Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-05-2013, 12:13 PM   #31
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Will Fpv vehicles become collectible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetman View Post
There was only 1 GT-R spec I thought.
The BF was a Cobra R-spec and the 40th anniversary GT was an R-spec
If I had the dosh, there is a FGmk2 R-spec GT in winter white on carsales for $84,990 with sat/nav and premium brakes. I would buy that like right now and give the salesman a grouse bottle of terps for letting me buy it.
Mate they are all R-Spec, including the F6, arguably the F6 was the first stand alone R-spec, as it was just an R-spec FPV.

However the first official R-spec is the FPV GT 40th Anniversary model, as it introduced the R-spec badge to the world:

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2013, 12:29 PM   #32
jamies

To me my Fpv will be a special vehicle.. Someone who keeps there car low k's and sheded isn't a wa$ker, I'd say more like a careful owner.
Old 26-05-2013, 12:40 PM   #33
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

After the news this week, I am going to take my more collectable 5.4L 6speed manual, Brembo equipped FPV out for a drive today and enjoy the rush of owning one of the best performance cars of this era...

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2013, 01:21 PM   #34
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

To be fair I think most are missing mr smiths point......

I don't think he has a problem with the enthusiast looking after his/her car by keeping the thing shedded and low K's so as to be able to enjoy it long into the future, but with those buying a vehicle that have no interest other than the supposed future monetary value of a "low K always shedded" car.....

Personally if making money was my sole motivation i wouldn't be doing it with a car, i don't have 30 years to wait to see if it pays off....

Edit: I'm certainly glad "investors" didn't have the same ideas back in the late 70s and through the 80s, i wouldn't have been able to enjoy the 6 GTs that passed through my hands otherwise....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe

Last edited by DJR-351; 26-05-2013 at 01:34 PM.
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 26-05-2013, 10:22 PM   #35
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
To be fair I think most are missing mr smiths point......

I don't think he has a problem with the enthusiast looking after his/her car by keeping the thing shedded and low K's so as to be able to enjoy it long into the future, but with those buying a vehicle that have no interest other than the supposed future monetary value of a "low K always shedded" car.....

Personally if making money was my sole motivation i wouldn't be doing it with a car, i don't have 30 years to wait to see if it pays off....

Edit: I'm certainly glad "investors" didn't have the same ideas back in the late 70s and through the 80s, i wouldn't have been able to enjoy the 6 GTs that passed through my hands otherwise....
Correct.
I know two blokes that fall into the idiot category, one a Mustang Fastback that has been restored to the end degree and never driven. He knows all the codes and facts about stangs but has no authority on how they go coz he has never driven one!
Other clown was another Eddie expert on Holden's and had a early 2000s Clubsport that was driven around the block after being washed every week.
Nothing wrong with a daily hack and a weekender that gets used as intended.
My XR was used for hours driving back country (including dirt) roads this afternoon, Ace.

Last edited by flappist; 27-05-2013 at 09:17 PM. Reason: swear filter
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-05-2013, 08:50 PM   #36
GREGL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
i wouldnt be to concerned, knowledge and know how always moves with the era car.. lot of clever dudes are all over the common faults and fixes for newer stuffs..

mechanically its all the same pistons go up and down, gears go roundy roundy and diffs still go pop....

cost wise same same.. injectors and fuel pump v old school.. you'll blow a grand on a carb alone eeeeeeasy....

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmc
Sigh. Theres always one.

It's temporary mate, and yes I'm pretty glad you don't live near me too.

Though averages being what they are, someone like you probably does.
I'm getting to old to get my head around all the new tech and the old tools (you know things like the hammer) don't cut it anymore . Where's this wire go ,not sure but whack her in there and see what happens. Can't do that anymore and for me it means paying someone to do it.
Your 100% correct though , just like any era there are the clever buggers , when I was in my teens I lived and breathed cars , now I just don't have the time nor energy to bother with new a new learning curve (a basic understanding is enough for me) .
GREGL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2013, 09:13 PM   #37
GREGL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No offence but isn't that what the GT enigma was built on in the early days , winning motor races. Or more specifically that was the reason it was created to win Bathurst and sell cars.
Nowadays there is no comparison between a road car and the equivalent race car so there is no race heritage per se .
GREGL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2013, 11:25 PM   #38
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Old classics are simple and usually easy to work on.

