Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-12-2005, 04:53 PM   #1
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default O/T Opinions on RZ250R?

OK .. straight up .. I haven't had anything to do with motorbikes in 20years, since I used to ride them out the bush before I was old enough to drive. Currently I do not have a bike license, nor do I know anything specifically useful about motorbikes (other than what translates from cars).

I've bought a property 25km from work (mostly 100km/h) and thought might be good to ride motorbike to work when I can. My brother-in-law has a 1991 Yammy RZ250R which he tells me is a fairly powerful learners bike. It's fast enough for my liking, but I'm more concerned about parts availability (older bike) and reliability (two-stroke). Opinions??

Thanks,
Rod.

OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2005, 05:15 PM   #2
HOON69
Banned

not a bad bike had one ages ago
depending on state and that
parts are still available though most yammy work shops wont touch em these days unless its the newest model out..

their mechnics are lazy mofo's i reckon.
OCAU would be the place to be asking questions.

what shape do you have if its the mid/late 80's then you'd be right for parts
i know i am here in qld...

though i own a TZR250

Last edited by HOON69; 28-12-2005 at 05:23 PM.
HOON69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2005, 11:20 PM   #3
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

Get an aprilia RS250!

THere the best learners bike (if you enjoy getting scared every time you hop on)
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2005, 11:25 PM   #4
fasty

Just check to see if you can ride it on your learners. As far as I know 2 strokes must be 125 cc. Otherwise GO for it.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2005, 11:26 PM   #5
The Monty
Just slidin'

Or an RGV 250!!
Old 29-12-2005, 08:31 AM   #6
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What state are you in? In NSW you CAN ride 250 2 strokes as just SOME are prohibited (e.g. RGV250 but not RG250) but I don't think that one is (never even heard of it to tell you the truth...)

As far as reliability goes on a 2 stroke you have to rebuild the top end fairly regularly if you are commuting and racking up kays (easy to do yourself and fairly cheap), and smokers also dont like sitting on a constant speed so you have to vary it a lot which may be hard when commuting on a freeway or such.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2005, 08:45 AM   #7
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
What state are you in? In NSW you CAN ride 250 2 strokes as just SOME are prohibited (e.g. RGV250 but not RG250) but I don't think that one is (never even heard of it to tell you the truth...)

As far as reliability goes on a 2 stroke you have to rebuild the top end fairly regularly if you are commuting and racking up kays (easy to do yourself and fairly cheap), and smokers also dont like sitting on a constant speed so you have to vary it a lot which may be hard when commuting on a freeway or such.
VicRoads only talk about 260cc max capacity, so I suppose thats OK. As for the rebuild, I'd be happy to do it myself (parts??), or my Dad (mechanic) or my brother-in-law (ex-motorbike dude). The trip is 25km thru mostly bush and a lot of twists and turns so I suppose one speed isn't a problem
Thanks All!
Rod.
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2005, 08:59 AM   #8
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin
The trip is 25km thru mostly bush and a lot of twists and turns so I suppose one speed isn't a problem
Thanks All!
Rod.
You should have a ball then! By the way it is every 15,000kms that it will need a rebuild and your looking at about $100 - $300 dollars.

Check this thread out for specific info about the RZ250R: RZ250R
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2005, 10:08 AM   #9
aimzes
...fairly odd

Quote:
Or an RGV 250!!
possibly the best learners bike ever made...