Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-12-2013, 10:27 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile NSW Drivers Given a Discount for Safe Driving.

Never happen in QLD...too hell bent on revenue raising.

ALMOST half a million NSW drivers have been given a discount when renewing their driver's licence because they have a spotless road record, the state government says.

Premier Barry O'Farrell says since the "Fair Go for Safe Drivers" scheme was launched in July, 408,000 people have been rewarded with the 50 per cent discount for driving safely.

The scheme provides a discount of up to $81 on a licence renewal.

"It's our way of saying thank-you to motorists who do the right thing, and encouraging better driving behaviour in others," Premier O'Farrell said in a statement on Saturday.

"Each year, hundreds of motorists are killed or injured because of dangerous, selfish and stupid behaviour on our roads."

The premier said new figures show women are safer than men on NSW roads, with 223,904 receiving the discounted licence compared with 184,443 men.

Motorists in regional NSW are more likely to receive the 50 per cent discount than their city counterparts.

The discount applies whether the licence is renewed for one, three or five years.

In the week leading up to Friday NSW police handed out 9148 speeding infringements, conducted 255,418 breath tests and laid 297 drink driving charges.
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/b...-1226790995822

Old 28-12-2013, 10:58 AM   #2
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: NSW Drivers Given a Discount for Safe Driving.

I would say at least 80% of these are not "good" drivers they are simply drivers who have not been caught.

We all are guilty of breaking some kind of road rule at one time or another, whether we admit it or not.

Everyone except me officer, where's my discount.

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2013, 11:17 AM   #3
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

I only paid half for my license renewal this year Giving drivers incentives to do the right thing when behind the wheel is a win win, kudo's to BO'F & team!

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-12-2013, 11:25 AM   #4
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf View Post
I would say at least 80% of these are not "good" drivers they are simply drivers who have not been caught.

We all are guilty of breaking some kind of road rule at one time or another, whether we admit it or not.

VicRoads does the same thing, I think on licence renewal.

My sister got busted driving on Ls with no license person in the passenger seat and had to go to court for it, when it came time to go off her Ps she got some sort of discount for having a "clean" driving record.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2013, 11:39 AM   #5
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I renewed just before this was introduced and I doubt they'll still be in power by the time of my next renewal
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2013, 02:34 PM   #6
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
VicRoads does the same thing, I think on licence renewal.

My sister got busted driving on Ls with no license person in the passenger seat and had to go to court for it, when it came time to go off her Ps she got some sort of discount for having a "clean" driving record.
Only for under 26 year olds now :(
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vic...-1226679497138

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2013, 03:07 PM   #7
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezza View Post
Yes, I got a discount on my licence renewal last year, but obviously the Vic State Govt has discovered they were losing too much money on the scheme.

Stuff promoting safe driving, we need the revenue.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2013, 08:16 PM   #8
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf View Post

Well you can say what you like, you have no proof or statistics to back your claim.

At least it some incentive for drivers to have a clean record & be rewarded, better than some Government always Take Take Take slogan!

Cheers.
Itsme is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2013, 08:22 PM   #9
stevethepom

I think licence fees are just another revenue raiser anyway ! I'm oriiginally from the UK where once you pass your test you get your full licence which is valid from that point on until you reach your 70th birthday also from memory the change over from learners licence is fee free as well !
stevethepom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-12-2013, 09:58 PM   #10
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevethepom View Post
I think licence fees are just another revenue raiser anyway ! I'm oriiginally from the UK where once you pass your test you get your full licence which is valid from that point on until you reach your 70th birthday also from memory the change over from learners licence is fee free as well !
Not quite free you must renew your photo ID on your licence every ten years in the UK which a fee is applicable but I must admit it is much cheaper than our fees.

Cheers
Itsme is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2013, 02:49 AM   #11
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was behind a ~30 year old woman yesterday on a twisty stretch of road. It was 60km/h rated, however not all corners are safe at this speed. Instead we spent most of the time doing 30-40km/h on the straight stuff, and 20km/h for the corners. She couldn't even keep to her side of the road, and by watching her expression in her mirror, she was under extreme concentration.

My point is she has probably never had a speeding fine/traffic infringement(do they hand out other types of traffic infringements?), but her driving was far from safe.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-12-2013, 01:44 PM   #12
falconboy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There are much worse 'clean' drivers on the road getting these discounts than some of us who may have been napped going a bit quick and paid full price.

What peeved me off recently is I received my green slip renewal through QBE. They were raving on about discounts for good drivers with no demerit points. But doing a comparision of pricing, QBE's pricing for no demerit point drivers was comparable to everyone elses, yet when a couple of demerit points are thrown in they where about $300 more expensive than everyone else? Discount for good driving? Rubbish, they were charging more for those with demerit points. DISGUSTING! QBE I will never use you again!