Since present day cars are giant computers will they really still be working in 30-50 years?
If they are working, how complicated and expensive will they be to repair?
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2013, 07:50 AM   #39
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREGL View Post
No offence but isn't that what the GT enigma was built on in the early days , winning motor races. Or more specifically that was the reason it was created to win Bathurst and sell cars.
Nowadays there is no comparison between a road car and the equivalent race car so there is no race heritage per se .
Different cars mean different things to different generations. Just because the current GT has nothing to do with racing does not mean, people will not pay massive prices for them down the track.

It just means a person is buying the car for a different reason. Maybe in 20 years’ time, someone will buy a GT because their dad had one when they were 5 or 6.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2013, 08:23 AM   #40
GQ_Smooth
Long live the inline 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled View Post
Different cars mean different things to different generations. Just because the current GT has nothing to do with racing does not mean, people will not pay massive prices for them down the track.

It just means a person is buying the car for a different reason. Maybe in 20 years’ time, someone will buy a GT because their dad had one when they were 5 or 6.
Or they want to buy one because they remember going to a V8SC race with dad back in the day when there were RWD Falcons and Commodores racing each other, what were, "wait for it" MADE IN AUSTRALIA (what a novel idea), and it is the last link to it?

And modern cars for 2030 are far to complex to work on outside factory trained mechanics, at least with the Aussie cars of yester-year, any mechanic can work on it.

Hers
BFII Ghia
GQ_Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2013, 08:25 AM   #41
LTDHO
The one and only

I wasn't really around during out muscle car era. I know that they were mega cheap in the 80's only to be worth a mint today.
These cars have race in their veins, race straight out of the dealer. I think that's what makes the cars collectable.
FPV is nothing like it's race car cousin (I ofen argued they should be). It is more of an enhanced car.
Sure they'll be collectables. All cars are in a fashion. Availability and condition will depict their worth.

In ten years time will we see heaps of BA GT mockups that were XT's?
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2013, 09:49 AM   #42
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

there's more to it than king of the hill on the mountain.. there's king of the hill on the streets..
if I only ha dollar for everytime I've tucked a GT in bed at 3am with the sound of hot exhaust and smell of fresh rubber up the guards........
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 28-05-2013, 02:10 PM   #43
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

I love nothing more than taking the GT out on the highway. Eating a few japcrap and grey nomads for breakfast. Collect-ability pfffftt. Enjoyment yes.
Enthusiasts are the people that buy GT's because they can remember the fun they had when they were younger.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2013, 02:20 PM   #44
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
A lot of people must think they will be collectable because the dealers are saying they have had a huge rush on people making enquiries about buying GT's.

So more than a few people seem to think so and want to buy one as a collectable.
How many of those enquiries turn into sales when they realise they aren't heavily discounted in a 'closing down' sale like rugs a million?
Alan D Segal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2013, 04:26 PM   #45
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr smith View Post

To answer the question - Collectable maybe, commanding mega bucks no.
Yeah..... I kinda agree with this.
They wont command mega bucks but the recent announcement from Ford should see the used car prices stabilise for FPV's over the short term and maybe increase slightly in the longer term aftr the final GT rolls out of broady.

I for one would never lock up the GT and wrap it in cotton wool in the hope it will be worth 20k more in 5 years time than it does now. What I will do is make sure its insured for a bucket load in case something happens to it....( an interesting topic in itself )...but Bluey will continue to be my daily transport to work and I'll do my best to ensure its always in top condition.

I think as owners we like to think they will be worth 100k+ in 10 years time.....but in reality.....maybe 50+ for B and F series and 70-90 for the latest supercharged and R spec jobbies.
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post