sake of it has finally got on my nerves.
I've got your message loud and clear so let it go and show a bit more respect.
This has turned into some sort of stupid game and you dont want to see who will win. Sound like a threat- it is. I'm sick of the Reported Posts all about this thread.

Gaela

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
Fact is Gaela's GTP IS the quickest NA Boss 290 Sedan now (by a long shot)
The precedent of stripping weight and using full slicks was set years ago now.

So if you want to beat em, ya gotta join em, and being manual makes the time even more credible.
GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2014, 12:32 PM   #130
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Where is anyone ramming Holdens down our throats? 2 threads comparing VF Commodores whereby a few people who own them make decent comparison? I don't get it I am sorry. The VF is a better car then the Falcon, in technology respects. As it should be its 6 years newer!

As for Davids avatar what is wrong with that? I don't see the big deal, does that mean I shouldn't have a Kenworth as mine? Ive seen other people here with other brands as their Avatar, does it take away from their contribution to the forum? No!

Not having a chip at you Gaela but that's just my observation. I have alot of respect for what you, Russ and the rest of the forum directors do for this forum but I don't know what to make of any of this at the moment. Everyone here is too hostile and the quality of the threads has gone downhill considerably.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-02-2014, 12:39 PM   #131
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Drive tested them side by side at WSID, both did 13 flat. ~13 is about average for a MKII, the MKIs were a little quicker on average.

http://media.drive.com.au/cars/car-n...o-4528871.html
i've heard that myth but am yet to see it proven! There is no difference between the MK1 and MK2 mechanically/tune wise that i know of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLePew View Post
Hey Farnsy, what was your delivery k's again? 400m? Looks familiar that car
haha yeah i watched that video before buying mine - that test car has the luxury pack/dual zone etc - mine is pov pack with leather, and i've added the 19's and speaker upgrade etc. It's her sister though! P.S. mine had 14km when i drove it first, so it'd have to have done the 1/4 at least 30 times lol.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2014, 12:46 PM   #132
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth View Post
i've heard that myth but am yet to see it proven! There is no difference between the MK1 and MK2 mechanically/tune wise that i know of.

haha yeah i watched that video before buying mine - that test car has the luxury pack/dual zone etc - mine is pov pack with leather, and i've added the 19's and speaker upgrade etc. It's her sister though! P.S. mine had 14km when i drove it first, so it'd have to have done the 1/4 at least 30 times lol.
There is between Euro 3 and Euro 4 (June 2010 Builds).
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2014, 01:00 PM   #133
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT View Post
Where is anyone ramming Holdens down our throats? 2 threads comparing VF Commodores whereby a few people who own them make decent comparison? I don't get it I am sorry. The VF is a better car then the Falcon, in technology respects. As it should be its 6 years newer!

As for Davids avatar what is wrong with that? I don't see the big deal, does that mean I shouldn't have a Kenworth as mine? Ive seen other people here with other brands as their Avatar, does it take away from their contribution to the forum? No!

Not having a chip at you Gaela but that's just my observation. I have alot of respect for what you, Russ and the rest of the forum directors do for this forum but I don't know what to make of any of this at the moment. Everyone here is too hostile and the quality of the threads has gone downhill considerably.
Just an observation, but I think the thing getting on the goat of most is the "cheerleading" and the constant harping on about perceived deficiencies.

Yes, Ford cars may not be perfect, and yes, there may be "better" cars out there, but they are what they are and if someone can't accept that, they need to move on.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-02-2014, 01:45 PM   #134
GT
Mrs Russellw
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: All your effort in keeping me sane and on-track. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For her honest, direct and helpful advice to members. The content of her posts help many members on the forum and most times, turn a very negative thread into a postive one. 

DASH GT - you are not seeing everything we are. There has been a lot more written than what you are seeing in one thread. The message was for those who have been involved in that.
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
Fact is Gaela's GTP IS the quickest NA Boss 290 Sedan now (by a long shot)
The precedent of stripping weight and using full slicks was set years ago now.

So if you want to beat em, ya gotta join em, and being manual makes the time even more credible.

Last edited by GT; 28-02-2014 at 02:00 PM.
GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-02-2014, 04:03 PM   #135
Rodge
Banned

For the record, it was never my intention to "cheerlead" the VF or ramm it down anyone's throat I was simply interested in a few things in the other thread I started.
1. What rwkw's do people think it really takes for a truly satisfying drive ?
2. What's the difference between SSV Redline power and technology compared to our 335 SC cars ?
3. In a hypothetical sense, is some trade down in rwkw's okay if one gets a decent helping of new technology ?

I think we got the first two questions sorted out well and then regretably people seemed to fracture quickly into their respective loyalty camps.

I think a lot of people misunderstood the purpose of that thread, its well known on here I enjoy a good healthy objective debate.

Bit of a shame that the dealer didn't come through with the Redline being available for a demo as at least i would have then been able to post an objective comparison between the two cars which would have added some more context and depth to the thread.

I am left to speculate at this stage that the steering feel of the FPV, which is one of its strong points would be far nicer than the EPAS system of the Holden, the extra cicra 100 rwkw's a stock 335 makes over a Redline would render a stock Holden as feeling a little impotent, especially in on-road feel with its maximum torque not kicking in till 4400 r.p.m., and of course OTOH the extra tech of the Redline would make it feel substaintially more modern, which it clearly is.

Who knows one day i might get an opportunity to evaluate a Redline but I'm not busting a gut to do it as by and large apart from the lack of state of the art technology in my MK1 GT-P its a very satisfying drive indeed and does the core basics of power, braking and handling very well indeed

Last edited by Rodge; 28-02-2014 at 04:10 PM.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post: