Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-12-2005, 01:19 AM   #1
martO
meh

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his efforts in creating the monthly Photoshop competitions and advice/tips on how to use Photoshop. 
Default My first car accident....

Hmmm, doesnt it suck when your pride and joy crumbles in front of your eyes. What hurts even more is when you do absolutely nothing wrong, except drive like a normal citizen.

So heres my story. I drove out of my driveway this morning, at about 9.00 am, pulled out of my estate, with my mates and his girlfriend in the car, then turned onto the main road in my local area ... i drive down the road for about half a jiffy, or 15 seconds in other words and bam ! ... Driver runs straight through intersection, without slowing down (60-70 odd km/h) completely oblivious to the fact that hes crossing a main road and that there is TWO give way signs. Im left with no where to go, and at 50-60 kays i hit the brakes and hit the side of his 85 model hilux at around the tray area. Hardly any damage to his car, and all i can say is my car has looked a lot better.

I had plenty of witnesses which is great and they all knew he was in the wrong. Bright side is, i get whole new front and i lose my little stone chips.

Thats my story ...

P.S. there is ALWAYS so many accidents at this intersection and the council after all this time have not lifted a finger. I was the unlucky latest victim !

Photos:

Before:

After:

Sorry if pics are too big

Old 04-12-2005, 01:22 AM   #2
rodderz

Not good to hear mate... sometimes it's hard to trust other drivers out on the road

You have kept your EB in fantastic knick though!
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2005, 01:25 AM   #3
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Most important thing is no one was hurt. So at least you'll have no more stone chips, got to be happy with that.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2005, 01:30 AM   #4
martO
meh

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his efforts in creating the monthly Photoshop competitions and advice/tips on how to use Photoshop. 

Cheers rodderz, yeh i get that a lot, its still the original paint and in great condition. Well, WAS the original paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEL
Most important thing is no one was hurt. So at least you'll have no more stone chips, got to be happy with that.
Mate I am so lucky, if I accelerated a second quicker, it could have possibly be a lot worse, my mates probably wouldnt be here today and i would never ever get over it. Lucky also there was no other cars in the on coming lane that the ute could have hit as it spun around....
Old 04-12-2005, 01:37 AM   #5
jamO
Starter Motor

Ah poor eb :(. Still is 1 of the best cars i have ever driven.
martO can i have your wheels ;)
Old 04-12-2005, 01:50 AM   #6
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Marto - that car is (was) schmick. I assume no-one was injured? That's the main thing. The other bit of good news is that you could now get an ED XR front for it. Would make it look even "schmicker", IMO.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT

Last edited by JC; 04-12-2005 at 01:58 AM.
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2005, 06:48 AM   #7
XRated
Shoot.

Beautiful car as is. No XR front! Just get is sorted ASAP!

B-E-A-utiful!!

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2005, 10:07 AM   #8
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

Ahh that's a real shame, the paint looked bloody awesome.

That red colour of the old EBs tends to really come up well when you shine it - my cousin's EBII wagon is the same colour and when you polish it, looks a million bucks.

Also, what's the name of the panel shop its in?
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2005, 10:26 AM   #9
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

You are definitely lucky ... could have been a lot worse ... I was expecting a lot more damage as well.

should be good when it's call fixed up too.

Glad you to hear no one was hurt and you are all safe and sound.

And I must admit ... that's one hell of a shmick EB ... and will be again when it's all fixed.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2005, 11:47 AM   #10
HOON69
Banned

damn that would of been scary tray def gave your front a serving (as it would)

hopefully you get it back looking even better then it was..
utes insured ay ;)
HOON69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2005, 11:54 AM   #11
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mate thats bad luck , but one positive is that you will have the sagging front bumper (that EA-ED's are notorious for) fixed free-of-charge!
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2005, 12:01 PM   #12
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

A large portion of crashes resulting in death, serious and light injury trauma, and non-injury crashes occur at intersections.

Such joy.

Worth now getting bonnet protector and headlight covers seeing as how yer car will be fixed up?
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2005, 12:17 PM   #13
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

that sucks marto. I hope they fix it up real well for you, that thing looks absolutely mint in those before pics! ;)
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2005, 02:15 PM   #14
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

looks like a real well kept car before the bingle, good job!
Did any mechanical damage occur that could possibly cause future problems?
Hope it all turns out ok!
SSBUB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2005, 05:49 PM   #15
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by martO
Hmmm, doesnt it suck when your pride and joy crumbles in front of your eyes. What hurts even more is when you do absolutely nothing wrong, except drive like a normal citizen.
It absolutely sure does. I wrecked a mint 74 Cortina that was a 1 in a million car after some clown punched a red light and I punched him in the drivers side door. I was in love with that car and was in the process of turning it into my first project.

Thankfully they don't make cars like they used to and if I wrote off my BA XR8 it's easily replaceable. :P
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2005, 07:24 PM   #16
martO
meh

Thanx for the comments guys, I will let yas all know more information as it gets assessed on monday or tuesday.

JC-XRWgn: Nah luckily nobody was hurt at all, it wasnt really as much an impact as it was a hit and rip at the front.

XRated: Don't worry, I plan to keep the EB XR front ;), EB XRs are what started it all and are somewhat of a rare car these days, especially in 5 spd.

Hunter: Yeh the paint is remarkable, when I park next to other faded red EBs you really notice how well the paint has kept. The panel beater is called Bayers smash repair in loganholme. Apparantly they are top notch and expensive, which is reasurring to know. Also the fact that there was an $80K monaro in there with $40K worth of damage and a rolled BA XR6 makes me think its a place that knows their stuff.

Mechan1k: Since the accident I have been constantly thinking of all the things that could have gone wrong, and I am just so lucky that this was the extent of the damage.

HOON69: Yeh, the only thing that let the car down was the stone chips, so I will feel prouder now i guess. I have no idea if the ute had insurance as he seemed a bit dodgey, first when my dad asked, yeh sure it has insurance, then after, err its not my car and im not sure who its insured with.

cArSiK: Heh, the sagging bumper annoyed me, lets hope it stays nice this time.

Keepleft: I am a young fella who likes his car to look good, so knowing me I wouldnt get the bonnet protector and stuff :(. I think it looks better without.

GlennAUII: Thanx, so do I.

SSBUB: I doubt anything mechanical really happened, so just cosmetic, I hope. cheers

Thanx for the comments guys, will keep yas updated.
Old 05-12-2005, 01:51 AM   #17
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It'll buff out _2:
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2005, 02:04 AM   #18
gtfpv
GT

what a way too have a 1st accident . man you are blessed . cheers minimal damage . not your fault . witnesses . no one hurt . and the most precious driver education anyone can ever experiance . from now on you will be much more respectfull of the road . lets hope it is your last . go buy a bottle of wine . make it an expensive one and enjoy.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2005, 10:34 PM   #19
martO
meh

Hey guys, I found out more about my car last friday but I havent posted anymore as I was hoping to have the car back by then and I could post pictures of the final result again. The quote is $4500 !, thats with a second hand bonnet and headlights, as that saves them $1500 and it would have been in write-off territory. They assure me that the parts will be of quality though.

They also said it will be done by christmas, so I should finaly have my car back looking as good as ever.

cheers martO
Old 18-12-2005, 11:02 AM   #20
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

He's very lucky no-one was injured. What a shame. It was a bloody nice looking EB!!! Hopefully it'll be back on the road soon.
Mesa is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post