Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-05-2013, 06:00 PM   #1
FRD888XR8

Default I feel like a noob againg .... !

Hey all,

haven't been posting on here for some time.

Joined the forum a wile back when I got my BA XR8 as to part of the community / cult .

But also I am a bike customiser / enthusiast so the past 3 yeas, I have been extremely busy with work and every spare time I had I was trying to balance between time with the missus , modding / painting & riding my bike and the odd house improvements work that never end.

as far as the bike goes I think I have reached my limits. not everyone may like it, but pleases me, it is ALL my work and have done every single bit on that bike, as far a modding it and it gives me a great sense of accomplishment.

here is how she looks now and with tears in my eyes I am letting it go as I feel it is time to start my long awaited super motard build

ImageShack.us

On the down side, back to my XR8, I feel I ( as in my mechanic) have only done the maintenance required with no mods or upgrades, and 50k extra k's since I got it , what the hell of a reliable car, just keeps on going.

Mind you, it hand plenty of upgrades when I got it, cold air intake, K&N filters, extractors, twin 2.5 inch pipes, so it goes pretty good

thought about trading it a couple of times but ups and down on cash-flow kept me grounded like a plane on heavy fog ... but now I am thinking on keeping it a little longer.

Only issue I have, is the damn alloys are buckled to ****, so I am riding on the Terri's steels rims, I know shame on me, but they are true, round and strong as hell and by the photos above, you can tell where all my money was going ;-)
but every now and ageing I find myself shopping for rims, and IMO, no rims will look better than the stock ones, 17's .... I am serious , no offence if you think otherwise.

Now the question is, would you repair yours or would you rather buy a good second hand one ?

also looking a tackling the diff bushes as they have started knocking so IRS needs to come out and may look at all the bushes that may require replacing.
anyone done it before ? any tips and suggestions, as I am down there what else should I look for ?

thanks for now and sorry for writing a bible on here.

cheers

FRD888XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-05-2013, 09:22 AM   #2
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Tech article on rear bushes. 
Default Re: I feel like a noob againg .... !

One of the guys in the B-Series section did a pictorial on removing the whole diff cradle. A lot easier to replace bushes when it's all out.

Nice bike too.
Old 27-05-2013, 10:35 AM   #3
FRD888XR8

OK, got a report from pedders to repair the lot,

1.5k drive in drive out, parts & labor

few ball joints & swaybar bushes on front end + rear controll arm bushes + some ball joints as well and as I knew it, the rear diff bush is gone

do you think 1.5k is too much ? I am off to the centrelink to see how much I can get for the repair " JOKIN !!!!!!!!!! " Lol

seriously is it too much ? I think my tax return should cover it
Old 27-05-2013, 11:25 AM   #4
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pedders are con artists. If you drive a brand new car in there and get them to look over the suspension, they will find "worn" bushes.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-05-2013, 11:39 AM   #5
05_ENFORCER

Nice example of a naked, clean easy graphics and as nice loud pipe by the looks of it.

If you are mechanically minded, of which you look to be, and have access to a hoist, it will be more satisfying to remove the rear cradle and DIY.

If you have a press, even better.

I did my Territory on the garage floor with a floor jack when my patience was at an all time high.

A rear bush set (complete) is about $800.00 , just the diff bush kit is around $200.00

Good luck in what you decide

Old 27-05-2013, 01:04 PM   #6
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If they are going to do front and rear bushes, ball joints etc and that $1500 is going to cover all the parts and labour, GST etc. Then I think it is a good price.

The Diff bushj alone, I have been priced at $1200 for my BA GT.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2013, 07:15 PM   #7
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Tech article on rear bushes. 

Yeah that's an amazingly low price really. I'd get it in writing I think before you accept.

I got quotes up in the $3000s for the rear cradle to be dropped and diff bushes and arm bushes to be replaced.
2 users like this post:
Old 27-05-2013, 07:57 PM   #8
lucas2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got my diff bushes changed at nizpro for only $599 incl parts and labour, the job was finished in less than 2 hours. I was extremely happy with them and their service. Any suspension shop that knows what they are doing should be able to do it in under 4 hours.
lucas2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2013, 10:55 AM   #9
FRD888XR8

this is pretty much it, I am thinking in tackling the fron end issues myself as this is the easy part and let him do the back end as I can not afford to keep that car off the road.

I am sure I can handle the craddle & diff bushes but it would take me a lot of my time, wife preggo & in the middle of a house reno ... I doubt it is goin to happen.

this is the quote I have

Also thenks for the compliments on the bike, It is my pride and joy.

this is not the site for it but id yall want I can post phots of the gsxr1100 project from start to end ;-)

Cheers all
Old 28-05-2013, 10:57 AM   #10
FRD888XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas2 View Post
I got my diff bushes changed at nizpro for only $599 incl parts and labour, the job was finished in less than 2 hours. I was extremely happy with them and their service. Any suspension shop that knows what they are doing should be able to do it in under 4 hours.
damn it, nizpro are not is NSW ....
Old 28-05-2013, 11:02 AM   #11
FRD888XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05_ENFORCER View Post
Nice example of a naked, clean easy graphics and as nice loud pipe by the looks of it.

Thanks mate, although the pipe looks short and loud, I devised a little baffle insert to keep the back pressure on the bike and quiet it down a little.

I have good neighbours and mutual respect and courtesy are a must on my books, not to mention shitting other road users for no reason.

I had a few runs on the track (EC) no baffle insert in it.... and yes, it is disrespectfully loud when you go full noise at the end of the straight !
Old 28-05-2013, 11:08 AM   #12
05_ENFORCER

OT, start a thread and post some pics in the two wheels section, I'm sure there will be a few more around here that would love to see more of it.

Old 21-06-2013, 07:19 PM   #13
FRD888XR8

Suspension done, Pedders did an excellent job, Zero noise on the road, apart from bits & pieces loose on my centre console or glove box ... dang need to clean my car

Next week tackle the saggy roof lining
Old 19-07-2013, 04:21 PM   #14
FRD888XR8

Roof lining was pushed asside as I got myself a set of alloys from a FG falcon, yes they are only 17's but I dont like the functionality of anything bigger than 18's unles the car was made with it, also my 17 tyres were about 90% good so .... 320 bucks later and here it is