Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-12-2012, 10:15 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation Holden Commodore ute looks set to get an export deal.

Holden ute to the USA

By Joshua Dowling
Carsguide
06 December 2012

Holden Commodore ute looks set to get an export deal.

The homegrown Holden ute is almost certain to follow in the tyre tracks of its Commodore sedan stablemate and be exported to North America.

The Commodore will be sold in the US from next year as a performance sedan and now it seems the ute will follow soon after. Reports out of the US claim that General Motors has renewed the trademark of the El Camino name, an iconic car-based Chevrolet pick-up sold between 1959 and 1977.

The classic 1970s El Camino has earned recent notoriety in the hit TV series, 'My Name Is Earl' and North American enthusiasts have longed for a revival of the iconic model. The Holden ute was supposed to be exported to North America in 2009 -- all re-engineering work was completed and the car was even unveiled by rapper 50 Cent at the New York Motor Show as a Pontiac.

But that deal ended before exports could begin because the brand was folded in the wake of the Global Financial Crisis. Holden spokesman Sean Poppitt told News Limited: "We haven't made a decision on the next generation ute or its presence in export markets outside Australia.

"However there is the free trade agreement between the US and Australia which means we are not precluded from selling Australian-made light commercial vehicles in the US market." Foreign pick ups and utes rarely make it onto North American soil because they are subject to a 25 per cent import tariff. The US and Australia FTA means there is no tariff barrier.

The US website GM Authority reports that the Chevrolet El Camino trademark was renewed on August 9, 2012. "Any speculation on the trademarking of the El Camino name is just that: speculation. However we are keeping our options open," the Holden spokesman said.
http://www.carsguide.com.au/news-and...sa?origin=hpc2

My question why cann't Ford Aus export to America ???????????????

Last edited by csv8; 13-12-2012 at 10:53 AM.
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2012, 10:22 PM   #2
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Holden Commodore ute looks set to get an export deal.

That's nice, shame they won't make a cent from them though, what with our dollar plus the fact that yanks won't buy them.
Ford_The_Win is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2012, 10:29 PM   #3
nstg8a

Ford can't because ford na won't let them, because there's no money tobe made
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2012, 10:33 PM   #4
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

I call it an unconfirmed pipe dream from Mr. Dowling.

Amazing how rumors and theories can be spun into facts by journalists
and articles skewed to promote or condemn depending on the brand...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 07-12-2012, 10:35 PM   #5
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Considering that the Ute is considered a light truck and light trucks from Canada, Mexico and Australia receive a 0% tariff, it actually makes sense to send Utes to the US. The rest of the world gets a massive 25% tariff on light trucks exported to the US - including Japan and Thailand.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2012, 10:52 PM   #6
Bossxr8
Peter Car

So GM renewed the rights to the El Camino name, just like they probably have for the last 30 years, and suddenly it means the Holden ute is going to the US.

Talk about adding 2+2 and getting 45839.

Maybe someone should check to see if Ford have renewed the rights to the Ranchero, because if they have in the last 30 years it must mean the Falcon ute is going to the US. You read it here first folks.

But in saying that it would be cool if they did export the ute to the US as the Ranchero.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-12-2012, 10:54 PM   #7
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
So GM renewed the rights to the El Camino name, just like they probably have for the last 30 years, and suddenly it means the Holden ute is going to the US.

Talk about adding 2+2 and getting 45839.

Maybe someone should check to see if Ford have renewed the rights to the Ranchero, because if they have in the last 30 years it must mean the Falcon ute is going to the US. You read it here first folks.

But in saying that it would be cool if they did export the ute to the US as the Ranchero.
That would be magnificent, especially with a supercharged 5 litre, and because it is built in Australia it would be cheap for US customers. I know the RTV was very popular on US forums.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:59 PM   #8
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
Considering that the Ute is considered a light truck and light trucks from Canada, Mexico and Australia receive a 0% tariff, it actually makes sense to send Utes to the US. The rest of the world gets a massive 25% tariff on light trucks exported to the US - including Japan and Thailand.
Why not, it makes just as much sense as Caprice PPV....
Old 07-12-2012, 11:01 PM   #9
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Why not, it makes just as much sense as Caprice PPV....
Hmmm not so sure about that, the Caprice is in a VERY competitive market. A Ute would be pretty much on its own. Although I understand your comment was tongue-in-cheek :-)
Old 07-12-2012, 11:30 PM   #10
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

If it means a brighter future for Oz manufacturing, then I hope to God it happens.
And I hope that its so successful in the US that FoA consider doing the same with the Falcon.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 07-12-2012, 11:48 PM   #11
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
That would be magnificent, especially with a supercharged 5 litre, and because it is built in Australia it would be cheap for US customers. I know the RTV was very popular on US forums.
It could probably only come with a V8, as they wouldn't want an orphan I6 and the Ecoboost isn't available in utes, and its doubtful someone who would buy a Falcon ute in the US would want a 4 potter anyway.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2012, 11:56 PM   #12
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hmmm not so sure about that, the Caprice is in a VERY competitive market. A Ute would be pretty much on its own. Although I understand your comment was tongue-in-cheek :-)
LOL, not meaning to pick a fight but you have to ask yourself why in the USA, a huge market, there are no "El Caminos".
I think time is up for Zeta go around in the USA, the audience is luke warm at best...

Good luck to Holden but fans shouldn't be expecting thousands of Chevrolet SS sales each month...
Old 07-12-2012, 11:59 PM   #13
4stanger